Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 334816 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Xabi Alonso
« Reply #3600 on: January 10, 2024, 07:35:18 pm »
So we're saying the Gerrard candidature is still alive?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3601 on: January 10, 2024, 07:47:34 pm »

:D I think the key metric is whether the person improved as a result of the difficult circumstance. By that metric, Gerrard failed.

Or even if the metric is a certain amount of intellect and emotional intelligence, we can safely discount Gerrard!

Sorry Gerrard, I loved you as a player.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'ŕ quoi bon ?'
« Reply #3602 on: January 10, 2024, 08:12:49 pm »
I remember when Sami Hyypia began his coaching career at Leverkusen, he got them to finish 3rd and 4th before it all went off the rails. Didn't stop people from hoping he'd replace Rodgers.

There's a long way to go for Alonso before we can even think of him being a viable candidate for the Liverpool job, personally I hope and pray Klopp's here for the next 10 years and we don't get to even contemplate that possibility.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #3603 on: January 10, 2024, 10:19:12 pm »
Klopp is going to be irreplaceable in my opinion. We are going to have to seriously adjust our expectations when the time unfortunately comes.

Others might be equally good tacticians etc. but nobody who is going to bring the soul he has brought to this club.

And it's not just a "well they've played for the club, they'll get us" thing as we can clearly see with Gerrard, Fowler etc. Arguably two of my favourite ever players who I wouldn't want to see near even a coaching role back here.

Klopp's just different. I don't know how to explain it.
JFT97

Online Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3604 on: January 11, 2024, 12:28:31 pm »
Klopp is going to be irreplaceable in my opinion. We are going to have to seriously adjust our expectations when the time unfortunately comes.

Others might be equally good tacticians etc. but nobody who is going to bring the soul he has brought to this club.

And it's not just a "well they've played for the club, they'll get us" thing as we can clearly see with Gerrard, Fowler etc. Arguably two of my favourite ever players who I wouldn't want to see near even a coaching role back here.

This is a good point - Klopp has stamped his DNA through the club now, and when he does eventually leave, we're going to be facing the similar sort of task as Arsenal did when Wenger left, or when Ferguson left Man United.

I love Xabi, and he'd be my first choice to replace Klopp if he was to leave. But, at the same time, I fear for whoever's next in line, no matter how talented a manager they are.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3605 on: January 11, 2024, 12:38:29 pm »
There was that claim a few months ago that he has a clause in his contract saying he can manage Liverpool/Madrid/Bayern, and while I'm not sure if it's 100% true I do think he'll want to manage all of them at some stage, possibly even Sociedad too where he already done well with their B side.

The job could be a bit much for him straight after Klopp goes, but if it happened one day I really wouldn't be surprised, I think he'll carry on doing well. For me now though he should stay at Leverkusen for at least another season beyond this, probably more. Interesting to see how they do in the Champions League next season and most importantly if they win a league title. This season might be the chance but they still have the German cup and Europa League too.

I think if he was to go to Real Madrid first it might be beneficial for him/us down the line. They don't really hold onto managers and I think Ancelotti will be their first manager in probably decades to see more than three straight seasons in charge, bare in mind he is the record CL winning manager too. Maybe he goes to Madrid for a couple of seasons and they boot him, who knows. I know it's probably one of the most coveted jobs in the game too but surely there's less appeal in managing a Bayern side who win at least one trophy every season without fail. Liverpool is a proper challenge, if he wants one, and I think he will.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3606 on: January 11, 2024, 01:33:45 pm »
There are certain players that come along and are loved by Reds fans, it's not based on their achievements alone, Alonso is one of those (along with the likes of Hypia and Dalglish, obviously). Erik Meijier is loved more than some past players who achieved a great deal more so it's a certain quality in them as people and the connection they make.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3607 on: January 11, 2024, 01:50:02 pm »
I think if he was to go to Real Madrid first it might be beneficial for him/us down the line. They don't really hold onto managers and I think Ancelotti will be their first manager in probably decades to see more than three straight seasons in charge, bare in mind he is the record CL winning manager too. Maybe he goes to Madrid for a couple of seasons and they boot him, who knows. I know it's probably one of the most coveted jobs in the game too but surely there's less appeal in managing a Bayern side who win at least one trophy every season without fail. Liverpool is a proper challenge, if he wants one, and I think he will.
I think so too, and also because I've come to believe the best way to follow a legendary manager who leaves at the top is with continuity. We should promote someone from within who the players know and who knows the system and the club. You go for someone external if and when that doesn't work.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3608 on: January 11, 2024, 03:52:06 pm »

Trouble is when we lose Klopp that will be a big fall for us, we need someone who is not only good but get's us. By then we should know the first of those. If they are drawn in a 2 leg game in the Europa this year (or CL next year) he will see how admired he still is by our fans, that will make him think.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3609 on: January 11, 2024, 07:51:52 pm »

I haven't heard anyone recently say they want Gerrard as manager now.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3610 on: January 18, 2024, 11:35:18 am »
I haven't heard anyone recently say they want Gerrard as manager now.
So people have finally realised he was never a candidate. On Xabi Alonso, I say, let him get Real Madrid out of his system first.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #3611 on: January 20, 2024, 09:18:22 am »
The contrast of this guy with those other two ex-midfielders.

https://twitter.com/bayer04_en/status/1748345468478734840

Football careers are temporary. Class is permanent.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3612 on: January 20, 2024, 09:37:52 am »
The contrast of this guy with those other two ex-midfielders.

https://twitter.com/bayer04_en/status/1748345468478734840

Football careers are temporary. Class is permanent.
Indeed. Admirable in every way.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3613 on: January 20, 2024, 09:58:18 am »
Bit of a tangent, but I note that Xabi is giving his press conference in English, as did Konate when returning to Leipzig in pre-season. Is this the done thing among foreign players in Germany, they just use English as the modern European lingua franca? Seems that players in La Liga are more likely to speak in the local lingo although I have no stats to back up any of this.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3614 on: January 26, 2024, 11:14:58 am »
Wonder if this thread might switch to the main board  in the summer…
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3615 on: January 26, 2024, 11:18:32 am »
Wonder if this thread might switch to the main board  in the summer…

really hope so. Is obviously the best choice.

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3616 on: January 26, 2024, 11:21:04 am »
I fear he'd leave us for Real Madrid again at the first opportunity.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3617 on: January 26, 2024, 11:22:25 am »
Bit early to speculate but I understand why people are. He probably is the best choice, they'll need to get someone popular in who knows the club, just so they have some leeway with the more overzealous fans.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3618 on: January 26, 2024, 11:26:16 am »
The only candidate for me. You have to have a certain personality to manage us as well the ability and he's got it as we already know but if anyone was in doubt watch his speech the other day.

Might be the best summer to get him too, Guardiola will I assume not leave, Utd and Chelsea are still shit, Ancelotti just signed a new deal (though granted that doesnt mean a lot there), Barca have no cash etc etc. Lose out now and there's the chance it never happens. Bayern will be looking but he'd choose us I think.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3619 on: January 26, 2024, 11:33:42 am »
In the ideal world where Klopp stayed he'd have gone to Madrid then Liverpool. As Gulu says above the alternative could happen and how could it ever be as relaxing?

The obvious shout is Alonso, I think he would be the dream out of this nightmare scenario. I really like Inzaghi at Inter Milan but Italians and Liverpool are a bit like oil and water.

I fear anyone not named Xabi Alonso as the club's next manager might be severely underwhelming for people. If it is him you might just retain some of the good energy, and if he gets a good start, well ...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 11:43:46 am by disgraced cake »

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3620 on: January 26, 2024, 11:52:35 am »
I fear he'd leave us for Real Madrid again at the first opportunity.

Especially if he does well. Real Madrid is the reason we can't have nice things.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3621 on: January 26, 2024, 12:02:33 pm »
“ According to a report by Sport BILD, Alonso, who signed a two-year contract extension with Leverkusen in August 2023 which runs until 2026, has a release clause for three specific clubs: Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.”

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3622 on: January 26, 2024, 12:03:38 pm »
Is there any way in which I can personally trigger that release clause?

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #3623 on: January 26, 2024, 12:17:06 pm »

...didn't realise "when the time unfortunately comes" would be a few weeks later.
JFT97

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3624 on: January 26, 2024, 12:25:03 pm »
“ According to a report by Sport BILD, Alonso, who signed a two-year contract extension with Leverkusen in August 2023 which runs until 2026, has a release clause for three specific clubs: Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.”

That was rubbished by Leverkusen, the way they phrased it was that he has a gentlemen's agreement / understanding if these clubs came in.
:D

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #3625 on: January 26, 2024, 12:32:47 pm »
Is there any way in which I can personally trigger that release clause?

Sleep until June and hope its done when you wake up 🤣

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3626 on: January 26, 2024, 12:38:00 pm »
Love Xabi the player. But haven't watched too many of his games. How would his style of football match the players we got currently?

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #3627 on: January 26, 2024, 01:06:28 pm »
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3628 on: January 26, 2024, 01:08:11 pm »
Yeah, let's not.

Offline eddiedingle

• Kopite
« Reply #3629 on: March 28, 2024, 10:55:33 pm »
Had 2 very good seasons and 2 poor to average seasons with us if we are honest

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3630 on: March 28, 2024, 11:34:34 pm »
Nigel De Jong's challenge on him in the World Cup Final was perfectly executed

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3631 on: March 28, 2024, 11:36:59 pm »
Tax Dodger!

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3632 on: March 29, 2024, 12:11:01 pm »
Prick, never liked him
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3633 on: March 29, 2024, 12:17:44 pm »
Is Rossi ok?

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #3634 on: April 3, 2024, 10:21:45 am »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3635 on: April 3, 2024, 06:19:51 pm »
Was never sold on him, too pally with Legohead as a kid.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3636 on: April 4, 2024, 06:53:48 am »
I think we were all guilty of romanticising him on here.

Offline eddiedingle

• Kopite
« Reply #3637 on: April 4, 2024, 12:26:28 pm »
Maybe he hasn't as much as affinity to the club as we thought

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3638 on: April 4, 2024, 11:10:15 pm »
Maybe he hasn't as much as affinity to the club as we thought
Or maybe he's fully invested in the project he has at Leverkusen.

That said, if he takes the Real Madrid job next summer then he can do one.