Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 335741 times)

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #800 on: February 5, 2011, 05:48:08 pm »
I must agree with some other people on here. Torres is trying to rewrite history a bit and he should just be quiet now. Over time, things die down. He did some great things in a Liverpool shirt, just like Michael Owen, and that will not be forgotten. He's secured his place in Liverpool history but he's probably starting to mourn the fact that he's lost his place in Liverpool hearts forever. He's talking too much now, and sounds like he is trying to justify his move to Chelsea. I think we can all understand that he wants instant success and probably to double his pay packet. Honestly, that's fair enough. We can understand that. But he's talking too much. I can understand he must be feeling jittery now that it starts to sink in that he's left a footballing institution. Chelsea is a bit plastic - that's something he needs to reconcile himself with. But they also offer him the chance to get success NOW and Chelsea are a top club to play for - that's a fact and a good justification for moving. So that's where the chapter should end. We move on and look to the future with a quiet confidence ... I love Liverpool :)
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 05:49:49 pm by vishy01234 »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #801 on: February 5, 2011, 05:51:31 pm »
'Football is full of c*nts, and its easier to be a c*nt than it is to elevate yourself.'

Fernando Torres (largely paraphrased,) 5th February 2011

Offline Hesel

• s seashells on the seashore.... didn't get it, doesn't get it and never will get it...
  • Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #802 on: February 5, 2011, 06:05:20 pm »
What's interesting is that Torres was in a way a fall back plan when Chelsea's £25.2 bid for Lukaku was rejected.

Offline rafa4sure

• Anny Roader
« Reply #803 on: February 5, 2011, 06:16:55 pm »
I can understand people hurting right now, I'm disappointed too. But there's a lot of nonsense being spouted here. Your bitterness is clouding your judgement. Torres left because he wants some domestic trophies to show at the end of his career. He is joining one of the top clubs in Europe, who have the potential to dominate both the Premiership and Champions League in the years before he hangs up his boots.

We will not win the Premiership or Champs League in the next two years. The re-building job is too big at the moment, and Torres has said as much. So I can't begrudge him the move. Wouldn't we all want to be competing for the top honours if we were in his position?

When he first came to England he joined a club that was on the up. World Class players throughout the team. A world class manager, and new owners that seemed willing to invest in the team. And then it all went tits up. Those that backed the sacking of Rafa Benitez should now take a look at themselves rather than criticise a player who was loyal to us for longer than was expected of him, given the imploding nature of the club.

He is a world class footballer and ought to be playing for a world class team. Are we a world class team now? Fuck no, not even close!

Apparently Fernando was depressed. Is that so hard to believe? Who hasn't been depressed following Liverpool this past year?? I can certainly understand that. A player that was lied to, given broken promises. A player that was open enough to say that we needed atleast 4 or 5 top class players. A player whose manager at the time agreed with this statement. He wanted Liverpool to be up there competing with the best, for himself sure, but maybe also for the club.

So if Torres is not the villain in the piece, who is?

Well how about those two lovable Americans that nearly killed our club? How about Christian Purslow? How about Roy fucking Hodgson??

We're hurting, we're angry because we loved the guy. Maybe we expected gushing compliments, explanations from him when he left. That would have been nice, but we don't know what's going on in his head.

We'll get back to the big time I'm sure of that. I'm sure because we have a great man in Kenny Dalglish leading us with ambitious owners backing him. It's gonna take time. I just think it was time Torres didn't have.

Let's hope Fernando regrets his decision though, starting tomorrow.

« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 06:21:40 pm by rafa4sure »

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #804 on: February 5, 2011, 06:22:30 pm »
I can understand people hurting right now, I'm disappointed too. But there's a lot of nonsense being spouted here. Your bitterness is clouding your judgement. Torres left because he wants some domestic trophies to show at the end of his career. He is joining one of the top clubs in Europe, who have the potential to dominate both the Premiership and Champions League in the years before he hangs up his boots.

We will not win the Premiership or Champs League in the next two years. The re-building job is too big at the moment, and Torres has said as much. So I can't begrudge him the move. Wouldn't we all want to be competing for the top honours if we were in his position?

He joined a club that was on the up. World Class players throughout the team. A world class manager, and new owners that seemed willing to invest in the team. And then it all went tits up. Those that backed the sacking of Rafa Benitez should now take a look at themselves rather than criticise a player who was loyal to us for longer than was expected of him, given the imploding nature of the club.

He is a world class footballer and ought to be playing for a world class team. Are we a world class team now? Fuck no, not even close!

Apparently Fernando was depressed. Is that so hard to believe? Who hasn't been depressed following Liverpool this past year?? I can certainly understand that. A player that was lied to, given broken promises. A player that was open enough to say that we needed atleast 4 or 5 top class players. A player whose manager at the time agreed with this statement. He wanted Liverpool to be up there competing with the best, for himself sure, but maybe also for the club.

Well how about those two lovable Americans that nearly killed our club? How about Christian Purslow? How about Roy fucking Hodgson??

We're hurting, we're angry because we loved the guy. Maybe we expected gushing compliments, explanations from him when he left. That would have been nice, but we don't know what's going on in his head.

We'll get back to the big time I'm sure of that. I'm sure because we have a great man in Kenny Dalglish leading us with ambitious owners backing him. It's gonna take time. I just think it was time Torres didn't have.

Yup spot on there mate ...

Give it another day or two and then I think we'll be thoroughly bored and have moved on. I'm happy the Chelsea game is tomorrow as that'll help everyone move on very quickly. Just imagine if we were playing Chelsea in a month ... it would just drag on ad drag on!!
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #805 on: February 5, 2011, 06:23:48 pm »
maybe you should re-read my posts.
we were talking about why he went to chelsea, as opposed to somewhere else.
he's already got a personal fortune of about 13million, if you think he left purely for the dough, your daft.

Ever met a millionaire who didn't want more money then, clueless and naive, he doubled his wages, simple as that. He went for the money he will say it is for medals, but he isn't able to predict the future so may win fuck all with Chelsea I hope so!

As for being daft well I will defend the players here not an ex one, guess that's were we are different my loyalty is to the club your sympathy is for someone who left it suddenly, go figure!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #806 on: February 5, 2011, 06:25:28 pm »
Ever met a millionaire who didn't want more money then, clueless and naive, he doubled his wages, simple as that. He went for the money he will say it is for medals, but he isn't able to predict the future so may win fuck all with Chelsea I hope so!

As for being daft well I will defend the players here not an ex one, guess that's were we are different my loyalty is to the club your sympathy is for someone who left it suddenly, go figure!

Superfan alert :)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #807 on: February 5, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »
Superfan alert :)

no mate different and better generation than yours old school,

ok little cyber warrior!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline dimitri

• Kopite
« Reply #808 on: February 5, 2011, 06:29:26 pm »
rafa4sure, I can see where you are coming from, and you are right to an extent, but if he really had an ounce or respect/dignity he could of left at the end of the season and taken his pick where he wanted to play including CL, I'm sure the fans would of accepted it. Instead, he put it in a transfer 3 days before window close. ie: fucked us over.

In my eyes, he's nothing now - he's at the right club - drogba, terry etc.

To be honest with you, I hope this thread gets locked, it's fucking boring now - I don't give a monkeys what torres says or does anymore, he doesn't play for us, what I care about is our club and players.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: February 5, 2011, 06:29:46 pm »
no mate different and better generation than yours old school,

ok little cyber warrior!

haha :)

Offline rafa4sure

• Anny Roader
« Reply #810 on: February 5, 2011, 06:35:01 pm »
rafa4sure, I can see where you are coming from, and you are right to an extent, but if he really had an ounce or respect/dignity he could of left at the end of the season and taken his pick where he wanted to play including CL, I'm sure the fans would of accepted it. Instead, he put it in a transfer 3 days before window close. ie: fucked us over.

To be honest with you, I hope this thread gets locked, it's fucking boring now - I don't give a monkeys what torres says or does anymore, he doesn't play for us, what I care about is our club and players.

That would have been a lot easier to take, but maybe he thought the opportunity may not arise again, with the Financial Fair Play Rules coming into effect soon. Timing was awful, but I'm not sure this was all of FT's doing. Anyway we should move on yes. We've got an exciting future to look forward to. The summer should be interesting.

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #811 on: February 5, 2011, 06:50:49 pm »
rafa4sure, I can see where you are coming from, and you are right to an extent, but if he really had an ounce or respect/dignity he could of left at the end of the season and taken his pick where he wanted to play including CL
This ^. I really didn't have any ill feeling towards him when he left just disappointed that he chose to go to chelsea. Instead of doing the decent thing and thanking all Liverpool fans for their support he decided to do a Hodgson when he opened his mouth. The media are also making it worse with those sensationalist headlines in order to create more of a hype for tomorrows game.

I couldn't agree more, we've all had time to vent.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #812 on: February 5, 2011, 06:50:50 pm »
with these comments he's going deeper and deeper in shit...he lost our respect for 100%...typical rent boy really

in other hand im glad we got rid of him...he was a rat all the time and we didnt know...
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: February 5, 2011, 07:00:10 pm »
Well, now he's gone I'd put money on us winning the league and CL next season. :wave
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #814 on: February 5, 2011, 07:03:19 pm »
he's just spent 3 years with a side that's "a work in progress".
he's had enough of that.
he's thinking he's at  his peak now.
he wants to win things now, not a few years down the line.

So why has he gone to Chelsea, a team that is ageing fast, and will soon need to rebuild itself?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #815 on: February 5, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »
So why has he gone to Chelsea, a team that is ageing fast, and will soon need to rebuild itself?
How many times does it have to be said? Chelsea are the only team that could afford him, that wanted him and that we're in the CL
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #816 on: February 5, 2011, 07:11:42 pm »

Because that was when the club informed him of Chelsea's offer .... Chelsea probably waited till Man City Bought their striker so they (Chelsea) could have a free run at Torres.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: February 5, 2011, 07:13:50 pm »
The thing that strikes me about his latest comments is that he cites that "romance is dead" in football, and that we are all naive to think he was ever one of us. So, he's basically just admited that he was a liar without really saying so. He's basically admited that he has no real loyalty to any of the clubs he plays for. God help Chelsea, then. Another thing, Fernando: if romance is dead, and you play purely to just try and fill your pockets and your trophy cabinate, then why do you even bother kicking a ball in the first place? What is the point? Once upon a time, you were a child that dreamed of playing for a big football club; you had your idols that you mimicked; you wore their shirt on your back. If romance is dead in football, perhaps you could kindly tell that to every child you meet from now on who wears your shirt that you aren't playing for them, or the club they adore and dream to play for, and that you are just there for the money and a few meaningless medals - not for them!
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 07:15:34 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: February 5, 2011, 07:19:24 pm »

When he first came to England he joined a club that was on the up. World Class players throughout the team. A world class manager, and new owners that seemed willing to invest in the team. And then it all went tits up. Those that backed the sacking of Rafa Benitez should now take a look at themselves rather than criticise a player who was loyal to us for longer than was expected of him, given the imploding nature of the club.

Are Chelsea?
He handed a transfer request in, with three days of the window remaining. Mightily pissing Kenny & the fans off.
His actions can't be justified, even though his reasons can.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: February 5, 2011, 07:20:48 pm »
Because that was when the club informed him of Chelsea's offer .... Chelsea probably waited till Man City Bought their striker so they (Chelsea) could have a free run at Torres.
Liverpool told Torres immediately.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: February 5, 2011, 07:26:33 pm »
We are better off without him. No point keeping a player who wants out in the first place. So whether you feel hurt or not what hurts more is keeping him when he wants out.

Truth is we made a nice profit from letting him go, Fenway got what they wanted which is younger players who want to play for the club.

All being fair though I will laugh my arse off if he is a failure at Chelsea. :)
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #821 on: February 5, 2011, 07:34:28 pm »
can anyonen defending him answer this.

If your the owner of a company, and you get word that someone in a rival company wants out badly, and wants to come to you. They want to come to you becuase they think yhoru company will be more successfull, and also because they have fallen out with the last company.

Now the question is, would you say , yeah ok, i cans ee you desperatly want to comep here, so ill double your wages. Or would you , if they wanted out so much just offer them the same, or at best a slight increase?

The facts are players are mercinaries. Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Mcmanaman, Owen, etc etc. What do they all have in common? they all left lfc and in the process at least (sometimes more) doubled their wages.
http://www.musclefood.com/AH6059
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #822 on: February 5, 2011, 07:34:30 pm »
The thing that strikes me about his latest comments is that he cites that "romance is dead" in football, and that we are all naive to think he was ever one of us. So, he's basically just admited that he was a liar without really saying so. He's basically admited that he has no real loyalty to any of the clubs he plays for. God help Chelsea, then. Another thing, Fernando: if romance is dead, and you play purely to just try and fill your pockets and your trophy cabinate, then why do you even bother kicking a ball in the first place? What is the point? Once upon a time, you were a child that dreamed of playing for a big football club; you had your idols that you mimmicked; you wore their shirt on your back. If romance is dead in football, perhaps you could kindly tell that to every child you meet from now on who wears your shirt that you aren't playing for them, or the club they adore and dream to play for, and that you are just there for the money and a few meaningless medals.
Sigh

To understand the situation you really need to leave your personally feelings at the door.

For Torres romance probably died when he left Atletico, if not it was certainly on the wane - there at the club he supported he had the love the fans. But he was desperate to win something so he left. 
He came to a club where  amongst other things he was promised we'd compete for honors,  would win things. Hell he even took a pay cut to come here - Lest you forget  A PAYCUT, that's faith!  and thanks to G &H, Hodgson we lost lots of top players and were back in transition oh and just to remind you  he   won nowt when he was here, nothing, zip, nada, zero, zilch.

Left his club to win things and all it got was a new set of fans, well he had that at Atletico -

The romance was to have been winning things here, being hailed a hero here and eventually 'retiring' back to Atletico in the twilight of his years.

Torres plays football to score goals and win things - that's his motivation. That was clear when he came here, that's clear now. Nothing has changed. The romance was to have been winning things with a team he loved. That was denied him. I'd interpret his words as meaning - Chelsea have given me the chance to win things, but their not Atletico or Liverpool.

Finally, while every player wants to be loved, they play football either as work or for the love of achieving things. Few play football for the pure love of kicking a ball. As far as motivators go, wanting to win things is a pure as it gets.

Leaving us was always going to be messy no matter what he did, because we loved him so. For his part its clear he bought into the club as a home from home and would have stayed had G & H not messed things up. They did, and Hodgson/Purslow compounded things.  Now history was repeating itself, just like at Atletico. we were/are a team in transition with no guarantee we'll compete for things while he's in his prime. So he's gone to the only club that would pay anything near what he's worth.

Being annoyed with Torres is one thing (Kubler Ross got it spot on) but let's not forget this is possible the concluding Clusterfuck  of the mess G & H left coming to a close

Offline Shabby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: February 5, 2011, 07:34:50 pm »

Spot on.
£15m? It seems low, but what people have to remember is that the fee is irrelevant.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #824 on: February 5, 2011, 07:36:37 pm »
Liverpool told Torres immediately.
So? according to my knowledge of the time line Liverpool told Torres and went public near the end of the transfer window.  Torres put in a written request 2-3 days later.
Basically - we can argue ( true or not we don't know but definitely arguable as it fits the timeline) that the timing was down to Chelsea.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #825 on: February 5, 2011, 07:46:47 pm »

Because the owner appears to be able to pull money out of his arse for that rebuilding job?

Also there are only realistically 4 clubs who could buy him.

City
Chelsea
Madrid
Barca

Only 2 of them actually showed any genuine interest.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #826 on: February 5, 2011, 07:48:19 pm »
Personally I have no problem whatsoever with Torres:
- the fact he's an Atletico fan and honest about it makes complete sense to me and he is honest about it. What do you want him to do? To feed the illusion that players are meaningfully attached to more than one club? Hard to see how a reasonable adult could disagree with him. It would be great if some of the players that were brought up by our club, but consequently left elsewhere, had the same attitude: I can play for you and score goals, but I love only Liverpool. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever...
- the fact he left for Chelsea is fine with me as well. I would only have a problem if it were MU or Everton. The deal was good for everyone including this club. If he were to win a couple of titles with Chelsea and prevent MU along the way then great! Remember that in terms of players in-and-out this was a great deal for LiverpoolFC.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: February 5, 2011, 07:54:11 pm »
Sigh

To understand the situation you really need to leave your personally feelings at the door.

For Torres romance probably died when he left Atletico, if not it was certainly on the wane - there at the club he supported he had the love the fans. But he was desperate to win something so he left. 
He came to a club where  amongst other things he was promised we'd compete for honors,  would win things. Hell he even took a pay cut to come here - Lest you forget  A PAYCUT, that's faith!  and thanks to G &H, Hodgson we lost lots of top players and were back in transition oh and just to remind you  he   won nowt when he was here, nothing, zip, nada, zero, zilch.

Left his club to win things and all it got was a new set of fans, well he had that at Atletico -

The romance was to have been winning things here, being hailed a hero here and eventually 'retiring' back to Atletico in the twilight of his years.

Torres plays football to score goals and win things - that's his motivation. That was clear when he came here, that's clear now. Nothing has changed. The romance was to have been winning things with a team he loved. That was denied him. I'd interpret his words as meaning - Chelsea have given me the chance to win things, but their not Atletico or Liverpool.

Finally, while every player wants to be loved, they play football either as work or for the love of achieving things. Few play football for the pure love of kicking a ball. As far as motivators go, wanting to win things is a pure as it gets.

Leaving us was always going to be messy no matter what he did, because we loved him so. For his part its clear he bought into the club as a home from home and would have stayed had G & H not messed things up. They did, and Hodgson/Purslow compounded things.  Now history was repeating itself, just like at Atletico. we were/are a team in transition with no guarantee we'll compete for things while he's in his prime. So he's gone to the only club that would pay anything near what he's worth.

Being annoyed with Torres is one thing (Kubler Ross got it spot on) but let's not forget this is possible the concluding Clusterfuck  of the mess G & H left coming to a close

Personal feelings at the door? Sorry, mate - I'm talking about my personal feelings because I'm a Liverpool supporter, not an Atletico supporter. So, yeah, what he did at this club was personal to me. We built the man up, and he knocked us down.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #828 on: February 5, 2011, 08:02:44 pm »
Personal feelings at the door? Sorry, mate - I'm talking about my personal feelings because I'm a Liverpool supporter, not an Atletico supporter. So, yeah, what he did at this club was personal to me. We built the man up, and he knocked us down.
Your personal feelings are unjustified. Torres doesn't care about your feelings as much as he cares about feelings of an Atletico fan. And that is fine! He was born in Madrid and raised in that club. To expect otherwise is silly.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #829 on: February 5, 2011, 08:07:29 pm »
He could of told us he didn't care about us before we fucking gave him our unabashed support for 3 and a half years. If you think its acceptable to act like you love the fans who love you, and then essentially tell them you never actually cared after they've spent millions of pounds on your merchandise, bought their kids up to idolise you, and basically get behind you more than any other player in the squad, excusing your poor form, sulky demeanour and lack of effort, then I truly feel sorry for you.

He's basically told the Chelsea fans he doesn't give a shit about them, why didn't he do the same for us since its so clearly how he actually feels?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #830 on: February 5, 2011, 08:19:36 pm »
Your personal feelings are unjustified. Torres doesn't care about your feelings as much as he cares about feelings of an Atletico fan. And that is fine! He was born in Madrid and raised in that club. To expect otherwise is silly.
Please explain to me why my feelings towards Torres are "unjustified"? Did he, or did he not, tell us all a bunch of bollocks when he first joined this club? Did he, or did he not, say he was commited to the club and the fans? Did he, or did he not, say that Liverpool is his English club and that he would not play for anyone else in the league out of respect for the fans? Did he, or did he not LIE?

Offline Shabby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #831 on: February 5, 2011, 08:20:23 pm »
can anyonen defending him answer this.

If your the owner of a company, and you get word that someone in a rival company wants out badly, and wants to come to you. They want to come to you becuase they think yhoru company will be more successfull, and also because they have fallen out with the last company.

Now the question is, would you say , yeah ok, i cans ee you desperatly want to comep here, so ill double your wages. Or would you , if they wanted out so much just offer them the same, or at best a slight increase?

The facts are players are mercinaries. Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Mcmanaman, Owen, etc etc. What do they all have in common? they all left lfc and in the process at least (sometimes more) doubled their wages.

Footballers are no different to any other human being who makes a career move because of its high profile and better salary.

It has been happening in football for years, but this is a relatively new experience for Liverpool.

We're so used to being the team that everyone wants to play for, that top players leaving us before we are done them is a massive kick in the bollocks.

£15m? It seems low, but what people have to remember is that the fee is irrelevant.

Offline rickythered

• facedranter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 Times
« Reply #832 on: February 5, 2011, 08:20:49 pm »
Had a chance to calm down and think about things rationally now and this is how I now feel. That interview is fair enough from Torres, he feels where a few years off from competing at the very top level (which we are), and he want's to have a crack at the CL now and the prem before it's to late and feels he will have a better chance at Chelsea of doing those things while he's in his prime years. There's obviously no bitterness from our players towards him, he's just doing what he thinks is best for himself and his short career. Let's hope we can prove he made the wrong decision eh?
“The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that.” Brendan Rodger's

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #833 on: February 5, 2011, 08:21:25 pm »

He's basically told the Chelsea fans he doesn't give a shit about them, why didn't he do the same for us since its so clearly how he actually feels?
Exactly. His reputation is in tatters over this.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #834 on: February 5, 2011, 08:21:38 pm »
He was idolized not because he fraudulently led fans to believe that he loved them and loved the club. He was idolized because he was a f. inspirational player that scored goals regularly and majestically. You are silly if you think otherwise. Just think of all the players that played, and continue to play, for Liverpool that love this club (even local lads) but have no hope of ever being idolized near as much as Torres did.
As I note above
- the fact he's an Atletico fan and honest about it makes complete sense to me. What do you want him to do? To feed the illusion that players are meaningfully attached to more than one club? Hard to see how a reasonable adult could disagree with him. It would be great if some of the players that were brought up by our club, but consequently left elsewhere, had the same attitude: I can play for you and score goals, and you may idolize me because just how good I am, but my true love is Liverpool. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever...
No need for you rowan to feel sorry, just to think.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #835 on: February 5, 2011, 08:25:32 pm »
I guess it was rather his Spanish NT mates flashing their CL medals in his face... just saying.
And exactly how many of those teammates play for Chelsea?
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline miakeks

• Legacy Fan
  • Quod erat demonstrandum. :P
« Reply #836 on: February 5, 2011, 08:29:40 pm »
A bit of humour about this ;D

http://www.youtube.com/v/V5jWYrERo1A

"You weren't tempted to dip your toe into the market?"

"And spend 50 million on the sulky, sullen, spotty spawn of Rafa's eggs?"

"It's like Jamie from Hull said:"It's like purchasing a pot noodle for 20 quid two minutes before cantine closes"

"But he's a quality player!"

"HE'S A POT NOODLE!"

:lmao
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” (Voltaire, 1694 - 1778)

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #837 on: February 5, 2011, 08:29:42 pm »
I have thought. I've thought long and hard, been devestated, angry, bitter, miserable, and any number of any emotions. And I've come to the conclusion that he lied to the fans and hid his true personality behind the marketable, loyal family man persona that's plastered over countless billboards in Spain, t-shirts in the Liverpool store and posters in children's bedrooms.

Nothing you ever say will convince me that he's been honest with us and still deserves any amount of adulation. I respect the player for his ability (and there are few better,) but I can't stand the man as of a week or so ago when his manufactured identity came crumbling around him.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #838 on: February 5, 2011, 08:37:10 pm »
Please explain to me why my feelings towards Torres are "unjustified"? Did he, or did he not, tell us all a bunch of bollocks when he first joined this club? Did he, or did he not, say he was commited to the club and the fans? Did he, or did he not, say that Liverpool is his English club and that he would not play for anyone else in the league out of respect for the fans? Did he, or did he not LIE?
Oh yes, my god you are right. He LIED. His life hasn't panned out in such a way that every single statement he ever professed turned out to be true. WOW.
[I hope you see that the above is irony].

People 'lie' all the time. Mac, have you ever lied? What about Liverpool FC? Do you think that this club has ever 'lied'? How about to Fernando Torres? What do you think this club has said to Fernando Torres when he was signed? How do you think those conversations go? Anything having to do with competing at the highest level all the time, CL football and successes, ensuring a hesitant lad that his ambitions will be fullfilled?
You can go ahead and blame Torres because that is easy to do. The truth is that life is more complicated and peoples' honest dreams, aspirations and commitments often get quashed in the process. It is certainly not your fault that this club was run by some rascals in recent years that have lied through their teeth often to people you cared about very much and misrepresented and semi-destroyed the integrity of your club, putting many people you care(d) about in difficult position. It is not your fault that things did not turn out the way you feel they ought to have, so that what YOUR club promised to Torres and many other people turned out to be nonsense. You shouldn't be blamed for that, and neither should Torres. What you should do is understand and learn from what has transpired.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #839 on: February 5, 2011, 08:37:21 pm »
Because the owner appears to be able to pull money out of his arse for that rebuilding job?

Also there are only realistically 4 clubs who could buy him.

City
Chelsea
Madrid
Barca

Only 2 of them actually showed any genuine interest.
Who was the other one ?

Out if interest - do people hate McManaman, Owen, Masherano as much?