Author Topic: The history of Liverpool FC in pictures  (Read 693359 times)

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
Re: The history of Liverpool FC in pictures
« Reply #600 on: July 25, 2004, 03:24:31 pm »

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: July 25, 2004, 03:28:55 pm »

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #602 on: July 26, 2004, 09:03:18 pm »
Shanks in the Leeds dressing room, congratulating them on their Championship win at Anfield in 1969.

Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #603 on: July 26, 2004, 09:15:07 pm »

Back row left to right: Peter Thompson, Alec Lindsay, Ray Clemmence, Tommy Lawrence, Chris Lawler, Ian Ross
Middle row: Alun Evans, John McLaughlin, Larry Loyd, John Toshack, Steve Heighway, Phil Boersma, Brian Hall
Front row: Bobby Graham, Emlyn Hughes, Ron Yeats, Mr. W. Shankly (manager), Tommy Smith, Ian Callaghan, R.Paisley (Trainer).
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #604 on: July 26, 2004, 09:22:34 pm »

Shankly 'boxing' at Preston North End
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #605 on: July 26, 2004, 09:24:27 pm »

Playing in the 'Dads n Lads' game at Huddersfield
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #606 on: July 26, 2004, 09:27:09 pm »

Always a man of the people.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #607 on: July 26, 2004, 09:29:03 pm »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #608 on: July 26, 2004, 09:59:01 pm »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #609 on: July 26, 2004, 09:59:42 pm »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #610 on: July 26, 2004, 10:26:28 pm »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #611 on: July 27, 2004, 06:18:20 pm »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #612 on: August 1, 2004, 12:52:42 pm »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #613 on: August 1, 2004, 12:56:11 pm »

Justice for the 96.

Offline Dickie Sam Cratchet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • A boy from the Mersey
« Reply #614 on: August 3, 2004, 09:38:26 am »

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: August 6, 2004, 03:07:31 pm »

"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: August 6, 2004, 03:09:31 pm »
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: August 8, 2004, 12:25:55 pm »

Looks like we are going to loose another favorite son, thanks for the memories Danny.SSP
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • A boy from the Mersey
« Reply #618 on: August 18, 2004, 09:01:39 am »

Offline kemlyn1974

• Anny Roader
  • ALWAYS A RED ALWAYS AN ANTI-RACIST
« Reply #619 on: August 18, 2004, 11:02:13 am »

Back row left to right: Peter Thompson, Alec Lindsay, Ray Clemmence, Tommy Lawrence, Chris Lawler, Ian Ross
Middle row: Alun Evans, John McLaughlin, Larry Loyd, John Toshack, Steve Heighway, Phil Boersma, Brian Hall
Front row: Bobby Graham, Emlyn Hughes, Ron Yeats, Mr. W. Shankly (manager), Tommy Smith, Ian Callaghan, R.Paisley (Trainer).

What a magic thread. No time now but I'll be back. Many many thanks all for some class pics. Unbelievable. The line up above pulls every heart string going. Big bamber,the flying pig,crazy horse and some of my all time fav players
( Peter Thompson, Lawler) I first started actively attending in 1969. First game I can remember - at home to,I think, Bayern(confirm anyone?) 69/70. A star performance by one Alun Evans. I thought he was the bees as a kid. When a did a bob a job for the old fella he signed me sheet " Alun Evans". Four years later he bought me a season ticket for the Kemlyn Road stand ( hence the name) after working a years saturday extra shifts in the shipyard to pay for it.
Those were the days my friends...
Apologies for rampant nostalgia. Any chance of an action pic of Alun? :wave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • A boy from the Mersey
« Reply #620 on: August 18, 2004, 11:11:47 am »

Bill Shankly paid the then enormous sum of £110,000 to bring the precocious talents of 18 year old Alun Evans to Liverpool from Wolverhampton in September 1968. His start could hardly have been more sensational with a goal 10 minutes into his debut at home to Leicester and then 2 more the following week as he returned to Molineux and helped destroy his former club 6-0 ! 

He played in every League game from his debut in September until the end of the season, contributing 7 goals to a team which still contained many of the men who had won the League, Cup & League again in successive seasons earlier in the decade. 

At the time he seemed the ideal candidate to be groomed as Roger Hunt's successor but he failed to make the same impact the following season, making only 17 League starts and scoring only 3 times in those games. Most of those appearances came after Hunt had departed for Bolton and the expectation and responsibility seemed to weigh heavily on his young shoulders.

He did make a bright start to the 1970-71 season with 7 goals in the first 10 games but after that things started to go wrong. Badly scarred by broken glass in a night-club incident back in Wolverhampton, he was also badly injured during a UEFA cup tie in Bucharest and consequently lost his place to the emerging Steve Heighway although he later won it back (at John McLaughlin's expense) and played in 8 of the last 10 League fixtures as well as in the 1971 F.A. Cup Final against Arsenal.

Alun only played another 6 matches for the club, his last ironically enough against his first club Wolverhampton at Molineux towards the end of  January 1972. Soon afterwards he was transferred to Wolves' Midlands rival Aston Villa. He later played for Walsall briefly before travelling to Australia and making a fresh start with South Melbourne. 

Alun might be described as one of those "could have been" players. He had so much potential as a teenager but never matured the way he had been expected to.  There should have been many more memorable performances like the marvellous hat-trick with which he destroyed Bayern Munich at Anfield in March 1971 but sadly they never came to be. Alun scored 21 League goals for Liverpool, with a further 12 coming in cup competitions.

Offline kemlyn1974

• Anny Roader
« Reply #621 on: August 18, 2004, 11:26:35 am »

Bill Shankly paid the then enormous sum of £110,000 to bring the precocious talents of 18 year old Alun Evans to Liverpool from Wolverhampton in September 1968. His start could hardly have been more sensational with a goal 10 minutes into his debut at home to Leicester and then 2 more the following week as he returned to Molineux and helped destroy his former club 6-0 ! 

He played in every League game from his debut in September until the end of the season, contributing 7 goals to a team which still contained many of the men who had won the League, Cup & League again in successive seasons earlier in the decade. 

At the time he seemed the ideal candidate to be groomed as Roger Hunt's successor but he failed to make the same impact the following season, making only 17 League starts and scoring only 3 times in those games. Most of those appearances came after Hunt had departed for Bolton and the expectation and responsibility seemed to weigh heavily on his young shoulders.

He did make a bright start to the 1970-71 season with 7 goals in the first 10 games but after that things started to go wrong. Badly scarred by broken glass in a night-club incident back in Wolverhampton, he was also badly injured during a UEFA cup tie in Bucharest and consequently lost his place to the emerging Steve Heighway although he later won it back (at John McLaughlin's expense) and played in 8 of the last 10 League fixtures as well as in the 1971 F.A. Cup Final against Arsenal.

Alun only played another 6 matches for the club, his last ironically enough against his first club Wolverhampton at Molineux towards the end of  January 1972. Soon afterwards he was transferred to Wolves' Midlands rival Aston Villa. He later played for Walsall briefly before travelling to Australia and making a fresh start with South Melbourne. 

Alun might be described as one of those "could have been" players. He had so much potential as a teenager but never matured the way he had been expected to.  There should have been many more memorable performances like the marvellous hat-trick with which he destroyed Bayern Munich at Anfield in March 1971 but sadly they never came to be. Alun scored 21 League goals for Liverpool, with a further 12 coming in cup competitions.

Yosser, you've made my day. Many thanks mate. Top picture of Alun (he did have class). March 1971? thought it was earlier. Thought it was a hat trick but didn't want to make a fool of meself. Was in the Annie Road end with my dad. Never forget it as long as I live. Thanks again  - off for a quiet weep. :'(

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • A boy from the Mersey
« Reply #622 on: August 18, 2004, 11:31:21 am »
Afore ye go, another legend from days gone bye. Possibly one of the best headers of a ball I have ever seen.

Tony Hateley

Centre-forward Tony was a 'high-profile' signing during the Summer of 1967, arriving from Chelsea for a fee of slightly under £100,000 which was an enormous sum for the time. Hateley had already scored over 150 League goals for Notts. County, Aston Villa & Chelsea when he arrived at Anfield as a 26-year-old and looked to still have the best years of his career ahead of him. He scored a hat-trick in only his 3rd League match for the Reds and missed only 4 First Division fixtures during his debut season, netting 16 times in all. He added another 7 goals as Liverpool reached the F.A. cup quarter-final stage, including four in one game as Walsall were thrashed 5-2 in a 4th round replay on Merseyside.
Tony never managed to repeat the success of that first season and his career at Anfield was to be only a brief one. He was substituted at Leeds on the last day of October 1968 and was never to pull on the famous red shirt again. Shankly bought Alun Evans almost immediately and the youngster from the West Midlands took over the No. 9 shirt for the rest of the 1968-69 season. Hateley was soon sold to Coventry City and after a spell with Birmingham City he moved back to his first club in Nottingham. Tony finished his playing career with Oldham Athletic.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 11:33:30 am by Yosser »

Offline kemlyn1974

• Anny Roader
« Reply #623 on: August 19, 2004, 10:24:31 am »
Afore ye go, another legend from days gone bye. Possibly one of the best headers of a ball I have ever seen.

Tony Hateley

Centre-forward Tony was a 'high-profile' signing during the Summer of 1967, arriving from Chelsea for a fee of slightly under £100,000 which was an enormous sum for the time. Hateley had already scored over 150 League goals for Notts. County, Aston Villa & Chelsea when he arrived at Anfield as a 26-year-old and looked to still have the best years of his career ahead of him. He scored a hat-trick in only his 3rd League match for the Reds and missed only 4 First Division fixtures during his debut season, netting 16 times in all. He added another 7 goals as Liverpool reached the F.A. cup quarter-final stage, including four in one game as Walsall were thrashed 5-2 in a 4th round replay on Merseyside.
Tony never managed to repeat the success of that first season and his career at Anfield was to be only a brief one. He was substituted at Leeds on the last day of October 1968 and was never to pull on the famous red shirt again. Shankly bought Alun Evans almost immediately and the youngster from the West Midlands took over the No. 9 shirt for the rest of the 1968-69 season. Hateley was soon sold to Coventry City and after a spell with Birmingham City he moved back to his first club in Nottingham. Tony finished his playing career with Oldham Athletic.

My Evertonian mates ( they were all Blues) used to sing "Tony Hately - not worth a ha'penny" Wonder what the equivalent would be now?
Thanks again Yosser.
Hope this thread stays alive :wave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • A boy from the Mersey
« Reply #624 on: August 19, 2004, 11:24:43 am »
My Evertonian mates ( they were all Blues) used to sing "Tony Hately - not worth a ha'penny" Wonder what the equivalent would be now?

We used to sing back "Tony Hately - not worth a ha'penny - just worth a million pounds" that tended to shut them up. ;)

Offline kemlyn1974

• Anny Roader
« Reply #625 on: August 19, 2004, 12:56:32 pm »

We used to sing back "Tony Hately - not worth a ha'penny - just worth a million pounds" that tended to shut them up. ;)

Maybe they were bamboozled by the fact it doesn't scan.
Probably been done before but I guess there is an opporunity for another thread re: schooldays football chants etc? :wave

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: September 9, 2004, 09:24:46 am »
Rambo celebrates.
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: September 9, 2004, 09:30:58 am »
From a legend of the past to one of the future.

Offline tommy-

• Kopite
  • Take me drunk, i'm home!
« Reply #628 on: September 9, 2004, 01:06:16 pm »
Anyone got that pic where owens on the floor with his hands on his head just, just missed a chance and you can see the crowds face all gutted in the background?

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #629 on: September 9, 2004, 02:56:25 pm »
You mean this one ?

www.lfchistory.net - Results & Lineups for every official liverpool match (4900+) and player profiles for every player that have played a official match for Liverpool FC (600+).

Offline tommy-

• Kopite
  • Take me drunk, i'm home!
« Reply #630 on: September 9, 2004, 06:30:10 pm »
classic cheers ;)

There is a bigger one about though isnt there?

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #631 on: September 9, 2004, 06:43:43 pm »
Rambo celebrates.

any idea what game that was from? my first ever game was in 1990 at home to coventry, think we drew 1-1, an i think Molby scored... no chance thats it is there???
Momo Is Boss

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: September 9, 2004, 06:53:23 pm »

any idea what game that was from? my first ever game was in 1990 at home to coventry, think we drew 1-1, an i think Molby scored... no chance thats it is there???

Boxing Day 1989, 2-1 win at home over Sheffield Wednesday.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #633 on: September 9, 2004, 08:07:24 pm »
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #634 on: September 9, 2004, 08:09:02 pm »
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: September 10, 2004, 09:56:03 am »

King Kenny - boy could he play.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: September 19, 2004, 10:34:09 am »

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #637 on: September 19, 2004, 01:23:37 pm »
Cracking photos!!!  :D
I enjoyed seeing them all.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #638 on: September 20, 2004, 12:05:42 am »
working on this Wallpaper - not finished yet as you can see, and I need a pic of Nunez in the red shirt

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #639 on: September 20, 2004, 12:13:04 am »
another one I'm working on  :-\