Author Topic: Bloodborne PS4  (Read 22413 times)

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bloodborne PS4
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2017, 08:27:40 pm »
you're gonna love father gasgoigne then  ;D

Gazza is pretty easy if you have the gun blocking down.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2017, 08:58:11 pm »
Gazza is pretty easy if you have the gun blocking down.

or the music box, most new players won't know where to look for it though

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2017, 09:06:35 pm »
or the music box, most new players won't know where to look for it though
'

Ahh right, forgot about that one.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2017, 11:06:10 am »
I did Father Gascoigne this morning, I used my Saw Blade and normal Pistol, SB upgraded once, Pistol not upgraded and I honestly found it so easy, lvl 22 with Vit and Stam at 16.

Plenty of doging, hit a couple times and then dodge some more, I didn't realise he was the little girls Dad until I read stuff online after, do I go back to her now and tell her I just wasted him?

First boss was way harder for me I found.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2017, 12:39:59 pm »
^ Sums up the sheer enduring brilliance of this game.

Like has been mentioned earlier, everyone has their own individual bosses that they nearly suffer multiple aneurysms trying to get past, while more or less cruising straight through others that stumped many gamers of the same skill level. The choice of weaponry, and how exactly they are then upgraded and utilised in certain conditons, is clearly extremely significant and elaborately calculated into the game design. Lots of times, simply swapping your fave hurting-tool - that you've naturally, obliviously pumped all your blood stones into levelling up - for one that you don't fancy so much but which is more suited to the task at hand, immediately has you making notable progress in a previously-insurmountable battle, and ultimately reaps dividends.

It doesn't scream it out at you, it doesn't hold your hand and tell you directly, it pretty much leaves it to you to decide to stop being so idiotically stubborn and finally try another method. There are likely also very slight, subtle statistical advantages & disadvantages to what type of build you give your character when you first create them, which unconsciously informs the way you play with them as you get used to controlling them and winning/losing specific types of fights - it's not blatantly obvious, but it's just there hiding in the numbers. So playing from scratch after completing it, but this time with a completely different sort of protagonist with a different weapon preference, can be a totally different experience to the first time out. I just love that, and it's great for roleplay purposes too; you can really get absorbed into this world, imagining for your character a fully fleshed-out life within it. The graceful gestures you can use to communicate with other invited/invading players, the consistently immesive way everyone speaks including the text messages left lying around, it's all just so boss.

Not gona lie, I breezed past Cleric Beast on my first try, but Gazza's Dad was a real fucker for me early in the game. Took a good while for me to clock precisely when to wait & bait him and when to go in close and aggressive; he battered me to death sooooo many times in that hairy tantrum mode after I'd done an expert job on him in his man-form. And of course, his poor little daughter's music box came as a nice surprise as a disarming appeal to his last dim flickerings of humanity... that has to be one of the coolest, saddest, most masterfully-integrated gameplay+story elements I've experienced in recent times - in the midst of this mad brutal dust-up, a wordless but telling insight into the loving person this bestial foe used to be, from the sheer pain and torment inflicted by the heart's bittersweet memories. It looks so cool, your dapper Hunter just strolling about partway through this graveyard fight casually cranking this mechanical music box while the beast holds his head in his hand and screams, and then you think about the tragedy of that whole mini-subplot later and feel a bit sad for him. Subtle, powerful storytelling stuff, and having it happen in your particular game experience is all about being in the know.

You're in the know, right?
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2017, 02:42:11 pm »
I did Father Gascoigne this morning, I used my Saw Blade and normal Pistol, SB upgraded once, Pistol not upgraded and I honestly found it so easy, lvl 22 with Vit and Stam at 16.

Plenty of doging, hit a couple times and then dodge some more, I didn't realise he was the little girls Dad until I read stuff online after, do I go back to her now and tell her I just wasted him?

maybe, maybe not ;D

iirc her story line has several branches depending on what areas you've unlocked & other npc's you've spoken to, there's also something on her mother's corpse that you can find straight after beating father gascoigne that more or less ends her quest line when you give it to her

like the souls games the npc's don't have your standard fetch/kill quest lines and can be affected by events elsewhere in the world which can cause changes in location, dialogue etc

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2017, 07:39:56 pm »

What do you think of Bloodborne so far? For me personally it's up there for my favorite game this generation.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2017, 08:51:22 pm »
What do you think of Bloodborne so far? For me personally it's up there for my favorite game this generation.
Masterful level design and pure challenging/punishing From gameplay (but far faster-paced and more rewarding of assertive derring-do than the caution-demanding Souls titles, so all the masochism is somehow more directly gratifying in the moment)

+

Beautiful art design, with a real weight to everything

+

A spectacular orchestral score, great crunchy fx and lovely quirky/theatrical vocal work

+

An intoxicatingly atmospheric gothic Victoriana feel to absolutely everything ('steampunk' in its very finest form, and decidedly old-fashioned British, in everything from the place names to the strict gentlemanly syntax of the messages you can leave for other adventurers)

+

Lovecraftian touches aplenty (it's way too rare a thing for horror games to directly honour someone so influential)

+

A wonderfully bizarre storyline, with a lore that seems to run fathomlessly deep, significant character events you can miss in a playthrough and multiple possible endings

+

Exquisitely fun integrated online multiplayer elements, with the element of surprise and sometimes a welcome smidgen of silliness, but still feeling completely consistent with the world - capable of inspiring dread, panic, hope, gratitude, triumphant camaraderie with strangers, thorough badassery when you single-handedly school pathetic gankers... ;D

=

A game truly worthy of being mentioned among the greatest.

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2017, 09:13:28 pm »
you forgot to mention the chalice dungeons ;)

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2017, 09:23:51 pm »
Masterful level design and pure challenging/punishing From gameplay (but far faster-paced and more rewarding of assertive derring-do than the caution-demanding Souls titles, so all the masochism is somehow more directly gratifying in the moment)

+

Beautiful art design, with a real weight to everything

+

A spectacular orchestral score, great crunchy fx and lovely quirky/theatrical vocal work

+

An intoxicatingly atmospheric gothic Victoriana feel to absolutely everything ('steampunk' in its very finest form, and decidedly old-fashioned British, in everything from the place names to the strict gentlemanly syntax of the messages you can leave for other adventurers)

+

Lovecraftian touches aplenty (it's way too rare a thing for horror games to directly honour someone so influential)

+

A wonderfully bizarre storyline, with a lore that seems to run fathomlessly deep, significant character events you can miss in a playthrough and multiple possible endings

+

Exquisitely fun integrated online multiplayer elements, with the element of surprise and sometimes a welcome smidgen of silliness, but still feeling completely consistent with the world - capable of inspiring dread, panic, hope, gratitude, triumphant camaraderie with strangers, thorough badassery when you single-handedly school pathetic gankers... ;D

=

A game truly worthy of being mentioned among the greatest.

A very good summary. I don't have too many problems with Bloodborne...

... besides the Chalice Dungeons.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2017, 09:26:09 pm »
Yeah, they're ace too, although to be fair they can get a bit repetitive if you're grinding through them all for the platinum. Fantastic idea though, to have procedurally-generated challenge areas to hack through long after the game's designed levels have become overfamiliar.

Some great unique bosses in there (and by far the hardest versions of those that also appear in the main campaign - Amygdala was a pushover for me in the Nightmare Frontier, but a fucking nightmare and a half in the dungeon). And Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen is a brilliant closer to that part of the game.

I hope they keep the servers alive forever!

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2017, 09:36:59 pm »
Favourite piece of dialogue? Mine has to be...

"This town's finished"

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2017, 08:45:42 am »

I think it's very good so far, I die a lot but I don't find it as frustrating as I thought I did because I guess I kinda expected to die a lot if you know what I mean?

This is the first game of this type I've played, never done the Souls games but the reviews for this and the chat I heard was nuts so for GOTY edition for £18 I had to buy it and it's keeping me nice and busy until ME:A

Thing I am most impressed about is the world design and the shortcuts you can create, the world feels really big and there are many routes to take, lots to explore and then you open a gate and you're back in the central area... I guess that reflects more a real world if you were exploring a city, it's got height/depth but you're still within a walking range, it's been very very well thought out!

Only done the first two bosses and the first one was tough for sure but I think I had more trouble with the Werewolves things on the bridge until I learnt to lure them into that doorway :)

Basically the way I see it is... this game is more about using your noodle, I know it is bloody and rewards aggresive play with the regain system and that but using your head seems to be the best method!

Ya, fun so far, I don't really get the story yet and I am definetely NOT part of "you're in the know, right?"  :butt :butt :butt

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2018, 04:38:45 pm »
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I’ve had my cousin who’s completed this a while back harping on at me to get this game so I did when it was free on PS plus but never got round to starting it until last night. . .

Wow! Having never played any of the Souls games before this is easily the hardest game I’ve ever played! I’ve been stuck at the same beginning section since last night until before when I finally beat Cleric Beast!

Love it!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 1, 2019, 06:46:21 pm »
Completed this since my last post.

Masterpiece.

Working my way through Chalice Dungeons and then the DLC.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #175 on: January 1, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »
Completed this since my last post.

Masterpiece.

Working my way through Chalice Dungeons and then the DLC.
How the hell did you complete it so quick? It took me an age to beat the first boss!

Such a great game though I agree.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 1, 2019, 09:43:23 pm »
How the hell did you complete it so quick? It took me an age to beat the first boss!

Such a great game though I agree.

I’ll be honest I’ve been absolutely hammering it ever since I started playing it! Really struggled with the first area and Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne but from there I’ve found it slightly easier and only struggled on a couple of more bosses.

I did go into the DLC section before I completed it and only went so far as it was absolutely solid.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #177 on: January 2, 2019, 01:37:44 pm »
I’ll be honest I’ve been absolutely hammering it ever since I started playing it! Really struggled with the first area and Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne but from there I’ve found it slightly easier and only struggled on a couple of more bosses.

I did go into the DLC section before I completed it and only went so far as it was absolutely solid.
A lot of people mention Father Gascoigne as being amongst the hardest bosses, but weirdly I beat him first time and barely got hit. Nobody talks about Darkbeast Paarl and yet that absolutely destroyed me.

I love the art design and atmosphere of the games though. They’re beautiful.

You played the Dark Souls games? I’m tempted but apparently they’re even harder...

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 2, 2019, 02:08:03 pm »
A lot of people mention Father Gascoigne as being amongst the hardest bosses, but weirdly I beat him first time and barely got hit. Nobody talks about Darkbeast Paarl and yet that absolutely destroyed me.

You played the Dark Souls games? I’m tempted but apparently they’re even harder...

That’s weird because I beat Darkbeast Paarl on my first try  ;D it’s mad how different bosses troubled different players.

Not played any of the Dark Souls games but did get Dark Souls Remastered for Christmas, won’t be jumping in straight after this though I think I need a break for a bit haha.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 6, 2019, 07:07:29 pm »

I only found Paarl today, after playing all the way through to Nightmare of Mensis. Killed him in 6-7 hits  ;D
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2019, 10:54:12 pm »
Anybody want to run through the Chalice Dungeons with me to eventually reach the queen?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 5, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »
I really want to play this and knew I'd see posters Fish77 and Living Legends in this thread.  They were about when I was reduced to tears on Dark Souls a few years ago.

'Dark Souls' is actually what is putting me off this game. I was actually loving DS but simply couldn't defeat Ornstein & Smough and it took age to get back to the fight arena to take them on again once you died.  A grown man in his 40's almost crying over a console boss level made me rethink how I was spending my free time.

Looking back I should have taken Living Legends offer of help and summoned him into my game but I was stubborn and wanted to do it alone.

Anyhow, I might tackle Bloodborne if someone can tell me the bosses are not as tough as Orn & Smough, plus if you die you can get back to the fight immediately

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 5, 2019, 01:29:39 pm »
I really want to play this and knew I'd see posters Fish77 and Living Legends in this thread.  They were about when I was reduced to tears on Dark Souls a few years ago.

'Dark Souls' is actually what is putting me off this game. I was actually loving DS but simply couldn't defeat Ornstein & Smough and it took age to get back to the fight arena to take them on again once you died.  A grown man in his 40's almost crying over a console boss level made me rethink how I was spending my free time.

Looking back I should have taken Living Legends offer of help and summoned him into my game but I was stubborn and wanted to do it alone.

Anyhow, I might tackle Bloodborne if someone can tell me the bosses are not as tough as Orn & Smough, plus if you die you can get back to the fight immediately

I’ve never played DS so I can’t help you with comparing the bosses with Bloodborne but I too was put off playing this game just from hearing how hard it is etc.

It’s now possibly the best game I’ve ever played. Once you do reach bosses you will usually have opened a shortcut or two and can reach them quickly if you die to them the first time so it doesn’t take too long to get back to them.

If you do try it and get stuck give me a summon and I’ll be more than happy to help a fellow hunter  ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 5, 2019, 01:58:28 pm »
I’ve never played DS so I can’t help you with comparing the bosses with Bloodborne but I too was put off playing this game just from hearing how hard it is etc.

It’s now possibly the best game I’ve ever played. Once you do reach bosses you will usually have opened a shortcut or two and can reach them quickly if you die to them the first time so it doesn’t take too long to get back to them.

If you do try it and get stuck give me a summon and I’ll be more than happy to help a fellow hunter  ;D

Cheers mate

Just ordered it off ebay for £12.50

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 5, 2019, 02:02:10 pm »
Cheers mate

Just ordered it off ebay for £12.50

I think you will love it mate.

Funnily enough I got Dark Souls Remastered on the PS4 for Christmas and yet to play it so I’m dreading the Ornstein & Smough boss fight already.  ;D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 5, 2019, 02:02:49 pm »
IMO there's no boss in this game that's as frustrating to fight as O&S.

There's maybe a harder boss or two in Bloodborne (DLC), but those bosses have the bonfires very close to the fog gates, and they're satisfying bosses to fight (not just to beat but actually fight) unlike the full-on retreat you have to do with O&S.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 5, 2019, 02:13:18 pm »
IMO there's no boss in this game that's as frustrating to fight as O&S.

There's maybe a harder boss or two in Bloodborne (DLC), but those bosses have the bonfires very close to the fog gates, and they're satisfying bosses to fight (not just to beat but actually fight) unlike the full-on retreat you have to do with O&S.

Sorry to hijack thread with DS chat

There was a bonfire reasonably close to O&S but the fog gate was guarded by 2 Sentinel Knights who were a real bitch to beat even before you got through to fight O&S. :no

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 5, 2019, 03:56:51 pm »
Not sure if you bought the GOTY edition or not Pete but if you never make sure you buy the DLC and don’t complete the game before you enter/play it! It takes the game up another level and is boss.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 5, 2019, 04:10:48 pm »
I didn't buy GOTY edition, should I have done?

Are you saying I should or shouldn't play the DLC Andy?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 5, 2019, 04:34:26 pm »
I didn't buy GOTY edition, should I have done?

Are you saying I should or shouldn't play the DLC Andy?

Sorry mate maybe I should have worded it better.

Deffo play the DLC but it's not your typical end-game DLC, you will reach a certain point in the standard game and then it will be best to play the DLC before you go on and complete the normal game. If you complete the standard game before playing the DLC it will then restart at the beginning of the game but on NG+ which is harder so you would have to go through the game again before reaching the DLC area.

GOTY edition just has the base game and the DLC included but you can just buy the DLC off the PS store which I did if you never bought GOTY edition.

The DLC is tremendous.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 5, 2019, 04:52:39 pm »
AH ok cool

Let us know where to start playing the DLC then please

So i can pause playing the standard game midway through and then play the DLC with my current character and all his weapons/attributes etc?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 5, 2019, 05:16:50 pm »
AH ok cool

So i can pause playing the standard game midway through and then play the DLC with my current character and all his weapons/attributes etc?

Yeah man, you’ve got loads of hours to get through before you reach that point.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 5, 2019, 07:18:46 pm »
AH ok cool

You should get into the DLC just before finishing the main game/final boss. It should be somewhat obvious when that is, but if it isn't I'll just spoiler tag the name of the boss you need to fight before doing the DLC.

Spoiler
Mergo's Wet Nurse
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 6, 2019, 12:00:37 pm »
Cheers Guys

Looking forward to playing this.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 7, 2019, 01:39:22 pm »
Cheers Guys

Looking forward to playing this.

It's arrived :)

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 7, 2019, 01:55:10 pm »
It's arrived :)

You are in for a treat my man!  :D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2019, 10:37:05 pm »
Finally Started playing tonight and the Demon Souls memories have come flooding back. Like Souls you really can’t go rushing in to battle. Great feeling when you lure a single enemy away from a pack to feel the wrath of your battleaxe :)

I’ve reached the Great Bridge in Central Yharnam and am sure there’s a lamp close. Unfortunately I was killed by a couple of Scourge Beasts (Wolf Beasts) guarding the bridge. Can Wolves and Dogs be parried?

Farmed a load of Blood Echoes earlier and upgraded my armour at Hunters Dream to The Yharnam Hunter set. Much better than the starting kit.

Lost 3000 blood echoes earlier as I thought an area was clear but I”d left an unseen lone Hunter rifleman who blew me away. Died going back to retrieve them obviously.

So much fun. Gonna have a go at beating the Brick Troll hammering on the gate. I know you can avoid him but want to test my Parry/visceral attack on a larger enemy.

Really enjoying this although not had to fight a boss yet.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:27:41 am by Buck Pete »

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2019, 01:59:51 pm »
Finally Started playing tonight and the Demon Souls memories have come flooding back. Like Souls you really can’t go rushing in to battle. Great feeling when you lure a single enemy away from a pack to feel the wrath of your battleaxe :)

I’ve reached the Great Bridge in Central Yharnam and am sure there’s a lamp close. Unfortunately I was killed by a couple of Scourge Beasts (Wolf Beasts) guarding the bridge. Can Wolves and Dogs be parried?

Farmed a load of Blood Echoes earlier and upgraded my armour at Hunters Dream to The Yharnam Hunter set. Much better than the starting kit.

Lost 3000 blood echoes earlier as I thought an area was clear but I”d left an unseen lone Hunter rifleman who blew me away. Died going back to retrieve them obviously.

So much fun. Gonna have a go at beating the Brick Troll hammering on the gate. I know you can avoid him but want to test my Parry/visceral attack on a larger enemy.

Really enjoying this although not had to fight a boss yet.

There is a lamp close to the bridge but you'll have to, erm, well find out for yourself ;D

Can't remember if the scourge beasts can be parried or not, there is a shortcut to them from the first lamp in Central Yarnham (been a while so can't remember how to open it up) where you can kite them into the doorway that's on the left side just before the bridge and deal with them there, they can't get through so it makes them pretty easy, I used to try and pull one of them down into the area where the fellas and dogs were and take them on one at a time, not too bad if you watch their attacks then just get a couple of hits in and get out, all about the endurance management

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2019, 03:50:33 pm »
The bridge werewolves are probably the biggest difficulty jump in the game IMO. Had to keep cheesing them.

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2019, 05:29:19 pm »
The bridge werewolves are probably the biggest difficulty jump in the game IMO. Had to keep cheesing them.

Spoiler
If I remember right the shortcut is opened up by killing them or if you're chicken shit sprinting past them then going down the steps on the left just before the bridge? that way you can get back to the first lamp then go back and cheese them in the doorway or avoid altogether before crossing the bridge
[close]