Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5731234 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Arsenal
« Reply #71800 on: July 30, 2023, 09:23:01 pm »
Let’s not forget the idiots who tormented Rafa towards the end of his tenure. Wenger was a generational manager, like Klopp.

I genuinely have affection for him, the players he signed and the football you played. It was other worldly at times. Still, will never forgive you for the 4-4 at Anfield when you had about four shots on target and we were going for the league!

Agreed on all counts. Thanks for bring up the 4-4 as well :P
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #71801 on: July 30, 2023, 09:29:55 pm »
Do we always have to make comparisons? Does success always have to be quantified in the 'right' trophies? (Because he didn't win the CL, that apparently negates all the trophies he did win.) Can we not just look at the man in isolation and acknowledge what he did for the sport and for Arsenal?

No one is competing against City right now, so why even bother criticizing a team from 20 years ago because they wouldn't be able to do any better? Points comparisons are just as moot as comparing players with 2 decades between them. The sport, the training, the nutrition and the money have all changed. The thing is, Wenger is partially responsible for some of those changes. That's what puts him in the echelon of great managers, and the lack of a CL trophy doesn't change that.

Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #71802 on: July 30, 2023, 09:32:52 pm »
Do we always have to make comparisons? Does success always have to be quantified in the 'right' trophies? (Because he didn't win the CL, that apparently negates all the trophies he did win.) Can we not just look at the man in isolation and acknowledge what he did for the sport and for Arsenal?

No one is competing against City right now, so why even bother criticizing a team from 20 years ago because they wouldn't be able to do any better? Points comparisons are just as moot as comparing players with 2 decades between them. The sport, the training, the nutrition and the money have all changed. The thing is, Wenger is partially responsible for some of those changes. That's what puts him in the echelon of great managers, and the lack of a CL trophy doesn't change that.

I make you right

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #71803 on: July 30, 2023, 09:34:41 pm »
Wenger signed Vieira. We still had a great defence but we finished 15th in 1995 and were in a relegation battle (season when fowler scored 3 in 5 mins). The football we played before he took over as well all hoof ball boring boring arsenal.

My bad on Vieira, but in 1996, you finished 5th under a different manager, so you had already improved before Wenger came. Liverpool, on the other hand, were going on a downward spiral when Klopp took on.

Stylistically in terms of making Arsenal entertaining - he did do quite a lot, I do agree.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71804 on: July 30, 2023, 09:42:38 pm »
My bad on Vieira, but in 1996, you finished 5th under a different manager, so you had already improved before Wenger came. Liverpool, on the other hand, were going on a downward spiral when Klopp took on.

Stylistically in terms of making Arsenal entertaining - he did do quite a lot, I do agree.

Klopp is incredible, no doubt. Youd have still competed without him but top 4 would’ve been your ceiling.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71805 on: July 30, 2023, 09:43:17 pm »
Agreed on all counts. Thanks for bring up the 4-4 as well :P

I had to brighten up this loveless thread.

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71806 on: July 30, 2023, 09:44:05 pm »
I had to brighten up this loveless thread.

:D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71807 on: July 30, 2023, 09:44:29 pm »
Klopp is incredible, no doubt. Youd have still competed without him but top 4 would’ve been your ceiling.

Incredible? He did something your club has never achieved. That’s more than incredible. That’s more than invincible.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71808 on: July 30, 2023, 09:50:54 pm »
Incredible? He did something your club has never achieved. That’s more than incredible. That’s more than invincible.

No id say hes more incredible than invincible…..

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71809 on: July 30, 2023, 09:51:46 pm »
Why is this godforsaken thread on top of the page AGAIN? Fuckin' hell!

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #71810 on: July 30, 2023, 09:55:53 pm »
Do we always have to make comparisons?

For me, the discussion started from these posts.

Let’s not forget the idiots who tormented Rafa towards the end of his tenure. Wenger was a generational manager, like Klopp.

I genuinely have affection for him, the players he signed and the football you played. It was other worldly at times. Still, will never forgive you for the 4-4 at Anfield when you had about four shots on target and we were going for the league!

Wenger failed year after year in Europe, a very good manager PL yes, but not comprable to a manager who’s done what Klopp has done in Europe.

Did Liverpool fans mercilessly boo Rafa during matches?

Does success always have to be quantified in the 'right' trophies? (Because he didn't win the CL, that apparently negates all the trophies he did win.) Can we not just look at the man in isolation and acknowledge what he did for the sport and for Arsenal?

No, literally nobody said not winning the CL negates the trophies, how did you make such a leap from this discussion, I don't know. Yes, we can look into isolation and plenty, including myself have acknowledged that he was a great manager - it's not black and white as you try to portray.

There were some posts with other managers thrown in - the thing is all players and managers are compared - people can recognize two players'/managers' greatness and still want to see who was better - it's not that abnormal in football at all. As long as the discussion is about football and the merits and demerits of the players/managers can be discussed. In this thread, among recent posts alone, the names of Rafa, Klopp, Shankly (mentioned by TNB himself), Chapman, Sacchi, Paisley and maybe a few others were mentioned. Comparison in football gives a reference point - one being better than the other doesn't automatically mean the other was not good/poor or anything like what you've taken away from this at all.

Absolutely wrong that nobody has competed against City - have you not seen our three title charges against them and narrowly missing out twice? If that's not competing, nothing is.

You can compare players/managers over different eras with respect to their achievements (and trophies is not the only thing we were discussing - we were discussing other points like peak in the PL, the respective competition, and how much they have improved their teams), it's harder when you make silly blanked statements, but it's easier when discussed with context, which is what is being done here.

Nobody is denying that Wenger made changes at Arsenal in a positive way, and again, I have acknowledged plenty of times that he was a great manager.

Stop taking it in a black and white way and chill, it's just a discussion.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 10:00:59 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71811 on: July 30, 2023, 09:57:39 pm »
No id say hes more incredible than invincible…..

I’d ask you if you’d swap a European Cup for an unbeaten league, but you would not be able to apprehend the question.

I’ll tell you now, there’s no contest. Hold my hand, there’s land ahoy. Maybe one day, we can break bread.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #71812 on: July 30, 2023, 09:57:49 pm »
Why is this godforsaken thread on top of the page AGAIN? Fuckin' hell!

*bump*

Oopsie!  ;D
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #71813 on: July 30, 2023, 09:59:22 pm »
I’d ask you if you’d swap a European Cup for an unbeaten league, but you would not be able to apprehend the question.

I’ll tell you now, there’s no contest. Hold my hand, there’s land ahoy. Maybe one day, we can break bread.
And you would probably swap that CL to have won 3 league titles under Klopp the way Wenger did. Wenger was a true great and a gent to boot.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71814 on: July 30, 2023, 10:02:12 pm »
You fuckin' kidding me?  ;D

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71815 on: July 30, 2023, 10:02:22 pm »

That’s incredible….. sailor

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #71816 on: July 30, 2023, 10:04:32 pm »
And you would probably swap that CL to have won 3 league titles under Klopp the way Wenger did.

No, we wouldn't have. You think we would've swapped our 6th? We are European Royalty and we know the value of our European successes. Thanks, but no thanks. We won 1 title against City and we were this close to a quadruple, as well as two more titles, so I know we will go again.

Wenger was a true great and a gent to boot.

Agreed. More of a gent than Ferguson, for sure  ;)

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71817 on: July 30, 2023, 10:04:42 pm »
And you would probably swap that CL to have won 3 league titles under Klopp the way Wenger did. Wenger was a true great and a gent to boot.

Nope.

That Champions League, and the other five make us who we are.

Don’t fool yourself, you are in our shadow because we soar high in Europe. It’s what separates the great clubs from the also rans. Like yourselves.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #71818 on: July 30, 2023, 10:23:35 pm »

For me, the discussion started from these posts.

No, literally nobody said not winning the CL negates the trophies, how did you make such a leap from this discussion, I don't know. Yes, we can look into isolation and plenty, including myself have acknowledged that he was a great manager - it's not black and white as you try to portray.

There were some posts with other managers thrown in - the thing is all players and managers are compared - people can recognize two players'/managers' greatness and still want to see who was better - it's not that abnormal in football at all. As long as the discussion is about football and the merits and demerits of the players/managers can be discussed. In this thread, among recent posts alone, the names of Rafa, Klopp, Shankly (mentioned by TNB himself), Chapman, Sacchi, Paisley and maybe a few others were mentioned. Comparison in football gives a reference point - one being better than the other doesn't automatically mean the other was not good/poor or anything like what you've taken away from this at all.

Absolutely wrong that nobody has competed against City - have you not seen our three title charges against them and narrowly missing out twice? If that's not competing, nothing is.

You can compare players/managers over different eras with respect to their achievements (and trophies is not the only thing we were discussing - we were discussing other points like peak in the PL, the respective competition, and how much they have improved their teams), it's harder when you make silly blanked statements, but it's easier when discussed with context, which is what is being done here.

Nobody is denying that Wenger made changes at Arsenal in a positive way, and again, I have acknowledged plenty of times that he was a great manager.

Stop taking it in a black and white way and chill, it's just a discussion.

I'm not going to go through your post point by point, because, as you say, it's just a discussion. I will say, no one brought up Wenger in comparison to other managers except to put him down. And you might want to tell the posters who have downplayed Wenger's greatness by pointing out he hasn't won the CL that other trophies count, too.

I knew someone would bring up the fact we have challenged City, and to that I say, very true. But why bring up an Arsenal team from 20 years ago and say they wouldn't have competed, when no other team barring us have competed against City? Would any of Rafa's teams competed with City, when the highest points total Rafa ever got was 86?

Yes, we all like to make era comparisons; it's the nature of being a sports fan. But posters in this thread seem to be very quick to downplay Wenger's accomplishments to bolster ours.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #71819 on: July 30, 2023, 10:25:55 pm »

Not a chance. But ask the Arsenal fans if they'd swap the 3 league titles for the CL. You may get a different answer.
Oh, these sour times.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #71820 on: July 30, 2023, 11:18:38 pm »

:lmao

What a mad post!

Of course no one would.  And Klopp certainly wouldn’t having come agonisingly close before.

Only reason Klopp hasn’t won more is because he’s up against cheats and sportswashers with unlimited funds. It is what it is, no one that matters seems to care, so we just plod on until PL football eats itself, which can’t happen soon enough.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #71821 on: July 30, 2023, 11:26:43 pm »
I'm not going to go through your post point by point, because, as you say, it's just a discussion. I will say, no one brought up Wenger in comparison to other managers except to put him down. And you might want to tell the posters who have downplayed Wenger's greatness by pointing out he hasn't won the CL that other trophies count, too.

I knew someone would bring up the fact we have challenged City, and to that I say, very true. But why bring up an Arsenal team from 20 years ago and say they wouldn't have competed, when no other team barring us have competed against City? Would any of Rafa's teams competed with City, when the highest points total Rafa ever got was 86?

Yes, we all like to make era comparisons; it's the nature of being a sports fan. But posters in this thread seem to be very quick to downplay Wenger's accomplishments to bolster ours.

who is saying they don’t? And who is saying he isn’t great? 

We’re allowed the opinion that he isn't up there with the greatest though I presume if that’s ok with you, due to his failures in Europe, it is what it is, that’s on him, not on us!

A great PL coach, but not up there with the truly great European coaches due to what is really a poor CL record at Arsenal, with just 1 final and 1 other semi final in 19 years.   That’s my opinion, and is as valid as yours, and yep, he’s an Arsenal great for sure, well worthy of them celebrating him.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #71822 on: July 31, 2023, 12:13:25 am »

Frankly, I don't think anyone's trying to put Wenger down. Most of the posts I've seen related to this discussion have acknowledged that Wenger is a great manager and have been complimentary towards him. I don't think anybody has said other trophies don't count as well.

To be honest, as much as I think of Rafa as a great manager, I don't think any of Rafa's teams would've challenged this City. His squads weren't comparable to what Klopp has built (I know that's no slight on Rafa), and I think Rafa got to 86 points with a much inferior squad compared to what Wenger had to get to 90 points, but that's for another discussion.

The point is, I would gladly accept that as great a manager as Rafa was, Klopp is a better manager.

In a similar way, there are points that show Klopp is a better manager than Wenger, and all three are great managers. There's nothing wrong in saying that.

If you have a different opinion on who was/is better, then that's fine as well, as long as we discuss with context and/or and logic.

People have acknowledged his achievements and most posts are not downplaying his achievements. People are just bringing some context to it, that is all.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71823 on: July 31, 2023, 03:07:54 am »
Not a chance. But ask the Arsenal fans if they'd swap the 3 league titles for the CL. You may get a different answer.

No chance, I wouldnt swap one of them to win a cup competition, thats crazy.

I would swap a couple of the ones we won in the 30s, which i didnt experience, then it would be nice to have a cl in the cabinet, but the journey we went on to win the league titles, winning title deciders at old Trafford, then going a whole season unbeaten, to swap those for a trophy that even chelsea have won twice with bang average teams in the last 10 years, is lunacy.
The way english teams are now compared to the weaker leagues in europe. i can see us getting to the last 8 of cl every time we are in it, then we are 5 games away from winning it, not really worth swapping any league title over. None ive ever experienced anyway. We were 15 minutes away from winning it in 2006, and id still take that defeat every time compared to giving up a league title.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 03:15:54 am by The North Bank »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71824 on: July 31, 2023, 03:21:06 am »
Looks like this David Raya bid is happening. All of a sudden people are calling him one of the best keepers in the league…. Ive never noticed it. Id still start Ramsdale, but he does need to cut out the silly errors, and he’s already thrown a couple in, in pre season.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71825 on: July 31, 2023, 03:29:07 am »
Looks like this David Raya bid is happening. All of a sudden people are calling him one of the best keepers in the league…. Ive never noticed it. Id still start Ramsdale, but he does need to cut out the silly errors, and he’s already thrown a couple in, in pre season.
His passing really good and sweep up with like 77% save percentage. He faced a lot of shots at Brentford but I think that more team then him.
Im not Sure ramsdale good enough if Arsenal want to win a title or the CL.
Price feels high with 1 year left.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71826 on: July 31, 2023, 03:34:38 am »
His passing really good and sweep up with like 77% save percentage. He faced a lot of shots at Brentford but I think that more team then him.
Im not Sure ramsdale good enough if Arsenal want to win a title or the CL.
Price feels high with 1 year left.

We wont be paying 40m for him, still not sure hes an upgrade on Ramsdale, but then i thought less of signing ramsdale when we first got him, thought it was some sort of joke, and hes done well for us. Obviously not on the same level as Allison and Ederson, but neither is Raya.
It is strange with goalkeepers, maybe i dont pay enough attention to them, it used to be about shot stopping , catching crosses and goals conceded so easier to judge.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 03:36:17 am by The North Bank »

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71827 on: July 31, 2023, 03:48:56 am »
We wont be paying 40m for him, still not sure hes an upgrade on Ramsdale, but then i thought less of signing ramsdale when we first got him, thought it was some sort of joke, and hes done well for us. Obviously not on the same level as Allison and Ederson, but neither is Raya.
It is strange with goalkeepers, maybe i dont pay enough attention to them, it used to be about shot stopping , catching crosses and goals conceded so easier to judge.
Alisson Elite sweeper and elite shot stopper that really hard to find.
Raya closer to elite shot stopper with good sweeping. Where Ramsdale is pretty average shot stopping with good sweeping. Also passing.
Goal conceded is more of a team stat then goalie stat.
Like turner shot stopping better then Ramsdale but his passing not where arteta wants it at all. He can sweep though irc.
Ederson basically average stop stopper but elite passing and elite sweeping.
Basically when pep took over Hart good at sitting in a deeper block and stopping shots but he couldnt do he fooball stuff so pep binned him for Bravo who could do the football stuff but was bad at stopping shots.
Shot prevention over saves. Raya should be able to around the same shot prevention as Ramsdale but a better shot stopper.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71828 on: July 31, 2023, 04:31:32 am »
Can see why there is interest as RedG13 points out. However, Raya lacks height and doesn't claim crosses.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71829 on: July 31, 2023, 04:46:19 am »
Can see why there is interest as RedG13 points out. However, Raya lacks height and doesn't claim crosses.
Not true on crosses(He not tall for a goalie that is true). Ramsdale is 50th percentile in crosses stopped %. Raya is 93th Percentile

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #71830 on: July 31, 2023, 06:33:02 am »
Would you pay £40m if you could move Ramsdale for £30m ?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71831 on: July 31, 2023, 07:09:11 am »
Anelka Ashley cole van persie adebayor nasri clichy toure Sanchez ,Even Henry Vieira petit Overmars. “Ludicrous” .

If you dont know, you dont know.

No, once he started selling his best players (or having them sold on him) he stopped the achieving all the things on the last above mentioned — with the exception of rounding up multiple FA Cups, which as you doubtless know did nothing to assuage to blood lust of the Arsenal fan base.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71832 on: July 31, 2023, 07:27:52 am »
No, once he started selling his best players (or having them sold on him) he stopped the achieving all the things on the last above mentioned — with the exception of rounding up multiple FA Cups, which as you doubtless know did nothing to assuage to blood lust of the Arsenal fan base.

I would say he always had to sell his best players, but initially he could replace them with the best french/african players in generations, for example henry for anelka and pires for overmars , but then even those became out of his price range, so he tried to go with even younger players and compete with teenagers with potential, got top 4 every season which is exceptional but theres only so much you can do without backing.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71833 on: July 31, 2023, 07:30:23 am »
Would you pay £40m if you could move Ramsdale for £30m ?

I wouldnt sell Ramsdale no, Arteta seems even more ruthless than some of our fans, who are normally notoriously ruthless.
Ideally he ll be brought in as competition and its up to both keepers to fight for number 1. Ramsdale has done enough to deserve number 1 for this season, but he needs to improve to keep the shirt.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71834 on: July 31, 2023, 09:54:08 am »
Auston Trusty to Sheffield united for 5m. He was rated as highly as Saliba once, sometimes it just doesn’t work out for young players. Still he ll be in the premier league next season so could still develop into something very good.

Need to move on about 6-7 more players, even the Saudis wont pay for Pepe though, and he doesnt seem to have any ambition to take a pay cut just to play football.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #71835 on: July 31, 2023, 12:05:23 pm »