Author Topic: Ewe Effing Ohhhs!  (Read 7811 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Ewe Effing Ohhhs!
« Reply #120 on: July 1, 2020, 11:07:31 pm »
all science does is throw hurdles under the feet saying they will believe when we have physical evidence..

a) That's a terrible characterisation of science, a hypothesis can be put forward with no chance of 'physical' evidence, as long as experiments can be designed that could falsify it. The more of these experiments that fail to disprove the hypothesis, the more likely the scientific community will come to accept it.

b) What should the theshold for believing in something be, if not evidence?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: July 1, 2020, 11:20:01 pm »
It’s exactly the three you’d expect to be involved as well. Two absolute nut jobs and Andy.

Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #122 on: July 2, 2020, 01:03:43 am »
It’s exactly the three you’d expect to be involved as well. Two absolute nut jobs and Andy.

;D

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #123 on: July 3, 2020, 12:33:15 pm »
Two absolute nut jobs and Andy.

That's the name of RAWK's first movie.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #124 on: July 3, 2020, 04:46:52 pm »
Nick Pope may know stuff, he worked for the UK government on UFOs, probably a cash in expert these days but will know some stuff. Space cadets like David Icke, a wild conspiracy theorist who latches onto anything for money, the world is full of them. You either want to believe, as the world is a dull and depressing hole at times and something out there would be great, or you don't. Those who furiously dismiss UFOs do so as they upset their centre of the universe feeling, plus scientists don't all agree, though all science does is throw hurdles under the feet saying they will believe when we have physical evidence. Even if evidence came to light it would be swept under a massive black carpet underground. I do believe, if a government came out and said aliens exits, the human race would panic and be cretins, as proved many times before. Hawking was certain that aliens exist, who am I to argue. How they get here is another question.

However, when it comes to mysteries, one of the best is really the pyramids. Not the trick of the light Cydonia ones on Mars but our very own geometric wonders. Why, because they are very fuckin hard to build, even using today's technology. Was a show on TV a few years back and they tried to build a really small one using modern tools, they had a very hard time doing so. Throw in the mysterious hieroglyphs, some looking like modern tech such as helicopters and planes, they are thousands of years old. Ancient civilisation founded by an alien race? Perhaps .. its a good mystery.

Let's not do pyramids again. They are easy to build with enough manpower. There is no complex engineering - they are just big piles of stone. Big lumps of stone I grant you but ancient people all over the world found ways to shift big lumps of stone.

Pile of rocks:

Enormous pile of rocks:

What a pyramid would look like of built by advanced technology:

Piling up rocks at or around the angle of repose is not advanced.

The size of the stones is impressive but the evidence of the 'bent' pyramid shows that they were building by trial and error, not advanced engineering.

They started building at 54º but fearing it was unstable and fearing it would collapse they lowered the angle to 43º halfway up.

I'd also suggest you visit the British Museum or the British Library if you want to know about heiroglyphics. I've had the priviledge to talk with the curators at the BM and they can tell you exactly what each of the characters represents.

I'm not sure why an alien civilisation who presumably travelled by some kind of faster than light spacecraft would include images of helicopters and planes, which would be primitive technology to them and would not be invented by humans for thousands of years. That makes zero sense. It's clear evidence that the similiarity is coincidence.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #125 on: July 3, 2020, 04:56:15 pm »
Chris Jericho | WWE
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #126 on: July 3, 2020, 05:03:29 pm »
I'm not sure why an alien civilisation who presumably travelled by some kind of faster than light spacecraft would include images of helicopters and planes, which would be primitive technology to them and would not be invented by humans for thousands of years. That makes zero sense. It's clear evidence that the similiarity is coincidence.

Checkmate.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: July 3, 2020, 05:50:26 pm »
Checkmate.

That's class! I want one.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: July 3, 2020, 06:19:23 pm »
What a pyramid would look like of built by advanced technology:

[/img]

I recognise that building - that is in Bratislava isn't it?

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: July 4, 2020, 06:15:40 pm »
Well that was a frank, sterile and decently researched response Alan! Though you cant explain away pyramids in a few lines to be fair, the pile of rocks anyone can do, the giant pyramid of Giza is another thing. It is perhaps well documented that builders used giant sleds to haul rocks but the preparation and construction times are phenomenal. British museums do not hold the all answers that archaeologists are still trying unravel, great points of reference though. Its a great mystery why they really exist (giant sundials and calendars?) An impressive feat for its time, probably better than anything comparable using modern tech in modern times.  I do like the upside pyramid though, has some style.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: July 4, 2020, 08:14:58 pm »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #132 on: July 5, 2020, 12:29:19 pm »
the giant pyramid of Giza is another thing. It is perhaps well documented that builders used giant sleds to haul rocks but the preparation and construction times are phenomenal.

"If something's hard to do, it's not worth doing".

A well known attitude amongst rulers in an era with divinely-mandated absolute power and large slave classes to be worked to death.

Its a great mystery why they really exist (giant sundials and calendars?)

Is it though? Sometimes societies want or need a large building (maybe a king wants the most impressive tomb ever, maybe a huge temple needs to be built to show neighbouring powers your gods are stronger etc). Before more advanced construction and engineering was available, the 'mound of stone' was the best way to ensure your massive structure would be stable (because a huge temple collapsing 2 months after being built might be interpreted as an ill omen).

Plus the Goa'uld needed them to land their ships on.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: July 7, 2020, 09:39:54 am »
Well that was a frank, sterile and decently researched response Alan! Though you cant explain away pyramids in a few lines to be fair, the pile of rocks anyone can do, the giant pyramid of Giza is another thing. It is perhaps well documented that builders used giant sleds to haul rocks but the preparation and construction times are phenomenal. British museums do not hold the all answers that archaeologists are still trying unravel, great points of reference though. Its a great mystery why they really exist (giant sundials and calendars?) An impressive feat for its time, probably better than anything comparable using modern tech in modern times.  I do like the upside pyramid though, has some style.

It's really not a mystery. The development of Egyptian tombs is well-documented from simple burials, through more complex constructions until they peaked in the 4th Dynasty.

The Great Pyramid was probably designed by Hemiunu, who was Khufu's vizier and was built over a period of twenty years. It uses skilled craftsmanship for the time - masonry was a highly prized skill right up until the recent past and the legacy of it's importance is recognised by the Freemasons today.

It's not a sundial or a calendar. Like many primitive buildings it aligns with things that are visible from Earth without the use of complex instruments or knowledge of the wider Universe. Aligning something with the rising sun can be done with a stick and a bit of string. Same with the Dog Star or other bright objects in the sky.

And why on earth would an alien civilisation travel across lightyears of intergalatic space in order to build a primitive sundial, albeit a very large one? Wouldn't there be more useful things they could have left us? A few enigmatic images that might be helicopters or planes is not really very useful is it?

« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 09:41:45 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #134 on: July 7, 2020, 05:11:09 pm »
And why on earth would an alien civilisation travel across lightyears of intergalatic space in order to build a primitive sundial, albeit a very large one? Wouldn't there be more useful things they could have left us? A few enigmatic images that might be helicopters or planes is not really very useful is it?

Just like when they leave all their lights on when appearing in videos when caught on camera - you'd think they'd have invented an off switch in the saucer for that wouldn't you.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #135 on: July 7, 2020, 07:46:23 pm »
It's really not a mystery. The development of Egyptian tombs is well-documented from simple burials, through more complex constructions until they peaked in the 4th Dynasty.

The Great Pyramid was probably designed by Hemiunu, who was Khufu's vizier and was built over a period of twenty years. It uses skilled craftsmanship for the time - masonry was a highly prized skill right up until the recent past and the legacy of it's importance is recognised by the Freemasons today.

It's not a sundial or a calendar. Like many primitive buildings it aligns with things that are visible from Earth without the use of complex instruments or knowledge of the wider Universe. Aligning something with the rising sun can be done with a stick and a bit of string. Same with the Dog Star or other bright objects in the sky.

I've been in the Grand Pyramid at Giza - years ago.

The interesting thing about it is how fucking creepy it was. I kept seeing weird looking shadows that seemed bigger than the room to be moving about, I'm not normally creeped out by stuff, but the hairs on my arms were standing on end and I now know what the feeling of 'someone walking over your grave' feels like.

Fucking weird.

Not sure if you've ever done it yourself, but massively affecting.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2020, 08:42:43 am »

Alan being frank and sterile again!

I was being charitable and assumed the comment meant pyramid shaped structures in general across the world rather than the obvious tombs of the Egyptians.

So what's the deal with Stonehenge? The dad of a girl I used to date was adamant that there really was just nothing else for people to do at the time.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2020, 08:50:13 am »

I was being charitable and assumed the comment meant pyramid shaped structures in general across the world rather than the obvious tombs of the Egyptians.

So what's the deal with Stonehenge? The dad of a girl I used to date was adamant that there really was just nothing else for people to do at the time.

You mean....nothing else for aliens and reptile men to do at the time. Right?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2020, 09:06:55 am »

You're right that pyramid-shaped structures appear across the world in pre-technological civilizations because it's the only way of building high without steel or concrete.

Stonehenge is a larger version of the thoudands of standing stone monuments across Europe. This is a map just showing the megalithic (literally 'huge stone') monuments in Briain and Ireland.

https://www.megalithic.co.uk/asb_mapsquare.php

There are loads in Brittany as well including Carnac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnac_stones

We will never know why they were built for certain but what's fairly clear is that they are technologically crude and the alignments are based on simple observations made from the ground.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2020, 10:29:32 am »
You mean....nothing else for aliens and reptile men to do at the time. Right?

I'm just quoting his hypothesis, I don't recall his position on those but he was a bit of a space cadet so maybe...

Personally I subscribe to the SMBC position:

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2020, 08:47:10 am »
I'm just quoting his hypothesis, I don't recall his position on those but he was a bit of a space cadet so maybe...

Personally I subscribe to the SMBC position:

Very good...

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)