Author Topic: Now that 4th is out of the question...  (Read 11310 times)

Offline Liver-Land

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Now that 4th is out of the question...
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »
...surely we should use the next 9 league games to really sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak. The next 9 league games without the pressure of needing to achieve anything (outside of the FA Cup) means we can use the next 9 games to..

1) Decide for certain who to get rid of in the Summer
2) Try out the young blood and mix them up to see what combination clicks without the pressure of feeling the need for the 'money' players to get pitch time
3) Gain a huge headstart ahead of next season and see the next 9 games as advanced training sessions

We always knew it would take at least a season for the new team to gel...maybe now is when the lads can come out of their fucking shells and show Kenny what they are really made of. Either that or wave goodbye in the Summer..

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
Re: Now that 4th is out of the question...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:16:32 pm »
1) Decide for certain who to get rid of in the Summer

i tink those sort of decisions have almost all already been made.

Play suarez, play carroll, play downing, play gerrard, play skrtl, enrique. Fill other starting spots with young players. If we carry on as we have done since chrimbo, we'll finish will 50 points or less and most likely in 8th or 9th.

Play your best players and don't turn the run-in into an embarassment.

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:20:26 pm »
We need to still try for the highest league position possible. 4th sounds not possible but the next few games will not tell us who to get rid off .. Youth sure but it is too early still ...

I would personally like the team to gel more with "less" pressure and see how it goes.

The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline AshTJ

• Kopite
    • www.twitter.com/ashtjay
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 01:26:05 pm »
Are people seriously only conceding now that 4th is out of the question? Fuck me it was lost months ago. Infact ever since the opening game when we drew at home to Sunderland I don't think it was ever a real possiblity, for me anyway. Haven't been anywhere near good enough.

Agree we should use the remaining games to blood a few youngsters though. Should give the likes of Suso, Sterling, Morgan, Ngoo a few run outs. Don't really see the point of giving Shelvey, Eccleston, Flanagan, Robinson too many games. We already know what they're capable and they're not going to play any major part in the first team next season.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:27:48 pm by AshTJ »
Twitter - @ashtjay
Youtube - www.youtube.com/user/ashtjproductions

Offline Liver-Land

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 01:30:24 pm »
Are people seriously only conceding now that 4th is out of the question? Fuck me it was lost months ago. Infact ever since the opening game when we drew at home to Sunderland I don't think it was ever a real possiblity, for me anyway. Haven't been anywhere near good enough.

Agree we should use the remaining games to blood a few youngsters though. Should give the likes of Suso, Sterling, Morgan, Ngoo a few run outs. Don't really see the point of giving Shelvey, Eccleston, Flanagan, Robinson too many games. We already know what they're capable and they're not going to play any major part in the first team next season.

Fair point.

What I should have called the post is...now that it's pretty much statistically impossible to get 4th....

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:30:40 pm »
Are people seriously only conceding now that 4th is out of the question? Fuck me it was lost months ago. Infact ever since the opening game when we drew at home to Sunderland

Blimey you have had a long season.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline El Torres gol

• Anny Roader
  • Rest In Peace The 96 YNWA
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 01:46:00 pm »

So if those mentioned ie  Shelvey, Eccleston, Flanagan, Robinson won't play any part next season what would the point be of giving the younger lads a run out?  Shelvey, Flanagan, Robinson are all a long way further down the development route than Suso, Sterling, Morgan, Ngoo.
Maybe you should watch the reserve games before plucking names out of the air and making ill informed comments?
Brucie, Brucie what's the score?......................Brucie, what's the score?

Offline El Torres gol

• Anny Roader
  • Rest In Peace The 96 YNWA
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 01:48:17 pm »
Why don't we give the likes of Henderson and Adam, and Carroll for that matter a game or two in the reserves to boost their ebbing confidence?
That always used to happen. Are they too big time to play in the ressies?
Brucie, Brucie what's the score?......................Brucie, what's the score?

Offline Bill Bob Kenny

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 05:22:50 pm »
Ok 4th is gone - but we still need to aim as high up the league as possible.  We came 7th last year so for me it is important to try and beat that position. 

We are 7 points off Chelsea in 5th place and they are dropping points all over the place. 

Newcastle are 5 points ahead of us, but more worrying Swansea are only 3 points behind.

There are 27 points left to play for and we have probably one of the easier (supposedly) run ins out of all the teams around us.  We need as many points as possible to push on.
to quote a great man.. "Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 05:26:54 pm »
I hope Sterling and Shelvey get opportunities.

Coates should also play.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 05:28:13 pm »

I think you are mistaking likely with possible. As has been pointed out, Arsenal could forget 4th not so long ago and Wenger needed to be sacked to allow a new manager to start the rebuilding process. Where are they now?
I agree that the likelyhood of 4th went a little while back (although certainly not after a draw on the opening day) but I think the possibilty went in the last game.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline DavidNgog90

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 05:28:13 pm »
At least make the top 6. Finishing lower than we did last season would be very disappointing.

Offline Pendzo

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 05:31:30 pm »
The only thing i can see Kenny doing regarding 'youth' is playing Shelvey and Coates a bit more, maybe give Kelly a few games and maybe even Flanagan.

I doubt we'll see Sterling or Suso get any playing time but i wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

I think our main aim, bar winning the FA Cup would still be to finish as high up the table as possible, preferably above Newcastle.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 05:33:34 pm »
Beat Chelsea and stop them from getting into the CL on last day of the season. As good as winning the league, FA Cup and CL for me.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 05:35:34 pm »
4th is out of the question *on current form*. Were we to get the full 27 points from the run-in, we'd end on 69 points. If Spurs win 4 draw 3 lose 2 (not unthinkable given their current form) they'd end up on 69 points. The question is whether there is more to be gained from playing some of the youngsters or from a likely fruitless attempt to reach 69 points. I certainly think giving Sterling 20 minutes from the bench every game and giving Morgan a chance to show that he is the chance-taker we have been missing has very little downside at this point...

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »
You do know should we beat wigan on saturday and the spurs game finishes in a draw someone on rawk is going to end up starting a "can we sneak 4th" :butt

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 05:36:05 pm »
Beat Chelsea and stop them from getting into the CL on last day of the season. As good as winning the league, FA Cup and CL for me.

:o
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 05:38:06 pm »

What a ridiculous statement.

Offline Suarez7Carroll9

• Main Stander
  • Has Carroll in his username, but hates him really.
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 05:38:55 pm »
I would play Maxi, Henderson, Adam, Carroll, Coates, Aurelio, Shelvey, Carragher for different reasons.

Offline dgp_1_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:24 pm »
Very important to play like the world depends on it for the rest of our league games. I'd venture that there is HUGE pressure on us to achieve the best possible league position with what run of games we have left, as our standing will aid us in the transfer market, aid us as a business, aid our slightly ailing reputation, aid our morale carrying into 2012/13, and perhaps most importantly of all, aid my state of mild depression. I'm all for seeing the younguns get game time, but only if it's in the very best interests of the club. I'd like to see Shelvey and Sterling play this season though, for sure - and if they don't feature heavily in the next pre-season I'll be disappointed, but I'll accept that it is likely with good reason.

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:41 pm »
For better or worse I believe the following;

Carra will still start most of the games without Agger
Other than Maxi and Kuyt nobody will be leaving this summer
Shelvey will not start a game this season
Sterling will not make the bench this season
In the next day or two Carra or Gerrard will be quoted saying we need to fight for 4th or 5th until the end w/ no mention of youth players
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 05:43:31 pm »
Play the best team from now till the end

Offline Noble Nayudu

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 05:45:09 pm »
Lets finish above Chelsea and Newcastle at least and try to finish fifth. It will be an improvement on last season.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 05:46:54 pm »

yep

reina, skrtl, enrique, gerrard , downing , carroll, suarez should be the ever present when fit. The other places are less certain and don't mind switching those around.

Let's not let an extremely bad run descend into farce by putting out an experimental XI every week

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 05:47:25 pm »
Lets finish above Chelsea and Newcastle at least and try to finish fifth. It will be an improvement on last season.

League Cup, FA Cup and 5th would be amazing!!  Just don't see 5th happening unfortunately.  I would be very happy if it did!!
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 05:48:37 pm »
League Cup, FA Cup and 5th would be amazing acceptable gvien how the season has panned out!!  Just don't see 5th happening unfortunately.  I would be very happy if it did!!

^^ i prefer this!

Offline East of Anfield

• Kopite
  • Singaporean Red
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 06:01:39 pm »
For better or worse I believe the following;

Carra will still start most of the games without Agger
Other than Maxi and Kuyt nobody will be leaving this summer
Shelvey will not start a game this season
Sterling will not make the bench this season
In the next day or two Carra or Gerrard will be quoted saying we need to fight for 4th or 5th until the end w/ no mention of youth players

Add to that, henderson,downing and adam will be garunteed a starting spot

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 06:09:19 pm »
Dont mind letting some youngsters have some game time. The first team players havent proved themselves, so why not?
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 06:15:25 pm »

Fishing surely ?
Please tell me that, please.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 06:16:11 pm »

Barcelona ?
We'll get fucked if we do that.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 06:19:44 pm »
Dont mind letting some youngsters have some game time. The first team players havent proved themselves, so why not?
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline East of Anfield

• Kopite
  • Singaporean Red
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 06:20:39 pm »
Is it being a plastic fan or down right evil of me when i saw adam getting injured,i was secretly pleased as that means he won,t be playing the next game?

Offline East of Anfield

• Kopite
  • Singaporean Red
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 06:29:18 pm »
I'll admit i deserve a ban for being pleased that one our players get injured, (mod,if i do get ban, could it be only till before the wiggan game as i will be working and need rawk to get match info)

Offline gerrardlfc

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 06:31:52 pm »
What a ridiculous statement.
My thoughts entirely

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 06:38:30 pm »
Is it being a plastic fan or down right evil of me when i saw adam getting injured,i was secretly pleased as that means he won,t be playing the next game?

Yes you are Mr. Evil himself. But seriously, no I never want a LFC player to be injured no matter how poor he might be. But IMO Adam is just too slow and clumsy - always late in the challenges and always tries the spectacular(which he rarely succeeds with).

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 06:40:48 pm »
5th is the new 4th. 4th is so passe these days.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline East of Anfield

• Kopite
  • Singaporean Red
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 06:44:32 pm »
Yes you are Mr. Evil himself. But seriously, no I never want a LFC player to be injured no matter how poor he might be. But IMO Adam is just too slow and clumsy - always late in the challenges and always tries the spectacular(which he rarely succeeds with).

Hence the reason being injured is the only way he won't be selected to play

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 06:46:58 pm »
Now that 4th is out of the question ... Kenny must win the FA cup!! Otherwise, IMO he cannot hope to hold onto the job. If we were drop one or two more spots in the league table (not least bit far fetched), and we happen not to win the FA cup, his destiny is sealed. How could he ever justify another Summer to make choices on which players should be let go and which players should be brought in when his most expensive investments of the Summer past (Carroll, Downing, and Henderson) were all given a proper chance and proven to be inadequate in the most important competition? This is critical times for Kenny. He will approach every single game dead serious.

Blooding youngsters and treating games as training sessions? You not for real.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:50:33 pm by Redeo »
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »
I did not say we should treat the final games as training sessions. However, I dont see why we cannot give some of our best youngsters a chance when clearly the first team players havent been up to the task! I'm not saying we should field our U18, but Flanno, Robinson, Shelvey, Sterling and maybe Suso could get a change at some point. Not all together at once though...

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 07:01:45 pm »
I don't see how it would help. The team needs to learn how to perform under stressful situations (not being able to score when dominating and holding a lead), only competition for places would help that and chopping and changing the team in what would be a  "training session" wouldn't either. Changing the whole team just to give fringe players a game would be counter-productive. If you fail to perform, your out of the team, if your replacement plays well, your out of the club. Make it clear in no uncertain terms that we want to finish as high as possible or heads will roll.