Author Topic: EFL draw - League Cup  (Read 9934 times)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Re: EFL draw - League Cup
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2020, 04:22:16 pm »
They actually have to win a trophy first though. ;)

Oh yeah, scrap that then ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2020, 04:23:54 pm »
Teams barely want to play in the Europa, never mind a competition below it. Would rather finish 8th and not bother with all the extra fixtures than 7th and have to play in it.

Can see some of them finishing seventh and then remembering that a top 6 team won the league cup back in February and being like FFS!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2020, 04:32:07 pm »
Can see some of them finishing seventh and then remembering that a top 6 team won the league cup back in February and being like FFS!

Just been doing a little research on it now and to be fair it does seem like a good idea to get more nations properly involved in Europe and taking some of the bulk out of the Europa but I can't see any English team taking it seriously or being thrilled to be in it unless a lower team somehow flukes the league cup.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2020, 04:53:06 pm »
Just been doing a little research on it now and to be fair it does seem like a good idea to get more nations properly involved in Europe and taking some of the bulk out of the Europa but I can't see any English team taking it seriously or being thrilled to be in it unless a lower team somehow flukes the league cup.

I think it's a good chance of a European trophy for clubs which will have a Cup Winners Cup vibe to it. What they should do is give the winners a CL place.

Europa League is very difficult to win if you're a non-top 6 Premier League club. You can play loads of games and rounds just to get to the last 16 or quarter final and then draw Arsenal or Man United over two legs or someone like Sevilla or Dortmund, Inter Milan or Atletico who've dropped out the CL group.

Take Leicester this season. I doubt they've got much chance of winning the Europa League, but if it was this other tournament they'd be quite fancied.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2020, 05:36:09 pm »

I'm guessing it's similar to the Inter Toto Cup they had for a while.

Everton applied to enter it too :lmao

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/3203955/everton-apply-for-intertoto-cup
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 05:38:37 pm by Wabaloolah »
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2020, 06:08:40 pm »
Teams barely want to play in the Europa, never mind a competition below it. Would rather finish 8th and not bother with all the extra fixtures than 7th and have to play in it.

Being from Wales though I can see how it might benefit poorer leagues who never get through the qualifiers.

Don’t think thats true though, a few smaller teams who get into it may not exacly be sad to go out early, as they know they won’t cope in the league with the extra fixtures. But players want to play in the Europa, it’s a great competition, only the national leagues and CL are better and bigger prizes, it’s bravado from some fans to say they don’t want to be in it.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:24 pm »
Don’t think thats true though, a few smaller teams who get into it may not exacly be sad to go out early, as they know they won’t cope in the league with the extra fixtures. But players want to play in the Europa, it’s a great competition, only the national leagues and CL are better and bigger prizes, it’s bravado from some fans to say they don’t want to be in it.
Absolutely right. Of course we'd rather contest the CL every season, but if that were not to be possible then I'd love to be in the Europa and win it. Have we forgotten the excitement that 2016 brought to The Liverpool Country?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:39 pm »

well tbf, City won it last year...
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2020, 10:18:25 pm »
Is on SKY Sports, Thursday 24th September, 1945 KO.

We have Chelsea away on the Sunday before & Arsenal at home on the Monday after.

Will no doubt be a mix & match team, mostly youngsters & squad players who need some match time.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2020, 10:20:32 pm »
Fourth round is potentially the week after too, so possibly two Thursday’s on the spin.
AHA!

Online keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2020, 10:50:15 pm »
Fourth round is potentially the week after too, so possibly two Thursday’s on the spin.
So if we get through to Round 4, Villa away will either be Sunday or Monday?
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline VVM

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2020, 11:04:51 pm »

Yeah don't get me wrong, as a fan I'd rather be in it over not being in Europe at all but some of the teams treat it as more of an inconvenience, like Burnley a couple of years ago seemed almost pleased to lose their qualifier.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2020, 12:41:34 am »
The problem we have in this country is that the money earned by playing in the prem dwarfs that of other competitions (bar the CL) to such an extent that it just isn't worth being in it unless you have a squad equipped to deal with it. Throw in a bit of good ol English xenophobia and you can see why clubs look down on the Europa.

Not sure whether the new competition will attract many from the prem - most clubs outside the top 6 don't give a fuck about winning trophies as evidenced by
the FA & league cups.

Glad our game is on a Thursday, breaks up the week nicely and a good game for us to start with. If we have less than 11 changes from Sunday I'd be amazed.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2020, 03:11:24 am »
4-0 to Lincoln. So we travel to Lincoln next Thursday.
I am made up with that as I'm a born & bred lincolnshire yellow belly(dont ask what that means because nobody in lincoln really knows) Absolutely gutted I cant attend that.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2020, 03:21:02 am »
Not played Lincoln since Feb 1961
Wasnt born till 71 & have waited nearly 4 decades for this tie(lincoln born & bred) & now its happening I cant get to see it in the flesh. Fuck the pandemic.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2020, 09:51:23 am »
Wasnt born till 71 & have waited nearly 4 decades for this tie(lincoln born & bred) & now its happening I cant get to see it in the flesh. Fuck the pandemic.
You can go and see the bus, and the players getting off it with our manager. In your shoes I'd want to do that anyway.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2020, 02:31:26 pm »
What's going on with the TV picks for this round? West Brom at home to Harrogate, Everton at home to Salford (both as expected very routine home wins for West Brom and Everton reserves), Brighton at home to Portsmouth tonight.

I know the big teams aren't in it yet, but they could have picked at least one game someone other than fans of those teams might want to watch.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2020, 02:57:28 pm »
The problem we have in this country is that the money earned by playing in the prem dwarfs that of other competitions (bar the CL) to such an extent that it just isn't worth being in it unless you have a squad equipped to deal with it. Throw in a bit of good ol English xenophobia and you can see why clubs look down on the Europa.

Not sure whether the new competition will attract many from the prem - most clubs outside the top 6 don't give a fuck about winning trophies as evidenced by
the FA & league cups.

Glad our game is on a Thursday, breaks up the week nicely and a good game for us to start with. If we have less than 11 changes from Sunday I'd be amazed.

Yeah I think you've summed it up perfectly. It's all about money which I suppose you can't really argue with.

There is little incentive to try in the domestic cups anymore and it seems that whoever does win it wasn't really that fussed in the first place. If you offered a mid table team 11th place and an FA cup or 10th place and no cup then they'd probably take 10th. The fans of course would want the cup but the club themselves aren't arsed.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2020, 03:00:09 pm »

It makes a big difference psychologically for how you approach it, to go into a tournament believing you can win it. That's why so many teams put out weakened sides in the domestic cups because they don't believe they can win it anyway until at least the later rounds, in order to concentrate on the league. It's the same with the Europa League. Burnley finished 7th the other year and couldn't even reach the group stages of the Europa, they wouldn't have had a cat in hells chance of winning it. They'd have a decent chance if it was this one.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2020, 03:04:09 pm »
Yeah I think you've summed it up perfectly. It's all about money which I suppose you can't really argue with.

There is little incentive to try in the domestic cups anymore and it seems that whoever does win it wasn't really that fussed in the first place. If you offered a mid table team 11th place and an FA cup or 10th place and no cup then they'd probably take 10th. The fans of course would want the cup but the club themselves aren't arsed.

It's not as bad as that, a lot of it is clubs don't believe they can win these competitions, therefore don't even try. Look at Watford, they limped along to the FA Cup final and then got absolutely battered, as ever, by Man City and they never recovered from it last season.

On the other hand though Wigan did win the cup and got relegated and given the choice, clubs would take 17th and a defeat to Accrington Stanley in the 3rd round over that eventuality because of the finances (look at Wigan now). But even the year Wigan won it they were putting the reserves out through to the semis. Even in the quarter final they left half the team out against Everton.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2020, 04:21:03 pm »
Is any of this true though? I mean true as in backed up by evidence? I know it's the common belief that no-one cares for domestic cups anymore, or even the Europa League/UEFA Cup, but has it actually been investigated? Or are people taking a few high-profile instances of weakened teams etc (which is itself a partly subjective assessment, in any case) and drawing erroneous generalisations?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2020, 05:43:56 pm »
You can go and see the bus, and the players getting off it with our manager. In your shoes I'd want to do that anyway.
Depends on the restrictions as lincoln has a rise in virus cases at the moment but I would be happy just to go in with my mask & see Jurgen & the lads & take pics.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2020, 08:08:09 pm »
Fourth round draw later tonight. Haven't even played third round yet.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2020, 09:22:16 pm »
Fourth round draw later tonight. Haven't even played third round yet.

Another really good chance at a trophy this, a couple of decent prem sides already out. Hoping for a nice draw but we'll have to do Lincoln first.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2020, 09:33:23 pm »
Wolves have lost at home to Stoke, one potentially tricky opponent out of the way.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:24:10 pm by Gods_Left_Boot »
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2020, 10:04:28 pm »
Fourth round draw coming up on Sky now.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2020, 10:07:33 pm »
Leicester or Arsenal at home, potentially.
AHA!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2020, 10:07:58 pm »
First out. Home to Leicester or Arsenal if we get past Lincoln.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2020, 10:12:06 pm »
Lee Hendrie thinks the Premier League clubs will be the ones to have a good run in the competition.

Hark at Mystic Meg.
AHA!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2020, 10:13:42 pm »
Lee Hendrie thinks the Premier League clubs will be the ones to have a good run in the competition.

Hark at Mystic Meg.
Fascinating insight from him wasn't it?

Offline Stevie2810

• Main Stander
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2020, 10:14:13 pm »

Hark at Mystic Meg.
He gets paid to give that opinion  :o

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2020, 10:19:33 pm »
Oooh Arsenal or Leicester just for a change ::)
We are a team of one half.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2020, 10:25:47 pm »
If we get There id probably Prefer arsenal as they’ll likely change the side like we will. Give our likely young team a more even contest

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2020, 10:40:56 pm »
If we get There id probably Prefer arsenal as they’ll likely change the side like we will. Give our likely young team a more even contest
Another 5-5 would be fun!

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2020, 11:19:35 pm »
Thiago plus 10 kids will send either of them packing

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2020, 11:19:59 pm »
Oooh Arsenal or Leicester just for a change ::)

I suppose City got Oxford?

EDIT: Ah, Millwall or Burnley away, should they manage to overcome the mighty Bournemouth at home. :butt

Is it too much to ask that we NOT get a fucking PL club so early in the competition for a change?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:24:36 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2020, 07:58:16 am »

Even in the quarter final they left half the team out against Everton.

Look, I know Everton are shite. But this can't be true. They need to start the game with at least 7 players , ergo they can't have left half the team out 😀
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2020, 09:02:56 am »
I suppose City got Oxford?

EDIT: Ah, Millwall or Burnley away, should they manage to overcome the mighty Bournemouth at home. :butt

Is it too much to ask that we NOT get a fucking PL club so early in the competition for a change?

It's not just drawing PL clubs it's the better ones. Chelsea and Arsenal early in both domestic Cups last year (Everton as well in the 3rd round). The year before Wolves and Chelsea in the 3rd round of both cups.

Arsenal or Leicester will turn up with a strong team

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2020, 01:23:15 pm »
We played Lincoln in a friendly in 2006. Fowler played
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2020, 03:19:26 pm »
We played Lincoln in a friendly in 2006. Fowler played
I know but was in hospital at the time so I dont count that one.