Author Topic: e-scooters  (Read 31208 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: e-scooters
« Reply #80 on: April 9, 2021, 06:26:42 pm »
They already exist, but the big issue is the weight of the batteries. Harley have one called the Live Wire and an American company called Lightning do the LS-218, the 218 is its top speed in MPH. The bike weighs about 40kg more than my 1999 R1 and that kind of weight does make a sports bike handle worse, but you can guarantee the Japanese factories will get the tech sorted eventually. Cost is an issue too, as you are looking at $30,000 for the LS-218, but eventually the costs should come down.

The IOM TT e bike lap record is 121mph, that was the petrol lap record in the late 80's, its about 12/13 mph slower than a petrol bike, but still very very quick.

Yeah, I thought they might have a more limited range because bikes are smaller, and the weight/size of their batteries can't be handled as easily as on a care.

Not every bike has to be a sports bike though, so a vehicle that can top out at around 100mph and has a good range before needing a recharge seems to be quite viable. As I said, I'd be happy with a battery augmented pushbike, but if the battery makes it too heavy to pedal effectively then it's not really worth it!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: April 9, 2021, 08:12:19 pm »
I can't really comment, as I pretty much walk everywhere most days.  It takes me 45 minutes to walk into town from where I live by Dingle Lane, I'm happy to do that most days.  I wouldn't feel safe on a scooter with a backpack of heavy shopping.  I'd probably feel overbalanced.  I'd rather walk it home, or get a bus.

As a motorcyclist I am well to aware of the spinal injuries that can be caused by landing on a backpack with a laptop in it, which is why I never wore one on the bike. Imagine the damage landing on a tin of beans at 15 mph will do.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: April 9, 2021, 08:17:13 pm »
As a motorcyclist I am well to aware of the spinal injuries that can be caused by landing on a backpack with a laptop in it, which is why I never wore one on the bike. Imagine the damage landing on a tin of beans at 15 mph will do.

I shudder to think.  I really didn't consider the details, but since you painted the picture it sounds really ugly.

My balance has never been that great and in the past I've struggled on a regular push bike.  I'd feel really vulnerable on a scooter so I'll stick to my feet.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 9, 2021, 08:44:06 pm »
I shudder to think.  I really didn't consider the details, but since you painted the picture it sounds really ugly.

My balance has never been that great and in the past I've struggled on a regular push bike.  I'd feel really vulnerable on a scooter so I'll stick to my feet.

Quite a lot of riders have blamed crashes on the backpack messing up their balance, a few also said about the backpack catching and rather than slide, they rolled and suffered broken bones. If you come off at 15mph on a wet road, you can slide a fair distance, I did it as a kid falling off a bike.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 9, 2021, 09:10:25 pm »
Quite a lot of riders have blamed crashes on the backpack messing up their balance, a few also said about the backpack catching and rather than slide, they rolled and suffered broken bones. If you come off at 15mph on a wet road, you can slide a fair distance, I did it as a kid falling off a bike.

Aye, and it probably doesn't take much to knock you off.  A stiff gust of wind would probably do it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2021, 09:30:46 am »
Yet another one. This time it was so serious, it made the headlines. Most aren't, and don't.

Man rushed to hospital with serious injuries after e-scooter 'smashes into railings'

Road closures remain in place as police cordon off the area

A man was rushed to hospital after his e-scooter crashed into railings near a main road this evening.

The man in his 20s is believed to have "lost control" of the e-scooter he was riding and fell off it. No other vehicle was involved.

The incident happened at around 6pm today (Thursday) in Longmoor Lane, Fazakerley closed to Third Avenue.

The area remained closed by police today and anyone who witnessed the incident is urged to get in touch.

The black e-scooter could still be seen at the scene tonight.

Witnesses reported seeing "loads" of ambulances and police cars on the road following the incident.

A spokesperson for Merseyside police said: "We can confirm that emergency services are in Fazakerley following a serious RTC this evening, Thursday 8 April.

"At 6pm, we were called to Longmoor Lane at the junction with Third Avenue to a report of collision involving an e-scooter and railings.

"The rider of the e-scooter, a man in his 20s, has been taken to hospital by ambulance for assessment of serious injuries. No other vehicles are believed to have been involved.

"Officers remain on the scene carrying out an investigation. A road closure is in place on Longmoor Lane, at the junctions with Seeds Lane and Lower Lane. Please avoid the area."

Anyone who witnessed the incident, is asked to contact police @MerPolCC or (0151) 7775747 with reference 728.

Longmoor Lane is closed off in both directions by a cordon between Higher Lane (Emmanuel Church) and Barlows Lane (Lidl).

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/man-rushed-hospital-serious-injuries-20348018

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2021, 10:02:04 am »
I guess the question is do a higher proportion of scooter riders get injured compared to bike riders? And if so it’s worth looking at why. I’d guess a much much much less proportion wear helmets which could be an issue.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2021, 08:04:19 pm »
I guess the question is do a higher proportion of scooter riders get injured compared to bike riders? And if so it’s worth looking at why. I’d guess a much much much less proportion wear helmets which could be an issue.

I'd say so as Scooters are more likely to crash than bikes, the small wheels will be a factor in a lot of accidents, smaller wheels are very twitchy and can easily start a wobble that will cause a sudden loss of control and a crash. Lack of helmets will deffo be an issue as well, I doubt many people would even think of wearing a helmet on a scooter.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2021, 08:13:06 pm »
I probably mentioned it already, but a mate of mine has a work colleague who spent six months off work with a serious head injury after he let his gf persuade him into trying an e-scooter. Came off not far from Blacklers.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2021, 08:48:22 pm »

Would be interesting to see statistics how the accidents happened. My guess is that cyclists have a much larger proportion of accidents where it is someone else fault (getting run over by a car), whilst for scooter riders a large part will be because of them losing control over the scooter. Which I'd guess would be due to the lack of experience and easy higher speeds, as well as riding on unsuitable terrain (pavement with railings, kerbs, broken flagstones etc).
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2021, 09:06:04 am »
The scooters def don’t go quicker than a bike.

They prob are more susceptible to bumps etc due to the smaller wheels though. But the one good thing is you can often just jump off them and you’re on your feet, or put a foot down on the floor and you balance yourself.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2021, 09:45:34 am »

They prob are more susceptible to bumps etc due to the smaller wheels though. But the one good thing is you can often just jump off them and you’re on your feet, or put a foot down on the floor and you balance yourself.

I dunno, the people I see cycling tend to ride quite slowly, people who don't ride large distances tend to average 10-12 mph according to cycling websites, I'd say most people on a scooter will actually travel faster as they will just pin the throttle. I reckon a lot of people actually freeze as well when they lose control and hang on until they hit something, if you jump off at 15mph, you're going arse over tit straight away, I reckon I could hit 15mph as a teenager, I'd die trying to run that fast now.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2021, 10:23:50 am »
I dunno, the people I see cycling tend to ride quite slowly, people who don't ride large distances tend to average 10-12 mph according to cycling websites, I'd say most people on a scooter will actually travel faster as they will just pin the throttle. I reckon a lot of people actually freeze as well when they lose control and hang on until they hit something, if you jump off at 15mph, you're going arse over tit straight away, I reckon I could hit 15mph as a teenager, I'd die trying to run that fast now.

The scooters are limited to 10mph top speed, 5mph in identified pedestrian zones. So most people on bikes, ignoring the fact pretty much all rental bikes are now e-bikes, will likely match these speeds and exceed them in pedestrian zones.

Also I agree some will pin the throttle. A lot won’t though and even a slight let off makes them drop speed really quickly. The average user of these from what I’ve seen is under 30, I doubt many would have too many issues with hoping off and being able to stay on their feet.

I’ve used them a number of times now, so this is from first hand knowledge of them!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2021, 10:56:19 am »
The scooters are limited to 10mph top speed, 5mph in identified pedestrian zones. So most people on bikes, ignoring the fact pretty much all rental bikes are now e-bikes, will likely match these speeds and exceed them in pedestrian zones.

Also I agree some will pin the throttle. A lot won’t though and even a slight let off makes them drop speed really quickly. The average user of these from what I’ve seen is under 30, I doubt many would have too many issues with hoping off and being able to stay on their feet.

I’ve used them a number of times now, so this is from first hand knowledge of them!

According to the Lime website, the ones on trial in Manchester do 15 mph and can top out at 20mph. Not too sure about staying on your feet at those speeds, seen a few come a cropper as a lad when they'd jump off a moving bus, the drivers used to open the doors before the stops back in those days and you'd let it get to what you thought was a slow enough speed and jump, get it wrong and it bloody hurt.

A lot of people do panic though and won't let go out the throttle, plenty of YBF videos of people on small motorbikes crashing and holding the throttle wide open, I suspect a lot of crashes, such as the one in Fazakerley, will be where they have froze. Born again bikers (had a motorbike as a youth, bought one when 45-50) die a lot due to freezing going around bends and headbutting trees.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2021, 11:03:28 am »
According to the Lime website, the ones on trial in Manchester do 15 mph and can top out at 20mph. Not too sure about staying on your feet at those speeds, seen a few come a cropper as a lad when they'd jump off a moving bus, the drivers used to open the doors before the stops back in those days and you'd let it get to what you thought was a slow enough speed and jump, get it wrong and it bloody hurt.

These the ones being trialed in Salford? They’re limited to 12mph max and down to 6mph in pedestrian zones.

Not suggesting all will be able to simply hop off, but plenty will at slower speeds which you’re not always able to do on a bike.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2021, 11:36:13 am »

It's easy to go fast on an escooter,  you don't have to put any effort in, unlike on a push bike. Most people that ride their bikes around town don't go fast - many have bikes that are hard to ride fast in the first place, and then they often lack any sort of maintenance. I ride my bike a lot, and yes I can go faster than the scooters easily, but most people around town don't.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2021, 01:15:25 pm »
It's easy to go fast on an escooter,  you don't have to put any effort in, unlike on a push bike. Most people that ride their bikes around town don't go fast - many have bikes that are hard to ride fast in the first place, and then they often lack any sort of maintenance. I ride my bike a lot, and yes I can go faster than the scooters easily, but most people around town don't.

Shit loads are e-bikes though. Every rental bike is (which makes up a good proportion of those used in town) and many others have their own e-bikes which aren’t limited like the rental ones.

Obv the normal pedal bikes people have aren’t as easy to go fast on - but plenty do.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2021, 02:52:55 pm »
The complaints about the way these are being ridden in Manchester have already started, not sure if its the Limes or twats buying them off Ebay/Amazon that are generating the complaints, but the same thread of "riding on the pavement like twats" or "riding on the road without lights".

Why are the English such utter c*nts?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2021, 02:54:20 pm »
The complaints about the way these are being ridden in Manchester have already started, not sure if its the Limes or twats buying them off Ebay/Amazon that are generating the complaints, but the same thread of "riding on the pavement like twats" or "riding on the road without lights".

The Lime ones, if they're anything like the Voi ones, will have lights built in. The front lights are pretty bright and easily seen, but I find the back ones, because they're much lower than where you'd expect to look when in a car, are easily missed. They could do with being a lot brighter I think.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2021, 02:57:33 pm »
The Lime ones, if they're anything like the Voi ones, will have lights built in. The front lights are pretty bright and easily seen, but I find the back ones, because they're much lower than where you'd expect to look when in a car, are easily missed. They could do with being a lot brighter I think.

Its probably the black ones then.

Just seen on the Lime website that they have pavement detection and this then restricts the scooter to 5 mph, so I reckon the problem, as usual, its arsehole private owners.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2021, 03:00:17 pm »
Its probably the black ones then.

Just seen on the Lime website that they have pavement detection and this then restricts the scooter to 5 mph, so I reckon the problem, as usual, its arsehole private owners.

Yeah seen plenty of the private ones without any lights at all. Not surprising, half the Deliveroo riders I see don't even bother with lights on their bikes.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2021, 06:21:19 pm »

It's not restricted to the English believe me!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2021, 06:47:38 pm »

As usual in my observation, it's the North Face pricks that are giving e-scooters a bad rep. They seem to be the ones teararsing around the streets and pavements wearing all black and not using lights at night on privately owned scooters. There is no helping those types. They can and will abuse anything and everything they get their grubby paws on.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2021, 06:49:21 pm »
As usual in my observation, it's the North Face pricks that are giving e-scooters a bad rep. They seem to be the ones teararsing around the streets and pavements wearing all black and not using lights at night on privately owned scooters. There is no helping those types. They can and will abuse anything and everything they get their grubby paws on.

I really don't see these lot on them all that often, they're usually on ridiculously fast e-bikes (which are basically like e-motocross bikes).

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2021, 10:26:26 pm »
I really don't see these lot on them all that often, they're usually on ridiculously fast e-bikes (which are basically like e-motocross bikes).
I've seen quite a few in the north end of the city. Plenty on those bikes you mentioned too. The bikes particularly annoying when they tear through Sefton Park at ridiculous speeds. I saw a few North Face rats tearing around on e-bikes the other week in Bebington too. The twats get everywhere.

If the UK ever goes full Mad Max, I'm getting a gun and
blowing every one of the fuckers off their wheels. 😁
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2021, 12:27:25 pm »
I've seen quite a few in the north end of the city. Plenty on those bikes you mentioned too. The bikes particularly annoying when they tear through Sefton Park at ridiculous speeds. I saw a few North Face rats tearing around on e-bikes the other week in Bebington too. The twats get everywhere.

If the UK ever goes full Mad Max, I'm getting a gun and
blowing every one of the fuckers off their wheels.
😁

no need to wait for that spion lad - i'll join yer and we'll set up sniper points in local parks

bagsy first shot

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2021, 01:23:41 pm »
no need to wait for that spion lad - i'll join yer and we'll set up sniper points in local parks

bagsy first shot
I'm in. 😁

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2021, 11:30:05 am »
I've seen quite a few in the north end of the city. Plenty on those bikes you mentioned too. The bikes particularly annoying when they tear through Sefton Park at ridiculous speeds.

These do my head in, the speed of them is insane, one flew past me in sefton park, shit my pants, I screamed at the little dickhead but he was so far past me with the speed he was going he didn't get to hear any of the many, many abusive words I threw at him  ;D

Waiting for a runner/walker to get injured tripping over one of the voi scooters at night that are dumped around the park, wonder if the company would be liable for it, not that I have any ideas or anything  ;D 

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2021, 01:40:05 pm »
walking through lunt nature reserve - still closed but can walk around the outside through the paths and woods - and lo and behold what comes towards me?

a friggin e-scooter

i was on a loose gravel, stony, dirty uneven path and this guy was struggling along - to where? i don't fucking know

he looked at me and i said 'really?' and he looked blankly back at me and carried on

he was fairly smartly casually dressed - not your local scally type either

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2021, 08:36:50 pm »
Was on a bus on Renshaw Street and one of the little buggers comes from one of the sidestreets from Bold Street, straight into the traffic flow.  Didn't brake - didn't even slow down.  Just slipped around the corner into the side guttering right next to a car, before taking a fucking ramp up onto the pavement.

It's like cyclists, but worse.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2021, 09:43:55 pm »
These do my head in, the speed of them is insane, one flew past me in sefton park, shit my pants, I screamed at the little dickhead but he was so far past me with the speed he was going he didn't get to hear any of the many, many abusive words I threw at him  ;D

Waiting for a runner/walker to get injured tripping over one of the voi scooters at night that are dumped around the park, wonder if the company would be liable for it, not that I have any ideas or anything  ;D

There's loads of them around the park. Some fella turned up the other day and took 10 scooters out of a van and placed them in a row. Within no time they'd all been hired. We see the green lights on them flashing in the park at night where they've been abandoned.

You see some weirdos acting up with them too. One night some scally was trying to rag one down the road without actually hiring it. It clearly wasn't going to work, but he kept trying anyway. When he eventually gave up he just lashed it on the pavement. He then walks a bit further down the road and came across another one. This time, he decides to kick the scooter's head in before lashing it to the ground then stamped on it before walking off doing some sort of victory dance.  :rollseyes

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2021, 07:48:20 am »
There's loads of them around the park. Some fella turned up the other day and took 10 scooters out of a van and placed them in a row. Within no time they'd all been hired. We see the green lights on them flashing in the park at night where they've been abandoned.

You see some weirdos acting up with them too. One night some scally was trying to rag one down the road without actually hiring it. It clearly wasn't going to work, but he kept trying anyway. When he eventually gave up he just lashed it on the pavement. He then walks a bit further down the road and came across another one. This time, he decides to kick the scooter's head in before lashing it to the ground then stamped on it before walking off doing some sort of victory dance.  :rollseyes

remember that sniper thing we were talking about?

oh what a missed opportunity

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2021, 07:48:30 am »
He sure showed that scooter.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2021, 12:15:33 pm »

Yep. He was a prime candidate.

Sometimes I'm thinking "if only I had a machine gun handy," and that was one of those times.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2021, 12:18:53 pm »
He sure showed that scooter.
Definitely. I'm sure the scooter won't look at anyone in such a disrespectful manner in future and has learnt its lesson.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2021, 08:41:10 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 9, 2021, 10:46:35 pm »
Mobike set up in Manchester, that many bikes were stolen, smashed, thrown in the canals, etc that they gave up and pulled out. These will go the same way.
Same as Newcastle.

Absolutely loads of them shitty bikes were chucked in the Tyne.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2021, 03:21:14 pm »
Hopefully they all self destruct like this..

https://v.redd.it/srj4dzjt0ty61
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2021, 05:42:22 pm »
Have to say, the rental e-scooters seem a lot more popular than the rental bikes ever were. Or maybe that's just because they are new?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2021, 05:56:20 pm »
Have to say, the rental e-scooters seem a lot more popular than the rental bikes ever were. Or maybe that's just because they are new?

Yeah, a bit of a gimmick I guess, but then they are good to use too.