Match 3: Max_powers
9 (12.9%)
Match 4: Popcorn
7 (10%)
Match 4: Draex
11 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Yesterday at 07:05:30 pm

Author Topic: The Jurgen Klopp Draft - Knockout Matches 1-4  (Read 522 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
The Jurgen Klopp Draft - Knockout Matches 1-4
« on: March 26, 2024, 07:05:30 pm »
Welcome to the Jurgen Klopp draft. Our little tribute to one of our greatest ever managers who steps down at the end of the season.

This is an all-time draft where players were picked in 11 different categories relating to the life and career of Jurgen Klopp. All players to be judged on their peak performance, longevity, mentality to win, and how well they would gel as a team.

_____________________________________________________Match 1_______________________________________________________

RobbieRedman                                       V                                           Surfer

___________________________________________________Match 2_________________________________________________________

Bobby                                            V                                               Samie + Prof 

____________________________________________________Match 3________________________________________________________

Drinks Sangria                                                   V                                           Max_powers 

___________________________________________________Match 4_________________________________________________________

Popcorn                                                 V                               Draex   

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: The Jurgen Klopp Draft - Knockout Matches 1-4
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 07:30:15 pm »
Very close all these but I picked the teams I feel would win a game of ball.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 07:42:27 pm »
Game 4 is a cracker.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 07:51:52 pm »
Losing and potentially a first round exit as Draex has a great team there too but I'm very pleased with that team I built.

I know it's very modern but I went for the team I think would be a Klopp machine rather than going for a few of the greats. Risk taking Firmino over some of the strikers left at the time but I wanted that relentless pressing machine in the system Klopp built.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 10:06:05 pm »
I accidentally voted for the wrong team in one of these matches  :boxhead  If it proves match deciding I will call it back. Hope for my sake it doesn't!
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:41:25 am »
Our team isn't the one we built.  The point of our team was to replicate the Klopp title winning side with players picked to play the roles in the system.

Keegan and Gento were inverted like Mane and Salah were.  Gullit was withdrawn as a false 9.  Trent and Robbo were pushed on in possession to become overlapping wingers.

We then represented it like a 2-3-5 which is basically how that team played in possession (and is a long standing thing between me and Samie which references Championship Manager 94/95).

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:59:26 am »
My team was built with players who fit Klopps "normal" i.e. Hard worker, team player, balls of steel, technically proficient, robust/reliable, intelligence (able to press, counter press, block lanes), professional and full of controlled aggression.

It's a merge of the great Dortmund and Liverpool teams with a nod to the team which won the Premier League at a canter, which was about controlled heavy metal, knowing when to go hard and fast and when to slip into a total control as we won many games 1-0.

Klopp has Sacchi as one of his main influences, who took a lot from the Dutch "total football" and that's what my team does, merge different styles with adaptable and flexible players.

My team has in Krol and Suubier two of the all time great fullbacks, who could go up and down whitelines or invert to create overloads in midfield in build up, they'd dovetail with one pushing on, with the other coming inside to offer security and total ball control domination.

Rush and Dalglish, the perfect pairing, Rush pressing from the front, a tireless off the ball player who was ruthless in front of goal with Kenny exploting the space and causing havok in the backlines.

Rivellino and Matthews, two hardworking, technically brilliant dribblers with that touch of "wow" pinning opponent fullbacks back and again exploiting the spaces Rush and Kenny create with their movement. Utterly deadly on the counter.

Seedorf and Kroos the ultimate "engine", totally secure on the ball, great athletcism, stamina and top class at breaking up play to launch quick and accurate counter attack transitions.

Finally the foundations upon the rest can play Nesta and Kompany, total defenders who dominate in all areas, especially aerially and 1 v 1s, supported by the ever reliable Weidenfeller.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:59:53 pm by Draex »

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:53:26 pm »
Game 1 - Could flip a coin here. Went for Surfer because I like the compatibility and versatility of his forward line a shade more. Also feel Maldini could swing the game by keeping Van Basten quieter than Koeman/Bonucci could vs Romario/Del Piero.

Game 2 - Bobby, of course. Pity Samie + Prof didn't take it more seriously at the end, as they had the makings of a really great side.

Game 3 - Another coin flip. Went for DS as I feel his team has more ways at getting at Max's team than the other way. Max's attack and team overall is superior on paper, but it feels very centralized with no real width coming from anywhere. Think Salah would be too much for Hughes as well.

Game 4 - Another tough one, but I like the mix of Draex's team just a little more. Nesta-Kompany a great pairing, Kenny-Rush obviously superb. Popcorn could probably control the midfield a little more. But it's not enough to tip it for me.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:00:33 pm »
Have to say I actually think Draex team is the best in the draft so I think I got unlucky with the draw as I think my team could have gone far otherwise. I love my team but can see why it's being pipped here.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:12:55 pm »
Have to say I actually think Draex team is the best in the draft so I think I got unlucky with the draw as I think my team could have gone far otherwise. I love my team but can see why it's being pipped here.

I think had you gone for a stronger goalscorer (Bobby isn't so popular in these drafts) and maybe a different CB than Lawrenson (not saying he's bad, but he's always overshadowed by Hansen) then you'd be much closer here. But I get what you were trying to do by replicating more of a Klopp approach.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:25:25 pm »
Our team isn't the one we built.  The point of our team was to replicate the Klopp title winning side with players picked to play the roles in the system.

Keegan and Gento were inverted like Mane and Salah were.  Gullit was withdrawn as a false 9.  Trent and Robbo were pushed on in possession to become overlapping wingers.

We then represented it like a 2-3-5 which is basically how that team played in possession (and is a long standing thing between me and Samie which references Championship Manager 94/95).

Agreed my friend.

We shall take it to the highest authority on RAWK. Isn't that Al by the way?

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:27:17 pm »
I think had you gone for a stronger goalscorer (Bobby isn't so popular in these drafts) and maybe a different CB than Lawrenson (not saying he's bad, but he's always overshadowed by Hansen) then you'd be much closer here. But I get what you were trying to do by replicating more of a Klopp approach.
Yeah I really wanted to build a Klopp team so went for Bobby despite having options for others. I felt for this Klopp draft I wanted to build a team really in his Liverpool 17-22 Style.

First draft in about 8 years I'd say so lost track of the drafters favourites really and tried to go with the theme of the Klopp draft.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 01:51:50 pm »
Yeah I really wanted to build a Klopp team so went for Bobby despite having options for others. I felt for this Klopp draft I wanted to build a team really in his Liverpool 17-22 Style.

First draft in about 8 years I'd say so lost track of the drafters favourites really and tried to go with the theme of the Klopp draft.
I voted for your side and thought it was one of the best in the draft as I think your side would be a very good Klopp team.

I liked what you did with Bale in the Salah role, and Bobby and Mane don't need explaining.  That midfield is also a belter for his system, Kante and De Bruyne in the Gini and Hendo roles with two proper attacking full backs.

Well played

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 01:52:46 pm »
I voted for your side and thought it was one of the best in the draft as I think your side would be a very good Klopp team.

I liked what you did with Bale in the Salah role, and Bobby and Mane don't need explaining.  That midfield is also a belter for his system, Kante and De Bruyne in the Gini and Hendo roles with two proper attacking full backs.

Well played
Cheers Prof!

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 02:40:19 pm »

You definitely succeeded there. I kind of thought it was implied that everyone should try to build their own Klopp team, which is why I didn't say it. But a number of people haven't it seems, so I don't want to punish them for that.

Has it really been that long!? To be fair, I don't think I have a clue who the draft favourites are anymore either (I just almost never see Bobby picked). It shifted awhile ago with an influx of newer drafters, which is no bad thing as things were getting really stale anyway.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:46:59 pm by Betty Blue »

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 03:37:43 pm »
You definitely succeeded there. I kind of thought it was implied that everyone should try to build their own Klopp team, which is why I didn't say it. But a number of people haven't it seems, so I don't want to punish them for that.

Has it really been that long!? To be fair, I don't think I have a clue who the draft favourites are anymore either (I just almost never see Bobby picked). It shifted awhile ago with an influx of newer drafters, which is no bad thing as things were getting really stale anyway.

Yeah time has flown, I moved to Melbourne in 2016 so would have stopped drafting then for time difference reasons and then eventually stopped coming on. Had fun with this draft though and now I'm home I'd be keen to get involved in other football drafts coming up in the next few months.

Thanks for organising this. Was good fun.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 03:38:35 pm »
I've gone for pace and size for the entire backline,  which you would need to cope against the variety of threats in an all time draft. Both Maldini and Konate can keep up with the fastest attackers, as well as win their aerial and tactical duels. Schnellinger and Nicol were 5'11 fullbacks and quick as well.
Robbie's side is excellent all over the park, but the one point my side would target and back ourselves is in using the pace of peak Romario and Del Piero against their centre backs.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 04:03:00 pm »

I envisioned my attacking 3 as pretty mobile and going wide where possible. Maybe should have drawn more arrows. Baggio at his best is dragging defenders all over the pitch. Eto'o also was very capable of playing that inverted wide-forward role. Lewandowski acts as the focal point.

My midfield has so much skill that I think most of the ball progression will be done through the center. Thuram and Hughes have great engine to go up and down the pitch and provide width.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 05:04:47 pm »
Game 4 is a cracker.

That was the most difficult one to call for me. Could have gone either way.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 05:22:02 pm »
Yeah time has flown, I moved to Melbourne in 2016 so would have stopped drafting then for time difference reasons and then eventually stopped coming on. Had fun with this draft though and now I'm home I'd be keen to get involved in other football drafts coming up in the next few months.

Thanks for organising this. Was good fun.

Now I feel old haha. I think drafting really peaked in those barren years between Benitez leaving and Klopp saving us. It was pretty much our RAWK fall-out shelter. Footy drafts have been thin on the ground lately, but if someone has a good concept then there's usually interest.

I envisioned my attacking 3 as pretty mobile and going wide where possible. Maybe should have drawn more arrows. Baggio at his best is dragging defenders all over the pitch. Eto'o also was very capable of playing that inverted wide-forward role. Lewandowski acts as the focal point.

My midfield has so much skill that I think most of the ball progression will be done through the center. Thuram and Hughes have great engine to go up and down the pitch and provide width.

Yeah, that's fair. I think for a 442 diamond to work you need two things - high quality attacking fullbacks and a midfield that can do a bit of everything. I loooooove Thuram, but he's more of a defensive behemoth than a player who contributes massively to attacking play. Similarly with Hughes. Whilst again I love each of your midfield 3 individually, I think there's a bit too much overlap in their skillset. There comes a point when too many players all moving through the centre is a hindrance rather than a help. That's ultimately why DS - despite not having the individuals to match yours - took my vote. His team feels like it has more of a mix of ways to stretch the play and hurt you. It was a close call though. There's a reason this is going to the wire  :)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 05:23:57 pm »
Ahh the Golden Age...

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 05:32:47 pm »

Second best ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 05:40:21 pm »
Ahh the Golden Age...

The legend

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 06:31:20 pm »
I accidentally voted for the wrong team in one of these matches  :boxhead  If it proves match deciding I will call it back. Hope for my sake it doesn't!

I'm in so much trouble if the votes stay as they are  :-X

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 06:46:57 pm »
Wildcard team if it is a draw and hope the other games are not a draw.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 06:58:56 pm »
Pistol at dawn, it's the only way.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 07:12:05 pm »
FUCK!

Game 1 - Could flip a coin here. Went for Surfer because I like the compatibility and versatility of his forward line a shade more. Also feel Maldini could swing the game by keeping Van Basten quieter than Koeman/Bonucci could vs Romario/Del Piero.

Just to prove my error. When I first voted I said to myself Bobby-Robbie because they rhyme, but then realised I meant to vote Surfer. So yeah, major fuck up. Should be Surfer 9-8, but now it feels cruel to Robbie who probably thought he was through.

The draw is less of an issue, because the best runner up was already going into the next round.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 07:21:45 pm »
put Surfer through it's not a big deal

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 07:26:43 pm »
Tbf if you've clicked on him, it's his.
Happy for Robbie to go through, I'll still track the matches and vote.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 07:29:58 pm »

Gotta work on that poker face  :)

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 07:35:12 pm »
Gotta work on that poker face  :)
genuine mistake it's cool and the right thing to do, only annoyed at BB for the garbage reasons he voted for you ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 07:43:17 pm »
Tbf if you've clicked on him, it's his.
Happy for Robbie to go through, I'll still track the matches and vote.

Stop being so nice, you fuckers  :D

genuine mistake it's cool and the right thing to do, only annoyed at BB for the garbage reasons he voted for you ;D

;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 07:44:32 pm »
I am seriously considering whether we should pivot to groups though. The matches are so tight it's definitely feeling a little unfair on those not going through.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 11:57:48 pm »
The legend

Spoiler
[close]
Ah

A thing of beauty!

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: Today at 12:00:13 am »
I am seriously considering whether we should pivot to groups though. The matches are so tight it's definitely feeling a little unfair on those not going through.
Only if we get our real team back for the other matches!  ;D