Author Topic: Bolton wanderers  (Read 9389 times)

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Re: Bolton wanderers
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2018, 01:45:33 pm »
Lived & worked in Bolton when they first went into the Premier league managing JJB's opposite the 3 Crowns. 

1. I was on commission as manager and made a shed load off the shirt sales and

2. the fans fucking hated the Mancs and it really stemmed from the fact that they were incorporated into the Greater Manchester area rather than Lancashire.  Got to know their local "crew" as it were - they always got 20% staff discount (the number of relatives i had was unbelievable in that discount book i had to fill in every time i sold something) certainly better than having them nicking it or causing aggro.

Really were good days there.  So i hope they come out of it ok.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2018, 02:42:23 pm »
Got a bit of a soft spot for Bolton as I lived there in 95/96 working for JJB. It was the year they went to the Premier League. Made me a decent pay packet as I got commission on shop takings and we sold a shed load of the kit. Players came in regular. Hope they get someone to take over and dig them out of this hole

Lived & worked in Bolton when they first went into the Premier league managing JJB's opposite the 3 Crowns. 

1. I was on commission as manager and made a shed load off the shirt sales and

2. the fans fucking hated the Mancs and it really stemmed from the fact that they were incorporated into the Greater Manchester area rather than Lancashire.  Got to know their local "crew" as it were - they always got 20% staff discount (the number of relatives i had was unbelievable in that discount book i had to fill in every time i sold something) certainly better than having them nicking it or causing aggro.

Really were good days there.  So i hope they come out of it ok.

;D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 03:15:39 pm »
haha - that's 3 years ago - i can't even remember 3 hours ago. 

did i mention i have a soft spot for bolton - lived there back in 95/96 and worked at JJB's

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 03:23:41 pm »
Was that around the time they got promoted? I bet you must have earned a shed load in commission.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 03:25:31 pm »
Was that around the time they got promoted? I bet you must have earned a shed load in commission.

It was. Did you know the ex gaffer of JJB's Whelan broke his leg in an FA Cup final?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2018, 03:28:02 pm »
It was. Did you know the ex gaffer of JJB's Whelan broke his leg in an FA Cup final?

He speaks about it less than you do about your time in Bolton  ;D

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2018, 03:31:18 pm »
He speaks about it less than you do about your time in Bolton  ;D

Bolton? Have i ever mentioned my time there?...............

Online rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2018, 07:02:16 pm »
My grandad was from Bolton so have a soft spot for them. He's long passed now but he used to tell me this story about getting 20% discount in JJBs on shirts because the daft c*nt working there could never remember him day to day. Used to flog them on to his mates at full price. Paid for his season ticket.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2018, 07:30:47 pm »
Bolton? Have i ever mentioned my time there?...............
No you didn't. Did you live there?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2018, 08:05:34 pm »
My grandad was from Bolton so have a soft spot for them. He's long passed now but he used to tell me this story about getting 20% discount in JJBs on shirts because the daft c*nt working there could never remember him day to day. Used to flog them on to his mates at full price. Paid for his season ticket.

:D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2018, 08:07:54 pm »
I went to the old Burnden Park a couple of times with a mate who supported them. He’s been to Anfield with me and hates United. So on that vast amount of knowledge I hope they’re ok.

On the flip side I went into a JJB there back in the 90s and the store manager was an absolute arsehole.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2018, 11:29:26 pm »

;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2018, 05:20:42 pm »
No longer in threat of administration after the loan was repaid.

I’m sure that’ll be great news to anyone who may have lived and worked there previously. Not that we’re likely to have anyone on here.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2018, 05:36:13 pm »

I’m sure that’ll be great news to anyone who may have lived and worked there previously. Not that we’re likely to have anyone on here.

I was hoping to get a job there, maybe across from the stadium. Bet I could meet some players and their ultras too.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2018, 07:40:29 pm »

Good news.....did I ever mention

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2018, 08:05:17 pm »
Ziltoid worked in manchester as well, ( he doesnt mention that as much though)!!

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2018, 08:23:32 pm »
c*nt, just one stop up from that sack of shite. Cheers, Andy

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2018, 01:32:29 pm »
c*nt, just one stop up from that sack of shite. Cheers, Andy

Was listening to the Indy podcast and the insufferable Miguel Delaney was mentioning how Old Trafford has become a bit inadequate sitting in the stands (he probably meant the area the press sit) and how Anfield is easily the best now.

In terms of capacity, is it the biggest it gets or they can add more? I guess they would have done that by now if it was the latter.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2018, 11:45:25 pm »

Jhahahahahhahaa
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #59 on: October 5, 2018, 12:21:36 pm »
Ah this is disappointing. Thought there was an update regarding Ziltoid's time there.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #60 on: October 5, 2018, 12:36:29 pm »
Ah this is disappointing. Thought there was an update regarding Ziltoid's time there.

Wait, Ziltoid spent time in Bolton?

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #61 on: October 5, 2018, 02:00:23 pm »
I did Craig, I tend to keep quiet about it though.  Worked at JJB's.  PM me and I'll go more in depth - not something i go around shouting about on message boards.  :-X

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #62 on: October 5, 2018, 07:00:02 pm »

:lmao
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #63 on: October 9, 2018, 01:46:48 pm »

My God. You couldn't make it up.

https://twitter.com/PKendrickWIG/status/1049629436541366272

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 9, 2018, 06:31:11 pm »
My God. You couldn't make it up.

https://twitter.com/PKendrickWIG/status/1049629436541366272

'Dave Whelan's broken leg making it into the 126-page document submitted by IEC to the Hong Kong stock exchange is the best thing you'll see today.'

:lmao that is brilliant.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #65 on: October 9, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »
'Dave Whelan's broken leg making it into the 126-page document submitted by IEC to the Hong Kong stock exchange is the best thing you'll see today.'

:lmao that is brilliant.

Why the fuck wasn't I mentioned? Bastards. Then again maybe they wanted to paint it in a good light.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #66 on: October 9, 2018, 08:12:28 pm »
Why the fuck wasn't I mentioned? Bastards. Then again maybe they wanted to paint it in a good light.

Zilts broke Dave Whelan's leg...

Learn something new every day on RAWK...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2019, 12:16:50 pm »
Still in deep shit. Some embarrassing stuff from the club.

Even by the standards set over the last five years, it has been a calamitous few weeks for Bolton Wanderers. The club’s players appealed to the Professional Footballers’ Association after they failed to receive November’s wages; Norwich City recalled Remi Matthews from his loan after expressing their concern that he had not been paid.

The club then banned excellent local journalist Marc Iles, citing his use of a ‘disrespectful’ gif on Twitter. Supporters protested before and after the FA Cup tie against Walsall. And Forest Green Rovers accused owner Ken Anderson of negligence over his broken promises surrounding the transfer of Christian Doidge. Bolton’s advent calendar contained something brown behind every daily window, but it wasn’t chocolate.

Anderson’s response merits reading several times to appreciate fully. “Despite the regular references to the non-payment of players’ salaries, the reality is that the majority of the players’ salaries have only been paid late once in nearly three years since I have been at the club,” he said via a club statement on Tuesday. “I really do hope that this can now be the end of this saga and that we can all now focus on getting behind the team and management and getting the results we so dearly need to help us climb the table.”

That is some supreme ‘nothing to see here’ work. It’s like Edward Smith, captain of the Titanic, expressing his offended disappointment that passengers are focusing purely on the negatives. ‘You hit one iceberg and nobody shuts up about it. Can’t you all just focus on reaching New York?’

By Wednesday afternoon, Anderson again used Bolton’s official website as his teenage diary, calling owner Dale Vince the strangest person he had ever met in the game, attacking fans organising protests, citing the club’s stadium hosting rugby league matches and concerts as a high point of his ownership and quoting English poet John Lydgate and Winston Churchill. No Bolton Wanderers club statement is worth missing.
https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status/1082992476359720960

Once, many moons and several managers ago, Bolton were the poster boys of provincial club Premier League over-achievement. Those were the days of Jay-Jay Okocha free-kicks and big clubs with bruised noses, when Sam Allardyce would say the name “Youri” as if he were describing his first-born child and every kid in Farnworth wanted curly hair like Ivan Campo.

Now they are emblematic of a different message, an Icarus tale of financial ruin that shows signs of escalating and unravelling even further in 2019.

This is not all on Anderson. Former chairman Phil Gartside, once a paragon of football club stewardship, gained a reputation within the game for paying exorbitant fees to agents that sometimes reached 30% of transfer fees. Let’s give the lawyers a day off and conclude that Bolton fell foul of a commonplace mistake: handing out lofty wages and long contracts to expensive players who promptly grossly underachieved.

Relegation from the top flight in 2012 was not followed by swift promotion, meaning Bolton were living a Premier League lifestyle on Football League budgets. By 2014, their debts were calculated to be £168.3m. That’s almost seven times the cost of building the Reebok Stadium, now sponsored by the local university.

But if Anderson didn’t start the fire, the accusation from Bolton supporters is that he has wandered around the club carelessly with a lit cigarette and petrol can. Taking over in March 2016, he was tasked with leading Bolton away from economic despair. Three years later, the situation is more fraught still.

It is worth detailing – for completeness’ sake, you understand – Anderson’s business history. He was disqualified from being a company director for eight years in 2005 after being found guilty of misdemeanours relating to eight different companies, including diverting funds from businesses to his personal account. Having bought Bolton for a nominal fee of £1, he paid himself £525,000 in consultancy fees in his first year, according to The Times. The legal accusations made by Forest Green owner Vince may well be explored further.

In September, Bolton only avoided administration after former owner Eddie Davies – who had already written off vast debts – gave the club £5m days before he passed away. In the summer, players had gone on strike and refused to play a friendly against St Mirren over unpaid wages and bonuses. The squad issued a statement detailing ‘unacceptable treatment’ at the hands of their club.

It’s time to mention actual football, although the future is no less bleak there. Bolton have won five of their 26 Championship games – and two of the last 22 – and sit in the bottom three. In their last league game at Hull City, they conceded five times in 20 second-half minutes. Having inspired a mini-miracle to keep Bolton out of League One last season, manager Phil Parkinson has run out of water to turn into wine.

Owner Anderson’s principal response appears to be burying his head into the sand – the ‘No Ken do’ attitude. Supporters groups have expressed anger at his lack of communication, players have revealed their frustration at the club’s operations and fans have now had enough. Banning Iles, ostensibly for doing his job and doing it well, was a disastrous PR move on Anderson’s part. There is a general rule here: Football clubs don’t ban journalists unless they have something to hide.

Financial crisis can unite a football club. These are social institutions, propped up by the cares and memories of tens of thousands of people and therefore almost magically resilient. Supporters and communities come together in the hope of saving something special. Just ask Portsmouth, now only three places below Bolton in the Football League ladder.

It therefore takes some doing to kill hope within a football club, but Anderson has already administered plenty of the thousand required cuts. Unless he leaves, Bolton supporters believe, the club will never move away from the edge of the cliff.

Until then, this famous old club will record only infamy and lurch closer to financial oblivion. “This time next year we’ll be millionaires,” as those other famous Trotters once believed. Right now, even pocket money is a pipe dream.

https://www.football365.com/news/bolton-wanderers-theyve-all-got-it-infamy