Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 106274 times)

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #200 on: November 3, 2014, 04:27:13 pm »
Help!

My kittens have decided to abandon their litter tray in favour of pooing in the living room. They were both using the tray fine, then the boy started weeing outside the tray next to it, then yesterday both of them pooed up in the same corner of the living room.

Why might this be and how can I deter them from doing this?

Do you have separate litter trays - one each? As they grow up, they often object to others using their tray. Make sure that you clean the trays scrupulously after each visit - cats like to be clean.

Are the trays in a secluded, low traffic area? Most cats hate being 'visible' when they do the business. It's pretty much the most vulnerable they can be. Covered trays in quiet areas are best.

Have you changed litter brand recently? Cats don't like change and they can often object to perfumed litters.

Any other changes of routine recently? I seem to recall they are new to your household? If so, invest in some calming Feliway pheromone sprays.

Make sure you clean the areas they have had the 'accidents' on very thoroughly, as any lingering odour will reinforce the idea this is there new place to go to the toilet.

Is there a cat flap of other means of ingress for a strange cat?

Are they eating well? Any change in diet?

These are the initial questions I'd look at to understand what's going on. Cats don't change their toilet routine easily, so try and understand why they feel bad about their current arrangements.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: November 4, 2014, 12:50:49 pm »
As to the hate thing.  Well.  Planting your bum on another cat's step really is the ultimate insult.  The cat equivalent of parking your tank on the lawn.  In an ideal world you and the ginger's parents would sit them down, discuss the matter and give them both a stern talking to.  Alas.  That ain't gonna happen.  So I'd stay out of it if I were you.  As Mr May was given to say "Its a cat thing". 

Yeah I think that's pretty much the case, not a lot we can do about it! He doesn't seem to get stressed by it or anything and he's a cocky bastard around other cats so it's not affecting him and it's certainly not affecting the ginger cat who is definitely the "cock" of our road in terms of the cats.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #202 on: November 4, 2014, 01:16:39 pm »
Yeah I think that's pretty much the case, not a lot we can do about it! He doesn't seem to get stressed by it or anything and he's a cocky bastard around other cats so it's not affecting him and it's certainly not affecting the ginger cat who is definitely the "cock" of our road in terms of the cats.

Yeah mate.  Best not to get involved.   ;D :D
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: November 4, 2014, 03:15:41 pm »
that's funny, our road has a ginger cat that thinks its everyones mate. it jumps in to our back garden looking to play with our two cats and be friendly, and our cats hate it, they just hiss him and stalk him cause he's on their territory. almost feel a bit sorry for him.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 5, 2014, 05:32:16 am »
that's funny, our road has a ginger cat that thinks its everyones mate. it jumps in to our back garden looking to play with our two cats and be friendly, and our cats hate it, they just hiss him and stalk him cause he's on their territory. almost feel a bit sorry for him.

Oh dear.  Perhaps you should give your two a serious talking to and point out that they are being unkind and explaining how good it is to share and peace and love and so forth.  On the other hand.........  Nah.  Best not to get involved.  Its a cat thing.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: November 5, 2014, 07:31:29 am »

So ginger hate crosses between species.

My ginger is the most relaxed animal you'll ever come across. Loves everybody and everything. Bring him to the vet and he's happy to walk around and through the legs of every dog in site. I actually believe he thinks he's a dog. Throw a beer cap across the wooden floor and he's off to fetch it and bring it back and drop in your lap.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: November 5, 2014, 10:35:46 am »
Do you have separate litter trays - one each? As they grow up, they often object to others using their tray. Make sure that you clean the trays scrupulously after each visit - cats like to be clean.

Are the trays in a secluded, low traffic area? Most cats hate being 'visible' when they do the business. It's pretty much the most vulnerable they can be. Covered trays in quiet areas are best.

Have you changed litter brand recently? Cats don't like change and they can often object to perfumed litters.

Any other changes of routine recently? I seem to recall they are new to your household? If so, invest in some calming Feliway pheromone sprays.

Make sure you clean the areas they have had the 'accidents' on very thoroughly, as any lingering odour will reinforce the idea this is there new place to go to the toilet.

Is there a cat flap of other means of ingress for a strange cat?

Are they eating well? Any change in diet?

These are the initial questions I'd look at to understand what's going on. Cats don't change their toilet routine easily, so try and understand why they feel bad about their current arrangements.

The trays are in our utility room, well away from where most people would be and very private for them. As for litter and food, we've kept them with the same they were used to before they came to us.

I know we might get the odd accident, but they seemed to be doing ok, only to revert back to messing outside the tray in the last couple of days.

We do have two trays, so one each - but our little boy seems to refuse to wee inside the tray.

I'll look into the pheromone spray though.

Thanks for the advice :)
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 7, 2014, 02:47:58 pm »
Lily is being a right pain at the moment.  She's back to being obsessed with my housemate's bedroom and will scratch and claw and meow at the door at all hours.  If she is let in she has a brief wander round, drinks some of my housemates' cat's water (we had to keep our other cat's food and water in there because Lily was stealing it) despite the fact that she has her own.

It is stressing out my housemate as it is keeping her awake plus the damage to the door.  I keep my door open so she is free to come and go as she please but as mentioned before, she's fascinated by housemate's room  : /

At 6 months old, I know she's still a kitten but getting her to settle at night is a bit of a chore - we're literally having to pester her if she tries to nap so she'll sleep through the night but she's still waking up at 5ish in the morning and being a nuisance.  She's getting tons of play, more than any other cat I've known.

Will she settle down as she gets older and how can we discourage her from scratching my housemate's door?  We've tried the usual tricks and even tried an upside down carpet runner (so the spikes are facing up) but she just sits on it : D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #208 on: November 7, 2014, 08:41:22 pm »
At 6 months old, I know she's still a kitten but getting her to settle at night is a bit of a chore - we're literally having to pester her if she tries to nap so she'll sleep through the night but she's still waking up at 5ish in the morning and being a nuisance.  She's getting tons of play, more than any other cat I've known.

Will she settle down as she gets older and how can we discourage her from scratching my housemate's door?  We've tried the usual tricks and even tried an upside down carpet runner (so the spikes are facing up) but she just sits on it : D

A half full box of tic-tacs has been our latest tool. A quick shake near him and he legs it. Give it to your house mate and see if that works. Get your cat to associate the door scratching to the tic tac shake and hopefully it'll learn

The next thing would be to look at the bowl situation. Are you giving your kitten the same food as your housemates cats? If not then maybe your kitten likes their food more than what you give yours. Try him on that cat food and keep him away from theirs.

If the food is the same maybe offer to buy your housemates food and drink bowl (offer to get your housemate a replacement).

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2014, 01:00:00 pm »
I've started keeping her in my room at night.  I've a board that I put in front of the door so she can't scratch it.  She's a bit a nuisance meowing and running around but eventually settles down.  I don't mind that really; she's my cat so I don't mind taking responsibility.

When we're all just about doing our thing, if she scratches on the door we just ignore it - absolutely no reaction whatsoever.  If she sits there and just meows, we'll let her in.  Seems to be working as she doesn't scratch for nearly as long before giving up and going in off in a huff.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 26, 2014, 10:51:29 am »
We'll it seems like we've added yet another of the little shits to our collection. Will get a pic up later. Next doors son got him only a month ago. He's moving out and his landlord doesn't allow pets. His mum is useless at looking after her own cat never mind a 3 month old kitten so she gave him to us yesterday. He's got a broken tail, which looks a bit odd at first. They named him Craig. Who the fuck calls a cat Craig?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #211 on: November 26, 2014, 12:05:10 pm »
They named him Craig. Who the fuck calls a cat Craig?
I love it personally.

Best I ever heard was a cat named Matthew. I had a fit of giggles right there and then, that kind of shit just tickles me for some reason.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 26, 2014, 12:42:27 pm »
I love it personally.

Best I ever heard was a cat named Matthew. I had a fit of giggles right there and then, that kind of shit just tickles me for some reason.

As to I.  But.  More to the point.  Who broke thoke the poor fuckers tail?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2014, 02:30:19 pm »
Hey people

Can anyone offer me some advice about biting?

A few weeks ago he started gently nibbling at our hands, so we got a spray and sprayed him every time he did it. Then he developed some more teeth and then at night he got more and more, not vicious, but excited so we started putting him out of the room for 5-10 minutes. But it continues.

Any ideas why he's doing it? Is he playing? Do cats teethe? Do he need to be neutered? Is he hungry still?

How do we make it stop?

Oh, and I also wake up with him biting my face in the mornings!

He had his last round of injections about 4 weeks ago, and they booked him in to be neutered in January.

He's a lovely, friendly adorable cat. He loves cuddles, but it seems cuddle time now turns into biting time!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2014, 03:06:37 pm »
Hey people

Can anyone offer me some advice about biting?

A few weeks ago he started gently nibbling at our hands, so we got a spray and sprayed him every time he did it. Then he developed some more teeth and then at night he got more and more, not vicious, but excited so we started putting him out of the room for 5-10 minutes. But it continues.

Any ideas why he's doing it? Is he playing? Do cats teethe? Do he need to be neutered? Is he hungry still?

How do we make it stop?

Oh, and I also wake up with him biting my face in the mornings!

He had his last round of injections about 4 weeks ago, and they booked him in to be neutered in January.

He's a lovely, friendly adorable cat. He loves cuddles, but it seems cuddle time now turns into biting time!

Having all the same problems with our cat. Its got to a point where we keep the bedroom door shut at night (though he's scratching on the door now which is equally annoying). We've had to get into the habit of really tiring him out and feeding him just before we go to sleep so he gets into a sleep pattern.

He's still young so he still thinks he's being playful. He doesn't know what he's doing is hurting you. Something that is starting to work for us is when he does get bitey we make an exaggerated OW OW OW! noise. Even if it doesn't hurt you he starts associating the noise with you being in pain and he'll stop.

Make sure he's got something else to bite on. Things like teasers that he knows he can bite instead of your hands

I'm also interested to see if there is any other advice
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:09:52 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2014, 03:23:27 pm »
Do cats teethe?

Yes!  So you will often find kittens and young cats chewing and nibbling on things as it is a relief for them.  That might not be the reason though.  Our 7 month old cat is a bit of a biter at the moment.  Nothing nasty or malicious just playful nibbles which turn to licks immediately after.  Hopefully she'll grow out of it.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2014, 04:32:06 pm »
As to I.  But.  More to the point.  Who broke thoke the poor fuckers tail?

The only thing we've been told is it happened at birth. We were told this weeks ago when the nieghbour showed him to us.

Having all the same problems with our cat. Its got to a point where we keep the bedroom door shut at night (though he's scratching on the door now which is equally annoying). We've had to get into the habit of really tiring him out and feeding him just before we go to sleep so he gets into a sleep pattern.

The new kitten has already settled in and taken to attacking the fuck out of my feet in bed at night. As I've said before, I sleep with my feet hanging out the bottom, so they all see it as free reign to have a go. I'm not taller than the bed, it's just what I've always done, so fucked if I'm going to change it now just for a cat. All 4 cats now sleep in our room. 1 on her pillow, the 2 youngest on the bed, and one on the window ledge. If the one that is missing ever returns, and the one that stays out the back and wont come in the house ever changes his mind, it'll be a fucking nightmare. I'm giving serious consideration to moving into the spare room now.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: December 1, 2014, 11:53:55 pm »
They will all follow you there - save for the pillow one.  Obviously. :wave

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: December 2, 2014, 12:31:52 am »
They will all follow you there - save for the pillow one.  Obviously. :wave

I'll entice them in and lock the furry little fuckers in there while I sneak back to my bed  :)

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: December 2, 2014, 02:19:47 am »
I'll entice them in and lock the furry little fuckers in there while I sneak back to my bed  :)

Oh yeah.  And listen to the pitiful mewllng howls.  The agonised clawing down the wardrobe door and the pathetic tip tapping of claws against the window pane.  Good luck fella. 

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: December 9, 2014, 11:57:33 pm »
So, my little fella has been under the weather recently.

He's been wheezing and coughing at night for a couple of days - sounded like a hairball at first. Last night he was bad, and then this morning from 4 until about 6 he was struggling.

Took him to the vets today, they're keeping him overnight. They reckon it's probably asthma and don't seem too concerned.

Hoping he's okay, had a rough two years and, pathetic as this sounds, him and his sister (who is still here) have been really good constants and supports. Fucking feels shit him not being about to be honest...

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2014, 10:08:08 am »

He's been wheezing and coughing at night for a couple of days - sounded like a hairball at first. Last night he was bad, and then this morning from 4 until about 6 he was struggling.

Took him to the vets today, they're keeping him overnight. They reckon it's probably asthma and don't seem too concerned.

Hoping he's okay, had a rough two years and, pathetic as this sounds, him and his sister (who is still here) have been really good constants and supports. Fucking feels shit him not being about to be honest...

Its not pathetic at all.  Its quite natural to be upset when a family member is ill.  He's in the best place for his care at the moment.  Let's know how he gets on.   :wave

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2014, 10:48:22 am »

I hope all works out. It is always horrible when they are not about, especially if you are worried. They become such a part of the fabric of our lives!

Does anyone else's cat enjoy playing 'Blink'? (AKA Grandmother's footsteps, ninja cat etc) Pushkin has developed a real taste for hunting me down across the house, and freezing every time you look at him. He looks so intense, and clearly believes he is invisible when he's frozen - his eyes completely black with the pupils so wide. It's cracking me up with laughter every time and he enjoys it so much. Once he finally get near enough to pounce, he leaps into my arms for a cuddle and then bolts off to some random locations where he can stalk me again next time he comes into view.

Mad animal.  ;D
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2014, 10:51:01 am »
I hope all works out. It is always horrible when they are not about, especially if you are worried. They become such a part of the fabric of our lives!

Does anyone else's cat enjoy playing 'Blink'? (AKA Grandmother's footsteps, ninja cat etc) Pushkin has developed a real taste for hunting me down across the house, and freezing every time you look at him. He looks so intense, and clearly believes he is invisible when he's frozen - his eyes completely black with the pupils so wide. It's cracking me up with laughter every time and he enjoys it so much. Once he finally get near enough to pounce, he leaps into my arms for a cuddle and then bolts off to some random locations where he can stalk me again next time he comes into view.

Mad animal.  ;D

Obviously a variant of -> http://theoatmeal.com/misc/frame/cat_kill
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2014, 08:47:56 pm »
Its not pathetic at all.  Its quite natural to be upset when a family member is ill.  He's in the best place for his care at the moment.  Let's know how he gets on.   :wave

Thanks. Not going to lie, pretty sure I missed him a LOT more than his sister who got to take his spot at the bottom of the bed...

He has feline asthma. Which obviously isn't great, but as long as he takes his medicine he'll basically be fine for the next decade (all being well...).

If anyone has any effing idea how to get a cat to use an inhaler then do let me know...

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2014, 09:09:33 pm »
Thanks. Not going to lie, pretty sure I missed him a LOT more than his sister who got to take his spot at the bottom of the bed...

He has feline asthma. Which obviously isn't great, but as long as he takes his medicine he'll basically be fine for the next decade (all being well...).

If anyone has any effing idea how to get a cat to use an inhaler then do let me know...

Traitor.   ;D  Has she been given the boot then?  Well that's excellent news you know.  Its liveable with and won't shorten his life.

The inhaler.  You need three people.  All wearing heavy duty protective clothing, steel gauntlets, a metal face mask and an eye protector.  You advance on the cat, seize him in padding and wrap him.  Then one keeps a firm hand on the wrapped cat, the other holds his head steady and the third puffers the inhaler.  Then you all run away like buggery while the cat struggles out of the wrapping.  Simples!!!

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2014, 11:39:07 pm »
Clearly you're an expert on feline warfare medication, my dear. :wave
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2014, 11:42:20 pm »
Clearly you're an expert on feline warfare medication, my dear. :wave

And I have the scars to prove it.   ;D

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2014, 04:40:18 am »

I've never given any of mine catnip - and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if people are taking the piss when it is mentioned and it is only found in cartoons, or if it is real - but if it is real, you could try giving him a bit to make him calm and dreamy. He wouldn't fight off the inhaler so much in that state. I'd definitely have a word with a vet and ask him first though, and if catnip is indeed only in cartoons, you could ask him if there was anything you could get to make your boy dreamy. Don't know about the cost, mind. Best of luck.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2014, 08:48:23 am »
Get a lazer pointer and tire them out whilst you watch TV - it's a god send.. Our cat bites when I provoke, but also when it gets over excited and nips in an affectionate way. A water spray is how we control ours (mainly from clawing the furniture.)

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2014, 09:48:38 am »
Everyone else's cat's go wild when its windy?
Ours has been a nutter past 2 days. Has also taken to taking run up's and slamming into the presents under the tree.
Odd behaviour for a normally 22 hours a day asleep mog! Fun though :D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 11, 2014, 09:55:34 am »
I've never given any of mine catnip - and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if people are taking the piss when it is mentioned and it is only found in cartoons, or if it is real - but if it is real, you could try giving him a bit to make him calm and dreamy. He wouldn't fight off the inhaler so much in that state. I'd definitely have a word with a vet and ask him first though, and if catnip is indeed only in cartoons, you could ask him if there was anything you could get to make your boy dreamy. Don't know about the cost, mind. Best of luck.

It certainly is real, although when we get it, it's not to make them calm and dreamy. Ours go mental when we get them a new catnip toy, or fill one of their other toys with it. They don't like eating catnip food though.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: December 11, 2014, 11:02:39 pm »
This is the big guy that stays out the back. This is as far as we can get him in the house.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:04:11 pm by Battle Cat »

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2014, 12:14:24 am »

Catnip is like a drug for cats in a Speed or Cocaine sort of way. It will excite them and not make them calm and dreamy. Getting them well fed is perhaps the best way to get them calm and dreamy....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2014, 11:02:31 am »
This is the big guy that stays out the back. This is as far as we can get him in the house.

He's a fine big lad.  And in excellent condition.  All credit to you for looking after him so well and to earn the trust of a feral so that he will come into your house at all is exceptional.  Great stuff.   :thumbup :scarf

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2014, 11:13:48 am »
He's a fine big lad.  And in excellent condition.  All credit to you for looking after him so well and to earn the trust of a feral so that he will come into your house at all is exceptional.  Great stuff.   :thumbup :scarf

Slowly but surely we're getting there. When he first started hanging around he would have bolted if we even opened the back door and he was in the bushes. His kennel is just under the kitchen window and our patio chairs are about 6 ft away from that. When we are getting his heat pad at night he'll bolt out of the kennel over to the table but he'll stay there until we put the heat pad in. This is when we put a bit of food at the door and leave it open for him but so far he hasn't come any further than that mat.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 12, 2014, 01:34:21 pm »
Slowly but surely we're getting there. When he first started hanging around he would have bolted if we even opened the back door and he was in the bushes. His kennel is just under the kitchen window and our patio chairs are about 6 ft away from that. When we are getting his heat pad at night he'll bolt out of the kennel over to the table but he'll stay there until we put the heat pad in. This is when we put a bit of food at the door and leave it open for him but so far he hasn't come any further than that mat.

A heat pad.   ;D  You are wonderfully barmy.  You remind me of me.   ;D  He is in the most marvellous nick.  A superb ginger.  But for a feral to even come indoors at all is a massive achievement and an indication of deep trust he has in you.  Great stuff. 

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2014, 06:59:53 pm »
So.

Me, the asthmatic cat (and the other one) are moving house soon.

It's probably about an hour away - anyone got any tips for taking them for the journey - or is it just a case of whack them in the basket and hope they're allright all the way to the other side?

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2014, 07:08:48 pm »
So.

Me, the asthmatic cat (and the other one) are moving house soon.

It's probably about an hour away - anyone got any tips for taking them for the journey - or is it just a case of whack them in the basket and hope they're allright all the way to the other side?

Mine were OK in the cages in the car, although they made really weird, deep, loud growling meows the whole way, the same kind of noises you hear when a tom is on the pull. I kept my fingers near the bars of the cages so they could smell me, but I don't think it did a lot of good. I spoke to them the whole way too. Pretty one-sided conversation if I'm honest.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2014, 09:17:16 pm »
Mine were OK in the cages in the car, although they made really weird, deep, loud growling meows the whole way, the same kind of noises you hear when a tom is on the pull. I kept my fingers near the bars of the cages so they could smell me, but I don't think it did a lot of good. I spoke to them the whole way too. Pretty one-sided conversation if I'm honest.

Ditto whenever I'm travelling with mine. Even dip my fingers in water so he can have a little drink.

When you do move make sure you keep them indoors for at least 2 weeks. This helps them understand that this is their new home. A friend of mine has had to go back to her old home 32 times in the last 3 years to pick up her cat.