Author Topic: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency  (Read 199260 times)

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
Re: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency
« Reply #1880 on: May 5, 2018, 11:59:55 pm »
Been a little lucky regarding crypto. Been brought down to earth this past half year, but I still have high belief for the future.
The bulls are back?? I am invested in some coins, and I tought I´d like to share them here on RAWK since this is the best forum on the web.

Nano - because it is awesome. Zero transaction fee, fast as lightning.
Kucoin share - exchange site coin that pays dividends for owning coins from fees for trading paid on site.
Coss - same as Kucoin share but smaller mcap.
Ontology - a blockchain and smart contract platform based upon JAVA code.
Monero - totally private transactions.
Elastos - they are claiming they will build a private OS built on blockchain.
Maidsafe - same as elastos but a browser.
Steem - Social media that pays makers for likes.. Funny system.

I hold a few more, but these are the ones i have most faith in. I hold some ada and other coins purely because of the society surrounding them is huge. I would avoid NEO and coins with little security. I hate ripple, but that is because thats a centralized coin. Would have made you some dough, if you got in at the right time, so what do I know.

will also buy some matrix. looks a good project.

What coins do you hold ?
« Last Edit: May 6, 2018, 12:01:35 am by nyrrard »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1881 on: May 17, 2018, 11:42:31 am »
Been a little lucky regarding crypto. Been brought down to earth this past half year, but I still have high belief for the future.
The bulls are back?? I am invested in some coins, and I tought I´d like to share them here on RAWK since this is the best forum on the web.

Kucoin share - exchange site coin that pays dividends for owning coins from fees for trading paid on site.

I hold a few more, but these are the ones i have most faith in. I hold some ada and other coins purely because of the society surrounding them is huge. I would avoid NEO and coins with little security. I hate ripple, but that is because thats a centralized coin. Would have made you some dough, if you got in at the right time, so what do I know.

What coins do you hold ?

Do you consider the max supply (of coins) when choosing your coins? As it will have an enormous influence on the market cap and therefore the value of the coin.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1882 on: May 17, 2018, 12:42:50 pm »

What coins do you hold ?

I hold:
VeChain (of course) and I got in early at 0.20$ and added on the way to an Strength X node
REQ (I still have great hopes for this. Early days still but the product is there, and the partnerships as well with many more to come I reckon)
NPXS - same there the product is there. And the partnerships are there. I've been lucky now where 5 ETH investment in the ICO turned into quite a bit more. Definitively one I can recommend to everyone on here. Even though it has already risen quite a bit.
ELA Not too much to say. I think there's a good chance this will succeed.
JNT Great use cases, very early on in their development. But if they pull it off it will be huge.
ICX Like with VEN do I need to say much? Hopefully their mainnet release will speak for itsel.f
ELEC Promising
NAV - it works but it doesn't seem to catch too much interest. But good product with a good team.

I'll happily discuss any of those coins.

I was also in with Kucoin Shares. Should have sold it when it was at 20$. But you learn...
COSS doesn't seem to manage to take the next step with its FIAT integration. A lot of promises that one day it will take off IMO.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #1883 on: May 17, 2018, 02:49:48 pm »
Does everyone still use binance to invest? i only ever got a few bits on coinbase, probably about level at best overall. I'd like to get into these altcoins but it all seemed a bit of a faff....is there an easy way?

Binance is the easiest way - just get LITECOIN (cheapest) on coinbase and send it to Binance, from there its just trading as normal. 

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1884 on: May 17, 2018, 03:02:21 pm »
I use Bitstamp.

I hold:

Etherium
Litecoin
NEO
Waltonchain
Maxcoin

Ripple, Stellar & NXT: all of which i'm going to sell on in the near future as i dont think there are big long term profits there, judging by the amount of coins they have issued.

I'm in for the long term, so stockpiling coins, some with higher risk (Max) than others.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1885 on: May 17, 2018, 07:00:33 pm »
I hold:
VeChain (of course) and I got in early at 0.20$ and added on the way to an Strength X node
REQ (I still have great hopes for this. Early days still but the product is there, and the partnerships as well with many more to come I reckon)
NPXS - same there the product is there. And the partnerships are there. I've been lucky now where 5 ETH investment in the ICO turned into quite a bit more. Definitively one I can recommend to everyone on here. Even though it has already risen quite a bit.
ELA Not too much to say. I think there's a good chance this will succeed.
JNT Great use cases, very early on in their development. But if they pull it off it will be huge.
ICX Like with VEN do I need to say much? Hopefully their mainnet release will speak for itsel.f
ELEC Promising
NAV - it works but it doesn't seem to catch too much interest. But good product with a good team.

I'll happily discuss any of those coins.

I was also in with Kucoin Shares. Should have sold it when it was at 20$. But you learn...
COSS doesn't seem to manage to take the next step with its FIAT integration. A lot of promises that one day it will take off IMO.
I've started looking into some of these coins now..

My goal is to sit it out for the longer term, rather than selling high and low (though i might do that with a smaller percentage). I invest about €300 a month and so tomorrow, i'll invest €300 more. I'm open to suggestions on the coins i could back.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1886 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:28 pm »
I'm really thinking about doing this, although only investing a few hundred as a tester.  From what I've read, Bitstamp seems a bit better than Binance?  And yes Litecoin seems the best bet for me to start with...

EDIT: https://www.cryptocompare.com/exchanges/bitstamp/overview

Looking at this, is XRP/Ripple worth a punt?  It's ridiculously low if I'm reading it right...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:10:45 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1887 on: May 17, 2018, 07:15:56 pm »
The problem with Ripple is that there is so much of it, that it cannot ever become a super valuable crypto for investment. For it to reach say €50 in value, the marketcap would need to explode to levels unheard of. So to make money on Ripple, you'd need to invest a hell of a lot.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1889 on: May 18, 2018, 12:52:08 pm »
Bitcoin transactions consume too much energy (one tx equates to the consumption of one household for a month, according to ING in Oct ‘17, which is 20000 times higher than a visa tx; thus, likely to be higher now). They’re a potential environmental hazard.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline halfpoundcheesy

• [insert witty comment]
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1890 on: May 18, 2018, 12:56:05 pm »
The problem with Ripple is that there is so much of it, that it cannot ever become a super valuable crypto for investment. For it to reach say €50 in value, the marketcap would need to explode to levels unheard of. So to make money on Ripple, you'd need to invest a hell of a lot.

Depends what you view as an interesting return. I initially bought some at 0.25 and sold at 1.5, or thereabouts.
Haven't checked prices recently, but was under $1 last time I looked, i.e. reasonable chance of doubling if you believe in it, vs. a current account paying 0.05%, ;-)
Crypto folks are spoiled - if I double my money, I'm a happy man, ;-)

I *do* agree that Ripple/XRP shouldn't be looked at as "cheap" just because the unit cost is low though. The total market cap is still massive.

Still holding a few ETH, and various Alts, waiting for what I hope will be another bull return before the summer, we'll see.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #1891 on: May 18, 2018, 01:50:54 pm »
Depends what you view as an interesting return. I initially bought some at 0.25 and sold at 1.5, or thereabouts.
Haven't checked prices recently, but was under $1 last time I looked, i.e. reasonable chance of doubling if you believe in it, vs. a current account paying 0.05%, ;-)
Crypto folks are spoiled - if I double my money, I'm a happy man, ;-)

I *do* agree that Ripple/XRP shouldn't be looked at as "cheap" just because the unit cost is low though. The total market cap is still massive.

Still holding a few ETH, and various Alts, waiting for what I hope will be another bull return before the summer, we'll see.

My current Ripple investment is sitting there, currently at almost double what I paid for it so I am happy. I thought about buying more of it but nah, just gonna leave it see what happens.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1892 on: May 18, 2018, 03:53:09 pm »
Binance is the easiest way - just get LITECOIN (cheapest) on coinbase and send it to Binance, from there its just trading as normal.

I haven't used Litecoin in a while, but does it really have as many trading pairs on Binance as Ethereum? Which is ok quick and fee for sending to Binance.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1893 on: May 24, 2018, 04:45:29 pm »
Best place to buy BTC bits at the minute?

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1894 on: June 1, 2018, 08:43:53 pm »
Had a look at Binance and it's lots of wiggly lines I don't really get. ;D  I'll probably go to Bitstamp or Coinbase as I don't really have much idea what to do.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1895 on: June 4, 2018, 11:48:38 am »
Currently holding:

CNN
ZIL
GSC

Relatively small portfolio but not after a quick buck or two, my investment has multiplied by 5 since end of April but that is mainly due to getting into CNN very early doors.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1896 on: June 13, 2018, 02:56:23 am »
Market is way down. Bitcoin is the lowest it’s been since Feb.

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #1897 on: June 13, 2018, 07:56:55 am »
Ethereum is well worth holding on to for a while.

I work in Blockchain tech and what is going on in the DApp space is very interesting and most of it is underpinned by Ethereum and if and when they do a hard fork to go over to PoS it could actually see a rapid rise in the value.
The main thing there is how quickly they get it up and running and indeed if people are willing to bet their ether to join but early signs are promising and it is well worth keeping an eye on in the near future.
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1898 on: June 16, 2018, 09:07:23 pm »
Market is way down. Bitcoin is the lowest it’s been since Feb.

Litecoin has dropped quite a bit too - about £18 lower than when I last looked a couple of weeks ago.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1899 on: June 24, 2018, 08:46:25 pm »
Hi guys.  I've been pestering conman in PMs on this stuff for a few days but I thought I'd throw this one out to everyone. ;D

I've recently started buying Litecoin on Coinbase, and I'm looking to transfer it over to an exchange to buy other coins, like Neo and Walton.  I'm currently signed up to Binance but I know this isn't the only one in use.  Are there any others that people might recommend before I transfer?  Plus are there places where I could buy Neo and Walton directly, rather than exchanging Litecoins?

Thanks in advance :)

PS: I'm not really in a position to buy LC in bulk, so I'm gonna be looking to stockpile it before I start any kind of serious trading.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:52:08 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #1900 on: June 25, 2018, 12:33:24 pm »
Why don't you buy BTC directly then instead of LTC as long as you're going to exchange them anyway.

BTC markets are much more liquid, more volume and hence less volatile. Transfers are quick these days and if you transfer them from Coinbase Pro there is no fee involved.

Binance is the top exchange at the moment and they are also ones that give you GAS monthly if you keep your NEO over there.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1901 on: June 25, 2018, 06:22:18 pm »
Why don't you buy BTC directly then instead of LTC as long as you're going to exchange them anyway.

BTC markets are much more liquid, more volume and hence less volatile. Transfers are quick these days and if you transfer them from Coinbase Pro there is no fee involved.

Binance is the top exchange at the moment and they are also ones that give you GAS monthly if you keep your NEO over there.

Well originally I was planning to just outright buy LC, Neo and Walton; I wasn't planning on exchanging LC for the other two.  As I said in my original post I'm looking for places to buy Neo and Walton direct, without exchanging for LC, which is all I seem able to do on Binance?

Conman provided me with a link breaking down the different types of crypto so I'm hoping it will tell me how to buy Neo and Walton.  I just need to check it closely as I'm not good at absorbing this kind of technical info anymore.

As for BTC I couldn't possibly afford to buy anything other than tiny fractions of it.  At least with LC I can buy whole coins.

Popcorn's Art

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1902 on: June 25, 2018, 06:42:22 pm »
As for BTC I couldn't possibly afford to buy anything other than tiny fractions of it.  At least with LC I can buy whole coins.

It makes absolutely no difference whether you own whole or partial coins. That makes as much sense as saying you won't buy gold as an investment because you can't afford a whole bar of the stuff.

I'm not saying you should buy BTC or not, just that your logic for not doing so is flawed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:44:49 pm by elmo_swatloski »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1903 on: June 25, 2018, 06:59:17 pm »
That's fair comment. But at the end of the day I don't want to invest my limited funds in BTC. I prefer to invest in the others I have mentioned. So any advice on Neo and Walton is appreciated. ☺

Popcorn's Art

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1904 on: June 25, 2018, 07:46:05 pm »
That's fair comment. But at the end of the day I don't want to invest my limited funds in BTC. I prefer to invest in the others I have mentioned. So any advice on Neo and Walton is appreciated. ☺

Sorry can't help you there. If it was me I would just buy ETH and put it into Binance/Bittrex etc. As far as I can tell you can't directly buy most coins.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1905 on: June 25, 2018, 08:07:30 pm »
Sorry can't help you there. If it was me I would just buy ETH and put it into Binance/Bittrex etc. As far as I can tell you can't directly buy most coins.

Thanks anyway :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #1906 on: August 5, 2018, 11:06:06 pm »
Anyone used leverage when trading? I started trading here https://www.bitmex.com/register/8uxm50 about two months ago.

Risky business if you don't know what you are doing, brings a whole new perspective to crypto.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1907 on: August 11, 2018, 12:14:07 pm »
Anybody see how cryptos have collapsed over the past week or so?  Litecoin, Ethereum and BC have all slumped.  Tempted to buy some more but worried the arse is falling out of the market.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #1908 on: August 11, 2018, 07:06:31 pm »
Anybody see how cryptos have collapsed over the past week or so?  Litecoin, Ethereum and BC have all slumped.  Tempted to buy some more but worried the arse is falling out of the market.
I've heard that the market will continue to fall until September before a possible recovery. Although in fairness, no one knows what is going to happen. My investment is looking a bit shit but I knew it was a gamble. I view it in the same way as betting on football! I'm certain that more than a few people have staked far too much on a lottery and are now in deep shit.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1909 on: August 11, 2018, 09:22:34 pm »
I've heard that the market will continue to fall until September before a possible recovery. Although in fairness, no one knows what is going to happen. My investment is looking a bit shit but I knew it was a gamble. I view it in the same way as betting on football! I'm certain that more than a few people have staked far too much on a lottery and are now in deep shit.

Yeah, maybe it will pick up more in the run up to Christmas like it did last year.  I decided to pick up a bit more seeing as the prices are so low.  Not too much though.  I've not invested that much but if I want a decent return I need to add whilst I can afford it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #1910 on: August 12, 2018, 05:55:48 am »
Why the volatility? What underlies the rises and falls?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1911 on: August 20, 2018, 05:51:33 pm »
NY Times

...many cryptocurrencies have given back all of the enormous gains they experienced last winter. The value of all outstanding digital tokens has fallen by about $600 billion, or 75 percent, since the peak in January

But by many metrics, more people put money into virtual currencies last fall and winter than in all of the preceding nine or so years.

[As loads of new investors were getting in, many pioneers were taking their profits. I guess Bitcoin (and some but not all the others) has value in the long run as an alternative and secure currency but since so many have been burned it might take a while for the market to recover, isn't this when one is supposed to buy? ]

... “I guess I thought we were ‘sticking it to the man’ when I got on board,” Mr. Herman said. “But I think ‘the man’ had already caught on, and had an exit strategy.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/20/technology/cryptocurrency-investor-losses.html?action=click&module=Trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=Trending

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #1912 on: August 21, 2018, 06:35:38 am »
NY Times

...many cryptocurrencies have given back all of the enormous gains they experienced last winter. The value of all outstanding digital tokens has fallen by about $600 billion, or 75 percent, since the peak in January

But by many metrics, more people put money into virtual currencies last fall and winter than in all of the preceding nine or so years.

[As loads of new investors were getting in, many pioneers were taking their profits. I guess Bitcoin (and some but not all the others) has value in the long run as an alternative and secure currency but since so many have been burned it might take a while for the market to recover, isn't this when one is supposed to buy? ]

... “I guess I thought we were ‘sticking it to the man’ when I got on board,” Mr. Herman said. “But I think ‘the man’ had already caught on, and had an exit strategy.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/20/technology/cryptocurrency-investor-losses.html?action=click&module=Trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=Trending
Absolute madness that anyone would take out loans and empty their savings on what was effectively a huge gamble. I resisted the urge to 'bet' big because as a betting man I know what can, and often does, happen. There was/is a big upside but also a very real risk of getting wiped out. Even if it does recover, such individuals have fucked themselves over big time and will probably need personal loans etc. to get back on their feet.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1913 on: August 21, 2018, 08:57:21 am »
Absolutely this. I put in what I could afford to lose and withdrew the original stake once I'd doubled my money. I then took some profit in December. This means what I have in is a bit of sport that cost me nothing.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1914 on: August 23, 2018, 12:38:41 pm »
I think if people treat this as a bit of fun and a gamble with small amounts that they can afford to lose then fine.

But speculating large amounts or worse, borrowing money to invest is madness. I'm not commenting on whether crypto-currencies will have a long term future or not - I don't know enough, but there have been enough examples of asset bubbles in the past to be wary.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #1915 on: August 23, 2018, 12:42:14 pm »
I've taken my money out, made a small win on Ripple when it spiked and withdrew that.

Put more in when it dropped and it basically hasn't done anything so that's my ripple fun over.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1916 on: August 23, 2018, 01:00:42 pm »
I've just left my money in for the moment. I'm making zero profit taking it out now. Let it ride.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1917 on: August 30, 2018, 03:23:09 pm »
I put about £1k in now have about £400 worth of coins. Was prepared to lose it all, which may still happen. But hope it goes up again even if nowhere it was before.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1918 on: August 30, 2018, 05:07:01 pm »
Despite using and mining Bitcoin/Cryptocurrencies for years I've never been able to handle it as an investment.

I put £500 in AMD stock a few months back and took out £830 yesterday because I felt it was becoming over valued. Yes it's still a gamble on paper but it's nice being able to have insight on the thing/industry you're investing in. I don't think anyone truly knows anything about the crypto market.
:D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1919 on: August 30, 2018, 05:13:24 pm »
Despite using and mining Bitcoin/Cryptocurrencies for years I've never been able to handle it as an investment.

I put £500 in AMD stock a few months back and took out £830 yesterday because I felt it was becoming over valued. Yes it's still a gamble on paper but it's nice being able to have insight on the thing/industry you're investing in. I don't think anyone truly knows anything about the crypto market.
revolutions!

fugazi
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR