Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1922730 times)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Re: General Newcastle United thread - now with added Benitez
« Reply #11000 on: February 14, 2018, 03:50:06 am »
Listening to the game podcast now, well worth a listen.

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11001 on: February 14, 2018, 07:49:27 am »
Still buzzing off Sunday - love the comments in here  ;D

Rafa!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #11002 on: February 14, 2018, 10:20:15 am »
Re: the Times's The Game podcast live from Newcastle the other day.
He tells a story of helping out coaching at his daughter's school after being sacked by us that couldn't have been more Rafa unless he used 'Kwalitee' and 'good mentality, no?' in there somewhere  :D

Video clip in here:
https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/963065338542936065

privileged to have met Rafa. Every bit the gentleman you could imagine. Very funny too

Fella taking a picture for me was struggling and Rafa goes "you need a clicky click no?" Then laughed

Nearly walked off without his book "dont forget this" and laughed again. Gent
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #11003 on: February 14, 2018, 10:46:46 am »
Still buzzing off Sunday - love the comments in here  ;D

Rafa!

Pretty much wherever Rafa goes will end up being the ‘second team’ for most Liverpool fans  :)

But you chaps tick all the boxes for the sort of team we’d all love to pull away from danger anyway. Shelvey too, c*nt of a OWNER, great supporters. And said it before but I think Rafa is my favourite person ever in football for what he did for this club and city. Can’t fathom any Liverpool fan who doesn’t recognise that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:08:24 pm by Eel Lobo »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #11004 on: February 14, 2018, 10:53:44 am »
Did Merino fall out of favour or is he still overcoming injury?

He looked really bright in his first few games.

I thought that a midfield 3 of Diame Shelvey and Merino with Kenedy left, Ritchie right and possibly Gayle as the striker would be quite decent.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11005 on: February 14, 2018, 02:23:31 pm »
Pretty much wherever Rafa goes will end up being the ‘second team’ for most Liverpool fans  :)

But you chaps tick all the boxes for the sort of team we’d all love to pull away from danger anyway. Shelvey too, c*nt of a manager, great supporters. And said it before but I think Rafa is my favourite person ever in football for what he did for this club and city. Can’t fathom any Liverpool fan who doesn’t recognise that.
c#nt of a manager???

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #11006 on: February 14, 2018, 03:21:21 pm »
c#nt of a manager???

I assume he meant owner, given he called Rafa his favourite football man ever  :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11007 on: February 14, 2018, 04:08:04 pm »
Oops  :butt
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Trotterwatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11008 on: February 16, 2018, 10:12:20 am »
One of my fave Rafa quotes was this, unfortunately some ridiculed him for it.  I'm fairly certain he was referring to the cartoon though where he was indeed called Willy Fogg:

"My players travel more than Willy Fogg," Benitez said to quizzical looks. "Willy Fogg? Around the World in 80 Days?" "Phileas Fogg, you mean." "Oh, yes, Phileas Fogg, sorry." The point was well made, though.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11009 on: February 16, 2018, 10:14:16 am »
I assume he meant owner, given he called Rafa his favourite football man ever  :D
ah right

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #11010 on: February 20, 2018, 07:45:29 am »
Michael Owen - prick!

Paul Ferris on why Michael Owen didn't play v Fulham in penultimate match of 2008-09 relegation season: "Michael didn’t want to risk his groin because he was out of contract in the summer and was saying, ‘I’ll not get a contract at another club if I’m injured'."

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11011 on: February 20, 2018, 08:40:43 am »
Michael Owen - prick!

Paul Ferris on why Michael Owen didn't play v Fulham in penultimate match of 2008-09 relegation season: "Michael didn’t want to risk his groin because he was out of contract in the summer and was saying, ‘I’ll not get a contract at another club if I’m injured'."

Haha, you Toon fans are discovering that we at LFC are always right!

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11012 on: February 20, 2018, 09:38:54 am »
One of my fave Rafa quotes was this, unfortunately some ridiculed him for it.  I'm fairly certain he was referring to the cartoon though where he was indeed called Willy Fogg:

The Spanish adaptation of it was indeed called Willy Fogg. I'm surprised Rafa didn't stand his ground there, he was brilliant with the press despite their constant onslaught, hounding and xenophobia.

Love seeing him do well, seems a lifetime ago since he had us beating anyone in Europe. Still leaves a sour taste that he never got the chance to finish what he started with us.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #11013 on: February 20, 2018, 01:28:53 pm »
The Spanish adaptation of it was indeed called Willy Fogg. I'm surprised Rafa didn't stand his ground there, he was brilliant with the press despite their constant onslaught, hounding and xenophobia.

Love seeing him do well, seems a lifetime ago since he had us beating anyone in Europe. Still leaves a sour taste that he never got the chance to finish what he started with us.

You never know what football with throw up in the future. If anything were to happen with Klopp (and no, before anyone says anything, I am fully behind our manager and think he has a lot of rafa's traits as well), then there would be a clamour for him I would have thought. The story further up that he mentioned in that podcast I have heard a few times. His daughters were at the same school as the son of a close friend of mine. He would also regularly meet up with the dad's for a pint and chat about anything. Apparently just a lovely bloke as is his wife who does a lot for charity on the wirral. Love the fella.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11014 on: February 20, 2018, 02:46:45 pm »
You never know what football with throw up in the future. If anything were to happen with Klopp (and no, before anyone says anything, I am fully behind our manager and think he has a lot of rafa's traits as well), then there would be a clamour for him I would have thought. The story further up that he mentioned in that podcast I have heard a few times. His daughters were at the same school as the son of a close friend of mine. He would also regularly meet up with the dad's for a pint and chat about anything. Apparently just a lovely bloke as is his wife who does a lot for charity on the wirral. Love the fella.

Never say never, indeed.

Really hope he can do something special with the bar codes, a good cup run or maybe in the europa league within a year or two.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #11015 on: February 20, 2018, 04:17:28 pm »
Never say never, indeed.

Really hope he can do something special with the bar codes, a good cup run or maybe in the europa league within a year or two.

I sincerely hope so. I have a few close friends who are Newcastle supporters and they love the fella....almost as much as us. They deserve some success as does Rafa for sticking by them. However, I do think if the ownership situation isn`t sorted out by the summer then Rafa may throw the towel in. There is only so far he can take them and without the backing then he can`t easily take them much further if they stay up. He doesn`t need the money or the aggro and whilst it would really cut him up I suspect to leave the fact is that he cant do anymore with the tools at his disposal.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #11016 on: February 20, 2018, 05:35:34 pm »
If Rafa chooses to leave, I do hope he's learned his lesson and goes to a club with both great ownership and fans. 

His career after us has been just painful to watch with his talent wasted on awful employment situations.

It would be best if decent and well heeled owners were to buy the Barcodes.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11017 on: February 20, 2018, 05:40:04 pm »
Never say never, indeed.

Nah. Say never :)

The owners had the chance to get him after Kenny, and went for Brendan Rodgers instead. They had the chance after Rodgers and went for Klopp instead. In the meantime he's struggled with pretty average clubs. Love the man to bits, but he wont manage Liverpool again.

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #11018 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:22 am »
Haha, you Toon fans are discovering that we at LFC are always right!

I never liked him for us mate - he was all about England and didn't give a shit about NUFC bar his 100K a week wages!

This is the extract from the book - what a prick!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11019 on: February 21, 2018, 09:03:52 am »
they should have leaked at the time that he refused to play

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #11020 on: February 21, 2018, 12:09:28 pm »
they should have leaked at the time that he refused to play

Agreed - he's getting pelters off our fans on twitter but has yet to reply to anyone!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11021 on: February 21, 2018, 01:36:24 pm »
Agreed - he's getting pelters off our fans on twitter but has yet to reply to anyone!
Bellamy was thrown under a bus by souness for similar

maybe they didnt want it getting out while they were battling the drop?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11022 on: February 21, 2018, 01:52:02 pm »
This is the extract from the book - what a prick!

Sorry whose book is that from mate?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #11023 on: February 21, 2018, 04:06:11 pm »
Sorry whose book is that from mate?

Should be a good read for our fans pal;

https://play.google.com/store/audiobooks/details?id=AQAAAID97SJtzM&source=productsearch&utm_source=HA&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=PLA&pcampaignid=MKT-DR-na-us-1000189-Med-hasem-bk-Evergreen-Nov1417-PLA-audiobookspla*AQAAAID97SJtzM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzozvx7G32QIVS2wbCh07pgeNEAQYASABEgIg4vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CND1v8mxt9kCFVPgGwodPCEMjg

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #11024 on: February 21, 2018, 04:08:34 pm »
Bellamy was thrown under a bus by souness for similar

maybe they didnt want it getting out while they were battling the drop?

That plus Owen is pally with Shearer so I suspect the latter might have kept it hush.

To think our total outlay on Owen was something like £38 million  :no Sorry, about £32.5 million when you factor in the money we received from the FA for his injury playing for his beloved England!

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #11025 on: February 22, 2018, 02:45:38 am »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #11026 on: February 23, 2018, 01:58:04 pm »
Slimani is out for another two weeks so will miss the game at your place next week - bollocks

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11027 on: February 23, 2018, 02:31:09 pm »
A fairly desperate signing in the first place tbf, injured player in on loan.

Does Shearer fancy a few games? If you could transplant that aggression and drive into Joselu he's your man. You watch the poor guy on the pitch you actually feel sorry for him : has the hangdog expression with world on his shoulders look down to a tee. Tragic. Biggest opportunity in his career, has everything to swat defenders out the way and finish....yet it seems that step in the head is missing. Joselu needs to start giving defenders a game, kick a few, get the aggression flowing and maybe that'll override his fear and meekness on the pitch.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11028 on: February 23, 2018, 11:57:20 pm »
If Rafa chooses to leave, I do hope he's learned his lesson and goes to a club with both great ownership and fans. 
With Newcastle, I believe he did. It’s closer to the family and he loves the fans and the support that gets. The owner part he compromises and it’s not working as he hoped for. With the right owner, he can take Newcastle to Top 10
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11029 on: February 24, 2018, 12:00:13 am »
Slimani is out for another two weeks so will miss the game at your place next week - bollocks
How much did you guys have to pay for him for how many games until end of season that he can play? I guess Joselu then
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11030 on: February 24, 2018, 08:19:13 am »
Nah. Say never :)

The owners had the chance to get him after Kenny, and went for Brendan Rodgers instead. They had the chance after Rodgers and went for Klopp instead. In the meantime he's struggled with pretty average clubs. Love the man to bits, but he wont manage Liverpool again.

Which clubs?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11031 on: February 24, 2018, 04:55:46 pm »
FFS Newcastle. Was hoping you lot would hang on today, those 2 points would have been huge table wise.

Anfield next for Rafa.

Online RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11032 on: February 24, 2018, 05:05:46 pm »
Today just shows how close the bottom half of the table is this season - at half 4, Newcastle were in 10th and Southampton were in 18th, 15 minutes later and they were next to each other in 15th and 16th.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #11033 on: February 25, 2018, 12:57:13 pm »

Anfield next for Rafa.

Which reminded me of this underrated quote

'Even though he was being replaced by Rafa, Gerard Houllier still loved Liverpool and he remained very close to me. He and my mum flew out to Portugal to watch me play for England against Croatia — and they bumped into Rafa.

'Gerard introduced Rafa to my mum. Rafa shook her hand, said hello and then immediately asked her a very blunt question: "Does Steven like money?"

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11034 on: February 26, 2018, 07:42:38 pm »
I love Rafa Benitez more than anyone in the sport of football, past or present.

And stuff like this is why :lmao typical Rafa

Reminds me of San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh, who like Bill Shankly took over a poor club and made them into a dynasty.

The strive for perfection is unreal.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fernando-torres-offers-fascinating-insight-14338094
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #11035 on: February 26, 2018, 08:47:13 pm »
I just get the feeling that if he can somehow keep them up, the sale of the club will go through and with a couple of key signings, next year they’ll be comfortably in the positions of 7th to 10th with the likes of Leicester and Everton.
How would the resident geordies feel about taking andy Carroll back?

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11036 on: February 26, 2018, 09:07:15 pm »
If we stay up, If the fat c*nt sells up and we get new, decent owners who get behind and back Rafa then I expect him to sign far better than Andy Carroll.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11037 on: February 26, 2018, 09:08:00 pm »
If we stay up, If the fat c*nt sells up and we get new, decent owners who get behind and back Rafa then I expect him to sign far better than Andy Carroll.
Agreed...

Although I hope you get destroyed in your next league game.....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #11038 on: February 26, 2018, 10:52:12 pm »

I'm sure, but as an option on the bench with 52,000 fans screaming for one of their own, could be formidable....

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11039 on: February 26, 2018, 10:58:46 pm »

His career after us has been just painful to watch with his talent wasted on awful employment situations.

Only by his remarkably high standards. He has won a lot more than we have since he left.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.