Author Topic: Older places that have gone/changed in Liverpool  (Read 82467 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Older places that have gone/changed in Liverpool
« Reply #440 on: October 26, 2017, 09:36:52 pm »
Yup recognise that.

I was in South Grove. The whole east side of that street was knocked down years ago plus the whole area is unstable due to cave-ins in the old overhead railway Dingle terminus (which is ironically underground......)

There was the collapse in the garage there a few years back wasn’t there.

I wonder if they’ve sorted the instability, as they’re throwing up new houses opposite the Toxteth Chapel at the moment which is close by.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #441 on: October 26, 2017, 10:48:48 pm »
There was the collapse in the garage there a few years back wasn’t there.

I wonder if they’ve sorted the instability, as they’re throwing up new houses opposite the Toxteth Chapel at the moment which is close by.
Roscoe Engineering yeah. Was all sealed off last time I looked. If they're building now it must be ok. Loved that chapel though - oldest free church in the country or something daft like that....400+ right? Must be some good pix of that place knocking around...

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #442 on: October 27, 2017, 08:34:25 am »
the whole area is unstable due to cave-ins in the old overhead railway Dingle terminus (which is ironically underground......)

really?...the old station is at least 1.5 miles from there...and the tunnel entered the Dingle at Grafton St/Herculaneum Dock which is a mile away
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #443 on: October 27, 2017, 08:50:45 am »
Roscoe Engineering yeah. Was all sealed off last time I looked. If they're building now it must be ok. Loved that chapel though - oldest free church in the country or something daft like that....400+ right? Must be some good pix of that place knocking around...

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: October 27, 2017, 10:51:37 am »

Lovely. Gonna have to pay it a visit next year.

Pistolero, maybe not the "whole" area is unstable......but there was a time when several streets were of a concern down the bottom of Park Road.

The entrance to Roscoe's I'm referring to was just behind a building that did printing and was directly opposite the chapel. As kids we'd run the gauntlet trying to get down and back up again before any cars passed us. Proper stank down there. My house on South Grove (at the southern end of the western terrace) had a massive crack on the front facade. Lots of talk about subsidence at the time. The collapse referred to was only a couple of years ago. The entrance you're referring to is the one you can see halfway up the cliff, underneath the streets where Bread was filmed (and a few scenes from 51st State). Always look at that whenever I drive past.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:54:28 am by Creepy & Kooky 24/7 »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: October 27, 2017, 04:26:00 pm »

Pistolero, maybe not the "whole" area is unstable......but there was a time when several streets were of a concern down the bottom of Park Road.

Yep, when the tunnel collapsed a few years ago a woman in work had to vacate her house by there for many months.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #446 on: October 27, 2017, 07:12:32 pm »
The entrance you're referring to is the one you can see halfway up the cliff, underneath the streets where Bread was filmed (and a few scenes from 51st State).

Yep, I lived in the house directly behind it. 365 Grafton Street.....4th roof(!) from the left in this pic

and some of the arle cars found in the station after the collapse in 2012..

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:59:13 pm by Pistolero »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: October 27, 2017, 11:18:50 pm »
Got to walk through the tunnel from the old station right along to the bricked up tunnel mouth a few months before it collapsed, was a weird thing to get to do.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: October 28, 2017, 03:01:14 am »
Mammories. Thanks fellas fro them pix. The one of the actual gradient down into the car garage brings back some great mammories.....

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #449 on: October 28, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: October 31, 2017, 11:17:44 pm »
^ great that, memories - into probe - get frightened when Pete Burns starts kicking off on someone, then over to extremes, have a look at the mohair jumpers and then upstairs in Jack Sharps to price the adidas Kicks - 1978 - happy days.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: November 3, 2017, 01:55:09 pm »
^ great that, memories - into probe - get frightened when Pete Burns starts kicking off on someone, then over to extremes, have a look at the mohair jumpers and then upstairs in Jack Sharps to price the adidas Kicks - 1978 - happy days.

Extremes, forgot about that place. Used to get my Rock/Metal t-shirts from there in the early 80's.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: November 3, 2017, 02:29:17 pm »
Remember the punks and psychobillies that used to hang around there? D'you remember the arcade down the stairs, with the video games?

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #453 on: November 3, 2017, 04:28:58 pm »
This place was more popular.. :D

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: November 3, 2017, 04:38:46 pm »
This place was more popular.. :D
Hahaha yeah I remember that one too! There was another around the corner I used to go into.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: November 3, 2017, 06:48:47 pm »
Remember the punks and psychobillies that used to hang around there? D'you remember the arcade down the stairs, with the video games?
Bottles of Rush.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: November 3, 2017, 08:07:24 pm »
Remember the punks and psychobillies that used to hang around there?

were you one Jim? I wasn't - my mum wouldn't let me ha ha, I was hanging round in my blazer and tie and prefect's badge :D 

I knew one of the punks, Col Foy, really well, played footy with him for years - those years 78 - 81 we'd rock up for a game in Kirkby or Speke or further afield with this little quiet punk with a mohawk and tartan keks. He was hard as nails though so no one would mess with him :D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: November 3, 2017, 08:11:39 pm »

were you one Jim? I wasn't - my mum wouldn't let me ha ha, I was hanging round in my blazer and tie and prefect's badge :D 

I knew one of the punks, Col Foy, really well, played footy with him for years - those years 78 - 81 we'd rock up for a game in Kirkby or Speke or further afield with this little quiet punk with a mohawk and tartan keks. He was hard as nails though so no one would mess with him :D
Got a pic somewhere. Col Foy - rings a bell - the one I knew was Dave O'Shea. Yup they were all as hard as nails. Anyway I found the pic. It's taken directly opposite that Probe pic shown in the post below.....I'm in there somewhere......but not one of the goths ;)
« Last Edit: November 3, 2017, 10:02:12 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #458 on: November 25, 2017, 01:12:54 pm »
Changed beyond recognition....have a guess

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: November 25, 2017, 02:43:14 pm »
So many lovely houses/buildings demolished...I had to cheat to find out where it was, so won't post the answer ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: November 25, 2017, 03:12:32 pm »

Is it the blackie top if Duke St?

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: November 25, 2017, 05:47:18 pm »

Ahh, its driving me nuts!! :butt

I can't work out what that church on the right is. I'm thinking the church with the tall spike could be St Xaviar's, with that old building on Shaw St next to it (never know what is was). There's a building with a white tower in front of them, and there's a bank building with a tower like that at the top of London road. This would put the photographer somewhere near where the Royal is? But they must be pretty high up too.

The building at the front of the picture actually says what it is (i think), but googling it doesn't help at all :butt
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: November 25, 2017, 06:23:32 pm »
You’re just not good enough at googling, I got it ;D

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: November 25, 2017, 06:31:47 pm »
You’re just not good enough at googling, I got it ;D

Ahm no, I just can't read!

Spoiler
I thought it said "mental", and all the google results are for ghost hunting in Newsham Park:no
[close]
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline happydaze

• ...arefuckinhereagain!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #464 on: December 18, 2017, 10:28:32 am »
Imagine that junction nowadays with all the traffic....6 way junction !!

Think I have the answer but will wait for the OP to  reveal all.

I was helped by the saint of lost causes   ;)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #465 on: December 18, 2017, 12:42:14 pm »
Is that FC Bigstand on the horizon?  ;D
I also thought it said 'mental' until common sense kicked in  ::)
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: December 18, 2017, 08:47:47 pm »
I was about 70% - 80% certain that I thought I knew were it was.

Then a certain prominent school building gave it away.   ;)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: December 19, 2017, 05:51:27 pm »
Someone put me out my misery

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: December 19, 2017, 07:56:49 pm »
Does the new dental hospital stand on the site of the old one? I think its the top end of London Road, but can't remember what its called there?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: December 20, 2017, 10:27:06 pm »
In the distance is what looks like the breck road water tower if that's right then this looks more the south end to me nearer smithdown lane.

Offline timmit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #470 on: December 23, 2017, 03:35:08 pm »
The Dandelion (?) on Dale St. - strippers on Friday afternoons

Ha ha “Daley’s Dandelion” it was. And yeah “strippers” in the loosest sense of the word 😂
We are the Champions , Champions of Europe

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: December 24, 2017, 11:57:49 am »
Someone put me out my misery
At about 11-12 O'clock in the photo, there's a hexagonal building.  Now, If I was to tell you that that building is still in existence, and is the back of the Collegiate......

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #472 on: December 24, 2017, 04:01:02 pm »
At about 11-12 O'clock in the photo, there's a hexagonal building.  Now, If I was to tell you that that building is still in existence, and is the back of the Collegiate......

Yep, that's the one  8) .....there's a couple of surviving structures in that part of the picture - the Steeple of SFX is to the left of it...and in the foreground you can just pick out the ornate tower on top of the old Martins Bank Building / and the tip of the former Prince of Wales pub opposite...also, I think the white terrace to the right of Martins Bank still survives, it looks like the building that used to house David's Hairdressers/Barbers....everything to the right of that - and everything in front of it - has now completely gone though

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: December 28, 2017, 07:44:20 am »
Got it now , so the site of the royal hospital , the big church on the left is still there but one of the pillars at the side has been taken away by the looks of it

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #474 on: December 28, 2017, 08:30:31 pm »
Got it now , so the site of the royal hospital , the big church on the left is still there but one of the pillars at the side has been taken away by the looks of it

yep, that's the site.....different church though, the one in shot is St Judes...it was demolished to make way for the hospital

Offline happydaze

• ...arefuckinhereagain!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #475 on: January 10, 2018, 12:45:38 pm »
http://www.liverpool-city-group.com/street-guide-1901/images/liverpool-street-map-a-z-1901-sector-e3.jpg

1901street map may help those still struggling ?

6 way junction just  above the Royal Infirmary

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #476 on: January 21, 2018, 07:13:06 pm »
How it would have looked.. :-\

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:35 pm »

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2018, 11:51:48 pm »
Not sure whether I've posted this site before but hopefully it'll be of interest to some in this thread. Ariel photos of the UK from the 20s to the 50s/60s:

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/

There's around 400 of the Liverpool area and registered users (its free) can 'zoom' into the pics to quite an impressive level. If you live anywhere near the docks in Bootle, that's worth a look also. You too may see your house in 1927!

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #479 on: February 19, 2018, 08:35:35 pm »