Author Topic: Champions league changes approved.  (Read 7219 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Champions league changes approved.
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2022, 06:26:51 pm »
You should just look up how a Swiss model works first.

Just like Villarreal subsidized their fans travel there is no reason LFC can't do the same which they should do. Hopefully SoS's involvement helps with that. They make so much money now that it would basically affect nothing.

LFC have never and will never subsidise supporters travelling to away games. Villareal only did it as they've never been there before.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2022, 06:29:44 pm »
So the new format for the champions league group stage has been approved and it looks fucking shite. All teams in same league and playing 8 games, 4 home and 4 away but only playing any team once. Top 8 go through and next 16 play off to go through.

No ‘legacy places’ but best two performing leagues get an extra place so very likely England will regularly have 5 places.

Think I would’ve preferred the super league.

With these "reforms", the European Super League is inevitable. Not that I like it much, but UEFA are clueless and they are keeping the project alive ...

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2022, 06:44:10 pm »
LFC have never and will never subsidise supporters travelling to away games. Villareal only did it as they've never been there before.

Hopefully the people engaging with the club have more of an open mind than you do.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2022, 06:51:13 pm »
Games gone.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2022, 06:56:54 pm »
With these "reforms", the European Super League is inevitable. Not that I like it much, but UEFA are clueless and they are keeping the project alive ...

It's not just UEFA who is pushing this.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2022, 06:57:36 pm »
Haha....footy these days, fans getting rinsed to fuck to watch a second rate product, while the rich get richer off their  backs.

Football is corrupt and greedy to the core and that's the future, there's no turning back.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2022, 07:07:37 pm »
It's not just UEFA who is pushing this.

I know, but they are creating a real mess. Eventually, the big clubs will move away from Man City, PSG, Newcastle and the likes, and stop pouring money into UEFA's coffers ...

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2022, 07:13:55 pm »
UEFA: We have a goose which lays eggs of gold. What should we do with it?

A) Nurture it. Treat it well and look after it. ❎

B) Kill the bastard then squeeze every last drop of blood from its corpse. ✅

:duh

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2022, 07:16:34 pm »
Hopefully the people engaging with the club have more of an open mind than you do.

You live in la la land.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2022, 07:20:50 pm »

Just like Villarreal subsidized their fans travel there is no reason LFC can't do the same which they should do. Hopefully SoS's involvement helps with that. They make so much money now that it would basically affect nothing.

As someone that doesn't go to Euro aways, this is a fucking horrendous idea. Going to an away game in Europe for 99% of people is more than just a few quid on a ticket and a plane journey. Fuck UEFA and their corporate greed.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2022, 07:21:57 pm »
UEFA: We have a goose which lays eggs of gold. What should we do with it?

A) Nurture it. Treat it well and look after it. ❎

B) Kill the bastard then squeeze every last drop of blood from its corpse. ✅

:duh

They've learnt over the years that people will put up with more and more shit and the more shit they get away with, the more shit they will pile onto the game. Look at today, fawning over City as they destroy the game around them. They will push and push and push and there will always be someone who will pay for the product.

We remember when football was affordable, I remember when Moores said it would never cost more than a flim to go on the Kop, I remember the fan survey in the mid 00's (its on here somewhere) where dickheads replied they would happily pay £100 to watch a home game. Sadly the game we loved has gone.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2022, 07:26:43 pm »
They've learnt over the years that people will put up with more and more shit and the more shit they get away with, the more shit they will pile onto the game. Look at today, fawning over City as they destroy the game around them. They will push and push and push and there will always be someone who will pay for the product.

We remember when football was affordable, I remember when Moores said it would never cost more than a flim to go on the Kop, I remember the fan survey in the mid 00's (its on here somewhere) where dickheads replied they would happily pay £100 to watch a home game. Sadly the game we loved has gone.
I totally agree that the game is gone. I've said it for a few years now, that it's only Klopp and LFC that keep me remotely interested. An oasis of authenticity in a sea of plastic.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2022, 07:42:07 pm »
does Gary Neville not fancy starting another riot then or what
it won't affect the sixth place team so no concern of his
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2022, 07:45:08 pm »
I know, but they are creating a real mess. Eventually, the big clubs will move away from Man City, PSG, Newcastle and the likes, and stop pouring money into UEFA's coffers ...
the sooner that happens the better, UEFA & FIFA are corrupt as fuck

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2022, 07:47:34 pm »
They will have no choice . I certainly want no part of a game where horrific nation state owned clubs are buying up every title.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2022, 07:50:23 pm »
Lots of calls saying the 'game is gone' but do you still actively still follow it, go the match, pay BT/Sky to watch it etc?  Have you fucked the rest of the pointless shite off and just follow us?

How much more can you put up with, this stuff interests me, there's no right and wrong and no point scoring, everybody is entitled to think how they like and follow the game accordingly

I gave up watching footy ages ago, I just check our score on here or 316 on teletext and that's it. Too much shit going on on too many levels in my opinion, from  those at the very top right down to the thick moronic fans who still us grief over Hillsborough etc.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2022, 07:54:21 pm »
I'm guessing this means that anyone who qualifies for Europe will bin off the League Cup, no way can clubs fit in extra fixtures unless we have to play twice a week for the season.

If that happens it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, although there would be less chance to bed our younger players in

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2022, 07:55:47 pm »
Lots of calls saying the 'game is gone' but do you still actively still follow it, go the match, pay BT/Sky to watch it etc?  Have you fucked the rest of the pointless shite off and just follow us?

How much more can you put up with, this stuff interests me, there's no right and wrong and no point scoring, everybody is entitled to think how they like and follow the game accordingly

I gave up watching footy ages ago, I just check our score on here or 316 on teletext and that's it. Too much shit going on on too many levels in my opinion, from  those at the very top right down to the thick moronic fans who still us grief over Hillsborough etc.
I've never given less of a fuck about football than I do now. Only watch our games now and it's only on streams, don't give a penny to BT or Sky. Can't even remember the last time I watched a game involving two other teams. It's just all fucking depressing and the thought of a CL Final in Qatar consisting of City v Newcastle is just ridiculous.

I'd love to know what young fans think of the current state of the game, do they even know what City's and Newcastle's owners get up to?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2022, 09:04:10 pm »
They will have no choice . I certainly want no part of a game where horrific nation state owned clubs are buying up every title.

Exactly. PSG have pretty much ruined Ligue 1. Man City and Newcastle will ruin the Premier League. It is only a matter of time before some oil state will buy a club in the Serie A or La Liga. The traditional big clubs will have a simple choice: Sell up to the oil states, or create the European Super league without the oil clubs ...

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2022, 10:31:54 pm »

Watch us when on, have taken the kids to 3 games this season, do not watch any other PL team, watch the odd CL game, don't watch MOTD unless I haven't seen us and then I record it, fast forward to us and switch off. I did watch the Real v City game, my lad wanted it on and that was funny as fuck to see.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2022, 12:17:20 am »

We don't have Sky or BT, although if we are on BT when I'm at my parents house I catch us there because that channel is in her telly package. I don't watch MotD either. I don't listen to sports phone-ins or anything on TV building up to games. I was an Anfield regular for decades, but have been priced out of the game for some time now.

If I'm home and can get a stream, I will do. I only watch Liverpool games though. I can't even remember when I last watched a match that didn't involve us. I loathe international football, so never watch that either.

It's just LFC and Klopp for me. Outside of that, the game is pretty much dead to me now.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 12:19:08 am by Son of Spion »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2022, 12:21:52 am »
I'm not saying it needed it but honestly I'm not against seeing how a different group format goes

The knockouts are the best part anyway as long as they stay the same (and fuck the 1 leg semis that people want), I'm happy

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2022, 01:26:56 am »
What’s wrong with the one they’re using now ffs

the super league scared them

so they made their own

it really is just that isn't it
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2022, 02:12:00 am »
Knockout stages to remain the same as now.

That was my main concern. Group stage format needed an overhaul. This will mean bigger games in the group stage.

Edit,: Just heard that you can technically finish 24th in the group stage and still win the Champions League. That's insane
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 02:16:29 am by LFC when it suits »

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2022, 05:13:08 am »
So we could finish top of a group containing Liverpool city psg Bayern and real, without playing any of them. Great.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2022, 09:17:41 am »
the super league scared them

so they made their own

it really is just that isn't it

Nope, this was already being discussed at the same time, not sure whether UEFA knew about the ESL as I guess the clubs wanted that keeping secret but no doubt the clubs knew about these plans

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2022, 09:18:28 am »
So we could finish top of a group containing Liverpool city psg Bayern and real, without playing any of them. Great.

And then get bummed 10-0 by Bayern in the first ko round

As per usual ;D

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2022, 09:35:28 am »
The group stages right now are fairly tedious and predictable, so I think a refresh was required. Will this be an improvement? Let's see, will probably take a couple of seasons to come to a conclusion. The important thing is to retain the KO stages and not go ahead with this ludicrous semi-final plan.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2022, 09:39:12 am »
  • Two of the extra four slots will be awarded to nations whose clubs achieve the best collective performance in the season before. To work this out, the total points earned will be divided by the number of sides competing in European club competitions.
  • In four of the past five campaigns, a team in the Premier League would have received one of the additional slots.
  • In another change, clubs from the same country will now be able to play against each other in the early knockout stages.
  • One element that will not be changing when the new system is introduced in 2024 is the two-legged semi-finals.
  • It essentially boils down to every league being greedy and wanting more, but the new format will offer balance and should encourage teams playing in either of UEFA’s three club competitions to go as far as possible and earn coefficient points for their country.

https://theathletic.com/3304986/2022/05/11/explained-how-the-new-champions-league-will-work/
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2022, 09:52:20 am »
The group stages right now are fairly tedious and predictable, so I think a refresh was required. Will this be an improvement? Let's see, will probably take a couple of seasons to come to a conclusion. The important thing is to retain the KO stages and not go ahead with this ludicrous semi-final plan.

With 24 out of 36 going through, something line nine points will probably be enough. There will be quite a few teams safe from elimination having played three of their eight group games. Of course, top 8 takes you straight to the last 16, so there will still be something to play for, but the fear of elimination will be gone. Going into the final round, most teams will already know whether they're through or not, and most of them will know whether they're in the top 8 or not. I'd call that tedious and predictable.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2022, 09:54:43 am »

UEFA should look up how a Swiss model works. What they're proposing is nothing like the Swiss model, the fixtures will be worked out in advance and everyone will get an equally difficult set of fixtures, based on seeding.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2022, 09:57:50 am »
  • Two of the extra four slots will be awarded to nations whose clubs achieve the best collective performance in the season before. To work this out, the total points earned will be divided by the number of sides competing in European club competitions.

This is pretty nuts. We're going to end up with a scenario whereby a team finishes 5th in the PL (or whatever league) and then has to wait until the final is played before knowing whether they'll be in the CL or the EL. We could finish 5th and then need Man City to win the final so that we get in the following year!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2022, 10:23:02 am »
With 24 out of 36 going through, something line nine points will probably be enough. There will be quite a few teams safe from elimination having played three of their eight group games. Of course, top 8 takes you straight to the last 16, so there will still be something to play for, but the fear of elimination will be gone. Going into the final round, most teams will already know whether they're through or not, and most of them will know whether they're in the top 8 or not. I'd call that tedious and predictable.
Agree with this. It will be apparent early on which teams can’t make top 8, once these know they won’t be in the bottom 8 there will be so many dead rubbers. There will be too many teams that are safely between 8th and 24th who will just play out boring draws. Tedious and boring.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2022, 10:25:02 am »
Agree with this. It will be apparent early on which teams can’t make top 8, once these know they won’t be in the bottom 8 there will be so many dead rubbers. There will be too many teams that are safely between 8th and 24th who will just play out boring draws. Tedious and boring.

I actually think it'll be interesting. I'm assuming it'll be 9th vs 24th, 10th vs 23rd etc. and not some weird Swiss calculations. You'll want to avoid the big teams in the next round so you'll be keeping an eye on the other results.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2022, 10:37:59 am »
I actually think it'll be interesting. I'm assuming it'll be 9th vs 24th, 10th vs 23rd etc. and not some weird Swiss calculations. You'll want to avoid the big teams in the next round so you'll be keeping an eye on the other results.
I just can’t see being in a league where you don’t play every team ever being fair. Plus having to play say Man City away, whilst another club plays them at home, it can never even itself out.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2022, 10:40:08 am »
I just can’t see being in a league where you don’t play every team ever being fair. Plus having to play say Man City away, whilst another club plays them at home, it can never even itself out.

And you just know UEFA will skew this so the oil clubs get through every year.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2022, 10:49:43 am »

They did with the womens team. Put on free coaches for hundreds of travelling fans for most of this season.

I agree it would never happen in the mens game but LFC have subsidised supporters travelling to away games.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2022, 10:53:19 am »
Villareal only did it as they've never been there before.

They were in the semi final in 2006

Annoyed me that BT commentary completely ignored this, calling our tie the biggest game in their history. Just no regard whatsoever for the semi final in 2006, or the European final they won last season.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2022, 11:05:35 am »
They did with the womens team. Put on free coaches for hundreds of travelling fans for most of this season.

I agree it would never happen in the mens game but LFC have subsidised supporters travelling to away games.

I was referring to the mens game and travel overseas. I had no idea about the womens team as I don't have an interest in them.

They were in the semi final in 2006

Annoyed me that BT commentary completely ignored this, calling our tie the biggest game in their history. Just no regard whatsoever for the semi final in 2006, or the European final they won last season.

Were they really? I was living on my own that year and chose not to have a telly, so other than going to our games, I didn't follow the CL and I lost all interest in it after we went out to Benfica.

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2022, 11:05:58 am »
Really annoying that the super league fiasco has allowed UEFA to take the moral high-ground when we all know they exist merely to maximise revenues and care not a jot for the game itself. These changes do nothing to make the game more attractive, but will potentially provide additional revenues, a big chunk of which goes to competing clubs, so on we go.

Answering a poster earlier in the thread, I only invest in LFC, and no interest in anything which doesn't involve them. Haven't subscribed to SKY for decades, as soon as I saw what Murdoch was up to. Had BT for a while (free mainly) but ditched that a couple of seasons back when they showed they want exactly the same as SKY and all the other parties football has sold its soul to. I subscribe to LFC TV and watch games when it suits me. Try to get to as many games in person as I can, because that remains the most important fan interaction in my book. Richards, Neville, and Carragher are nothing to me and I don't want to hear what hey think (sic). If Liverpool revert to life under Hodgson, I would have very little involvement in the game which I have loved since a small child. That is quite sad I think. Really not sure how we get the genie back in the bottle, but I imagine it involves the money bubble popping at some point. Maybe another league becomes the play thing of the super rich? Germany seems to have a better balance, but that huge market sees very few top players being bought by its clubs; a one-sided championship; and limited success in pan-European competitions. I might quite like the thought of less money in our game, but you only have to look at each club's transfer page on its fan forum (including our own) to see that a huge amount of fans want the next shiny thing. So, I guess I'm old-fashioned and out of touch, but as I approach 60, maybe I'm allowed that.

Just going to enjoy Jurgen's reds for as long as I can, and what will be thereafter, will be.