Author Topic: Bruno Cheyrou  (Read 83323 times)

Offline Chris M

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Does anyone else doubt Cheyrou will play for us again?
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2003, 04:41:05 pm »
It's hard to offer a true opinion on Cheyrou's ability due to his lack of first-team action , but I really can't see him breaking into the team when fit. Smicer, Le Tallec and Kewell can all play behind a front two, while I'd prefer Riise or even Murphy ahead of him as cover for Kewell at left-midfield.

I thought Cheyrou looked a hugely talented player in the friendly against Lazio, but, after nearly 18 months, it's hard to offer a pre-season game as an argument for his inclusion in the side.

A move back to France would seem suitable for a player who, judging by his less then inspiring interviews during his time at the club, simply lacks the correct attitude needed to succeed.

BTW, Tim, why do you spell the as teh so often? Not a criticism, as I'm sure you can spell the word, but it simply intrigues me. Clearly, I have too much time on my hands.  ;)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2003, 04:47:18 pm »
It's must be crap for a highly rated player like Bruno not to be able to get a game, even when he's fit. While I want to see good players at the club, it's a shame to see talent go to waste, and a return to France, where he's played successfully before, could be the best solution for the player and the club. We'll see.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2003, 05:05:38 pm »
He's never been tried for a run of games in his natural position.  From the little I've seen of him, he'd be far better in the attacking midfield position than Smicer (and how many chances does he get to shine eh? eh?), but now he's definitely going to struggle to get past Le Tallec.
A bloody shame, he's class, but he's one of them you have to change the team for - and sticking him out on the left was just fucking stupid.
But...I've yet to see someone leave us and set the world on fire (although i fully expect Anelka to) so I'll hold fire on the "what could have beens".
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Online Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2003, 05:22:23 pm »
I mean, Le Tallec's moved ahead of him now, so he'll start the Carling Cup games, so when does Bruno get a game??

le tallec seems to be right-sided, whereas cheyrou is left-sided. so he only has to get passed harry kewell...

would love to see cheyrou do well, however want richie partridge to get a game too...

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2003, 05:41:53 pm »
I dont' think he should have had a game for us in the first place.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2003, 06:18:28 pm »
Apparently he is a bit like Zidane in training.

::)

Oh by the way, I'm a bit like Bill Gates at work.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline HoullierGirl

• Anny Roader
« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2003, 06:20:33 pm »
What about when Dioufy is gone in January?
[img width= height= alt=Up Yours" border="0]http://img106.exs.cx/img106/7650/hasselhoffianrecursion3tm.gif[/img]

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2003, 06:50:38 pm »
I've always thought that if he was given a run of ten games or so playing as an attacking midfielder - through the middle - then we'd see good things from him.

But he is never going to get that luxury. Wouldn't shed any tears if he left to be honest.

Could've said the exact same thing about Vladi last season.

Although I highly doubt Cheyrou will get the chance Vladi has (finally) got.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2003, 07:50:18 pm »
Cheyrou looked okay when he started this pre-season, but really we need and we have much better than "okay".

Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline nashwan

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: November 20, 2003, 01:12:54 am »
What about when Dioufy is gone in January?

absolutely HG

if hes fit in jan then you know vladi is gonna miss some games through injury and GH aint gonna put ALT into all those games in the EPL so with EHD going away there is gonna be places to fight for

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2003, 03:01:44 am »
Cheyrou's position is very difficult. He's at best 4th, perhaps 3rd pick for roles in CM.

Behind one or two strikers;
Smicer, Kewell, Le Tallec ahead of him.

CM
Gerrard, Hamann, Murphy,....

LM
Kewell, Murphy, Smicer, Riise

I think he will get a couple of more games, but it's difficult to see how he can make the team say 5 games in a row. It's sad for Bruno, he's never had a proper chance. If he was to leave right now, nobody would notice. It's hard to argue why he should have a place in the squad. The same can be said about a few other players too. 

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2003, 11:43:47 am »
It is a shame, has shown flashes but too often you just dont notice him.

Hard to make a case for his inclusion but to be fair Vladi has had the luck of the Irish regarding his inclusion over the years....

France on loan, if not sold in Jan I reckon.
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2003, 12:42:48 pm »
I don't really think it's a shame.

The only shame in it for me is that we paid all that money for him - was it 4.75m  ??? (I'm probably wrong) and when we sell him we will be lucky to get half of that back, plus while he's been here he's probably been on good money = more money wasted. I would say all this money and he hasn't even justified himself as a useful squad player.

Injuries have been harsh on him I guess  :-\ , but he hasn't been injured all the time. A shame for him maybe that he hasn't fullfilled his talent that people say he has......

I dunno, never gonna do it for us is he. Just gonna be left in the shaddows of all the other midfielders that are now in front of him.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2003, 12:49:04 pm »
Which is why we have to get shut of him quick before his reputation diminishes any further in France. Over there he still has a good name based on what he acheived before he came here, and Lyon, Lens, Marseille or PSG are our only realistic chances of recouping £2m on the deal

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2003, 12:50:06 pm »
Or maybe Auxerre as part of another deal? (fingers crossed)

Online Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2003, 04:34:11 pm »
he got into the France squad a while ago, so he can't be all bad. plus did anyone go to the Parma pre-season game? he was s'posed to be brilliant in that game (although only a friendly).

if he gets a chance, and i'm sure he'll get a game at some point, then i hope he takes it.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2003, 04:52:17 pm »
plus did anyone go to the Parma pre-season game? he was s'posed to be brilliant in that game (although only a friendly).

It was Lazio...... yes I went and he looked ok. You've answered your own question though. It was pre-season.

Why do so many people harp back to this game? It was only ONE game for a start and it was a freindly.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2003, 05:15:36 pm »
he got into the France squad a while ago, so he can't be all bad.

One word to counter that, lebeouf.  ;D

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2003, 08:13:16 pm »
another word - Diomede.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2003, 08:15:45 pm »
What about Beef? Oh ....I see.

I think it would be folly to sell him after 18 months.

To be fair on the lad Diouf has taken 12 months to show some of what he is capable of, Cheyrou should be given the same treatment, give him a few games and lets see what he can do in the middle.

If all else fails, don't sell him, that would be ridiculous after 18 months. At worst loan him out to get games under his belt.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #220 on: November 20, 2003, 10:41:13 pm »
At the end of the day, he's what? 25/26?

And he's nowhere near the first team after 16 months at the club.

Seems to keep picking up niggling injuries at regular intervals aswell.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2003, 12:23:13 am »
To be fair on the lad Diouf has taken 12 months to show some of what he is capable of, Cheyrou should be given the same treatment

Rubbish. Diouf was showing skills much earlier. He was appreciated much sooner - by Xmas time last year I would say. can'y compare Diouf to Cheyrou.

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2003, 03:53:21 pm »
Hard to make a case for his inclusion but to be fair Vladi has had the luck of the Irish regarding his inclusion over the years....

Paddy Smicer..............surely you're confusing him with Paddy Berger.  ;D ;)

Offline Brigor Cheyaore

• Kopite
  • The Next Pires!
« Reply #223 on: November 24, 2003, 03:10:13 am »
He's never played a game for Liverpool at his natural position in an attacking side, unfair for anyone to criticise him.
Play him in the reserves on tuesday and if he's anything decent start him against Birmingham, drop Heskey and put Vladi up front, drop Murphy to the reserves, Bruno in as an attacking midfielder.
RAWK Fantasy Baseball 2006 Champion!

Offline redpanic

• Kopite
« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2003, 10:56:56 am »
imo he's shown absolutely nothing when he's played

whether he's been played in his preferred position or not, players usually show you some skills or talents, i honestly can't remember him influencing even an attacking move nevermind a half of football.

i'm sure the management / coaching team would have given him opportunities if he was pressing for a place.

i've felt a.l.t. has struggled when he's been in the team but at least you can see the potential and can offer the excuse that he's not used to the physical side of the english game or is not in his preferred role.

as for cheyrou, i'm sorry i can't see it

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #225 on: November 24, 2003, 12:48:41 pm »
Heh Heh.  :D

Its a shame for Cheyrou, he does have good feet but its hard to tell what promise he has. WHen he plays the pace of the game seems to quick and he seems to struggle coming to terms with the physical side.
I think he will be off on loan in Jan....

A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2003, 05:01:43 am »
played in the reserve fixture last night...

" cheyrou was mostly anonymous"

quote from the official site.

FFS...

i would have thought that after a long lay off with back and toe injuries he would have been champing at the bit............

may well be better suited to european games by the sound of it...
JFT 96

Offline Brigor Cheyaore

• Kopite
  • The Next Pires!
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2003, 06:20:42 am »
imo he's shown absolutely nothing when he's played

whether he's been played in his preferred position or not, players usually show you some skills or talents, i honestly can't remember him influencing even an attacking move nevermind a half of football.

i'm sure the management / coaching team would have given him opportunities if he was pressing for a place.

i've felt a.l.t. has struggled when he's been in the team but at least you can see the potential and can offer the excuse that he's not used to the physical side of the english game or is not in his preferred role.

as for cheyrou, i'm sorry i can't see it
Lazio shows he has talent.  His preformances for Lille shows he has talent.  He made a few good passes against Chelsea, despite playing on the left and with Sami and Arnie playing like it was last season.
Maybe a loan move to Fulham would do him some good, but Cheyrou has just as much talent as Le Tallec, hope we see him use it at Liverpool.
RAWK Fantasy Baseball 2006 Champion!

Offline sammya

• Main Stander
Cheyrou
« Reply #228 on: December 17, 2003, 02:24:54 am »
pick him in central play makek with didi behind stevie to the right and harry to the left and we'll fly up the league. He'll be ace there

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cheyrou
« Reply #229 on: December 17, 2003, 02:31:26 am »

I'll have whatever he's drinking

`

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 17, 2003, 02:34:00 am »

What's the logic in that?

Stevie is our catalyst and I don't think anyone would argue that playing him in the center of midfield is his most affective role.

As for playing Cheyrou in the center ...  ::)
Blame Canada!

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #231 on: December 17, 2003, 02:37:15 am »
Cheyrou in the middle? I recall him ducking out of 50/50s last time I seen him play. The lad is a shithouse in my eyes.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline sammya

• Main Stander
« Reply #232 on: December 17, 2003, 02:38:25 am »

What's the logic in that?

Stevie is our catalyst and I don't think anyone would argue that playing him in the center of midfield is his most affective role.

As for playing Cheyrou in the center ...  ::)

He's boss on the right is stevie g and the formation I poated saw us play one of our best ever games against man u. Cheyrou really is a talent he just needs a run

Offline sammya

• Main Stander
« Reply #233 on: December 17, 2003, 02:39:45 am »
Cheyrou in the middle? I recall him ducking out of 50/50s last time I seen him play. The lad is a shithouse in my eyes.

He can play in the middle as a playmaker not as a ball winner. If he starts shitting out of tackles then bin him. He just needs time and actual games

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 17, 2003, 02:41:46 am »
No mate, he hasnt got it in him to put his foot in. Stevie has. Ive seen no evidence at all to suggest he would be good in the play maker role. So I dont know if you've been drinking or know something the rest of us dont?

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: December 17, 2003, 02:42:19 am »
He's boss on the right is stevie g and the formation I poated saw us play one of our best ever games against man u. Cheyrou really is a talent he just needs a run

Did I miss something?
Blame Canada!

Offline HoullierGirl

• Anny Roader
« Reply #236 on: December 17, 2003, 02:42:45 am »
I really really want to see Cheyrou get a run in the team.  I feel he hasn't had a consistant enough run so far to make too many judgements.
[img width= height= alt=Up Yours" border="0]http://img106.exs.cx/img106/7650/hasselhoffianrecursion3tm.gif[/img]

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 17, 2003, 02:45:04 am »
Good players show signs of class no matter how many games they've played. So far how many times has Cheyrou looked even half decent to any of you?

Offline sammya

• Main Stander
« Reply #238 on: December 17, 2003, 02:47:12 am »
No mate, he hasnt got it in him to put his foot in. Stevie has. Ive seen no evidence at all to suggest he would be good in the play maker role. So I dont know if you've been drinking or know something the rest of us dont?

thats how pires looked too

Offline sammya

• Main Stander
« Reply #239 on: December 17, 2003, 02:48:08 am »
Did I miss something?

yep. that game against the mancs in the treble season and Cheyrou in france