Author Topic: Catalan Independence  (Read 45224 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Catalan Independence
« Reply #400 on: October 19, 2017, 01:16:55 pm »
What has held Puidgemont back? Presumably it was the massive counter-demonstrations in Barcelona and the growing sense that a substantial minority, and possibly a fair majority, of his fellow Catalonians do not want separation from Spain. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: October 19, 2017, 01:43:09 pm »
What has held Puidgemont back? Presumably it was the massive counter-demonstrations in Barcelona and the growing sense that a substantial minority, and possibly a fair majority, of his fellow Catalonians do not want separation from Spain. 

All of that, plus the arrest and imprisonment of independence campaigners Jordi Sanchez (Catalan National Assembly) and Jordi Cuixart (Omnium Cultural) for sedition has probably made him realise that could face prison himself if he continues to flout the law. And the mass exodus of businesses from the region has also caused much alarm amongst the less extreme elements of the coalition and amongst the public at large. 

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #402 on: October 19, 2017, 06:51:12 pm »
Had no option in the end. Puidgemont refused to confirm (or deny) if there was an official declaration of independence and once again ignored the political process of the state and his own Catalan government. He has also upset the hardline independentistas by failing to stick to his word.

The government also has to do something to stop the flood of businesses re-registering their HQs outside of the region (around 700 at last count including 45 major contributors to the economy). Puidgemont had previously told his supporters that independence would have no negative economic effects and would actually attract more business.

Didn't really understand the last bit about the government has to do something to stop businesses re-registering their HQ's outside of the region. Are we talking about them leaving Spain, that i can understand why the government would be concerned. Or are we talking about leaving Catalunya? That i would think is a good thing for Spain and a terrible thing for Catalunya. Sorry, been following most of what you guys have written and a lot of you are really up on your history. Good reading. I just didn't understand the context here.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: October 19, 2017, 07:39:56 pm »
Didn't really understand the last bit about the government has to do something to stop businesses re-registering their HQ's outside of the region. Are we talking about them leaving Spain, that i can understand why the government would be concerned. Or are we talking about leaving Catalunya? That i would think is a good thing for Spain and a terrible thing for Catalunya. Sorry, been following most of what you guys have written and a lot of you are really up on your history. Good reading. I just didn't understand the context here.

Over 300 businesses (around 40 or 50 major ones) have re-registered outside of Catalunya as a precaution. It is not a good thing for Spain in the larger context as it will destabilise the region further and unbalance the economy. What they are seeking now is a return to stability and normality for the people in the region (and Spain in general) as soon as possible.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #404 on: October 19, 2017, 08:41:55 pm »
Had no option in the end. Puidgemont refused to confirm (or deny) if there was an official declaration of independence and once again ignored the political process of the state and his own Catalan government. He has also upset the hardline independentistas by failing to stick to his word.

The government also has to do something to stop the flood of businesses re-registering their HQs outside of the region (around 700 at last count including 45 major contributors to the economy). Puidgemont had previously told his supporters that independence would have no negative economic effects and would actually attract more business.

Someone said at a UK Parliament shindig that due to the Spanish Government and the violence  they are withdrawing any investment planned into Spain.

How many of those companies have done more than just register a Head Office address out of Catalunya? Assume no jobs have moved as of yet, and considering Catalunya is around 20% of the Spanish GDP, Spain has a lot to lose as well (and yes i know you know...).

On a side note, i said a short while ago that Banco Sabadell can fuck off... i've just pre-booked a visit to Casa Vicens in BCN (Gaudi built) that is reopening after a €5m refurb and for first time ever will be open to the public. Payment goes through Banco Sabadell, fucks sake ;)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: October 19, 2017, 09:13:02 pm »
Someone said at a UK Parliament shindig that due to the Spanish Government and the violence  they are withdrawing any investment planned into Spain.

How many of those companies have done more than just register a Head Office address out of Catalunya? Assume no jobs have moved as of yet, and considering Catalunya is around 20% of the Spanish GDP, Spain has a lot to lose as well (and yes i know you know...).

On a side note, i said a short while ago that Banco Sabadell can fuck off... i've just pre-booked a visit to Casa Vicens in BCN (Gaudi built) that is reopening after a €5m refurb and for first time ever will be open to the public. Payment goes through Banco Sabadell, fucks sake ;)

Like the name change!

No job moves have been reported yet, although there was talk of some moving in the case of independence being declared. A few companies hinted at taking staff to Valencia so they would be more familiar with the language/culture etc. than say in Madrid.

Seems to be a mix of precautionary measures to cover themselves and also sending out a message as to what might follow.

Would like to do Casa Vicens when we go up later this year - looks amazing.

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: October 19, 2017, 09:48:08 pm »
Yep, when Casa Vicens came up for sale, i was hoping for a lottery win to have it done up and opened. So glad someone put the money up.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: October 19, 2017, 09:53:28 pm »
Yep, when Casa Vicens came up for sale, i was hoping for a lottery win to have it done up and opened. So glad someone put the money up.

When you going?

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:08 pm »
When you going?

8-11 December. Booked in to Casa Vicens on 9th. Was hoping to guided tour but not on weekends and 10am on Monday too cloe to do with mid afternoon flight back to Speke.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #409 on: October 19, 2017, 10:27:32 pm »
Thanks Moz

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: October 21, 2017, 06:55:09 pm »
I'm reading that the Spanish government is going to sack the Catalan government and impose direct rule, at least until a new (more deferential?) administration is elected.

I can't see this ending well.  :-\
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: October 21, 2017, 10:02:10 pm »
Wthats the EU and it's leaders doing again? Fucking disgusting situation all around, the silence from certain people, organisations and countries is deafening.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #412 on: October 22, 2017, 01:30:13 pm »
This is what Drumpf has normalised & it will only get worse.

Don't believe your lying eyes.

Spain FM: 'Many police violence pictures fake'
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: October 24, 2017, 10:33:17 am »
This is what Drumpf has normalised & it will only get worse.

Don't believe your lying eyes.

Spain FM: 'Many police violence pictures fake'

He is an idiot.

He was referring to a few pictures circulating in the media (mainly twitter) that were actually from earlier incidents such as the miner's strike in 2012. One even had a Catalan flag photoshopped in to make it appear like it happened on October 1st. However, there were enough genuine images and footage to make them irrelevent in the overall context so he really should have either kept his mouth shut or acknowledged what happened that day.

On other note, Puidgemeont and his cronies suggested that they would declare independence on Thursday as a response to article 155. Although he has since been invited to the senate on Friday which could possibly pave the way for the delay of article 155, particularly if he offers to call new elections himself - although that is unlikely. It also appears that Puidgemeont's Romanian wife and children have travelled back to Romania, with some suggesting that he is preparing to flee the country to avoid arrest should the shit hit the fan (or perhaps attempt to establish a Tarradellas-style government-in-exile).

A couple of days ago he was on twitter promoting an article backing the complete break-up of Spain into 17 separate states and tweeting stuff about Nazis, Hitler and mentioning Franco at every opportunity. I know there are alot of people who seem to be happy for Catalonia to drive off this cliff edge, while risking the break-up of Spain and destabilising the EU, but I am not sure everyone understands what a dangerous character Puidgmeont is. How he has re-written history, lied about the economic consequences of separating, engaged in subversive propoganda and whipped up a previously content majority of Catalonians into a frenzy to suit his cause. After resisting a self-determination claim from the Basque Country for 40-odd years, despite a campaign of violence, I cannot not Spain bending an inch for this guy, but we will see. The next few days will be crucial.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: October 25, 2017, 06:30:24 pm »
Wthats the EU and it's leaders doing again? Fucking disgusting situation all around, the silence from certain people, organisations and countries is deafening.
What are the EU supposed to do? This is between the Spanish and the Catalans, who should be able to come to some agreement like civilized people do.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: October 25, 2017, 06:37:11 pm »
Don't know if any Second Captain's subscribers heard novelist Colm Tóibín on there the other day talking about Catalonia. Well worth a listen. He lived for 17 years and speaks the language and is well up on the history and culture. It was very interesting, I hadn't been aware of how different they are to the Spanish in so many ways.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: October 26, 2017, 11:46:38 am »
Significant development as Puigdemont has agreed with key coalition members of Junts pel Sí, PDECat and ERC to call regional elections. This now has to be ratified by the executives of all parties. This has pissed of the CUP anti-capitalists who are a minority part of the coalition but have been excluded from the meetings. If this goes ahead, article 155 could be halted tomorrow.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2017, 01:01:24 pm »
Apparently (according to Catalan press), Puigdemont's u-turn has come about thanks to a mediation process led by Basque President Ińigo Urkullu and a group of Catalan businessmen.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: October 26, 2017, 01:12:24 pm »
Puigdemont announcement coming soon. By the reaction of some hardcore separatists, he may have to go into hiding for a bit!

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: October 26, 2017, 01:56:28 pm »
Puigdemont statement now cancelled!

Spanish stock market yo-yoing as the circus continues
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:58:24 pm by MOZ »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: October 26, 2017, 02:01:24 pm »
Don't know if any Second Captain's subscribers heard novelist Colm Tóibín on there the other day talking about Catalonia. Well worth a listen. He lived for 17 years and speaks the language and is well up on the history and culture. It was very interesting, I hadn't been aware of how different they are to the Spanish in so many ways.

Heard a soundbite from it on their free pod, he basically described them as being like "a mix of Dutch, Swedes and Swiss personalities - good with money, don't like sleeping during the day and drinking all night, hate bullfighting and their farmers all own their own land, so they never had a peasant culture". Basically the opposite of the Spanish. Was surprised by that too! Would have quite liked to have listened to the whole thing, but not enough to pay a fiver for!

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: October 26, 2017, 04:08:38 pm »
Another u-turn - no elections. Ball now in Senate's court again.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: October 26, 2017, 04:43:34 pm »
As if things weren't weird enough in Catalonia. A group of Mossos agents have been arrested today transporting a van full of documents thought to be related to the referendum to an incinerator. Documents have now been seized.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #423 on: October 26, 2017, 07:58:22 pm »
Heard a soundbite from it on their free pod, he basically described them as being like "a mix of Dutch, Swedes and Swiss personalities - good with money, don't like sleeping during the day and drinking all night, hate bullfighting and their farmers all own their own land, so they never had a peasant culture". Basically the opposite of the Spanish. Was surprised by that too! Would have quite liked to have listened to the whole thing, but not enough to pay a fiver for!

Surely that is an argument for independence in itself?
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: October 27, 2017, 12:36:15 pm »

I dunno, maybe. In general I want less borders in the world, not more, so my completely uneducated opinion on the matter is that I don't want them to break away. I don't personally know enough specifics about Catalania/Spain to say categorically one way or the other though.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #425 on: October 27, 2017, 01:59:02 pm »
Catalan chamber to hold a vote on calling independence Opposition MPs have left the chamber.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #426 on: October 27, 2017, 02:09:38 pm »
Voting now.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #427 on: October 27, 2017, 02:16:40 pm »
This is riveting stuff :)

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: October 27, 2017, 02:16:58 pm »

No, the opinion and experiences of one man living in the region is not enough reason to declare independence. His words imply that Spaniards are bad with money, lazy and drink all night, arguments that are bordering on sterotypical bigotry that would be strongly disputed by Spaniards. He also says that Catalans hate bullfighting, conveniently forgetting that Catalonia has been bullfighting for 700 years and has some of the oldest and biggest bullrings in Spain. It has also produced some of the great toreros of all time, and they still hold bull runs and 'correbous' in many rural areas and on the Ebro Delta. 

The anti-bullfighting stance in Catalonia is a relatively new phenomenon (since the 1980s) and was partly prompted by the new-found need to reject all things seen as typically Spanish (include the siesta in this) but also by the large (and very welcome) animal welfare sentiment that exists amongst many young progressives in Spain in general. Despite that, a large number of Catalans signed the petition that resulted in bull-fighting being reinstated last year.

And speaking of rewriting history, an independentista in Catalan parliament just now has talked of undoing the 1978 regime - yes thats right, the year they moved from fascism and formed a democratic constitution is being described as a regime. That is the side of the indy movement that gets overlooked in all of this, their total rewriting of history - and it goes right down to school level.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: October 27, 2017, 02:22:22 pm »
Votes being counted now

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #430 on: October 27, 2017, 02:28:45 pm »
70 votes for 10 votes against

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: October 27, 2017, 02:30:57 pm »
Article 155 will now be invoked

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #432 on: October 27, 2017, 02:42:45 pm »
This is going to become extremely messy isn't it?

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: October 27, 2017, 02:44:10 pm »
Article 155 will now be invoked
Good.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: October 27, 2017, 02:56:43 pm »

Yep. I would imagine the voting day scenes will be nothing compared to what will come next.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #435 on: October 27, 2017, 03:07:56 pm »
Spanish senate have imposed direct rule on Catalonia.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #436 on: October 27, 2017, 03:08:57 pm »

and not a moment later...

Spanish senate have imposed direct rule on Catalonia.

Yup - Prepare for a shitstorm :(

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #437 on: October 27, 2017, 03:09:16 pm »
Was in favour of catalan having what they want when I saw the heavy handed policing, but then when I saw their reasoning was that they earned more than they recouped and didn't want to support the less prosperous parts of Spain I changed my mind.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: October 27, 2017, 03:17:33 pm »
Was in favour of catalan having what they want when I saw the heavy handed policing, but then when I saw their reasoning was that they earned more than they recouped and didn't want to support the less prosperous parts of Spain I changed my mind.
Yeah, it really seems like a bunch of elitist twats feeling entitled not to support the poor.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #439 on: October 27, 2017, 03:27:54 pm »
No, the opinion and experiences of one man living in the region is not enough reason to declare independence. His words imply that Spaniards are bad with money, lazy and drink all night, arguments that are bordering on sterotypical bigotry that would be strongly disputed by Spaniards. He also says that Catalans hate bullfighting, conveniently forgetting that Catalonia has been bullfighting for 700 years and has some of the oldest and biggest bullrings in Spain. It has also produced some of the great toreros of all time, and they still hold bull runs and 'correbous' in many rural areas and on the Ebro Delta. 
I hated that Toibin pod - I got the feeling throughout that he wasn’t really talking about Catalonia so much as grinding some axe of his own.  The thing is that although his was presumably relating to some particular angle on Irish politics, you could map most of what he was saying onto Scotland too, and it would make us sound like a pretty unattractive nation, so I came out feeling much like this:
Yeah, it really seems like a bunch of elitist twats feeling entitled not to support the poor.
Even though there’s obviously a bit more to it than that.