Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 80541 times)

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
Re: MLS Thread
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 10:16:25 am »
Also, league salary rules follow the usual Calvinball rules ("Whatever we say they are") particularly where letting NY or LA get what they want comes into play.  Hence this latest rule change to allow LA to sign Dos Santos.
And it's official, Gio signs for LA Galaxy. I would imagine the El Tri supporters are just as pissed about this as were the US supporters when the likes of Dempsey and Bradley came back.

MLS: champions of league parity.  ;D

Also, Stevie and Lampard were chosen by the commissioner for the "All-Star game". They haven't even played a minute yet. Of course, there are current MLS players that are sour about this and some will miss out on bonus money.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2015, 04:10:09 pm »

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2015, 04:21:22 pm »
The league is getting stronger to be honest. I like the Timbers strategy of signing young South American kids for decent money instead of past it players looking for one last paycheck.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2015, 04:57:03 pm »
The league is getting stronger to be honest. I like the Timbers strategy of signing young South American kids for decent money instead of past it players looking for one last paycheck.

Orlando City did this with a few Colombians recently, too, didn't they? I know Tim Vickery mentioned one of them as a good prospect - Rivas, I believe his name was...
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2015, 06:08:33 pm »
The salaries of all MLS players

https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/July%2015,%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20Alphabetical.pdf

I make more money than about half of these guys.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2015, 11:41:42 pm »
The salaries of all MLS players

https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/July%2015,%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20Alphabetical.pdf

I make more money than about half of these guys.

50K a season when you're in your early 20s must be brilliant. Maybe not so much with a family, but definitely a good first job straight out of college.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2015, 12:47:22 am »

50K a season when you're in your early 20s must be brilliant. Maybe not so much with a family, but definitely a good first job straight out of college.
At least they finally raised the minimum wage. Last season it was $36,500. Imagine trying to live in NYC, Seattle, Vancouver, San Jose, DC, or LA with that.

In LFC related news, former LFC academy player Marc Pelosi signed with San Jose. Happy to see him get a chance after his injury troubles.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2015, 02:44:12 am »
How is lampard in the all star team before playing a game but Pirlo isn't??

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2015, 02:59:42 am »
How is lampard in the all star team before playing a game but Pirlo isn't??
Because Garber only cares about TV ratings and $$$.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2015, 08:15:18 pm »
Drogba to Montreal.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2015, 09:22:38 pm »
MLS is like the Qatari leagues, payday retirement home for old pros, just without the slave labour and homophobia.

If I was a player, with millions in the bank, I think I'd drop down the English leagues rather than go abroad for one last payday.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2015, 09:23:36 pm »
MLS is like the Qatari leagues, payday retirement home for old pros, just without the slave labour and homophobia.

If I was a player, with millions in the bank, I think I'd drop down the English leagues rather than go abroad for one last payday.

Why? What would be the point of dropping down to the lower English leagues?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2015, 09:36:50 pm »
Why? What would be the point of dropping down to the lower English leagues?

Chance to play for double European Champions Nottingham Forest, or Preston North End, first club to win the double, or a fan-owned club like AFC Wimbledon, there's tons of romance in the lower divisions here.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2015, 09:53:04 pm »

Or they come to the US where the weather doesn't suck, they can get a fat paycheck, and they'll be treated like royalty.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2015, 09:58:15 pm »
Chance to play for double European Champions Nottingham Forest, or Preston North End, first club to win the double, or a fan-owned club like AFC Wimbledon, there's tons of romance in the lower divisions here.

Haha. Why would players care about past trophies? They don't care about it in their prime and they sure as heck don't care about it when they're a year or two from retiring.

Gerrard is on about £75,000 a week for the LA Galaxy. No Championship team is going to be able to shell out that kind of money. 
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2015, 10:03:20 pm »
Or they come to the US where the weather doesn't suck, they can get a fat paycheck, and they'll be treated like royalty.

That's also a very good thing for a lot of people. I just personally would try and cut it in the Championship, then L1, then L2 etc.

I'd especially like to help new teams get into the Prem for a nice bite of the money pie.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2015, 10:07:11 pm »
That's also a very good thing for a lot of people. I just personally would try and cut it in the Championship, then L1, then L2 etc.

I'd especially like to help new teams get into the Prem for a nice bite of the money pie.

Don't blame you for thinking that way. Unfortunately, most professional athletes aren't cut from the same cloth as you and I.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2015, 10:25:47 pm »

You have to remember though, a lot of these guys have egos. It's more glamorous for the previously pampered star to be seen playing in New York against LA and Chicago than playing for MK Dons against Brentford and Huddersfield.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2015, 10:56:11 pm »
You have to remember this is the last any of these players are going to make a huge salary doing what they love. After that it's going to be sponsorships, adverts and possibly commentary. This is the last big pay day for them. It makes absolute sense to take that big pay day. You don't think a championship team or division one team would take a 37/38 year old Gerrard if he offered his services?

Offline NHRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2015, 12:20:51 am »

The weather can suck.  Football in 90 (F) weather and 90% humidity is no fun at all.  On the other hand, the early spring and late fall matches can get snowed out.  There's a reason New England normally play their 1st 3 or 4 matches on the road in March and April.

European players are, admittedly, mostly on fat paychecks.

As for living like royalty, it's more about living comfortably.  Not being swarmed by nasty-ass "journalists" hounding their every move is a big attraction for many of them.

All that being said, the football is much better than even a few years ago and infinitely better than the late 90's.

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2015, 02:10:06 am »

Not to mention they can live in relative peace and quiet if that's what they choose to do.

See this is what more clubs should be doing. I love seeing South Americans on the pitch and think more MLS should do the same.

Offline darcy171

• Kopite
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2015, 10:36:28 am »
See this is what more clubs should be doing. I love seeing South Americans on the pitch and think more MLS should do the same.

Worth noting FC Dallas currently top of the West conference and Supporter's Shield. Doing great with a selection of home grown talent, notably from Central and South America. Not relying on high paid Designated players. I think their highest salary is around $400k for the season. Massive difference compared to the millions being thrown out by LA, NYC and Toronto.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2015, 11:35:26 am »
Haha. Why would players care about past trophies? They don't care about it in their prime and they sure as heck don't care about it when they're a year or two from retiring.

Gerrard is on about £75,000 a week for the LA Galaxy. No Championship team is going to be able to shell out that kind of money.

Yes but Gerrard is an exceptional player. I doubt Bradley Wright Philips is on that kind of money, for instance. Players in the Championship still earn some serious money. There are at least ten Championship clubs with wage bills of over £20m, and even the smallest Championship clubs pay out more in wages than LA Galaxy do.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline darcy171

• Kopite
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2015, 12:03:22 pm »
Yes but Gerrard is an exceptional player. I doubt Bradley Wright Philips is on that kind of money, for instance. Players in the Championship still earn some serious money. There are at least ten Championship clubs with wage bills of over £20m, and even the smallest Championship clubs pay out more in wages than LA Galaxy do.

If you offered me the chance to move to LA, or New York etc in the last couple of years of my chosen profession, I'd bite your hand off. Apart from the top few of Gerrard, Lampard, Kaka etc, MLS doesn't pay high salaries, compared to the championship. And apart from the odd few, thats probably why most "decent" players don't move over there. And from the leagues point of view, that helps develop home talent instead of flooding in tons of foreign players.

The league's salary structure is designed to be able to attract ageing stars to boost interest and rating, but not to attract too much of the levels just below that.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2015, 04:18:54 pm »

Think of it as a low pressure, high paying job.

I would do exactly the same as any of the players who moved to the States on fat contracts. I'd rather play in the summer, then spend the holidays in Miami than, play football in rainy England, on terrible pitches, most likely getting injured any time soon.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:23 pm »
The league's salary structure is designed to be able to attract ageing stars to boost interest and rating, but not to attract too much of the levels just below that.
It is changing, they will buy players who fell off sight like Giovinco on good contracts. Timbers are buying highly rated youngsters from South America already.

Think Gourcuff might think about moving to the MLS if I was him, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2015, 04:26:41 pm »
Bradley Wright Phillips is making almost $12kpw. He is about League 1 level in England and I doubt any league 1 team will pay him the same amount if he was their player.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2015, 06:39:25 pm »
I would go to the MLS in a player's shoes. Played in England, why not do something different now? MLS would be something different, decent pay and I would feel less degraded then slumping down the league as my body failed me.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »
Bradley Wright Phillips is making almost $12kpw. He is about League 1 level in England and I doubt any league 1 team will pay him the same amount if he was their player.

That's probably about right for a League 1 average wage, yes.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:22 pm »
Worth noting FC Dallas currently top of the West conference and Supporter's Shield. Doing great with a selection of home grown talent, notably from Central and South America. Not relying on high paid Designated players. I think their highest salary is around $400k for the season. Massive difference compared to the millions being thrown out by LA, NYC and Toronto.

Yeah that Diaz fella is brilliant. Personally I think the MLS is as good as it's ever been because of him and Giovinco and Kaka and a few others. And I'm particularly pleased with how the Red Bulls are playing. I really miss Thierry Henry in the team though.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 3, 2015, 10:23:37 pm »
I see lots of "LA/New York" comments in here, and I think that if the MLS isn't careful that'll be the downfall of the league. What aging star is going to want to go to Salt Lake City or Columbus when there are two teams in New York and eventually two teams in LA to choose from? In my opinion the DP thing really has to be kept to a minimum, because you're going to end up with another Cosmos situation (or, say, the SPL) where 90% of the league is garbage.

Having said that, Seattle and Portland are raking it in and both have rabid fanbases without any major star power (well, the Sounders have Dempsey). There is clearly an excellent chance that my fears will not come to pass.

Maybe I'm just cranky because I live in Boston and seeing my team requires driving an hour out of the city. I think it's madness to leave things the way they are when you could easily be looking at 20,000+ attendance if they built a stadium somewhere on public trans. Ugh.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 3, 2015, 11:17:19 pm »
Having said that, Seattle and Portland are raking it in and both have rabid fanbases without any major star power

Not a big Liam Ridgewell fan   ???

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 4, 2015, 01:58:05 am »
I see lots of "LA/New York" comments in here, and I think that if the MLS isn't careful that'll be the downfall of the league. What aging star is going to want to go to Salt Lake City or Columbus when there are two teams in New York and eventually two teams in LA to choose from? In my opinion the DP thing really has to be kept to a minimum, because you're going to end up with another Cosmos situation (or, say, the SPL) where 90% of the league is garbage.

Having said that, Seattle and Portland are raking it in and both have rabid fanbases without any major star power (well, the Sounders have Dempsey). There is clearly an excellent chance that my fears will not come to pass.

The league is still in the negative in terms of profit, and TV numbers are dreadful, despite how much they like to spin it for the positive. I think the recent NYCFC/Orlando match only had something like 245,000 viewers. This was Pirlo's debut, and also featured Kaka and David Villa on a Sunday afternoon, not competing with other major sporting events. Truly pathetic. EPL is averaging close 500,000 with weekend morning games, meaning the West coast is hardly awake too.

Maybe I'm just cranky because I live in Boston and seeing my team requires driving an hour out of the city. I think it's madness to leave things the way they are when you could easily be looking at 20,000+ attendance if they built a stadium somewhere on public trans. Ugh.
I passively support the Union, who are my local team. Arguably the worst run team in the league and also have a stadium 20 miles south of the actual city. They have a solid supporter section, but it is out of the way of majority of the metro area population in a shit area. Beautiful stadium, but it was such a poor idea to build a stadium that far out of the city. As the attendance dwindles, they will see the mistake in a few years times.

At least it seems like Kraft finally wants to build a soccer stadium in the city area for the Revs.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #113 on: August 4, 2015, 11:51:42 am »
Some mad salaries in that list. Nigel Reo-Coker on £3k a week whilst Liam Ridgwell on £12k - roughly translated.

Kaka ($6.6m) leads they way, following closely by Gerrard ($6.2m)and Lampard ($6m) Robbie Keane and David Villa ($4.5m) yet Pirlo on $2m.

Those are millions ahead of most players like.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 4, 2015, 12:08:05 pm »
Shaun Maloney plays in the MLS? Missed that one..

Offline TheSoundLady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #115 on: August 5, 2015, 05:12:34 am »

That's silly though because he's one of the best performers in MLS, he's as important to his team as Robbie Keane is to the Galaxy, so you can't look at what he'd be doing in England. He's actually very good.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 5, 2015, 01:40:48 pm »
That's silly though because he's one of the best performers in MLS, he's as important to his team as Robbie Keane is to the Galaxy, so you can't look at what he'd be doing in England. He's actually very good.

The point was really about how much he might earn though. The question being whether players would prefer to decamp to MLS at the end of their careers or drop down the English League pyramid. BWP is an interesting and unusual example of a fairly ordinary English player making the move when he could possibly have made more playing in England.

If he was a regular key player in a Championship side, he'd probably earn more than he does in MLS, which shows that the money argument doesn't really stack up unless you're a superstar. (Obviously there might be other attractions to playing over there.)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2015, 07:25:49 pm »
It was interesting seeing Villa, Lampard and Pirlo play together but they definitely looked off the pace. 2-0 win to the good and some massive piss taking to Man City II by the fans. I brought my daughter to the game but in hindsight it might not have been a good idea because I was sat near the NYC supporters section and when we took the lead we all went mental at them. I looked at her after things settled down and she was crying. She's 2.  ;D poor girl.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2015, 07:39:31 pm »
It was interesting seeing Villa, Lampard and Pirlo play together but they definitely looked off the pace. 2-0 win to the good and some massive piss taking to Man City II by the fans. I brought my daughter to the game but in hindsight it might not have been a good idea because I was sat near the NYC supporters section and when we took the lead we all went mental at them. I looked at her after things settled down and she was crying. She's 2.  ;D poor girl.

Pirlo lost possession repeatedly, caught in the tackle five or six times early in the second half alone. Clearly, Marsch had demanded NYRB press him when in possession, and he did look well off the pace.

As for Lampard, getting megged by Grella could not have been enjoyable...

http://bloguin.com/32flags/the-locker/video-no-joke-frank-lampard-got-nutmegged-by-red-bulls-mike-grella.html
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2015, 08:30:21 pm »
Speaking of NYCFC fans, that neo nazi supporter group that was banned from their stadium earlier in the season, started a fight in a bar with some NYRB supporters. I really hope MLS puts a full stadium ban on these dopes.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/behind-between-supporters-38523/

Fuck off shit heads, your team is a few months old. The whole ultra scene here in the US is full of cringe.