Author Topic: My Favourite Player #13 - Ian Callaghan  (Read 12903 times)

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
My Favourite Player #13 - Ian Callaghan
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:00:00 pm »
Ian Callaghan - is for life not just for Christmas

Where to start on Cally?

The obvious place? For many, he is simply a stat. 857  appearances,  a model pro,  a record holder. His story is so much more than that and the man has so much to be admired for. The 857 obscures a player who for a whole generation of us reds was synonymous with Liverpool, an embodiment of the Liverpool Way. He was a team player, at a time when Liverpool created the greatest team in the world.  A player that gave his whole heart to the club and the game he loved. In a cliche’d world when players regularly give 110% Cally was  ‘off the scale’.

Millionaire footballers and the modern cult of celebrity make it increasingly difficult to explain the type of player Cally was. A local lad from Toxteth, he had an obviously humble start to life. A schoolboy signing at age 15, he debuted just 6 days after his 18th birthday and less than a month after signing full time. An old man in comparison with Raheem Sterling perhaps but in an age when football was played to different rules, a 5’ 7” winger made from bone and gristle was taking his career in his hands playing so early.

Cally made what even for LFC was a remarkable debut. With just 4 reserve games behind him Shanks plucked the little fella from the reserves to take the place of the legend that was Billy Liddell. It is hard to imagine how that young kid would have been feeling at the time, pressure, nerves, excitement, or just cacking himself, who knows? Whatever it was, he must have been buzzing as he caught the local bus to the game and got caught up with the match going fans. You had to get to the ground early in those days, really early.

The young lad started the game on fire, set up three of Liverpool’s 4 goals and was, at the end of the game applauded from the pitch, not just by the crowd but by the opposition players and the referee. Seasoned hacks described it as the greatest debut they’d seen, confirming Liddel’s own earlier prediction, that the lad was his successor.

What happened next for the superstar? An England call up, a pay rise and a new contract? Cally played just 9 games in the following 2 seasons biding his time largely in the stiffs. Could you imagine the agents and the media standing for that in this day and age?  When he finally made the team on a regular basis Liverpool won the title.

I grew up with me Dad and Shanks singing the praises of Cally. A working class hero, a humble lad making the most of what God had given him but staying rooted in the club and the City. A team of Callaghans now that would have been a thing to watch you'd have been dizzy after 5 minutes but we may of had a problem with corners...........

In '66 Cally was part of the England squad and played one game in the World Cup finals. A winger in the age of the 'wingless wonders', he wasn't picked to play the final. That meant no medal , no roll of honour, no national recognition, just Nobby's teeth in his pocket for the game. It could have made him bitter and resentful instead he took it in his stride, congratulated the others and got on with his job. The lad had more dignity than Atticus Finch.

Brian Clough labelled Cally the most genuine player the British game had ever produced. Along with every single one of his team mates, his opponents, George Best and Bobby Charlton amongst them were part of his many admirers. Shanks described him as a managers dream, the only player he had to tell to take it easy in training. This from Shanks who’d break his wife’s leg to score a goal in five a side……pure dedication on and off the pitch. What else can you ask? Well for LFC you also have to have talent, lots and lots of talent, the pressure and competition to keep the shirt was high and Cally kept the shirt for 15 years. under two of the greatest and most ruthless managers to walk the planet.

Cally’s enthusiasm and dedication were constant. His never say die attitude and willingness to just keep running reflected the spirit of the Kop and the Liverpool team through the 60's and 70's. Some called him the marathon man , most just 'Cally'. How many late goals because of the belief to just keep going, on and on, an unquenchable will to win, to give your best.

You could see Cally revered both Shanks and Bob and would have run through a brick wall for them both and then come back with the bricks.  He was perpetual motion, he did not just simply work hard, he worked harder than everybody else and his legs and brain kept going when those of mere mortals were closing down. How can you forget that run and cross for the goal in 65 in the last 10 minutes on that ridiculously heavy pitch and you can be sure if it had been needed in the 91st minute Cally would have been there to do it all again. His work rate disguised what an intelligent reader of the game he was, he was always in the right place, sure his exceptional stamina carried him there but he needed to know where to be. He was Shank's secret weapon and Bob's after him, the player that did two jobs instead of one giving us space and freedom to create elsewhere.

Many forget Cally began life as a tricky winger before switching inside. The hunched shoulders, his head thrust forward, his left arm bent and awkward, his elbow jutting out like a sail on a windy day,  it all belied a superb balance which allowed him to jink or glide his way past opponents to the by-line, where his crossing invariably picked out a player. He wasn’t lightning quick but over a couple of yards he could leave the defender standing and find the space he needed. He would dart past a player with quick feet and an even sharper mind. One thing about Cally was he got the job done, no airs and graces , no fancy flicks, no dazzling pace. Cally was down to earth, a no nonsense player, just a drop of the shoulder, a switch of the ball and away. A busy, tireless player, he mastered all the arts of the game with one exception, heading. He never was the showman, he rarely drew a gasp or hugged the limelight and he didn’t take liberties with opponents he was a time served craftsman as reliable as the sun rise. His stuttering rapid run often gave the impression he was struggling to get there but he always made it.

In an age when wingers were marked by defenders for x rated tackles from the kick off, when the defender could scythe you down from behind without even an admonishing word from the ref, players  not only had to be physically tough but mentally strong. Cally set our all time appearance record by over 200 games and was booked just once. He was as tough as nails. Not an, in your face aggressive kind of tough but the type of tough that just picks themselves up, smiles and tries twice as hard.  The kind of tough that just keeps coming, keeps getting up. Callaghan was relentless. He was a true man who played the game in the spirit it should be played with honest enthusiasm and endeavour. Just one booking in the whole damn lot, a man even Ghandi would bow down to.

A knee injury saw his speed slowed and his jinks curtailed so he moved inside but his reading of the game and clever use of the ball saw him excel in his new role. In truth he could have played anywhere on the park except in goal, ok ok or centre half in the days of the Colussus it would have been a big ask. 

At 32, in his new role he won the Football writers player of the year, the first Liverpool player to achieve that honour. By the age of 34,  he helped us win the League and Uefa cup double, playing in all bar a couple of the games and at 35 did enough to get called back up into the England team after an 11 year absence, another record.

Maybe me dad and the lads of his generation were feeling their age, maybe it was the the lads longevity that endeared him to so many auld gits but he wasn't being picked out of sympathy he was a class act capable of controlling a game without ever being seen.

He started the final of the ’77 European Cup becoming the only player to play for the club from the 2nd division right through to our domination of Europe. He was still there a year later for another final but  kept out of the side by Graeme Souness. That’s the level of ability Cally was competing against in his mid thirties as he broke record after record.

This was a man who lived our dream, from the terraces to the European cup. Ten major trophies, our first FA Cup, our first Uefa Cup, our first European Cup.  He lived his career as you’d hope to live it, respected by all, true to himself. A quiet modest man, as enthusiastic and in love with the game at the finish as he was at the start and with the same humble character, who appreciated and treasured what he had.

My favourite player by a long way, no distractions, no glory goals just the strongest player on the pitch. A player that held everybody else together, the unsung hero without whom none of the rest ever happens. One of many reasons similar whole hearted players evoke so much sympathy with me I guess but Cally had the skills to match his work rate.

Oh and he looks just like me Dad only smaller  ;D

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:25:23 pm by Vulmea in a Manger »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: My Favourite Player #13 - Ian Callaghan
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:17:13 am »
That's a great write up on a brilliant record breaking player. Thanks mate.
Yep.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:33 am »
That was a great write up thanks. Ian Callaghan is obviously a name all Liverpool supporters will know but I haven't ever seen too much footage of him (bar the European finals). That was a really informative read - thanks!

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:20:41 am »
Another cracking write up. It's great learning more of the older legends as a lot of what we see or read isn't from a perspective we can associate with. RAWK forever leading the way  :wave
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:55 am »
Great stuff that.

Nice to hear more about the man and player he was rather than just the numbers.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 12:10:38 pm »
Great OP, thanks.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:33:17 pm »
I admit, I didn't know much about Callaghan other than the appearance star. Pieces like this are great!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:58:38 pm »
Today's player is a true record holder and wonderful servant to the club. Enjoy this lovely write up of Ian Callaghan, a proper great of the LFC Hall of Fame.
Yep.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:39:47 am »
Envy those of you who saw him play in the flesh. Enjoyed the OP a lot.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

royhendo

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 08:25:14 am »
Magic mate, thanks again. :)

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 08:47:11 am »
That was wonderful. You know the statistics, you've heard about the man, you've heard the some of the stories etc.

This tied a lot of it together - and very well done.

Thanks.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 08:48:01 am »
Haven't got time now, but I can't wait to read this. One of my all time favourite players, by a favourite poster. I'll look forward to it like a treat.
What a player this man was. I wrote about Thommo because he was my first LFC hero. But as I said, he wasn't even the best winger in that team, let alone the best footballer. Cally was much more subtle, that's why he lasted so long. A fantastic footballer, and a true legend of Liverpool Football Club.
Quick aside... my optitician is a good mate of his. I didn't know that, but he used to be the club eye doctor. He had a practice in Norris Green and worked in the eye hospital before moving down here. He'd never said a thing about it to me. Then one time when I was going to get me arse end of Sterie bottles upgraded, he just came out with and told me some great stories about the club, Shanks and the team back then. Cally was his brother's best man, and apparently, you'd go a long way to find a better nicer man.

In fact, think me aul lamps are due getting tested. I could do with a few more stories, and looking forward to this one with a nice cup of tea, maybe even a biccie or twelve, when I get back. Nice one Vulmea, you picked a cracker. I hope the kids read it.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 09:12:23 am »
People like Cally are what we say this club is all about. Talent, humility, hunger, dedication and a winner.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 09:13:41 am »
Loved reading that. Thanks vulmea I learned a lot.

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 09:31:33 am »
Great post. My favourite player as well.

Gerry Byrne and Alf Arrowsmith would be up there but nobody really comes close to Cally.

I could have run through each sentence of that post and said something like - 'Agree completely', 'Spot on', 'Absolutely'.

The player that most makes me proud to be a Liverpool supporter.
"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 09:58:14 am »
Very nice Vulmea. That stuttering, slightly ugly run of his which you mention looks very modern now. I'm thinking Lennon and even our own Raheem Sterling.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 10:01:43 am »
Thanks for that, hope there isn't a competition of the best.. Couldn't make that choice!

Great to read about before my time, players who helped forge the dynasty I grew up to love.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
Makes me smile, this.

A player and a man that I think any generation of Liverpool fan can and should be proud of.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 11:07:41 am »
Another great read. I was fortunate to do the Anfield Legends tour with him,  he was absolutely superb.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 11:40:10 am »
Lovely stuff mate, great read.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 11:52:55 am »
Superb. What a treat!

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
My Favourite Player #13 - Ian Callaghan
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 12:11:31 pm »
Thank you for this, and for all the writers for all those before it. What a great series.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 12:12:22 pm »
Brilliant. Legend. Much over used words, but really fitting for a wonderful piece on a wonderful player and a true LFC legend. Great stuff Vulmea mate. I really enjoyed that, and the memories it brought back. Reading your description of his gait, I could actually see the little fella running again. One gripe - you missed his hair cut. Best crew cut ever. Well, Cally's and St. John's. Soon as I was 30, and me Ma stopped putting a basin on my head, I tried to get my hair like theirs. Sadly, I couldn't play footy like them, either.

Brilliant stuff on a true legend, indeed.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 12:17:31 pm »
Brilliant. Legend. Much over used words, but really fitting for a wonderful piece on a wonderful player and a true LFC legend. Great stuff Vulmea mate. I really enjoyed that, and the memories it brought back. Reading your description of his gait, I could actually see the little fella running again. One gripe - you missed his hair cut. Best crew cut ever. Well, Cally's and St. John's. Soon as I was 30, and me Ma stopped putting a basin on my head, I tried to get my hair like theirs. Sadly, I couldn't play footy like them, either.

Brilliant stuff on a true legend, indeed.

Thats why I put the pics in :)  - me dad had the same cut, same colour hair.....mine was always too spikey when it was short - I guess thats why God created brylcream
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 12:27:12 pm »
Thats why I put the pics in :)  - me dad had the same cut, same colour hair.....mine was always too spikey when it was short - I guess thats why God created brylcream
I still slap it in my hair now, all 3 of them. Trying to get the Cally but ending up with the Bobby Charlton. Never had much more luck on the pitch, either.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 03:18:37 pm »
Lovely read, makes us young uns realise how lucky we are to have these stories just a click away ...thanks
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 07:50:16 pm »
Excellent stuff Vulmea, you have it spot on. 

Enjoyed that favourite more than any.

As you said he was there when Shanks began and there when we reached the pinnacle in Rome.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:19 pm »
Great read mate, I caught the last five years or so of his Liverpool career and always loved him, me da, uncle and  granda, all spoke of him as the heartbeat of the club even when a few where getting on his back towards the arse end of his career, he never deserved that.

Think he had a record of playing in championship winning teams in all four divisions, don't know if it still stands, he won the 4th & 3rd divisions with Toshack's Swansea after he left us. Even the thought of a player going from the European Cup final to help a mate making his way as a manager now, well it doesn't bear thinking about.

Just a great player who epitomises everything that was right with football when we were growing up and shows up everything that is wrong with footballers now. An all time great of the game by any standards.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 08:39:46 pm »
Absolutely brilliant OP mate, what a description. His book, which is a couple of years old now, is well worth a read.

It can't be overerstated what a brilliant footballer and servant he was to the club.

And his toes must be fucked kicking with the old leather weights.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:45:48 pm by 'Tis the season to be John C »

Offline stonty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 08:44:52 pm »
Great read that, many thanks

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »
I'll keep it simple and short

"the most genuine player the British game hads ever produced"

Went from the 2nd division to the European Champions via a world cup winning squad, winger and midfield, both class, total gentleman

Up with the very, very best and I don't mean just LFC

If Jamie played 4 more full seasons he could touch his record, that shows how much he meant to Liverpool FC

Remember his booking which was just a travesty.

Legend in times when that is not a word used much.

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 09:03:26 pm »
Great piece befitting a true legend.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 10:22:20 pm »
I had the privilege of meeting Cally at a function in Liverpool in April of this year. He was everything I had been told he would be ... unassuming, humble, polite, courteous and very patient considering the number of people who were trying to have a word with him. I showed him (and asked him to keep) some photographs that had been taken at the away leg of the 1973 UEFA cup final in Germany. He seemed genuinely pleased to see them. I asked him about a match at Chelsea forty years ago in which he had scored and whether he remembered his goal. "Oh yes", he said, "I remember all my goals because I didn't score many of them", to which I replied "You're doing yourself a disservice there; you scored quite a lot of goals" and I added "Anyway, it wasn't your job to score goals. That was Roger's job"! I asked him to sign a book and showed him the autograph he had given me on a train the morning after that match at Chelsea forty years ago. The two autographs were absolutely identical, not like the scrawls that so many players or ex-players give today. To help him look at the UEFA cup final pictures, I handed him a small magnifying glass and he chuckled and said "For God's sake don't let anyone see me using that"! A legend of our club definitely but also a perfect gentleman. What an honour it was to spend a few minutes in his company :).

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 11:16:17 pm »
"the most genuine player the British game hads ever produced"

Went from the 2nd division to the European Champions via a world cup winning squad, winger and midfield, both class, total gentleman
Great little post mate.

I don't recall much of his England career at all. I was too young but also because he wasn't a house-hold name it may not have got respectable coverage.

I do however recall him being involved in a 70's England team when we had 6 or 7 of our players in the starting 11. It was unbelievable.

Offline forrest1980

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 02:08:58 am »
Great read, thanks.
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw , don't support us when we win" - Bill Shankly.......the best quote the great man ever said.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 06:58:08 am »
You see the really really great thing about Cally holding the appearance record for LFC - apart from his graft, commitment, skills, bottle etc etc as we've read in this great tribute post by Vul - is (unlike my club's appearance record-holder  :-X) Cally (and many other old timers of those wonderful years when the game belonged to US) never had one whiff of scandal attached to his name.
He is rightly and commendably a man to look up to and to look back on with genuine and lasting pride.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 07:32:26 pm »
You see the really really great thing about Cally holding the appearance record for LFC - apart from his graft, commitment, skills, bottle etc etc as we've read in this great tribute post by Vul - is (unlike my club's appearance record-holder  :-X) Cally (and many other old timers of those wonderful years when the game belonged to US) never had one whiff of scandal attached to his name.
He is rightly and commendably a man to look up to and to look back on with genuine and lasting pride.

That's a very nice tribute Johnno ... and very true. Well said.

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 08:59:27 pm »
Cheers for this, brilliantly done. Sounds like a good old fashioned working class hero.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 10:28:43 am »
The two things I mainly remember about Cally are;

1 Whatever condition he was in when he got to the line, ie. travelling at full speed, on either wing; whether he’d just been faceplanted in the quadrant by Sandy Brown or Maurice Setters, with his arse facing the goal it didn’t matter, he always floated a perfect cross over, with either foot. To be fair Thommo’ was the same. And the cross was floated. It didn’t have the obligatory ‘whip’ on it which provides the perfect cross once every three seasons (the other 4,000 crosses being dealt with at leisure by the first defender). No it was floated, because the bloke in the middle, St. John, would be hanging in mid-air like a monkey up a pole, and not only could he jump very high, he could actually head the ball as well - I even saw him intentionally swerve a header once! And….

2 When he moved back into midfield at the end of his career he just kept improving year on year. At the end of each season we thought, ‘Well he can’t manage another season surely’. But he did. He came back and he always looked stronger fitter and just better.
No amount of praise is adequate.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 08:46:10 am »
Brilliant write up mate. Cheers for that, a really great read.