Author Topic: F1 2021 (PS5 / XBX)  (Read 780 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
F1 2021 (PS5 / XBX)
« on: July 17, 2021, 08:31:16 pm »
Anyone picked this up yet?

Had it delivered yesterday. Played for an hour or so last night. Graphics are very impressive but I was also pleased to see the level of customisation possible is far beyond anything in previous editions of the game. Allows you to have total realism in the parts of the game you want but not where you don’t.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: F1 2021 (PS5 / XBX)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 08:55:18 pm »
Yeah I picked this up yesterday, said this about it in another thread

Got F1 2021 yesterday. Just started a career mode and so far it plays well. Nothing is hugely different in the gameplay sense between this and last year...however the DualSense is for me has taken my enjoyment to another level. Feeling the tension on the brakes if I'm about to lock up and the haptics when I'm putting stress on the tyres round a corner, or wheelspinning out of a corner. On top of that there's so much more range with the triggers so your able to apply throttle and brake much more finely.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 11:20:44 pm »
Something else I noticed, I’m racing in Bahrain and where you have that fast left hander that turns into the very slow left before the DRS zone - every time I braked hard I lost the back end, found myself having to adjust my brake balance front to avoid it. Don’t think I’ve ever had to adjust brake balance before. There’s a great deal of realisim / simulation if you want it

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 08:05:34 am »
Something else I noticed, I’m racing in Bahrain and where you have that fast left hander that turns into the very slow left before the DRS zone - every time I braked hard I lost the back end, found myself having to adjust my brake balance front to avoid it. Don’t think I’ve ever had to adjust brake balance before. There’s a great deal of realisim / simulation if you want it

I hate that corner. I either lock up or go wide, so now just play it safe and approach the corner more conservative. Get quite alot of wheelspin out of there so have to shortshift. I think in general this year's game has a more twitchy rear also. Another thing I noticed was the suspension values were alot different this time round. Think by default the stiffness was 8 at the front and 0 at the rear which I found strange. But I agree there's a good degree of realism.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:07:14 am by naYoRHa2b »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 07:53:12 am »
Honestly, I really don't feel that the games are realistic in the slightest and making the assessment that they are whilst playing on a controller is somewhat flawed.  AMS2, rFactor 2, ACC, iRacing and the like have pretty realistic physics, whereas the f1 games' physics are awful in my opinion.  Both Lando and Max have stated that the 'cars don't handle like cars', which is why they spend their time on iracing instead.  The f1 games can be a good bit of fun, but realistic they are not. 

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 10:54:40 am »
I've got this but - between watching all of the British GP weekend and being out & about a bit during the weekend - haven't given it a spin yet.  I tend to be a bit 'all or nothing' and so tend to end up not committing to the Career/ & World Championship modes - spend most of my time in Time Trial.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 10:50:52 am »
Honestly, I really don't feel that the games are realistic in the slightest and making the assessment that they are whilst playing on a controller is somewhat flawed.  AMS2, rFactor 2, ACC, iRacing and the like have pretty realistic physics, whereas the f1 games' physics are awful in my opinion.  Both Lando and Max have stated that the 'cars don't handle like cars', which is why they spend their time on iracing instead.  The f1 games can be a good bit of fun, but realistic they are not.

Having played F1 2019 for more than a month nearly all my spare time, what I can say is that the base physics are rather terrible in that game and most likely in the successors too. What I really love is dealing with the DRS, fuel mix and the ERS modes and those variables. However, once you update your car they start handling a lot more like real cars once the downforce comes into play. The issue is that the cars were made too slow in cornering capability. No matter if you drive a Mercedes or Ferrari and you're a proper ace in the game, you will be several seconds off Hamilton's 2019 Melbourne pole time in the game's original mode. You just don't have anything underneath you when turning and have to compensate by multiple inputs in qualifying. The AI handles really stupidly and brake tests people when you try and lap cars. In my current career I've almost or done run into Magnussen three times in about eight races due to his car always moving into my way when lapping him during braking or cornering. Hopeless stuff ;D

That being said, I think it simulates strategies, tyre wear and track evolution really well. I went from 1'37.3 to 1'36.0 at Singapore in my updated career car between FP2 and Q3 without feeling much stronger. Early in the race on mediums I was doing low 1'45s on mediums which makes sense, so the fuel load, ERS modes and tyre grip is quite well done. I'd imagine F12021 is similar.

When it comes to Bahrain, I think it comes down to experience of playing F1 games for decades. I've never had any problems with the downhill double turn myself and I can't imagine I would in F1 2021 either (I plan to buy it at a later date). You just need to be very smooth on the brake pedal and have a lot of patience. It's better to brake early and with a weaker input to maximize corner exit speed and being able to smoothly exit to preserve the tyre. Bahrain is a track I've always felt suited my smooth driving style though. One of the few new tracks that do. I'm much better in race trim than one-lap speed in that game. I can take care of mediums for really long distances if I need to. Among the other tracks I've always been quick at in any video game include Montréal, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Spa and Monza. In this game I feel very comfortable at Barcelona, the Red Bull Ring, Singapore and Abu Dhabi as well.

The combination of heavy braking and tyre management in corners where many players just fry them has always been my thing. Shanghai, Paul Ricard, Austin and Mexico are really bad layouts for me though. I just can't get my head around them! For some reason I can't get my F1 2019 car around the hairpin in Monaco properly but otherwise I've nailed that circuit.

I'm more of a Grand Prix 4 guy in general, that game really allows you to carry a lot of corner speed and the wet weather sim was a lot more realistic. Granted, those cars are way faster in race trim than the real 2001 cars were but for qualifying they're spot on.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:05:56 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 08:31:07 am »
Not going to bother making a new thread but just a point on F1 22.....

The traction control is completely fucking broke. It wasn't great in 21 but manageable, even Lando said F1 cars have more traction in real life than cars in 21' but they've gone and made it impossible to drive without TC. Of course you get YouTubers who drive with it off, obviously good for them that they can dedicate 15 hours a day to it.