Author Topic: Portuguese Football Thread  (Read 31393 times)

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Portuguese Football Thread
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2014, 09:44:54 pm »
Which is surprising for me given the fact that Benfica didn't even make out of their CL group. I think they even managed to finish last in perhaps the weakest CL group along with Porto's group. I thought they are weak with no remarkable players left, whereas Porto seem to have a better squad and better performances in CL.

Benfica kept their fire power with the argentinian trio... Salvio, Gaitan and Enzo.
Gaitan and Enzo were bar Matic at the first half of the season the most important players of the last season amazing performance.
The only player that left without proper replacement was Garay... that, bad tactics and some bad luck in certain moments costed Benfica an early exit from Europe.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 07:55:02 pm »

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 01:40:03 am »
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 01:56:44 am »
Haha that is a thing of Beauty.

Did yesterday's game hit you so hard that you sunk yourself in the Portuguese football thread?  ;D
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 01:58:40 am »
Did yesterday's game hit you so hard that you sunk yourself in the Portuguese football thread?  ;D

Have a look at the genius Portugal mastermind who started this thread ;)

Handsome too.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 02:01:17 am »
Are you winking or blinking?

Offline Durlmints

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 02:02:05 am »
Are you winking or blinking?

Wincing :(

Or drifting off to sleep actually, that seems more accurate.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 02:09:43 am »
Wincing :(

Or drifting off to sleep actually, that seems more accurate.

Duck off  ;D

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 1, 2015, 10:55:02 am »
Benfica won 6-0 yesterday at their 111th anniversary against Estoril.

Today at 7:15 will take place "o classico", Porto vs Sporting Lisbon.
Benfica is leading with an advantage of 7 points to Porto and 12 to Sporting so it will be a decisive match for both teams.
Also Sporting Braga is 4th only 1 point behind Sporting Lisbon and the champions league playoff.

Most likely 11's

Porto
GK: Fabiano
D: Danilo, Indi, Marcano, Alex Sandro
M: Casemiro, Herrera, Brahimi
F: Quaresma, Jackson, Tello

Sporting
GK: Rui Patrício
D: Cédric, Miguel Lopes, Paulo Oliveira, Tobias Figueiredo
M: William,  Adrien, João Mário
F: Slimani, Carrillo, Nani
« Last Edit: March 1, 2015, 11:09:45 am by theartist »

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
« Reply #49 on: March 1, 2015, 11:10:26 am »
Benfica won 6-0 yesterday at their 111th anniversary against Estoril.

Today at 7:15 will take place "o classico", Porto vs Sporting Lisbon.
Benfica is leading with an advantage of 7 points to Porto and 12 to Sporting so it will be a decisive match for both teams.
Also Sporting Braga is 4th only 1 point behind Sporting Lisbon and the champions league playoff.

Most likely 11's

Porto
GK: Fabiano
D: Danilo, Indi, Marcano, Alex Sandro
M: Casemiro, Herrera, Brahimi
F: Quaresma, Jackson, Tello

Sporting
GK: Rui Patrício
D: Cédric, Miguel Lopes, Paulo Oliveira, Tobias Figueiredo
M: William,  Adrien, João Mário
F: Slimani, Carrillo, Nani
As someone who seems to be a regular watcher of Portuguese football who would you say has been the best player this season?

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 1, 2015, 11:24:58 am »
Jackson for Porto, he is really important to them, has been the most important player for a team this season.
Benfica has a better coach, and the team plays like a solid rock even with all the sells they made last season. Still Gaitan continues beeing the most genious player in Portugal by now.
William Carvalho at Sporting has also been very well.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 08:31:17 pm »
Massive, massive result today: Rio Ave 2 - 1 Benfica. Porto have just started their game now and can reduce the 4-point gap to just 1.

This would be fantastic for the league as Porto and Benfica will meet each other soon. It will be an absolutely cracking game if Porto can capitalise today.

Benfica have been leading the whole season but 2 years ago they also threw away a 4-point advantage in the late stages of the competition - only to lose the derby and title to Porto due to a late goal.

Porto have really grown as the season went by and I have a feeling they might just scrap the title off Benfica, who were already weakened for this season and face some uncertainties for the next one.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2015, 01:12:00 pm »
Massive, massive result today: Rio Ave 2 - 1 Benfica. Porto have just started their game now and can reduce the 4-point gap to just 1.

This would be fantastic for the league as Porto and Benfica will meet each other soon. It will be an absolutely cracking game if Porto can capitalise today.

Benfica have been leading the whole season but 2 years ago they also threw away a 4-point advantage in the late stages of the competition - only to lose the derby and title to Porto due to a late goal.

Porto have really grown as the season went by and I have a feeling they might just scrap the title off Benfica, who were already weakened for this season and face some uncertainties for the next one.

Nacional 1 - 1 Porto.

Porto struggled the whole game, were lucky to find their goal and should have lost. Nacional's striker missed an absolute sitter.

Well, as it stands Porto are now 3 points behind Benfica and in theory do not depend on anyone else to win the title: they now have to beat Benfica by a margin larger than 2 goals, as they lost the first encounter in the league 2-0. A very very hard task and I think it skews the game as Benfica can just sit back.

Hopefully there are more slips to take place still
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 06:40:00 am »
i hope Benfica wins the league
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:03 pm »
i hope Benfica wins the league

:) me too

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2015, 08:53:07 pm »
For people following this league how are Egypt's three players doing (Koka in Rio Ave and Ghazzal and Gomaa in Nacional)?
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 01:24:37 pm »
For people following this league how are Egypt's three players doing (Koka in Rio Ave and Ghazzal and Gomaa in Nacional)?

Koka is called Hassan in Portugal, he is doing a great season but he got injured in the last game.
Gomma and Gazzal they are playing some regular football, they were better last season but maybe it has something to do with the team general playing this season.

What about Shikabala?? the guy signed for sporting lisbon and then got lost ahah, no one knows what he is doing now.

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2015, 10:09:42 pm »
Benfica really deserve the league title, Jorge Jesus is brilliant. Hope they win the league and an European trophy in next 3-5 years
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2015, 09:51:24 pm »
Koka is called Hassan in Portugal, he is doing a great season but he got injured in the last game.
Gomma and Gazzal they are playing some regular football, they were better last season but maybe it has something to do with the team general playing this season.

What about Shikabala?? the guy signed for sporting lisbon and then got lost ahah, no one knows what he is doing now.
Koka is his nickname, Hassan is his last name, there another famous Ahmed Hassan in Egypt so we call him Koka.

Shikabala is a piece of shit, all the talents in the work, the mind of a 5 year old spoiled child.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 1, 2015, 09:09:09 am »
And this year the selling season has opened earlier.
Danilo, the righ wingback from Porto will go to Real Madrid next season for a 31,5 million € fee.

Gaitan from Benfica will be the next I would bet.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2015, 09:12:12 am by theartist »

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 1, 2015, 10:44:56 pm »
Since they won the champions league in 2004 those are the biggest deals from Porto.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 2, 2015, 02:15:07 am »
I am surprised that Valencia managed to get Otamendi for only 12m euros given the fact that Porto sell way over the market price usually. May be Mendes connection did the trick for Valencia.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 2, 2015, 02:18:36 am »
Damn you Portuguese do sell players for huge amount's.  :o

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 2, 2015, 07:24:43 pm »
I am surprised that Valencia managed to get Otamendi for only 12m euros given the fact that Porto sell way over the market price usually. May be Mendes connection did the trick for Valencia.

Well If Mendes used that trick he only used it once.
Only this season they payed Benfica 30m for Rodrigo, 25m for Enzo Perez and 15m for Andre Gomes.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 2, 2015, 07:26:30 pm »
Didn't they get Rodrigo and Gomes from a third party who is owned by the same guy who owns Valencia? That's an even better trick to pull.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 2, 2015, 07:33:57 pm »
Didn't they get Rodrigo and Gomes from a third party who is owned by the same guy who owns Valencia? That's an even better trick to pull.

Yes something like that, Benfica sold the players to a fund owned by Peter Lim, not to Valencia directly.
The deal for Benfica was something like 30m from Rodrigo and 10m depending on performances and 25% of a future transfer fee.
Andre Gomes, that was only a regular substitute went for 15m. I don´t know where this money comes from, and how legit it is.

This season for instance, Benfica sold Bernardo Silva, a 20 year old from the youth academy with less than 100min for Benfica A team and only a season played at the reserves squad at Portuguese second league for 15m to Monaco.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2015, 07:37:06 pm by theartist »

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 2, 2015, 08:00:29 pm »
fucking hell, that's over 400mil€

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 3, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »
Since they won the champions league in 2004 those are the biggest deals from Porto.

15 (17 if you count Deco and Pepe in) South Americans. Not to mention some smaller deals selling unsuccessful players back to Brazil.

Porto benefit greatly from the loose rules regarding foreign players in Portugal, though I am not so sure that applies to the whole league.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2015, 04:20:02 pm by Johnny B. Goode »

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 3, 2015, 10:18:48 pm »
Today I read an interview with Borussia D board member. There, he said that they could have sold Lewandowski for 25-30 million euros, but they kept him, and made 50 million euros. He is likely taking into account Borussia D's success in CL. In this light, I ask just how much Benfica and Porto are actually losing by operating this way? If you consider the fact that with some of those players, they could challenge CL, they surely are also losing money. Especially Benfica, who have largely been poor in CL.

Because of all of these ins and outs, both Porto and Benfica are inconsistent in Europe. Other teams like Spurs, Athletic Bilbao also make profit by selling their players, not sure if that is a good strategy. You'd like to think that after these clubs have earned hundreds of millions, they'd be more willing to hold on to their stars, but no.

One other note, I wonder what is the fraction that Benfica and Porto end up getting out of these transfers. They don't have 100% ownership in a lot of them, based on reports. And they also buy a lot of players with sell on clauses.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 4, 2015, 12:09:45 pm »
Today I read an interview with Borussia D board member. There, he said that they could have sold Lewandowski for 25-30 million euros, but they kept him, and made 50 million euros. He is likely taking into account Borussia D's success in CL. In this light, I ask just how much Benfica and Porto are actually losing by operating this way? If you consider the fact that with some of those players, they could challenge CL, they surely are also losing money. Especially Benfica, who have largely been poor in CL.

Because of all of these ins and outs, both Porto and Benfica are inconsistent in Europe. Other teams like Spurs, Athletic Bilbao also make profit by selling their players, not sure if that is a good strategy. You'd like to think that after these clubs have earned hundreds of millions, they'd be more willing to hold on to their stars, but no.

One other note, I wonder what is the fraction that Benfica and Porto end up getting out of these transfers. They don't have 100% ownership in a lot of them, based on reports. And they also buy a lot of players with sell on clauses.

The biggest problem for Benfica and Porto is the market pool dimension of the portuguese league and the debt they have for decades of poor management.
Benfica has a stadium with 65.000 seats, an average attendance over 50.000 but the sponsors and the TV revenue is ridicolous compared to a team that in England will play just to not be relegated.
Benfica was until 5 years ago getting less than 10m€ season for their TV rights... now and because of Portugal beeing so small for a team like Benfica they decided they would negotiate their TV rights by themselves and have their own TV, BenficaTV that is actually the 1st TV from a club that transmits all their home games live... Now Benfica is getting aroun 30m€ per season with 400.000 subscribers of theyr payed TV. They want to get at least 40m€ next season, that's a great upgrade there.
About keeping the star players the problem is also playing in the portuguese league, a lot of them want to go just by the fact they want to play the english premier or la liga... and also the wages they start asking, Benfica and Porto pay at the most 3m€ per season to their stars, that's what a B team palyer receives at other top teams.

And yes, when they sell the players they don´t get 100% of the money all the time... but usually almost all the money, depends on the player really but they usually have a great % on the players they know that will provide a great revenue.

About keeping the players longer and try to make greater campaigns it's not only about the champions league, it's way more important for Benfica and Porto fans to assure that your team will be capable of also beating the other team in the portuguese competitions.
But for instante 3 seasons ago Benfica lost in a week the UEfa cup, the portuguese league and the portuguese cup... it was a traumatic experience so they kept all the players for the next season... In the next season they won the treble, portuguese league, supercup, league cup and portuguese cup and went to Europa League final, but they also failed in champions league by getting behind Olympiacos and PSG
« Last Edit: April 4, 2015, 12:16:06 pm by theartist »

Offline GoodSpirit

• Main Stander
« Reply #70 on: April 4, 2015, 03:56:54 pm »
Porto and Benfica are a case study and why? Both of them sell their players apparently by "big values" and in the end of the day their debt is increasing in a vertiginous way...

There is no escape for them in the next years. With the announced end of the third party owners they will have to struggle to survive.

Sporting CP is a good example of a sustainability path in Portugal, in the last 2 years they adapted themselves to this new reality and analysing all the panorama they will be again the next big thing in Portugal.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later..."

"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it."

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2015, 10:35:36 am »

2 rounds to Benfica-Porto
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:21:35 am by theartist »

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2015, 08:32:34 pm »

Benfica 0-0 Porto

With 4 rounds left Benfica is leading with 3 important points.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2015, 03:03:16 pm »
Absolutely shocking . Hope the fucker gets sent down for this ....

Punches a grandfather and beats a Dad in front of his kid  :wanker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32793901
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2015, 06:24:40 pm »

A true shame... the case is already at the courts and he won´t get away with it easily.

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2015, 07:08:23 pm »

probably a Porto fan

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2015, 07:42:57 pm »
On the footballing side...Porto again failed to capitalise on Benfica dropping points. Story of the season really. Benfica worthy champions.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2015, 11:03:10 pm »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2015, 06:33:57 am »
lovely atmosphere, Benfica is always my team in Portugal. Maybe it's the colors or the amazing fans, glad they became champions.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2015, 01:02:49 pm »
Jorge Jesus surely deserves a job at a better league? Especially this season's achievement is a pretty good one since losing a shitload of first team players last summer. Still remember the doom that was surrounding the club after all those players sales.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.