Author Topic: The Aussie Thread  (Read 330813 times)

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
Re: The Aussie Thread
« Reply #80 on: February 8, 2009, 07:10:27 am »
This is devastaing...65 people now confirmed dead and rising   :'(

RIP
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: February 8, 2009, 09:32:31 am »
If some of these fires are deliberately lit like they think and they catch the person/people responsible, the fuckers should be burnt alive.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: February 8, 2009, 10:33:43 am »
76 now...that's now the most ever unfortunately and they believe it will easily surpass 100.

It is horrendous.  We have a lot of smoke here but most of the fires are under control.

Does anyone remember Brian Naylor?  Used to read the news on Channel 9 in Melbourne for years?  They found his wife's body today but there is no sign of him.

Hell on earth in some parts...

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #83 on: February 8, 2009, 10:42:13 am »
Bloody hell DK (and thats what it is !) What town are you in ?

I know I carry on about being a pom but Im bloody Victorian through and through. So many of these towns Ive stopped off and had a pot and a pie....absolutley gutted  :(
« Last Edit: February 8, 2009, 10:45:30 am by Branno »
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 8, 2009, 10:49:28 am »
I am near Yarrawonga in the north east.  We are fine but you have these sick fuckers who can drop a match wherever they like and it is tinder dry here so we would stand no chance.  Everyone is pretty tense.  I have family in Gippsland who are starting to water their roof's as cinders are starting to get carried on the wind.

Is it smoky in Melbourne mate?

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #85 on: February 8, 2009, 10:55:16 am »
Strangley not even a whiff of smoke. If it wanst all over the news you would have no idea its happening an hour or so away!

My thoughts are with you (been to Yarrawonga a couple of times playing golf!) Its fucking scary stuff. I have a few days off this week and would love to go and help in the affected areas but wouldnt know where to start...take care mate !

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 8, 2009, 11:05:12 am »
Thanks mate, we'll be fine compared to the rest.

I am sure the Salvos or someone would be able to point you in the right direction.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: February 8, 2009, 11:07:31 am »
76 now...that's now the most ever unfortunately and they believe it will easily surpass 100.

It is horrendous.  We have a lot of smoke here but most of the fires are under control.

Does anyone remember Brian Naylor?  Used to read the news on Channel 9 in Melbourne for years?  They found his wife's body today but there is no sign of him.

Hell on earth in some parts...

Brian Naylor missing? Wow, used to see that guy read the news everynight when I was living in Melbourne years ago. Certainly puts a human face on it for me.

Unfortunately bushfires are always a danger living in the bush here and with the heat wave we've had it isn't surprising that these fires have sprung up, especially also when you consider we had a relatively wet year here in many parts, meaning more fuel on the ground for the fire to swell from. The fires move at a crazy speed, often as fast as the wind, can't be outrun and in many cases can't be outdriven - many victims wouldn't have known what hit them until it did. A truly horrible way to die: RIP.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 8, 2009, 11:11:29 am »
Brian Naylor missing? Wow, used to see that guy read the news everynight when I was living in Melbourne years ago. Certainly puts a human face on it for me.

Just made official now - he has died.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #89 on: February 8, 2009, 11:57:54 am »
Death toll in the eighties now, just watching on the box, must be a fuckin' night mare. Fires in the South and floods around Townsville, they've just announced that a five year old kid has been taken by a salty while playing in the floodwater, poor little thing.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #90 on: February 8, 2009, 01:15:01 pm »
Deliberately lit fires in this weather is akin to mass murder, though have to say that fires start up in this heat from any type of slant, human caused or not.

The Police have said.. they will be charged with murder...

tolls now at 84 with 20 more in intensive care..and reports are it will climb much higher when they an get into some areas.. :'(
JFT 96

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 8, 2009, 01:20:22 pm »

tolls now at 84 with 20 more in intensive care..and reports are it will climb much higher when they an get into some areas.. :'(

Good luck collecting evidence against an arsonist - the only way they'll get convictions is via a confession, I reckon. Unless the arsonist is stupid enough to set one out in the open, away from the cover of trees, where a satelite might pick them up and photo them.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #92 on: February 8, 2009, 01:29:44 pm »
Good luck collecting evidence against an arsonist - the only way they'll get convictions is via a confession, I reckon. Unless the arsonist is stupid enough to set one out in the open, away from the cover of trees, where a satelite might pick them up and photo them.

id say theres at least a dozen ppl charged each year with setting bushfires. most of them volunteer firefighters..
so while the "man in the street "thinks thered be no evidence left.. the coppers manage to get enough to prosecute..
JFT 96

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 8, 2009, 01:37:10 pm »
id say theres at least a dozen ppl charged each year with setting bushfires. most of them volunteer firefighters..
so while the "man in the street "thinks thered be no evidence left.. the coppers manage to get enough to prosecute..

It actually makes sense that arsonists would want to be volunteer firefighters as they would want to be close to fires. Remember the fellow in charge of the local bush fire-fighting unit at my old home-town was charge with arson at one stage. Obviously, not all volunteer firefighters are like that and perhaps today is not the best day to be having a go at people in the CFA.

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: February 9, 2009, 04:52:21 am »
126 dead now.
Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by wankers." Former Australian captain Laurie Daley

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #95 on: February 9, 2009, 06:37:04 am »
131 dead now, I really do hope they catch the bastard/bastards who did this.
Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by wankers." Former Australian captain Laurie Daley

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 9, 2009, 07:39:17 am »
It's shocking!  We were over there for Christmas and New Year.  Have family in Endeavour Hills and Narre Warren which I don't think have been  affected at the moment.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline lfc aussie

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #97 on: February 9, 2009, 07:53:02 am »
tragedy. I'm suppose to be playing cricket this saturday in kilmore which is fire ravaged at the moment. I cant believe what has happened. We have bushfires every year, but deaths are very uncommon. This year is almost insane. Its worst than a terrorist attack. The arsonists have to be caught. they should be treated as mass murders and sentenced to life in prision.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 9, 2009, 08:43:03 am »
Death toll now expected to rise above 200.

Fuck murder and bring back the death penalty. Kill the bastards no matter what. Burn the charlie uniform november tangos alive.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #99 on: February 9, 2009, 08:53:06 am »
So hot here today in the North Island, couldnt believe it was only 28, cant imagine how hot it is there, fucking horrible.

So very sad what has happened
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

royhendo

« Reply #100 on: February 9, 2009, 08:59:26 am »
Bloody awful this - my heart goes out to the folk there.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #101 on: February 9, 2009, 09:39:30 am »
Hope all the resident Aussies on here are ok. How is the death toll so high? Were people caught unawares or does it just spread too fast. Horrific stuff.

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #102 on: February 9, 2009, 09:46:17 am »
One bloke was putting his kids in the car to make a getaway, went back to the house to get something, when he came back the car had gone up in flames. Dreadful
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 9, 2009, 11:20:27 am »
Hope all the resident Aussies on here are ok. How is the death toll so high? Were people caught unawares or does it just spread too fast. Horrific stuff.

It was spreading too fast. People couldn't outrun it in their cars. There is also at this stage 31 different fires.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 9, 2009, 02:40:47 pm »
Seeing some of the footage makes your blood run cold.

I grew up on a farm and we used controlled burning as part of normal farming practice so we have an appreciation of how things can go wrong if the winds change.  But this is something else.  In some cases the wall of fire has been as tall as a tree and moved so quick that it has burnt the leaves but not the trunk...so you can see how people knew of fires in their area for hours, but within minutes it caught them with nowhere to go.

One guy had his fire plan in place.  Had the water pump and hose attached to his pool and was everything was ready for as soon as he saw anything.  He then said he just saw the fire come from nowhere, over his back fence, and that he did not even have time to run the 20 steps to the water pump to start it.  He just jumped in the pool and stayed underwater until it sped over and took his house.  He is one of the lucky ones!

Madness....

It is eerie here.  There is a smoke haze like a thick fog but we are safe compared to everyone else.

They will be finding bodies for weeks...

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #105 on: February 9, 2009, 05:07:58 pm »
glad your ok DK. I'm in perth at the moment for a futsal thing and everyine is wearing black armbands for it all and a minute silence before every game with a Vic team. Very sad stuff it really is. had a fire burn right up to the backfence when I was kid. I was at school but was gut renching. But this is far far worse. RIP

Also to people wanting to donate I heard its more usefull to give money as the clothing and food etc donations are chockers but anything would be usefull if you can. Also good to know cricket Australia are pitching in big time donating alot or even all the ticket takes from the one dayer.

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 9, 2009, 11:09:42 pm »
I just heard that the Federal Government is matching donations to the Red Cross dollar for dollar. I urge everyone to donate whatever they can to help these poor people. Most of them never had a chance.

Im going down to the blood bank during my lunch break today to donate some blood for the victims.

This is such a tragedy. My heart goes out to the victims and their families
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2009, 02:05:08 am »
Hope all the resident Aussies on here are ok. How is the death toll so high?

Much of Australia is in drought and has been for a long time. Add summer, then add an horrific heatwave which lasted around two weeks, get to a 47 degree day with very high winds. And finally, have some idiot(s) with a match and a "screw loose". Equals=Hell on Earth. Mass Murder.

Were people caught unawares or does it just spread too fast. Horrific stuff.
Normally, people are told to have a "fire plan", i.e what to do in the event of. You either stay at your home and take your chances, Or leave early to maybe escape the fireball coming in your direction. Many have been killed fleeing the fire, many killed who stayed put. The intensity of bushfire saw many trapped and die horrific deaths...no matter what decision they made. :'(
Death toll is now 173.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2009, 02:15:21 am »
Keep safe people , my heart goes out to you !

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2009, 02:55:01 am »
It was spreading too fast. People couldn't outrun it in their cars. There is also at this stage 31 different fires.

heard on the news in some parts the fire was travelling 70km every hour, some people only got a 2 min warning.

Offline YouthGoneWild

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2009, 03:03:31 am »
The Italian Tv said it's Australia's greatest ever natural disaster. The images I saw made me cringe and so the updates I'm reading right now on the Herald Sun. I hope that those fuckin' arsonists will get the worst punishment possible. My biggest sympathy to the Australian people and may the victims rest in peace.

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2009, 05:08:46 am »
Anyone catch Underbelly last night?

Offline historymakers:lfc

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2009, 05:09:53 am »
this is probably off topic but any sydney siders?
LFC - 86 (GD 48)
Mancs - 86 (GD 42)

Mark my words.

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2009, 05:18:36 am »

Yes and yes...

This is an unbelievable tragedy; I'm just speechless...RIP

Edit:  Police are now fearing as many as 300 may have perished...  :'(  :'(  :'(
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:20:58 am by Auspool »
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2009, 05:53:02 am »

Yeah im a Sydneysider. A Balmain boy. Yourself?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2009, 05:56:55 am »
Northern Beaches now, formerly Gladesville. 

Love Balmain.  Well, more specifically The Exchange and the pub crawl...
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2009, 08:03:30 am »

Sydney based now, Liverpool..

balmains got a few great pubs.. cricketers arms, town hall, dry dock... had a few in all of them  :wave
JFT 96

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2009, 11:19:33 am »
Anyone catch Underbelly last night?

Yeah, not as good as the first series but it's only 2 episodes in. The critics are raving about it though.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2009, 02:05:44 pm »
Did anyone see Setanta O'Halpin's dog act for Carlton the other day? Almost made me weep with joy.....

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2009, 02:41:06 pm »
The kick in the arse was a bit harsh!  Amusing though...