Author Topic: Max Payne 3  (Read 11509 times)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Max Payne 3
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2012, 08:34:28 pm »
I hope it looks this good and plays well on the ps3. As no surprises the 360 is lead platform.
This mean the xbox version is better then?

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »
Too easy or?
Inconsistent at best.
The soft lock and hard lock make no discernible difference.

Just clocked it anyway and have to say I'm disappointed. Atmosphere wise it totally pales to the first game.
The only part it approaches it is the chapter in the slums.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2012, 08:27:55 am »
Does anybody know if the ability to speak Portuguese will be available as DLC soon?

I know the whole 'lost in a foreign land' feeling is intentional, and they don't want us to know what is being said, but it's very hard to adjust your mind to that when you're so used to subtitles. Missing half of the story because you're supposed to is still you missing half of the story. I really wouldn't mind being able to understand the banter and jokes that Rockstar usually fill their games with.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2012, 12:45:56 pm »
What, you bought this game and you can't even speak Portuguese?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2012, 12:47:44 pm »
Tens que falar o portugues!!

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2012, 07:55:03 pm »
Using the free aim option, mistake!

Solid to aim, died about 5 times and I'm still on chapter 1!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #86 on: June 1, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »
Don't want to drop £40 on this, but some friends have been raving about it. I saw that GR gave it a '10, incredible,' which really piqued my interest. Really that good, or wait til it's less than £30?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #87 on: June 1, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »
Don't want to drop £40 on this, but some friends have been raving about it. I saw that GR gave it a '10, incredible,' which really piqued my interest. Really that good, or wait til it's less than £30?

It's £30 now if you check hotukdeals not sure who was selling it, might have been Sainsbury's or another supermarket.  I think it's very good, graphics are great.  Not touched online yet but supposed to be a lot of fun.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 1, 2012, 07:48:45 pm »
It's £30 now if you check hotukdeals not sure who was selling it, might have been Sainsbury's or another supermarket.  I think it's very good, graphics are great.  Not touched online yet but supposed to be a lot of fun.
Thanks Walshy, I'll take a look. Rockstar rarely release a game that's below a very high level. GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and now Max Payne. That is a seriously strong line-up in terms of quality.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #89 on: June 2, 2012, 02:19:05 pm »
Enjoying this

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #90 on: June 2, 2012, 02:59:48 pm »
Feels very arcadey.

Got mine for £26 so was made up with that.

I like how the play feels like your in a constant cut-scene

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 2, 2012, 03:03:50 pm »
Feels very arcadey.

Got mine for £26 so was made up with that.

I like how the play feels like your in a constant cut-scene
Where did you get it for that from Gazza?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #93 on: June 2, 2012, 04:02:12 pm »
Got mine for £15 when I bought a new ps3
Agree about how it plays, nice production values

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
« Reply #94 on: June 3, 2012, 06:44:29 am »
I love how well optimized this game is on PC. I have a GTX 560 and an x6 AMD 1100T... not amazing but I have no problems running this game on near max settings and it looks brilliant.

Only qualms I have with the game is that it rushes you in certain areas. Max's constant moaning about "not having the time" when I'm taking in the environment and looking for golden guns. Shut the fuck up  :P
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 4, 2012, 02:19:05 pm »
Is this worth buying? Not played any of the previous Payne outings. Looks good, but I have never been a huge fan of Rockstar Games.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #97 on: June 4, 2012, 04:11:18 pm »
but I have never been a huge fan of Rockstar Games.

wut?

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #98 on: June 4, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »
Just picked this up from Tesco's whilst getting some shopping done. Had a £5 off voucher so it only cost £29.87. Came with the silent killer load out pack as well.

Nice

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 4, 2012, 06:45:35 pm »
wut?
Personal taste I guess. Never got into any of the GTA games. Waiting for Red Dead Redemption on PC. Otherwise I normally give their stuff the swerve.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 4, 2012, 10:05:10 pm »
Personal taste I guess. Never got into any of the GTA games. Waiting for Red Dead Redemption on PC. Otherwise I normally give their stuff the swerve.

Woah.

Red Dead Redemption is a must, even if you don;t like GTA that much. It's a corker, easily one of the finest games this generation.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 4, 2012, 11:26:10 pm »
Feels very arcadey.
Yes, I agree.
I'm only in chapter 2 but I seriously doubt if I like this game.
It's difficult to see when the cut scenes turn back into the game.
Bullet time rag dolls you unrealistically through the levels.
Bullet time is dangerous to use on small ledges too ... ;)

But, too early to have an overall opinion.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 5, 2012, 01:37:36 pm »
Only chapter 4 or 5. It's decent, but there are a few things pissing me off

Those fucking effects on during the cut scenes are getting on my tits, I know what they are trying to represent, but does it have to be on every cut scene, and why do words from certain conversations they are having appear on screen. Pointless and adds nothing in my opinion

Plus i think i've seen more narrative than gameplay. Either Max or his buddy is always talking during gameplay as well.

« Last Edit: June 5, 2012, 01:40:18 pm by Mr Kipling »

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 5, 2012, 10:19:50 pm »
Really getting into this now.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 6, 2012, 03:27:29 pm »
Woah.

Red Dead Redemption is a must, even if you don;t like GTA that much. It's a corker, easily one of the finest games this generation.
Yeah will have to wait till its eventually released on PC. I don't do consoles. Even though I have two Xbox's which I use as bookends...I did play it on my mates projector (PS3) and I must admit it looked awesome. I should really go back to GTA and give it another go at some point.

Another console game I'm looking forward to is Dark Souls which should be out in August.

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #105 on: June 6, 2012, 03:33:37 pm »
After loving Red Dead Redemption and being disappointed with the lack of free roaming in LA Noire I've swerved this. I might get it in a few months and play it when it's cheap.
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #106 on: June 6, 2012, 03:50:36 pm »
Another console game I'm looking forward to is Dark Souls which should be out in August.

That's coming out to the PC too, some hundred thousand petitioned and the developers took heed !
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #107 on: June 6, 2012, 10:14:02 pm »
Yeah lot of fun this. Feels more like an Uncharted than a Max Payne, but that's not a complaint :)

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 7, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »
Yeah lot of fun this. Feels more like an Uncharted than a Max Payne, but that's not a complaint :)
I've never played Uncharted so I can't comment on the similarities there, but I wouldn't say this game feels very 'Max Payne' to me either. It's difficult to put my finger on why when it is essentially the same kind of run, cover, shoot action as the series has always been. I think I'll have to put it down to the change in location and the fact that technology moved on quite dramatically between #2 and #3 compared to the advances seen between #1 and #2.

I am enjoying the game a lot though despite the change in atmosphere. But unfortunately I'm stuck in one of those gaming traps where you desperately want to finish a game but desperately want to make it last too because you know you have nothing to play once you finish.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #109 on: June 7, 2012, 01:26:22 pm »
One thing I don't like is that there is seemingly no warning when you're about to die. I keep forgetting to look at my health meter and have died a few times even though I had pills to regain health

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 7, 2012, 01:58:56 pm »
Multiplayer seems a bit clunky on this to me

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 7, 2012, 02:09:23 pm »
After loving Red Dead Redemption and being disappointed with the lack of free roaming in LA Noire I've swerved this. I might get it in a few months and play it when it's cheap.
You many have missed the point with LA Noire if that's what you were looking for. Very, very different game to the Sandboxes of GTA and Red Dead. I'd almost be tempted to suggest that you should disregard it as a sandboz game entirely, despite the size of the map. The map's large for the sake of authenticity and immersion as opposed to creating a playground for the gamer.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #112 on: June 7, 2012, 02:40:25 pm »
One thing I don't like is that there is seemingly no warning when you're about to die. I keep forgetting to look at my health meter and have died a few times even though I had pills to regain health

Depends what level you are playing on.  I am playing on hard and there is a last man standing whereby if you die and have pills, it goes into slow motion and you get the opportunity to shoot the person who "killed you".  If you do, you use pills and carry on.  You can't die if you have pills, unless you lose all your health and fail to shoot the person who "killed you.

If you have completed this and are playing through on the next level up, Last Man Standing doesn't exist. 

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
« Reply #113 on: June 9, 2012, 07:49:15 am »
I agree in that I'm disappointed this game doesn't really have the Max Payne feel to it. It is missing too many key components that made MP1 and 2 great.

Also, no dream sequences?!  :o Max is popping painkillers like it's candy and is an alcoholic. He's as fucked up in head as ever and there are no crazy nightmares / dreams to play? Shame Rockstar.
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2012, 04:46:56 pm »
Borrowed this off my mate, played it for a couple of days and gave it back, think I got to around the part when he was on a boat with the rich people and it got boarded by nutters with guns. Thought it was boring to be honest, same shit, he moans about a few things, depressed ramblings, kills a few people, rambles on again, shoot some more, etc etc. Thought it was shite to be honest. Graphics and all that were great but the game play and atmosphere was shite for me. Deffo not a patch on Payne 1 & 2
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2012, 04:49:43 pm »
I hope it looks this good and plays well on the ps3. As no surprises the 360 is lead platform.
This mean the xbox version is better then?
Still no idea what this means

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2012, 06:25:33 pm »
Borrowed this off my mate, played it for a couple of days and gave it back, think I got to around the part when he was on a boat with the rich people and it got boarded by nutters with guns. Thought it was boring to be honest, same shit, he moans about a few things, depressed ramblings, kills a few people, rambles on again, shoot some more, etc etc. Thought it was shite to be honest. Graphics and all that were great but the game play and atmosphere was shite for me. Deffo not a patch on Payne 1 & 2

This, thought it was good at first but now I just cba putting it back into the PS3.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »

Isn't that what Max Payne is about? Some moaning fucker shooting lots of guys in slow-motion? ;)

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2012, 08:30:19 pm »
Still no idea what this means

Basically they designed it with the Xbox in mind and ported it to the ps3. The ps3 is a pig to code for so it means it runs smoother/looks better on 360.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2012, 08:35:22 am »
Basically they designed it with the Xbox in mind and ported it to the ps3. The ps3 is a pig to code for so it means it runs smoother/looks better on 360.
Cheers pal, so the xbox version is 'better'. Luckily i picked it up on that :)