Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 335840 times)

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #720 on: February 5, 2011, 03:30:21 pm »
city are a work in progress, they haven't won shit.
chelsea are an established winning side, 3 prem league wins in recent years, good CL runs every season.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #721 on: February 5, 2011, 03:30:45 pm »
Questions for those still seething about Torres:

1. Do you think he would have left if we were competing at the top level?

2. Is it because he left to go to Chelsea (the only option on the table) or would you have been as angry if he went to, say, Inter Milan? (which WASNT an option)

3. What SHOULD he have said at the press conference given that Chelsea had just invested 50 million in him?

1. No. I don't think he would have left.

2. Chelsea is part of the reason why so many are so pissed. They may have been the only option now but I'm sure a load of clubs across Europe would be interested in signing him if he decided to wait until the summer.

3. I don't have a problem with what he's said.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #722 on: February 5, 2011, 03:31:13 pm »

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #723 on: February 5, 2011, 03:32:02 pm »
he'd never go to real, be like stevie g going to the mancs.

I would never say 'never' when it comes to Torres anymore. He's already proven he is not true to his word.

barca don't need him, no way would they fork out 50mil for him.
couldn't see ac or inter paying 50mil for him either.

He wouldn't likely have been sold for £50 million in the summer.

An unhappy low scoring Torres would probably have been sold for around £30 million this summer (about his right value at this moment in time because he isn't the player he was in 2008).  I would think a fair few top clubs would have been in for him in the summer.

Offline Rzeznik

• Kemlynite
  • It's gonna be Barnes...curled....BRILLIANTLY!!!!
« Reply #724 on: February 5, 2011, 03:32:57 pm »
Why not?

Because he started at Atletico Madrid. He see's them as the "enemey"

Thanks for everything Nando.....now FO

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #725 on: February 5, 2011, 03:33:35 pm »
for me its simple its a combination of people lied to him,the club was treading water ,fans were starting to criticise ,so other than a wage from the club  whats left here for him?
The funs gone out of it and he needed a change.
Add to that that the club fucked up the world cup for him and bang ...there you have it.
He has the rught to move on and we have the right to pissed off for leaving it till the last minute....or was that down to Chelsea knowing it would fuck us up a bit?.

I fuckin despair.

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: February 5, 2011, 03:34:43 pm »
Why not?

Cos he's an Atletico boy. You can say he's shown no loyalty to us but we're different to him than Atletico. Atletico is to him what Liverpool is to Stevie. Yes Stevie almost left but that was for Chelsea, not the Mancs.
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #727 on: February 5, 2011, 03:35:05 pm »
Because he started at Atletico Madrid. He see's them as the "enemey"

Thanks for everything Nando.....now FO

Yet goes to Chelsea after all he said about us and our fans....

Wouldnt of put a move to Real out of the question to be honest.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #728 on: February 5, 2011, 03:35:14 pm »
If someone had offered me Suarez and Carroll in exchange for Torres back in December I would have bit their fucking hand off

We came out better off in this deal. No doubt in my mind about that. It seems to me that it hasn't actually sunk in with some people yet. A lot of people seem to be harboring ill-will towards Torres. The reasons why he left are pretty irrelevant if you ask me. Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck. I'm sure as soon as he hobbles off clutching his groin in a blue shirt the penny will eventually drop for those still in mourning. So long Nando, thanks for the memories, but we're going onwards and upwards without you
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: February 5, 2011, 03:36:58 pm »

he swore to his grandfather on his death-bed he would stay at atleti.
he would never, ever go to real.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: February 5, 2011, 03:37:29 pm »
If someone had offered me Suarez and Carroll in exchange for Torres back in December I would have bit their fucking hand off

We came out better off in this deal. No doubt in my mind about that. It seems to me that it hasn't actually sunk in with some people yet. A lot of people seem to be harboring ill-will towards Torres. The reasons why he left are pretty irrelevant if you ask me. Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck. I'm sure as soon as he hobbles off clutching his groin in a blue shirt the penny will eventually drop for those still in mourning. So long Nando, thanks for the memories, but we're going onwards and upwards without you

well said sir.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: February 5, 2011, 03:37:29 pm »

Nor would I. If he is so desperate for success and if it doesn't work out for him at Chelsea and if Real Madrid turned the corner, looked like winning things and went in for him well I wouldn't be so sure he would reject it.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #732 on: February 5, 2011, 03:38:40 pm »
It's not the clubs fault and for sure not the fans either.
It is very much the responsibility of any top club to ensure they are doing their best on and off the pitch to position themselves for top honours season in/season out. It is also the fans' responsibility to hold the club accountable when they sit on their hands for too long (something our fanbase only woke up to in the last 2 to 3 years in my opinion).
We as fans should expect some loyalty, are you saying otherwise?
In today's game ? honestly Wendy ? dunno, but I don't expect anything in an industry that so favours players over managers and fans.

It is a sad fact of life that most top players are millionaires before they can count past 10. They can get this money playing here or elsewhere, and after a short while it just becomes a collection of zeros to most. Rather, their heads turn when they get together in internationals and like schoolboys they start to compare trophies and medals and it becomes a scenario of "come play with us you'll win loads" and "I want to be in your team, you lot are cool" etc.  (of course this is not always true, there is a 1% that stays loyal to the end, and in most cases, it's a send off to retirement with a bagful of "what might have been"s for them)

The reality is, while rival fans foam at the mouth on the terraces, Carra, Gerrard, Owen and Rooney all share a laugh or two anytime they meet in an international/lingerie party (using those players as an example of course, you can change the names around). Their world is removed from ours.

Has been for many moons.

Offline Keens

• Kopite
  • Thanks for the memories Rafa!
« Reply #733 on: February 5, 2011, 03:39:04 pm »
Spot on Billy, really don't care anymore, we need to focus on ourselves and sunderland result a good one for us. Losing is not an option tomorrow. While I think we'll see a different Torres at Chelsea, I suspect he'll find out the grass is not always greener on the other side!
"I think I have said it before, but there is no one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club....." - Kenny Dalglish

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #734 on: February 5, 2011, 03:39:30 pm »
chelsea are an established winning side, 3 prem league wins in recent years, good CL runs every season.

See your as short sighted at Torres. Thing is City project is coming only nicely and they will be in the CL next season. CL and then they will be able to attract the top stars worldwide. Wouldnt shock me if they win the CL before Chelsea do. Not sure Chelsea ever will.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: February 5, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »

Like Chelsea in 2004 then?

I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Man Utd are still around. Arsenal are getting stronger and Man City can outspend Chelsea.

The days of Chelsea being a cert for trophies are over. This is the weakest they have been since the Russian went there.

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: February 5, 2011, 03:41:23 pm »
These reasons may well be true, but the fact he moved to Chelsea regardless if they were the only offer on the table im sure there would have been more in summer.  The timing as well is a big thing which also increases the hate and dislike of Torres.

Saying that however whats done is done and it's time to move on and support our players and forget about this man.  Starting on sunday our songs should be in support of our players and manager, and this should always be the way.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: February 5, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »
See your as short sighted at Torres. Thing is City project is coming only nicely and they will be in the CL next season. CL and then they will be able to attract the top stars worldwide. Wouldnt shock me if they win the CL before Chelsea do. Not sure Chelsea ever will.

They won't. The writing is on the wall. Chelsea just aren't destined to win it. You don't get that close, fuck up and then do it. That was their best shot under Mourinho and Grant and they won't ever be that close again.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #738 on: February 5, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »
Torres has stayed loyal to Atletico and Liverpool for over a decade and has won absolutely nothing at either Club. The way his body is and his over reliance on pace he has two probably three years at the outside left at the top level.

It is very unlikely that Liverpool will be challenging at the highest level in that time and he has forced through a move to the current double winners and a team with a chance of winning three trophies this season and given Abramovich's money a real shot at trophies next season.

From a career point of view it makes sense.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #739 on: February 5, 2011, 03:43:58 pm »
They won't. The writing is on the wall. Chelsea just aren't destined to win it. You don't get that close, fuck up and then do it. That was their best shot under Mourinho and Grant and they won't ever be that close again.

Yes, because football ALWAYS follows the same script, doesn't it?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #740 on: February 5, 2011, 03:44:14 pm »

If city wanted him they would of made a move when it became clear he was leaving Liverpool.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: February 5, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »
Why none of the Italian Clubs can afford him,

How do you know that none of them would find the money if Torres would have been up for sale in the summer (though not £50 million I shouldn't think)?

Maybe even Bayern Munchen might have gone in for him? That would have been something for Torres to consider as well.

Man City certainly would and, unlike Chelsea, LFC haven't had a modern rivalry/dislike with City.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: February 5, 2011, 03:46:15 pm »
Yes, because football ALWAYS follows the same script, doesn't it?

Well it's been following the same script for Chelsea in the CL season in, season out.

Or do you have facts to tell me otherwise?

Chelsea couldn't even win the CL when they were one penalty kick away from it. If it's not their destiny to win the CL then I don't know what is.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 03:48:19 pm by Sasquatch »

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: February 5, 2011, 03:50:43 pm »

Maybe even Bayern Munchen might have gone in for him? That would have been something for Torres to consider as well.

I tried reasoning with you, I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee in fairness.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #744 on: February 5, 2011, 03:51:33 pm »
Well it's been following the same script for Chelsea in the CL season in, season out.

Or do you have facts to tell me otherwise?

Chelsea couldn't even win the CL when they were one penalty kick away from it. If it's not their destiny to win the CL then I don't know what is.

I have a fact for you

You're talking bollox

Hows that?

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: February 5, 2011, 03:53:01 pm »
I tried reasoning with you, I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee in fairness.

You didn't have any reasoning.

Your 'reasoning' was that:

A)Torres wouldn't have had more options in the summer. I don't know how anybody can think that.

B). Man City haven't got as bright a future as Chelsea. I don't know how anybody can think that.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: February 5, 2011, 03:54:03 pm »
I have a fact for you

You're talking bollox

I never knew it was bollox that Chelsea fail in the CL year in year out and have already had their best chances to win it.

When did they win it then?

Hows that?

Epic fail.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: February 5, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »
If city wanted him they would of made a move when it became clear he was leaving Liverpool.

They had already brought a forward.

As stated by many it was clear Chelsea waited until City were out of the way. City bid for Torres in the summer and would of done this summer.

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: February 5, 2011, 03:54:19 pm »
I have a fact for you

You're talking bollox

Hows that?

;D
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: February 5, 2011, 03:55:00 pm »

he's just spent 3 years with a side that's "a work in progress".
he's had enough of that.
he's thinking he's at  his peak now.
he wants to win things now, not a few years down the line.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: February 5, 2011, 03:55:19 pm »

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #751 on: February 5, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »
They had already brought a forward.

As stated by many it was clear Chelsea waited until City were out of the way. City bid for Torres in the summer and would of done this summer.

And we would have been left with a sulking center forward for the rest of the season which wouldnt be any good either.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: February 5, 2011, 03:56:08 pm »
he's had enough of that.

What are Chelsea certs to win this year then?

Prem? Nah.

Champions League? Nah.

FA Cup? Is that 'highest level'?
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 03:57:58 pm by Sasquatch »

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: February 5, 2011, 03:57:47 pm »

they're still in the CL!
what the fuck are city going to win this year?

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #754 on: February 5, 2011, 03:58:18 pm »

Their the current champions mate.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: February 5, 2011, 03:58:48 pm »
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: February 5, 2011, 03:59:30 pm »
they're still in the CL!

They are in it every year. And fail in it every year. They couldn't even win it with a stronger side than they have now.

what the fuck are city going to win this year?

Nothing. I don't think Chelsea will win anything either.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: February 5, 2011, 04:00:16 pm »
this thread is beyond daft,
fun, but daft.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: February 5, 2011, 04:00:24 pm »
Their the current champions mate.

I repeat,

What are Chelsea certs to win THIS year? They aren't as good this year as they were last year.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: February 5, 2011, 04:01:39 pm »
he's had enough of that.

City have more chance in winning things now than Chelsea do.

Whats with you and Chelsea?