Author Topic: Chess World Championship  (Read 56682 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chess World Championship
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2016, 10:39:42 pm »
moves as they happen:  https://worldchess.com/nyc2016/

glad the commentators echo what I'm thinking... the next move could determine the destiny of the title. Maybe. Could. I think.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2016, 10:41:50 pm »
'It's like a game of chess out there'

My pet peev in football commentary. And this is why. I understand it, but it irritates the bejaysus out of me.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2016, 10:51:53 pm »
Very very tense here.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:06 pm »
Karjakin has took nearly 30 mins over this. Can't help wondering now if Carlsen is going to respond very quickly to try to outpsyche Karjakin with literally seconds on the clock.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2016, 10:58:04 pm »
Karjakin has took nearly 30 mins over this. Can't help wondering now if Carlsen is going to respond very quickly to try to outpsyche Karjakin with literally seconds on the clock.

And boom, he crashed in, but Carlsen has to take back, so no real biggy. Now Qc5+ and Carlsen has to make his last move before the clocks get switched, and he has only a few seconds. Crucial move.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2016, 10:58:43 pm »
This is lovely stuff... d5!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2016, 11:14:09 pm »
The murmur in the auditorium will be electric right now. A break in the comms. And we've missed bloody everything?! Looking very good for white, and the title has almost changed hands.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2016, 11:19:49 pm »
Svidler bursts my balloon. He thinks a draw is happening, with reason. I think I got over excited.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2016, 11:40:03 pm »
Stream has died. So in memory of watching Kasparov v Kramnick live in London fight it out for the title:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7jZQkOHcFGU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7jZQkOHcFGU</a>

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2016, 06:54:25 pm »
It's game 10. Two more games to play as white for Carlsen. He needs a win, or it's certain death. Starts 7pm.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qLPHvbD8K4s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qLPHvbD8K4s</a>

See moves AS PLAYED here... far quicker than the comms which lag behind. https://worldchess.com/nyc2016/

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2016, 07:33:47 pm »
Instead of bombing the forum... some notes on the game:

I have played this position possibly hundreds of times... after 9 Nbd2... it's all about getting the Queen to c2 - a favourite place of mine for the Queen.

Amazing how these fellas in commentary can knock off a 15 move sequence to show a drawing ending with such ease.

Move 12, and already, I'm in unknown territory. Qc2 doesn't look immediately likely.

Am wondering if Karjakin is thinking about throwing his h pawn into the fray.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2016, 07:58:24 pm »
I wonder if sometimes chess players occassionally dream of standing up out of their chair, and putting their fingers under the board, and having an absolute epi, flipping the whole board in the air, with the pieces flying all over the room and saying... 'Oh just FUCK this off.'

Photos of him sitting in the corner of an empty pub reading the papers and enjoying a Guinness get printed the next day.

Gustaffson mentions the Fourth Wall... but no mention of Brecht from the German.

13.... g3 probably delays any immediate h pawn move from black. Who knows.

Man United out if they lose. I'd like them to have the 'annoyance' of Europa, but I'd prefer them to just lose. At home.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2016, 08:24:33 pm »
After being trolled on Twitter, Svidler 'congratulates' the troll on his succesful attempt to suggest Karjakin throws up his g pawn.

Svidler: 'Can you succeed in purposes?' (reflecting on his corect use of English)
Gustaffson: 'I've never succeeded in any purpose.'

and then Svidler brings in his love for TMS. Stops himself continuing... but his love for cricket shining thru again... 'yes... I see a pigeon out of the window'... sounds so good in a Russian accent. Lovely.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2016, 08:38:20 pm »
I love Gustafsson. If I ever become a GM I want to play him and then have about a million beers with him...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2016, 08:51:00 pm »
I've just joined twitter. Was the only way I could encourage a bit more cricket conversation from Svidler. Am also determined to land him an interview during TMS lunch break with Aggers.

I love Gustafsson. If I ever become a GM I want to play him and then have about a million beers with him...

He's great ;D

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2016, 08:56:27 pm »
He's the right kind of smug bastard... ;)
Svidler is kind of boring though. He's okay but I wouldn't want to go for a drink with him...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2016, 09:18:29 pm »
He's the right kind of smug bastard... ;)
Svidler is kind of boring though. He's okay but I wouldn't want to go for a drink with him...

Gustaffson is wonderfully self depracating, so I'd get along with him for that reason alone. Just had a good belly laugh with his nodding about the duck stuffed with a chicken or whatever.
I love Svidler too. Plays the straight man beautifully. Big cricket fan... yeah, we're mates. Big Lars von Trier fan - knows his stuff about film I reckon. His sense of humour may be quieter, but it's very strong.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2016, 09:28:16 pm »
Have to say, I wouldn't have encouraged black to have a rook behind a queen here.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2016, 09:31:50 pm »
Yeah, that was a weird move... But how is this a draw? Don't get thst?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2016, 09:34:22 pm »
Yeah, that was a weird move... But how is this a draw? Don't get thst?

I was in the middle of working what the fuck was going on draw wise... apparantly getting trolled on twitter. Surely this is a potential win for black so why throw that opportunity!?

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2016, 09:36:43 pm »
Apart from the trolling they seemed fine with it being a draw and I would have said black is in a slightly better position no matter how that situation was resolved...

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2016, 10:10:34 pm »
I remember reading an article years ago about that moment when a son or daughter beats his father at chess for the first time - and that basically, the child is ready to flee the nest after that. The shift in emphasis changes. Can't remember who wrote it, but was a lovely story about a chess loving father and his kids. Mine are too young right now, but I remember when my wife first beat me, and I wanted her to flee too.

Never really played much as a youngster - i got interested in it when i was 16 but the chess club was a bit geeky for me back then. Was only when I left school that I started getting more and more interested in it. For a while I got slightly obsessed, going through games in the papers everyday, solving the puzzles, buying books, reading about it in libraries, buying a chess computer. And I spent hours learning lines... but I'm not sure if I ever really learned anything worthwhile. For about 8 years I must have played about 10 blitz games a day on the old chessclub site... 10 mins each side, and that probably ruined me. It's not a good way to learn about chess, but great fun. Lots of internet abuse from opponents. But held my own against an Israeli IM which I'm quite proud of - failed to see a really obvious mating opportunity in the deciding game which still irritates me 15 years later. Draw.

Am giving some thoughts to teaching 6-8 year olds the game at my sons school. About my level sadly. If the curriculum was up to me it would be taught in all schools at that age.

I don't really remember a moment like that with my dad, but there might have been one... ;)

I think in general chess is really geeky and a lot of the clichees seem true. As I've already said Gustafsson is one of the cooler chess players (not that I know a lot of those world class guys) and even he is rather nerdy. Svidler fits the clichee a bit better, but might still be somewhere between what I'd say is the cool chess players and the really nerdy ones. And the thing is, I don't think it ever changes. When I was playing as a kid/teen most of the others were really geeky and nerdy guys. And now that I'm 36 I'm still seeing all those old geeky, nerdy guys who are probably all working as accountants or some boring shit like that. It's even worse that a lot of the people are about a million years old. I had to play a match with my team a year and half or so ago and we arrived at the home team's place. I was with a guy who's the same age as my dad (late 50s) and two more guys who are 60 and 65+. The team we were playing probably had an average age of 70. One guy even had one of those mobile oxygen tanks. It's moments like this when I'm asking myself "What the fuck am I doing here..." ;)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2016, 10:27:44 pm »
The reason I posted up The Fall's Carry Bag Man, was due to me fondly remembering at least 5 lone men in their 40's to 70's coming into the bar/audience area, finding a spec (and I can't remember now if it was free to get into the bar area for the Kasparov v Kramnick World Championships in London), and taking out their sandwich boxes out of their plastic bags and their chessboards (even tho it was all on screens) and sitting there very happily, alone... ALL day. All looked slightly homeless too. I love the geeky edge with chess. Even Nigel Short... he was uber-geeky when he first came on the scene, but he was a great commentator in that world title fight - disarmingly funny. They all were really.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2016, 10:37:42 pm »
The one thing I really enjoy when I'm in that geeky environment is that I imagine others looking at me sipping at a beer thinking "Wow, I wish I was as hip as that guy..." Something that I can't see happening anywhere else... ;)

This is the third World Championship game I'm watching and once again, I kind of feel the same way when I'm playing against guys who are at my level or better than me. When you get into a game and think really hard, you quite often start seeing loads of possibilities for yourself and often they are very, very good. But most of the time, they depend on the other guy making a mistake. When he's at your level or better, that mistake just isn't coming. I really get pissed off when I'm in that situation. Don't really want to imagine what it is like for those guys who basically see loads of stuff, but also the other guy always comes up with the right answer. It's rather strange...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2016, 10:41:41 pm »
turning into an interesting game.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2016, 10:44:12 pm »
It's rather strange...

The more I play chess, the less I know. Sounds glib and a bit yuck, but on a different planet move after move after move.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2016, 10:49:45 pm »
What makes it actually worse is the commentary. Because they show you all the options (just like when you're playing and thinking about possible move combinations). It all takes just a couple of seconds but on the board it often takes ages until you see the actual outcome especially if you play someone who takes loads of time to think. It makes me go crazy when I'm playing myself...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2016, 10:59:28 pm »
In order to follow the game properly... you need the board in front of updating you on all the moves as they happen. You need someone beside you operating a really good chess analysis program, you need an actual board, that's also operated by someone else.. you need the commentary.. and you need it all in synch.

What doesn't help is then signing up to twitter during the game and having friends following you within minutes and then texting you laughing at the fact I signed up. Then trying to work out twitter, and why my text messaging service has just changed... fucks sake. Absolutely shattered.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2016, 11:07:32 pm »
Twitter is the devil. I've signed up a while ago and still don't have a full idea on how it works. That's probably why I'm not really using it...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2016, 11:13:22 pm »
trying to work out if Ra3 preparing a6... Black b6?.. White a7... ?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2016, 11:17:08 pm »
Ah... 45... Kb8 sort of negates any of that.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2016, 11:35:36 pm »
16 is the number on the napkin...

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2016, 11:36:21 pm »
17... Wow... So close...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2016, 12:19:24 am »
Svidler...'Black Mirror is a very good show...'
Gustaffson: 'That's a smart people show right?'

;D Nodded off, woke to that. Bedtime.. headphones.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2016, 10:32:57 pm »
Have emailed Agnew about Svidler. My job is to oil wheels, that's all I'm good at. Or not. We'll see.  Often not in truth.

Watched the rest of last nights game 'as live' this morning. Delighted to see that Carlsen managed to finally eek out a win. How I don't know. I was shattered just following these games this last week, so how these players do it is utterly beyond me. I'm not rooting for any player at all - just want a good fight and we've got one.

But I'm learning alot I think. Patience for one. When you play blitz chess too much, you learn absolutely nothing, apart from seeing possible ways to crash in and upset and out-psyche. And if you lose? Who cares... you just click 'new game'. But watching this chess is literally a million years away from me.

The supression of Black's knight during the endgame was intruiging to me, and of course, the ability to wait, because his opponent HAS to make a move, and in blitz you just forget all that.

Think I'm right in saying that Britain is one of the only countries in Europe that doesn't have chess down as a sport. To echo Chris Morris... 'Chess is not a sport, it's a game'. No... chess IS most definitely is a sport, and it's as gruelling as 12 rounds in the ring.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2016, 08:30:05 pm »
And we're back. I really hate that you brought up the chess24-streams, because no I have to watch them as they are quite entertaining. Gustafsson already with some great lines and Svidler as well...

Patience is really a virtue in chess. I usually don't have issues with taking it slow, but once I played this guy who was just blitzing out every move when we had 1.5 hours+30 seconds per move and I just got sucked in and started to play too fast. In the end I made a stupid mistake and lost. That was infuriating as the other guy wasn't even that good...

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2016, 05:42:24 am »
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2016, 05:13:14 pm »
Watched the draw the other day on somebody else's dinner table. First impressions score? Oooh I'd give that a 3/10. Back home to watch the final game, and can't bloomin' wait.

No reply from Agnew. Has Carlsen played 1 e4 yet? Haven't had time to sit down with it all - might look into that. Read the article in the Independent the other day, 'The World Chess Championship is the most exciting sport event right now', thinking that others in the mainstream would give it a similar suitable plug, but there doesn't seem to be much which I find a bit sad. Sad as in depressing. Grauniad have an article about the appeal of a slower sport... 'Chess masters show virtues of a slower pace of sport', and the New York Times have that political angle in 'At World Chess Championship, Familiar Overtones of East-West Politics'.

But RAWK IS LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. Oh yes.

And we're back. I really hate that you brought up the chess24-streams, because no I have to watch them as they are quite entertaining. Gustafsson already with some great lines and Svidler as well...

Patience is really a virtue in chess. I usually don't have issues with taking it slow, but once I played this guy who was just blitzing out every move when we had 1.5 hours+30 seconds per move and I just got sucked in and started to play too fast. In the end I made a stupid mistake and lost. That was infuriating as the other guy wasn't even that good...

I do the very same. On my chess app, I seem to do OK on the 10/20/30 seconds per move thing, but with 1 second/move, I just try to reply, and I still, after all these years... still try to out-psyche it!? But yes... it's a different game against a human - you get sucked in. Another thing I found really hard was playing over a proper board after playing hundreds of 2D computer graphic games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04gn2h1

Cheers Dave. Will give that a listen.

Eyes are down at about 6:50 pm.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2016, 06:48:34 pm »
... and It's LIVE!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xhPbUY_ZGLc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xhPbUY_ZGLc</a>

and the essential link to watch each move as played: https://worldchess.com/nyc2016/

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2016, 07:20:16 pm »
That escalated quickly...