Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 145596 times)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
Re: SLR Camera's
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2007, 08:55:49 pm »
In the market for a SLR......must remember to scout this thread

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2007, 06:30:39 pm »
Got a Nikon D40 for Chrimbo. It's brilliant. So much better than a compact camera. It takes beautiful pictures, is really easy to use, reacts instantly (turns on in a fraction of a second, the flash recharges in under 2 seconds, and the shutter responds instantly, not like bloody digital compact cameras), and is pretty light as well (if bulky compared to a compact). The battery lasts forever, too.

They're going for a song at the moment. Paid 269 in Jessops including the 18-55 kit zoom.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2007, 06:43:09 pm »
Got a Nikon D40 for Chrimbo. It's brilliant. So much better than a compact camera. It takes beautiful pictures, is really easy to use, reacts instantly (turns on in a fraction of a second, the flash recharges in under 2 seconds, and the shutter responds instantly, not like bloody digital compact cameras), and is pretty light as well (if bulky compared to a compact). The battery lasts forever, too.

They're going for a song at the moment. Paid 269 in Jessops including the 18-55 kit zoom.

Says 299 on the website
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 06:49:15 pm by bradigor »

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2007, 07:46:09 pm »
Says 299 on the website
There was a voucher to get 30 quid back from Nikon included in the 299, but that offer may have already expired.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2007, 08:16:23 pm »
There was a voucher to get 30 quid back from Nikon included in the 299, but that offer may have already expired.

Ended in September-ish, was a 40th Birthday thing.

I've had a look at a D40, looks alright, it's the size of the 'baby' Nikon SLRs and is a lot lighter than my D70, but I found it SO annoying to use cos the shutter/aperture settings are done through the display and not a little LCD screen, I'm not sure if you can change them through the viewfinder but there's only one command dial so you'd have to hold another button to change the aperture anyway. Seemed to overcomplicate things for me.

If anyone's after one, I'd recommend keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand D70(s).

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2007, 09:24:14 pm »

Cost? ballpark

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:39 pm »
Cost? ballpark

bout £350-400 with a lens.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2007, 10:12:58 pm »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2007, 10:25:45 pm »
i love the D70 - great camera and much more intuitive to use than the 40
Yep.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2007, 11:16:10 pm »
Ended in September-ish, was a 40th Birthday thing.
I got mine last week. The expiry date on the voucher was the 8th of Jan, I think.

I've had a look at a D40, looks alright, it's the size of the 'baby' Nikon SLRs and is a lot lighter than my D70, but I found it SO annoying to use cos the shutter/aperture settings are done through the display and not a little LCD screen, I'm not sure if you can change them through the viewfinder but there's only one command dial so you'd have to hold another button to change the aperture anyway. Seemed to overcomplicate things for me.

The last SLR I had was an all-manual Praktika, so I never had the LCD to miss. My only point of reference is compact digital cameras and a couple of those bridge/superzoom thingies I've played with.

You can change aperture, shutter, exposure in the viewfinder (and other stuff I don't really understand), but, yes, you do have to hold down a button next to the shutter release to toggle aperture. How does the D70 do it?

I don't understand most of the stops on the selection dial on the top, either.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2007, 07:14:32 pm »
So go on, as I cant be bothered to read the whole thread, are there any main differences between cannon and nikon? I'm easy and could swing either way, although I may be leaning towards cannon just now. What about olympus?

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2007, 07:24:33 pm »
So go on, as I cant be bothered to read the whole thread, are there any main differences between cannon and nikon? I'm easy and could swing either way, although I may be leaning towards cannon just now. What about olympus?

to be honest you will be pleased with any , i went with canon and glad i did , my new canon 85mm f1.8 lens come today not had chance to use it yet though

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #172 on: January 1, 2008, 01:52:17 pm »
Depends how much you want to spend.  Being a Canon man myself, I'm biased.  But one of the reasons I went Canon years ago, was value for money.  Pound for pound featurewise Canon have won their battles with Nikon.  Having said that, Canons at the bottom end have been described as feeling plasticky; never found it so, personally.

There's also the issue of lenses.  Canon have the USM system with the motors built into the lenses - better for batteries and focus quicker.  They are on their 3rd lens system with the EF lenses from the 2nd system being compatible withthe new digital SLRs.  Nikon are supposed to be on their 11th system. 

If you want to buy very good lenses and plan to keep them while only ever changing bodies, you could be f*****d if Nikon decide to introduce yet another lens system.

Like I said, I'm biased.  I'm on my 3rd Canon SLR, having got a 40D to replace my 2 Canon film SLRs.  Plus I bought a Canon Ixus 950IS in the summer.  Never regretted it or thought "if only...".

As for the other brands, Olympus appear to have screwed up with their decision to go with a non-standard sensor size which is smaller than normal.

Pentax seem to be a dying breed.  Probably end up doing a Konica Minolta and give up.  BTW, That's how Sony are in the DSLR market.  Minolta sold their camra division to Sony.

Oh, and apparently, you have to grow a big beard if you buy a Nikon.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2008, 01:55:27 pm by MolbysBigBelly »
"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #173 on: January 1, 2008, 02:36:48 pm »
Depends how much you want to spend.  Being a Canon man myself, I'm biased.  But one of the reasons I went Canon years ago, was value for money.  Pound for pound featurewise Canon have won their battles with Nikon.  Having said that, Canons at the bottom end have been described as feeling plasticky; never found it so, personally.

There's also the issue of lenses.  Canon have the USM system with the motors built into the lenses - better for batteries and focus quicker.  They are on their 3rd lens system with the EF lenses from the 2nd system being compatible withthe new digital SLRs.  Nikon are supposed to be on their 11th system. 

If you want to buy very good lenses and plan to keep them while only ever changing bodies, you could be f*****d if Nikon decide to introduce yet another lens system.

Like I said, I'm biased.  I'm on my 3rd Canon SLR, having got a 40D to replace my 2 Canon film SLRs.  Plus I bought a Canon Ixus 950IS in the summer.  Never regretted it or thought "if only...".

As for the other brands, Olympus appear to have screwed up with their decision to go with a non-standard sensor size which is smaller than normal.

Pentax seem to be a dying breed.  Probably end up doing a Konica Minolta and give up.  BTW, That's how Sony are in the DSLR market.  Minolta sold their camra division to Sony.

Oh, and apparently, you have to grow a big beard if you buy a Nikon.

cheers for that. I have a fujifilm s6500 at the moment (half SLR and half point and shoot) which has been really good for teaching myself the basics, but as my ambition grows I'll probably need to replace it with a bottom end SLR in the next year or so. My friend has a 350D, which seems ideal really but I didn't want to just restrict myself to looking at cannon without finding out about the other brands.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #174 on: January 1, 2008, 04:46:43 pm »
Is it my fault you are buying a new camera Matt?

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #175 on: January 2, 2008, 11:07:29 am »
Is it my fault you are buying a new camera Matt?

nah, been thinking about it for afew weeks, wouldn't be looking to get one for at least 6 months anyway, only had my fujifilm since june! Just thought I'd start doing my research now!

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 2, 2008, 11:15:11 am »

I looked at a few and after asking around it came down between the Canon EOS 400D and the Nikon D40X, and in the end went with the Canon. Reason being a few people said I would out grow the Nikon.

Love the camera and messing around with the functions but still need to get into a course to really make full use of it

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 2, 2008, 11:16:38 am »
I think I'm going to pick up a D3 soon, not decided 100% on the D3 yet, might pick up a 1ds2 on the cheap.

* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 2, 2008, 12:00:04 pm »
there's no real difference between Nikon and Canon unless you are going to be a professional for the rest of your life, You will love which one you choose and that's you in their camp.
I took a Nikon and still shave and love it. That said, both are very good cameras and either way you'll be fine.
Yep.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 2, 2008, 02:22:22 pm »
Are you talking to me [hinesy]? Or someone else?

EDIT: Probably sat1 above me :wave
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 3, 2008, 08:09:48 am »
there's no real difference between Nikon and Canon unless you are going to be a professional for the rest of your life, You will love which one you choose and that's you in their camp.
I took a Nikon and still shave and love it. That said, both are very good cameras and either way you'll be fine.
The fact that the D40(X) has no built-in AF motor really limits your choices of lenses if you're not into manual focus. That's my only bugbear, not that I intend to buy that many.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2008, 09:01:03 am »
The new Canon 450D coming to town.

Looks good.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2008, 09:36:58 am »
Canon are doing yet another promotion.

When I bought my 40D with 17-85 IS lens in November, I got a £70 cashback.

The prices have dropped a bit, and with the cashback, they've doubled the amounts, so buying the same kit would now get a £140 cashback.

Sat, looking at the forums and what a lot of people are saying, it appears, that the 450D is just a case of Canon joining in the megapixel race.

While no doubt a very good camera, it's a close call between the 400D and 450D when you take price into consideration.  More pixels on the same size sensor (in this case 12mp) doesn't necessarily give you better images.
"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2008, 10:15:38 am »

Looks good.

looks nice. Rather pricey for 'entry level' though.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2008, 05:36:03 pm »

Looks good.

Has anyone purchased one of these, or know what they are like?
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2008, 07:06:04 pm »
got given a 350D for £20. Cracking deal! Absolutely love it. Got a cheap sigma 300mm lens with it too which will come in handy.

Has anyone purchased one of these, or know what they are like?

can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2008, 09:19:59 pm »
got given a 350D for £20. Cracking deal! Absolutely love it. Got a cheap sigma 300mm lens with it too which will come in handy.

You jammy sod! Why can't good things like this happen to me?

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2008, 09:37:35 pm »

jammy indeed! Its not WHAT you know.... :)
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2008, 09:55:52 pm »
You think thats good. The guy that gave it to me got a 5D for free!

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:18 pm »

can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

Got an old one you want to sell?

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2008, 10:31:01 pm »
Got any lens you wanna sell too? ;D
Yep.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2008, 10:31:15 pm »
Got an old one you want to sell?

unfortunately not. Rhians taken my old fujifilm thing!

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2008, 10:31:35 pm »
unfortunately not. Rhians taken my old fujifilm thing!

The bitch :P

Offline youtookmyname

• Kopite
  • Kong my whopper!
    • Footy Fashion n stuff
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2008, 11:48:29 pm »
Looking at the 450D ? Forget about it.

Get the 400d+ cashback and spend the savings on lenses. The 18-55 lens you get with the 450D kit (and the 400D for that matter although the 450D has IS) is a crap lens with a poor range on it.

For the money you save buying a 400D you could get a 50mm f1.8 and a 55-250 IS.

That's my 2 pence worth as it is exactly what I did when in the same boat. The only real feature I want on the 400d that the 450d has is spot metering but I would rather have the lenses instead...

Offline igor23

• Boys Pen
« Reply #195 on: May 12, 2008, 01:44:05 pm »
I agree that the 18-55 is crap, L-series lenses are just superb, but expensive, personally have a 5D, and no, I had to pay for it, best place I've found is Digital Rev, on Ebay, cheap, fast delivery, and in some cases will pay any import fees, loved the comment about having to grow a beard if you buy a Nikon :D

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2008, 11:49:38 am »
I agree that the 18-55 is crap, L-series lenses are just superb, but expensive, personally have a 5D, and no, I had to pay for it, best place I've found is Digital Rev, on Ebay, cheap, fast delivery, and in some cases will pay any import fees, loved the comment about having to grow a beard if you buy a Nikon :D

wouldn't say it's crap. It's the basic canon lens and serves me fine at the moment. Its more relative to what you actually need. If your just starting out as an amateur photographer then it's more than adequate. Although if you are going to spend all that money on the 450D then maybe investing in a better lens is not going to bother you!

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2008, 03:27:32 pm »
i do wedding photography and use a40d and a20d both cameras are superb i use 50mm 1.4 canon lens and a17-85 both excellent lenses i bought the 40d and a 17-85 for£869.00 and got £140 cash back but the cashback offer ends in june sometime the 40d is an excellent camera and will give you fantastic results worth paying that bit extra you can have the best camera in the world but if you have a cheep lens on it there is no point go test drive it at jessops

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2008, 06:11:55 pm »
i do wedding photography and use a40d and a20d both cameras are superb i use 50mm 1.4 canon lens and a17-85 both excellent lenses i bought the 40d and a 17-85 for£869.00 and got £140 cash back but the cashback offer ends in june sometime the 40d is an excellent camera and will give you fantastic results worth paying that bit extra you can have the best camera in the world but if you have a cheep lens on it there is no point go test drive it at jessops

You do wedding photography?

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2008, 07:16:40 pm »
You do wedding photography?

Me step dad posted that.