Author Topic: Holidays 2022 - what are you doing this year?  (Read 31154 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Holidays 2022 - what are you doing this year?
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2022, 04:14:50 pm »
Thanks. This is for going, not coming back.

It depends on the country. Some have scrapped them and some haven't.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2022, 04:27:10 pm »
Flight prices for this summer are just ridiculous at the moment.

My Wife asked me to look at the Maldives for Xmas. Premium economy flights, 8-9 days mid tier hotel, 4 people (inc 2 kids) staying in a beach villa and all inclusive. All in the cost was over £40k!

I know it's Xmas and I know the Maldives is expensive. But 40k is ridiculous. No idea if that's massively over normal prices but is was a lot more than double the cost of going at October half-term.

As you can imagine I'm not going to the Maldives for Xmas (or October half-term)

Off to southern Spainish coast in August for a week. About 45 mins drive from Jerez. Got a villa with a swimming pool, just off the beach. Should be brilliant after not being on a summer holiday for 3 years. Not many British tourists and lots of great beaches and Spanish restaurants. Been before and eating/drinking out has always been very reasonable. Hopefully that's the same after 4-5 years of not going there.

Also got a week on Norfolk coast in July. Massively under rated part of the country to visit. Probably because it's difficult to get to for anyone in the West and a bit further out the way for London folks who have places like Southwold, Aldeburgh, Whitstable, Broadstairs, Brighton/Hove, plus others in easier commutable distance.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2022, 04:36:45 pm »
I've read about these 'ghost flights' flying in and out of the UK just to keeo the slots. Assume a lot must be going from Manchester Airport as they've really cut back on the number of direct routes.

Looks decent. The coast line is a bit rugged and can't really swim in the sea but there is plenty to do.
I love the North coast of Spain. There's a nice beach at San Sebastian, Zarautz further along the coast is also OK for swimming in the sea, some decent waves if I remember. Just don't try speaking any castilian spanish there though!

Great food all along the coast though.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2022, 04:37:59 pm »
Thanks. This is for going, not coming back.

Ah right

Check here  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice as countries have changed a lot, Spain and Greece I know have scrapped them, Cyprus binned of the Cyprus Travel Pass.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2022, 07:15:01 pm »
Ah right

Check here  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice as countries have changed a lot, Spain and Greece I know have scrapped them, Cyprus binned of the Cyprus Travel Pass.

Thanks, I deffo need one, just wasn't sure what they meant by 24 hours before arrival and didn't want to leave it and it was too late!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2022, 07:40:45 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/apr/30/passport-office-delay-thousands-summer-holidays

Just a warning for anyone perusing this thread looking for ideas!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2022, 10:02:34 am »
Greece has dropped all restrictions starting tomorrow 1st May. Great news as we are going to Crete in 4 weeks and needed a test for the youngest.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #287 on: May 2, 2022, 07:59:17 pm »
Does anyone know what you have to do to go to the US?

Clear as mud right now
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #288 on: May 2, 2022, 11:09:24 pm »
Does anyone know what you have to do to go to the US?

Clear as mud right now
Unless I've got things wildly wrong, you need to:

a) Get an ESTA to go there as a tourist: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

b) Make sure to get a negative PCR Covid test less than 24 hours before flying from an official testing site. I'm using Randox and they have a couple of branches in Liverpool.

c) Have the NHS app downloaded and the travel pass on there. As far as I can tell most countries are fine with you passing through the airport for a transfer. You shouldn't need anything extra for that but best to double check if you aren't 100%.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: May 12, 2022, 01:27:04 pm »
So Morocco still haven't dropped the PCR requirements so looks like I'm going to have to do one, even though apparently no-one ever there checks it :butt

What is the cheapest one people have found? Pharmacy near me does it for £50 which is the going rate but found a clinic in Liverpool and Warrington that do it for £20, it's just the drive there for me which may not make it worthwhile

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: May 12, 2022, 02:05:32 pm »
So Morocco still haven't dropped the PCR requirements so looks like I'm going to have to do one, even though apparently no-one ever there checks it :butt

What is the cheapest one people have found? Pharmacy near me does it for £50 which is the going rate but found a clinic in Liverpool and Warrington that do it for £20, it's just the drive there for me which may not make it worthwhile

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/how-to-find-the-cheapest-private-coronavirus-tests-for-travel/

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #291 on: May 20, 2022, 01:43:25 pm »

They now have for those that have had 3 vaccines (2 and the booster)

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco/entry-requirements

Was about to book mine tonight and saved myself £190

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: May 28, 2022, 03:42:50 pm »
Manchester Airport is fucking shite. Went at 2 today to drop our cases off for tomorrow's flight, brand new £1billi T2 and the fucking baggage belts are bust. Huge queues all over the place, got to go back later :butt

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: May 29, 2022, 03:01:24 pm »
Manchester Airport can go fuck themselves. Back home as the flight was cancelled after we'd been sat on the plane for 3 hours cos the fucking bags weren't loaded.

Swissport are c*nts.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #294 on: May 29, 2022, 03:05:34 pm »
Manchester Airport can go fuck themselves. Back home as the flight was cancelled after we'd been sat on the plane for 3 hours cos the fucking bags weren't loaded.

Swissport are c*nts.

Shite that mate. Can you get another flight anytime soon?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: May 29, 2022, 03:09:49 pm »
Shite that mate. C

Can you get another flight anytime soon?

Flying out 1:15 pm tomorrow instead. Getting £1400 compo off the fuckers, so not all bad.

Now if only we could import some workers from say Bulgaria or such places to do the work the British won't do......

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #296 on: May 29, 2022, 03:11:07 pm »
Who were you flying with? I know someone I work with who’s meant to be flying tomorrow morning from there, with Tui.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2022, 03:33:19 pm »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's TUI and they are a fucking nightmare. Every flight delayed by over an hour, check in was a mare this morning but. Luckily I dropped our bags off yesterday

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: May 30, 2022, 02:10:08 pm »
We should have left an hour ago, they're only just unloading the plane as it landed 30 mins ago. They're using a smaller plane, they checked everyone in, then about 20 people got emails basically kicking them off the flights.

If you are flying out of Manchester with TUI, expect a minimum 90 minute delay, up to 4 hours.

Swissport even managed to lose a luggage trolley yesterday, they only took it to the fucking plane and back, how'd they manage that?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: May 30, 2022, 03:43:24 pm »
The Co pilot has got off the plane and is loading the fucking bags himself 🤣

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #300 on: May 30, 2022, 04:03:26 pm »
The Co pilot has got off the plane and is loading the fucking bags himself 🤣

:lmao

Like when your taxi driver gets out abs opens the boot to put your bags in?

Looks like my mate flew off today - just the 4 hour delay though.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: May 30, 2022, 09:57:34 pm »
:lmao

Like when your taxi driver gets out abs opens the boot to put your bags in?

Looks like my mate flew off today - just the 4 hour delay though.

Just like that :lmao

It's on twitter and BBC news north west as a couple of people on the plane videod it and posted it.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: May 30, 2022, 11:04:50 pm »
We've just won €50 on the music quiz, we'd only been here 30 minutes :lmao

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: May 31, 2022, 12:53:49 pm »
We should have left an hour ago, they're only just unloading the plane as it landed 30 mins ago. They're using a smaller plane, they checked everyone in, then about 20 people got emails basically kicking them off the flights.

If you are flying out of Manchester with TUI, expect a minimum 90 minute delay, up to 4 hours.

Swissport even managed to lose a luggage trolley yesterday, they only took it to the fucking plane and back, how'd they manage that?
At least you got away. We sat on our plane for 2 hours yesterday before they asked us all to get off and cancelled it. Back this morning for a replacement flight - already delayed by 2 hours. No catering available for the flight so can’t take off. What a mess.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2022, 01:26:54 pm »
Can anyone explain whats going so wrong? Is it just more people going on holiday this year than usual because we were penned down for 2 years with Covid? Or is it something like getting rid of loads of staff during covid, then needing to retrain a load more during the peak?

It just baffles me, whys it gone to shit?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2022, 02:22:13 pm »
At least you got away. We sat on our plane for 2 hours yesterday before they asked us all to get off and cancelled it. Back this morning for a replacement flight - already delayed by 2 hours. No catering available for the flight so can’t take off. What a mess.

We were the same, 3 hours on the plane Sunday, taken off, sent home, 2:50 on the plane yesterday, 32hr delay.

Can anyone explain whats going so wrong? Is it just more people going on holiday this year than usual because we were penned down for 2 years with Covid? Or is it something like getting rid of loads of staff during covid, then needing to retrain a load more during the peak?

Swissport sacked all the baggage handlers during lockdown and no-one wants to work for them and those that are there are fucking useless. Terminal 2 has luggage dumped all over the place, 3hrs people are waiting for baggage. Our first attempt to fly out they brought the baggage to the plane 2 and a half hours after the flight should have taken off.

We've lost 2 days of our holiday and fucking dreading Sunday flying back.

Place we are staying is ace and the weather is glorious so would love the flight to get cancelled and we can stay an extra day 😊

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #307 on: May 31, 2022, 02:26:14 pm »

The first part, yes. Some staff weren't even furloughed but laid-off.

Many staff (laid off or furloughed) found alternative jobs that it seems they now prefer. Brexit has reduced the casual worker pool.

Airlines lost a shitload during Covid, so are now trying to penny-pinch. Especially cos fuel costs have surged.

We've got 3 nights booked in Malta at the end of June. If there's any significant delay, it won't be worth going. Booked on EasyJet, so doesn't bode well. Just hoping that a super-early morning flight and it not being a peak period might save us.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: May 31, 2022, 02:44:00 pm »
Tui have just cancelled 186 flights out of manchester between now and the end of june.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2022, 03:05:37 pm »
Why are all the major stories seemingly about Manchester?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2022, 03:44:04 pm »
Tui have just cancelled 186 flights out of manchester between now and the end of june.

Makes sense as nothing left on time this weekend, 2 hrs minimum seemed to be the delay, its chaos, they are paying a fortune in compensation. TUI need to create their own ground crew company, rather than use swissport. That likely means we'll get picked up on time by an empty plane, they did this yesterday with the return for our cancelled one on Sunday, our plane was flying back empty

The worst delay we saw was a flight to Dalamman that should have left Friday and they tried to go every day and it finally left yesterday, I'd hate to see the compo bill for that.

Why are all the major stories seemingly about Manchester?

TUI use swissport and they are shite and now have hardly any staff.

Jet2 have issues too, e en though they have their own staff, think they did some shit during furlough.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: May 31, 2022, 10:17:59 pm »
My sister works for Tui as a hostess been with them about 28 years , she said months ago it will get worse before it gets better , said Manchester airport didn’t furlough but sacked lots of workers , then when they tried to bring them back it was a zero hours contract and no overtime just hours paid back at slack times

They struggled getting people back so held jobs fairs and still found they were struggling and the ones they took on still require security clearance and training , she said be about September before it would get back to normal .

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2022, 10:52:43 pm »
This is costing tui £14m just in EU cancellation compensation alone. Factor in the £8m in extra vouchers

Then there is the profit they lose on those holiday bookings.

The bigger issue from all this is holidays in 2023 will be inflated even more so they can make the 2022 money back

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: June 1, 2022, 11:17:40 am »
This is costing tui £14m just in EU cancellation compensation alone. Factor in the £8m in extra vouchers

Then there is the profit they lose on those holiday bookings.

The bigger issue from all this is holidays in 2023 will be inflated even more so they can make the 2022 money back

TUI want us to claim on our insurance but they can get stuffed, we're claiming off them.

We're booking to return to Crete when we get home, but switching to EasyJet just in case. The £1400 compo plus the money back will pay for it

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #314 on: June 2, 2022, 04:15:03 pm »
Anyone flown from Liverpool? Going on Monday, not heard any trouble from there so fingers crossed
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #315 on: June 2, 2022, 06:13:06 pm »
Unless I've got things wildly wrong, you need to:

a) Get an ESTA to go there as a tourist: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

b) Make sure to get a negative PCR Covid test less than 24 hours before flying from an official testing site. I'm using Randox and they have a couple of branches in Liverpool.

c) Have the NHS app downloaded and the travel pass on there. As far as I can tell most countries are fine with you passing through the airport for a transfer. You shouldn't need anything extra for that but best to double check if you aren't 100%.

Sorry a very belated update to this but you actually only need a supervised lateral flow within 24 hours of departure, rather than a full PCR, lots of companies do video supervision of the test pretty cheaply.

I thought the UK was expensive for groceries but a couple of weeks in California has recalibrated my expectations on that front!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: June 2, 2022, 07:05:06 pm »
Got the dreaded tui email this morning

Gutted is an understatement. Least we got 4 days more notice than most.

Now to regroup, get the EU compensation and see if it's worth a better holiday next year

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #317 on: June 2, 2022, 07:36:27 pm »
Anyone flown from Liverpool? Going on Monday, not heard any trouble from there so fingers crossed
Flew to Mallorca two weeks ago and it was a dream compared to all the Manchester horror stories. Get there 2 hours before if you have hold luggage or just over an hour before if you have hand luggage and you’ll be fine.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: June 4, 2022, 11:15:54 am »
Flew out of Manchester last Friday early morning, breezed through in about 30mins. But it was starting to get very busy after we cleared security so I'm sure those others would have a different viewpoint. Coming back was also great, only 25mins from the time we got off the plane to stepping outside.

However, it's very clear to see Manchester is a broken airport. None of the travelators or escalators were working and the toilets were repulsive. Wonder what foreign visitors must think when flying into Manchester, stepping foot into the security area to be greeted by the stench of piss.

For anyone thinking of Marrakech, I would highly recommend. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but it was a great experience with loads to do there. Very hectic city though so if you suffer from anxiety, cross it off your list.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: June 4, 2022, 11:54:31 am »
For anyone thinking of Marrakech, I would highly recommend. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but it was a great experience with loads to do there. Very hectic city though so if you suffer from anxiety, cross it off your list.
Been before and thinking of going later this year for a "lads holiday". Was it just busy cause of when you went? How is it from a Covid point of view?