Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 584393 times)

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2011, 03:52:57 pm »
This guy made such a big deal about moving to a club to win the league and the Champions League and has done nothing to ingratiate himself with Chelsea the club, its manager, supporters, or players.  Is this some lost in translation thing or is he trying to force a move already?  How can he not realize he comes off like a complete tool with his comments?  I suppose if anyone was going to sell a 50 million pound player a year later after 25 or so appearances it would be Abramovich but I don't see that happening yet.  It took a couple years before Shevchenko was loaned out to Milan and then was gone to Kiev.

Thats what gets me. During his time at Liverpool he was always very respectful of us and never ever bad mouthed us in the media (During the Hodgson/Purslow/Hicks/Gillett era he would have had plenty of ammunition). Since he's gone to Chelsea he seems to have done nothing but pout and moan.

That says to me that his problems are mental, more than physical. Even without that extra yard of pace he was scoring goals for Hodgson's and Dalglish's Liverpool.

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2011, 03:55:42 pm »
He was never a prolific goal scorer until he joined us.
Like a lot of people have said, Rafa built a system to suit Torres and it worked.
Chelsea are never going to change their system to suit one player.

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2011, 03:56:01 pm »
A bit of a look back, but does anyone know why Rafa didn't start him every week during his first few games. Thanks.

And yes, I do feel sorry for him. I was hoping he'd crash and burn at Chelsea(and I still do), but I would hate to see him lose his entire career. Whatever has been said and done, the lad was one of us once and unlike pricks like Lawro and Redknapp, he hasn't a bad thing about the club and its fans.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2011, 03:56:15 pm »
Chelsea are never going to change their system to suit one player.

That isn't called Frank Lampard or John Terry.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2011, 03:56:22 pm »
Van Nistelrooy's goal vs Valencia - http://youtu.be/6U07IO-WFCc  I'd advise you to turn your volume down quite a lot before you click this link though!!

'mazing.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2011, 03:56:35 pm »
Trying not to drift of the thread title but Van Nistelrooy had knack of being in the right place at the right time. His anticipation skill was second to none. He didn't have to be a clinical striker to bag 20 goals a season. Torres is more clinical and score's more 'outstanding' goals but a goal is a goal whether its a tap in or a 35 yard screamer.

A really great finisher in my opinion is someone who can make a goal out of a half-chance. Van Nistelrooy, in his most successful spell during his career, used to stand in the penalty area and have Beckham, Giggs or Scholes delivering inch perfect passes to him. Given his fantastic positioning he'd just stand about three yards out and tap it in.

Torres is/was more like Fowler, able to make something out of nothing. Curl a ball in from the byline, smash it in from an acute angle, dink it over the keeper etc.

I think it's harder to finish from twenty yards out than two.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »
Chelsea will off load in january if his form doesnt improve which I dont think it will.  But the c*nts better not come knocking for our luis.

he'll never leave.... he's one of us!
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2011, 03:59:14 pm »
it is absolutely bizarre

in february i would have given 10 million to 1 that he would have scored once in his first 20 whatever it is matches for them

when he first joined us id never seen a striker like him, no obvious weakness and the complete package.

i idolised him but his move and the whole manner of it makes it hard for me to feel sorry for him

i do wonder if he regrets leaving us. i was really dying to see him and suarez upfront
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:37 pm »
he'll never leave.... he's one of us!
as Torres was, allegedly?

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2011, 04:01:08 pm »
as Torres was, allegedly?

Don't jinx it Terry, don't jinx it.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2011, 04:01:35 pm »
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2011, 04:02:08 pm »
I certainly don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. He was disrespectful to this club, and, by proxy, the fans, when he left. Fuck him.

Offline Bondred

• Wouldn't know a palindrome from an emordnilap. Hi, I'm Bond. Blames Bond.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2011, 04:03:02 pm »
He basically doesn't fit into their system at all, if they adapt their system this season to a one upfront with early balls and pace then he will be back to his best. He may score a couple with Mata supplying, but they don't exactly light up the national side as a pairing, so can't really see much difference at Chelsea.

The other main contributing factor was that Torres and Gerrard had a telepathic understanding, very much like what Cole and Yorke used to have, he will do extremely well to find another midfielder to link up that well with again in the future.

His demeanor and attitude has also changed since moving to Chelsea, he knows he has made the wrong choice.

In Spain they had a name for him, I can't recall it off the top of my head, but it translated to "bad omen" or something similar, the Atleti fans called him this because they never won anything with him in the side, as soon as he moved they won the UEFA cup and Super cup. We never won anything with him in our side, and Chelsea have yet to win anything with him in their side.
'If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2011, 04:04:22 pm »
A really great finisher in my opinion is someone who can make a goal out of a half-chance. Van Nistelrooy, in his most successful spell during his career, used to stand in the penalty area and have Beckham, Giggs or Scholes delivering inch perfect passes to him. Given his fantastic positioning he'd just stand about three yards out and tap it in.

Torres is/was more like Fowler, able to make something out of nothing. Curl a ball in from the byline, smash it in from an acute angle, dink it over the keeper etc.

I think it's harder to finish from twenty yards out than two.
I think that was more down to the way United lined up though, rather than anything about Van Nistelrooy's finishing.

You said yourself, when he was at United they had a very clear way of playing - get the ball out to Beckham/Giggs and make sure you're in the six yard box to finish the move off.

It kinda reminds me of the situation now at United. Whilst Hernandez has an undoubtedly brilliant scoring record for them, most of his goals are close range headers or near post tap in's (e.g Bolton on Saturday). That's just the way he and United play though, so i think it would be unfair to criticize his finishing because he just scores tap ins.

At Madrid, Van Nistelrooy became a much more all round player, as Madrid wanted him to do more stuff i.e come short, work the channels etc... and he more than showed he could do it, as the goals Juan posted proved. You wouldn't have seen him score that type of goal at United.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2011, 04:09:53 pm »
I wouldn't mind him back at a very low cost. It would have to be 10million or under. Did well under us and i reckon he still has it in him. Needs to be the focal point of the team and we can offer that since Suarez is fairly versatile. Anyway its never going to happen. If he leaves it'll be to Italy or back to Spain.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2011, 04:12:12 pm »
Given how he's played since leaving, I actually think he's got of easily in the media so far. A good performance for Torres used to consist of terrorizing opposition defences, nowadays people just comment that 'his movement was good' and that nobody would score with that quality of service. He's not playing for relegation candidates, he's playing for Chelsea. You can be unsuited to a team's style of play but sooner or later, when you're a supposedly world class £50m striker, you've got to do something. Concerning his attitude, Chelsea fans must be pretty aggrieved that they have to see the likes of Suarez and Aguero buzzing around and then endure another 90 minutes of sulking and complaining.

On the subject of taking him back - no chance for me. Even if he mustered some sort of resurgence, the way he left and disrespected the fans who treated him so well means that the door is permanently closed. I hate to sound petty, but I'd be happy if his level of performance continued to decline to the point where he realizes, life wasn't so bad at Anfield.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 04:16:05 pm by S »

Offline NineTails20

• Solomon's "Mrs Robinson".
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2011, 04:12:44 pm »
Last I heard, he wanted to move back to Spain. The more I see him, the more I think we did the right thing by getting shot of him when we did.
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2011, 04:13:54 pm »
If he apologises for the way he left. Would you have him back?

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2011, 04:14:56 pm »
That which enabled him to front up the likes of Vidic and then leave them for dead, is gone.

He isn't worth 50 million and we did well to get it.

The likes of Suarez would still have played him in a lot though and imo if Chelsea want the best out of him they should play him up top with Mata behind him. Unlikely though as they have five strikers on their books, three of whom expect to play every game.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »
Last I heard, he wanted to move back to Spain. The more I see him, the more I think we did the right thing by getting shot of him when we did.

Where would he go if he moved to Spain though? He wants to win titles, but he wouldnt fit at Barca, and SURELY he could never sign for Real?

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2011, 04:16:16 pm »

It was a great bit of business. One thing I guess we'll never know though is would he have been as bad if he'd have stayed?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2011, 04:17:13 pm »

No. I would like to feel sorry for him. But I cant. He fucked us over, had a dig at the club when he joined the plastics, and can rot on their bench for all I care now. He'll never be adored at another club the way he was here
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2011, 04:17:21 pm »
I know it won't go down well on here, but yes i would.

I think he made a shite decision, which he probably knows himself by now. I would bet my balls that if he could turn back time he would.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2011, 04:17:28 pm »
The Torres that rocked our world had real fight, desire and determination to succeed in a new league. Remember his hatrick against reading in the league cup and that Bikey tried to kick him off the park. Awesome display.He lost this when with us and has got worse at chelsea. He will be retired by 30 in my view and back at madrid next season.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2011, 04:18:06 pm »
One thing I guess we'll never know though is would he have been as bad if he'd have stayed?

He'd have been doing well to have had less impact than his replacement.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2011, 04:18:38 pm »
Where would he go if he moved to Spain though? He wants to win titles, but he wouldnt fit at Barca, and SURELY he could never sign for Real?

Malaga? Back to Atletico?

If he went back to Spain then I wouldn't begrudge him scoring again but for as long as he's at Chelsea I hope he continues to fail miserbale and regret his decision to leave ona  daily basis.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »

Although not our local rivals, I never thought he would have joined them twats. If he can do that to us, who knows what he's capable of. After all, his armband proved etc etc
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline NineTails20

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2011, 04:19:22 pm »
I really have no clue where he'd go to. We could add Atletico Madrid to the 'Hell No' list, can't see why they'd welcome him back with open arms.
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline TheRedBull

• 4x1=5
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2011, 04:20:45 pm »
I know this might sound a bit weird to someone but I think I fully understand what happen to him (we are Pisces men)... He is a very very sensitive guy who need a lot of love and someone to share the weight of expectation in order to do well. He got both at Liverpool (the fan and Gerrard) and thats why you could see him play with such a passion and joy at Anfield. I just don't think the atmosphere (a dressing room full of twat) at Chelsea suit him at all.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2011, 04:21:11 pm »
I really have no clue where he'd go to. We could add Atletico Madrid to the 'Hell No' list, can't see why they'd welcome him back with open arms.
Why? From what I heard Atletico fans still adore him.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2011, 04:21:42 pm »
Fernando Torres and his two years of success were the brain child of Rafa Benitez, he knew exactly how to play him - he was unstoppable. No one else, either in Spain or London has come up with the formula yet and I doubt they will.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2011, 04:21:51 pm »
I know it won't go down well on here, but yes i would.

I think he made a shite decision, which he probably knows himself by now. I would bet my balls that if he could turn back time he would.

My thoughts exactly.

Malaga? Back to Atletico?

If he went back to Spain then I wouldn't begrudge him scoring again but for as long as he's at Chelsea I hope he continues to fail miserbale and regret his decision to leave ona  daily basis.

Thought about Malaga as soon as I posted, would be a good signing for them.

Although not our local rivals, I never thought he would have joined them twats. If he can do that to us, who knows what he's capable of. After all, his armband proved etc etc

He didnt grow up a Liverpool fan though with Liverpool supporting family members. It would be like Gerrard or Carra going to United. (I'd say Everton but thats a step down)

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2011, 04:22:11 pm »
He's already said in the past he wants to play in Italy - Juventus seems like a pretty obvious destination to me.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2011, 04:22:29 pm »
Why? From what I heard Atletico fans still adore him.

I think he will end up at Malaga, as I thought he would this past summer.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline NineTails20

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2011, 04:22:40 pm »

I'd rather have chlamydia. Seriously, I don't think he could be as good as he was. Plus, I couldn't see Kenny putting up with his pouting and whinging.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2011, 04:22:56 pm »
If he goes back to Spain, I think he would only go to Atletico. He even mentioned it in the same interview.

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2011, 04:23:02 pm »
I certainly don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. He was disrespectful to this club, and, by proxy, the fans, when he left. Fuck him.

Is right, the c*nt is getting everything he deserves and long may his current form continue.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2011, 04:23:16 pm »

eh?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2011, 04:30:21 pm »
Is right, the c*nt is getting everything he deserves and long may his current form continue.

No need to call him a c*nt is there?