Author Topic: What are your hobbies?  (Read 8080 times)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What are your hobbies?
« Reply #80 on: June 6, 2021, 05:33:57 pm »
Funny enough, she came with me a few times last summer. I'd totally lost touch with the fishing but still had my gear. I suggested it late on last summer and was surprised when she said she'd come with me. I catch and release, so she's fine with that.

I bought her a hammock and I set it up between two trees and she relaxes, reads, has a sleep etc while I fish. With it being lateish in the season we only went a few times, but yes, I could get out there again this summer and make it a more regular thing again. 😎

My dad got me into fishing as a kid, though he never caught anything 😁 we nearly always went to Ribchester on the Ribble during the school holidays and mum would do the same as Mrs Spion, read or fall asleep.

I kept up my interest and continued going pretty much up to having the kids, then took it up again when they got older though I've not been for years.  I wouldn't have a clue now but could still quite happily sit next to a river, canal or lake all day.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #81 on: June 6, 2021, 05:56:57 pm »
My dad got me into fishing as a kid, though he never caught anything 😁 we nearly always went to Ribchester on the Ribble during the school holidays and mum would do the same as Mrs Spion, read or fall asleep.

I kept up my interest and continued going pretty much up to having the kids, then took it up again when they got older though I've not been for years.  I wouldn't have a clue now but could still quite happily sit next to a river, canal or lake all day.
The good thing with canal fishing is I always catch. I'm not into carp fishing, so it's Tench, Bream, Roach, Perch, Rudd etc. I've always loved watching a float, so it's float fishing every time for me. On a really good day I can catch over 100 fish.

I'm not sure why I let it go, but life gets in the way sometimes. When talking with people on mental health I always highlight the importance of doing more of what we enjoy and what enriches our lives, however small. Sort of identifying what we value doing in life, then doing more of it. Also, recognising the things in life that drain us, are negative and unproductive, then letting them go if at all possible.

It's just basic common sense really, but something we can easily lose sight of at times.

Anyway, we've just decided we are off to the Wirral tomorrow for a picnic, and the binoculars are coming with us for some birdwatching on the Dee marshes. 😎

It just shows you though. On my list of things I used to do I totally forgot about running and keeping fit. I ran every week for years, right up until losing my dad and my partner's dad in the space of two weeks in 2017. We lost one dog in 2015 too, which broke my heart. Our remaining dog died in May of last year. I think all that killed my enthusiasm for life, hence all my hobbies falling away.

Anyway, Wirral picnic tomorrow... 😎
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 6, 2021, 06:14:22 pm »
The good thing with canal fishing is I always catch. I'm not into carp fishing, so it's Tench, Bream, Roach, Perch, Rudd etc. I've always loved watching a float, so it's float fishing every time for me. On a really good day I can catch over 100 fish.

I'm not sure why I let it go, but life gets in the way sometimes. When talking with people on mental health I always highlight the importance of doing more of what we enjoy and what enriches our lives, however small. Sort of identifying what we value doing in life, then doing more of it. Also, recognising the things in life that drain us, are negative and unproductive, then letting them go if at all possible.

It's just basic common sense really, but something we can easily lose sight of at times.

Anyway, we've just decided we are off to the Wirral tomorrow for a picnic, and the binoculars are coming with us for some birdwatching on the Dee marshes. 😎

It just shows you though. On my list of things I used to do I totally forgot about running and keeping fit. I ran every week for years, right up until losing my dad and my partner's dad in the space of two weeks in 2017. We lost one dog in 2015 too, which broke my heart. Our remaining dog died in May of last year. I think all that killed my enthusiasm for life, hence all my hobbies falling away.

Enjoy mate.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 6, 2021, 07:34:36 pm »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 7, 2021, 10:39:54 am »

My Mum dying when she was only 61 killed off my enthusiasm for going to Kendo and then with moving to Manc I could no longer be arsed driving to the IM Marsh Campus in Allerton where we had the Dojo and back to Manchester. Regret that still.

Anyway, enjoy your day, cracking day for it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #85 on: June 7, 2021, 11:17:58 am »
Watching footy, walking, gym, cycling, Guitar, Keyboard, Singing, Karaoke, Programming in C, C++, Java, Node, 6502, 68000, 6808, PHP, Go, Retro machines, playing computer games, electronics, building circuit boards and breadboarded 'let's see' stuff involving the full range of shit and my new shiny oscilliscope, reading, building hardware, chess, crosswords, going to the cinema, watching TV series like Netflix/Amazon, Roleplaying, Pool, snooker, darts, learning new tech shit, astronomy, messing with maths, physics, history, biology and psychology, Spanish, Turkish, VR Games..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 7, 2021, 11:45:59 am »
Absolutely pissed myself when I read the first page of this thread.

'running backwards'
'killing people'

Fucking hell.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 7, 2021, 11:47:02 am »
Watching footy, walking, gym, cycling, Guitar, Keyboard, Singing, Karaoke, Programming in C, C++, Java, Node, 6502, 68000, 6808, PHP, Go, Retro machines, playing computer games, electronics, building circuit boards and breadboarded 'let's see' stuff involving the full range of shit and my new shiny oscilliscope, reading, building hardware, chess, crosswords, going to the cinema, watching TV series like Netflix/Amazon, Roleplaying, Pool, snooker, darts, learning new tech shit, astronomy, messing with maths, physics, history, biology and psychology, Spanish, Turkish, VR Games..

and that's just your dating profile...

lucky lady

Edit: Joke's aside I'm disappointed moaning about referee's didn't make the list.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2021, 11:51:26 am by naYoRHa2b »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 7, 2021, 11:49:21 am »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #89 on: June 7, 2021, 12:46:42 pm »
Naughty, does it involve a poll?

Quite often involves kicking cosmic horrors in the balls**

**Though even more often running away while trying not to go insane/ending up with your entrails draped over the nearest mountain

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 7, 2021, 01:15:06 pm »
Squash
Jazz trumpet
Golf

See! This was the quality of poster we used to get back In the day.

Then again...

mine are..

stealing lighters
moaning
poking things with a stick

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hobbies, Interests, Passions,
« Reply #91 on: June 7, 2021, 01:43:45 pm »
Made up to see this thread, hope people are honest about their hobbies and post away.

As I touched on in the mingebaggery thread, I used to hide my hobby from other people because I was embarrassed about it. Nowadays, I tell everyone, its a part of me, who I am and its absolutely nothing to be ashamed about. Same with any hobby, if it makes you happy then boss.  :)

For me, this is where it all began, 1982, Huyton Fire Station. My mum took me for a visit.

And here is where it is now, 2018, a group of good mates from Portugal, Austria, Scotland, America and Germany (and Liverpool) having a beer in Portugal. Each one of them geeks!  :)

After reading this post I'm still none the wiser as to what your hobby is?  ;D Is it putting fires out?

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 7, 2021, 02:10:11 pm »
After reading this post I'm still none the wiser as to what your hobby is?  ;D Is it putting fires out?

Hahaha my hobby is taking pictures of fire engines, not too dissimilar to a train spotter, just minus the notepad, anorak and woolly hat!

I've been into them since a child and its never left me, too unfit and asthmatic to join the fire service I kind of became a geek/groupie and thats it.

I travel around the UK and the world taking pictures of different fire engines, have my own website, had pictures published in books and magazines, you name it.

The funny thing is for years I hid it from people, especially girls and people in work, I wanted to keep my image of a footy mad, beer loving lads lad. But then one day a few years ago I thought, balls to it and balls to everyone else, its something that makes me happy to don't hide it.  :)
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #93 on: June 7, 2021, 02:18:24 pm »
Mainly football really - specifically scouting and analytics. A huge football nerd in every sense. I'm also massively into Italian Football History so spend most of my spare time reading around that - I have started writing my own book, as niche as it may be seen, which I'd like to publish at some unspecified date in the future. Mainly centred around the glory years of Serie A, the characters that drove the boom and the same characters that brought the league crashing financially until it was in the state it found itself early-mid 10s.

Running is my other big time sink and something that gives me huge personal satisfaction. I'm injured at the moment but I usually run 6 days a week. Training to get my 5K PB as quick as possible before father time takes my chance away. Ran a 17:12 not long ago. Hoping to go sub 16:30 within the next year, then plan on trying to crack a sub 35 minute 10km.

Non football related - music, film, a bit of gaming etc. Most people have these hobbies though. I'm also big into certain elements of history, as well as language and phenomenology, which relates to what I studied in Uni.

Very into art, specifically figurative works and abstract expressionism/ post expressionism.

I'm also hugely nerdy for Pokemon, I collect vintage cards and have complete sets of all of the Gen One base set runs, as well as the expansions etc Rocket and Gym Heroes - including a fair whack of 1st Editions (prized pieces being a 10 Grade 1st Edition Blaine's Charizard, 9 Grade 1st Edition Sabrina's Gengar and the crown jewel, a Grade 5 1st Edition Base Set Charizard). I still play the games, though pretty much exclusively Gens 1 - 5, sometimes dabble beyond that but post BW2 the quality dropped massively. I do free valuations for people who want a price affixing to their cards. Most are disappointed to hear their Charizard isn't the one Logic paid $180,000 for in 2020. I don't play the game competitively, nor do I run an online shop for cards but if I do pick up the odd bargain on ebay and the condition is worse than the one I've got, I'll sell on at a small profit or offer it at cost + postage to one of the people who's approached me for appraisal or wanting a specific card. The main questions I get other than prices are about how to keep the cards and which ones to invest in at present. I used to get about 5 people a week contact me, since the boom and all the Youtuber nonsense last year, it's about 50. A lot of people who don't really have a clue have been dropping a lot of money on questionable 'investments.'
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 7, 2021, 02:21:05 pm »

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 7, 2021, 02:22:52 pm »
Rock climbing/mountaineering/hill walking
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #96 on: June 7, 2021, 02:32:28 pm »
Mainly football really - specifically scouting and analytics. A huge football nerd in every sense. I'm also massively into Italian Football History so spend most of my spare time reading around that - I have started writing my own book, as niche as it may be seen, which I'd like to publish at some unspecified date in the future. Mainly centred around the glory years of Serie A, the characters that drove the boom and the same characters that brought the league crashing financially until it was in the state it found itself early-mid 10s.

Running is my other big time sink and something that gives me huge personal satisfaction. I'm injured at the moment but I usually run 6 days a week. Training to get my 5K PB as quick as possible before father time takes my chance away. Ran a 17:12 not long ago. Hoping to go sub 16:30 within the next year, then plan on trying to crack a sub 35 minute 10km.

Non football related - music, film, a bit of gaming etc. Most people have these hobbies though. I'm also big into certain elements of history, as well as language and phenomenology, which relates to what I studied in Uni.

Very into art, specifically figurative works and abstract expressionism/ post expressionism.

I'm also hugely nerdy for Pokemon, I collect vintage cards and have complete sets of all of the Gen One base set runs, as well as the expansions etc Rocket and Gym Heroes - including a fair whack of 1st Editions (prized pieces being a 10 Grade 1st Edition Blaine's Charizard, 9 Grade 1st Edition Sabrina's Gengar and the crown jewel, a Grade 5 1st Edition Base Set Charizard). I still play the games, though pretty much exclusively Gens 1 - 5, sometimes dabble beyond that but post BW2 the quality dropped massively. I do free valuations for people who want a price affixing to their cards. Most are disappointed to hear their Charizard isn't the one Logic paid $180,000 for in 2020. I don't play the game competitively, nor do I run an online shop for cards but if I do pick up the odd bargain on ebay and the condition is worse than the one I've got, I'll sell on at a small profit or offer it at cost + postage to one of the people who's approached me for appraisal or wanting a specific card. The main questions I get other than prices are about how to keep the cards and which ones to invest in at present. I used to get about 5 people a week contact me, since the boom and all the Youtuber nonsense last year, it's about 50. A lot of people who don't really have a clue have been dropping a lot of money on questionable 'investments.'

Thats got to be your retirement sorted already
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #97 on: June 7, 2021, 02:50:45 pm »
Thats got to be your retirement sorted already
It's a tidy sum for sure, worth more money than I've ever actually had in my life I'd say. I've been tempted to flog them of late with the boom in them to help finance a house deposit but nostalgia and sentimental value has made me hold onto them. I'm hoping I can find it in me to sell them in the future ;D Condition is king with these things, and as a lot of mine were ones I got as an 8 year old kid, many are in poor (by PSA Grading standards) conditions, 2s and 3s. There's some I've managed to keep in very good condition and others I've purchased down the years that are in top notch condition. I wouldn't like to put a number on the value but I do hope that like you say, it could make me pretty comfortable at some stage! It's worth saying that not all of my cards are first editions - where the big money is.

In terms of when I built my collection, most of it was as a kid between the ages of 7-10, then I kind of grew out of it, before strangely picking it up again after uni and starting to use eBay to fill gaps in my collection, mainly paying a couple of quid a card. You would be amazed at the price people are paying for them now, as well as how good and convincing fakes are.

Most I've ever paid for a card was £195 for a 1st Edition Dark Charizard from the 99/00 Rocket Base Set Expansion. Missus wasn't too pleased but I reckon it's probably doubled in value nearly. It's easy getting stung though, people usually over-egg the condition of their cards so I only buy where there's a lot of photos with really good clarity. The difference in value between a PSA 10 and a 9 can literally be thousands of pounds but what that maybe represents on the card is a minute centreing difference or the slightest, most miniscule discolouration on the print of the card. It's nuts, to the naked eye a grade 7 will look nigh-on perfect.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2021, 02:53:09 pm by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 7, 2021, 02:58:09 pm »
Made up to see this thread, hope people are honest about their hobbies and post away.

As I touched on in the mingebaggery thread, I used to hide my hobby from other people because I was embarrassed about it. Nowadays, I tell everyone, its a part of me, who I am and its absolutely nothing to be ashamed about. Same with any hobby, if it makes you happy then boss.  :)

For me, this is where it all began, 1982, Huyton Fire Station. My mum took me for a visit.

Exactly. So long as you aren't hurting anyone, then it's about what you like.

One hobby the pandemic has had a big effect on is the truck spotters and specifically the Stobart Spotters. Obviously, alongside the restrictions on going out and about, once they eased, the company had to ask Spotters to not visit the premises. Usually there will be a few outside the depot I work out of and a lot at Rugby, its a bit strange not seeing them. With everything that's gone on, we haven't really changed any units out of our place anyway, there are only a couple of 20 and 21 plate trucks that have been added to the fleet, so the NW spotters haven't missed much.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 7, 2021, 03:33:57 pm »
the Stobart Spotters.

???

Surely there isn't such a thing
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 7, 2021, 03:53:31 pm »
???

Surely there isn't such a thing

Yes, its totally true. https://stobartclubandshop.co.uk/

Most are OK, they'll stop you for a chat at the services, wave when they drive past and they visit the depots and hang about.

Jools Holland is one. When he was on tour with squeeze, he used to make spare cash by betting people a fiver that when they overtook a Stobart lorry, the driver would be wearing a tie, he always won as they were, as back then it was a company rule that drivers wore a shirt and tie. The ties have gone, but not the shirts.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2021, 03:55:43 pm by rob1966 »

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 7, 2021, 04:22:56 pm »
Yes, its totally true. https://stobartclubandshop.co.uk/

Most are OK, they'll stop you for a chat at the services, wave when they drive past and they visit the depots and hang about.

Jools Holland is one. When he was on tour with squeeze, he used to make spare cash by betting people a fiver that when they overtook a Stobart lorry, the driver would be wearing a tie, he always won as they were, as back then it was a company rule that drivers wore a shirt and tie. The ties have gone, but not the shirts.

Do the lorrys still all have girls names on the front?

I used to keep an eye out for Norbert Dentressangle lorries when I was out on the road but it never caught on as a pastime.  :)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 7, 2021, 04:57:27 pm »
Do the lorrys still all have girls names on the front?

I used to keep an eye out for Norbert Dentressangle lorries when I was out on the road but it never caught on as a pastime.  :)

Yes, still doing it. Members of the Fan Club can submit a request to have a name added. There have only been two occasions I know of where a male name was used, the first was Valentino for Valentino Rossi and the second was in honour of Lee Rigby.

The Sugababes had trucks named after them at one point, I drove the ones named after Mutya and Heidi.

Sounds weird when I come home and say to the missus I was in Katherine or Chloe Olivia today ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 7, 2021, 05:03:28 pm »

haha mad as fuck that's cropped up on here.  I always used to try and spy Norbet's trucks.  Dentressangle is such a cool name :)

I remember spotting Eddies trucks mid to late 90's. 

Jack Richards has his yard down the road from me.  They are everywhere.  Also went to a wedding at James Irlam's place a while back.  Irlam's are a big trucking outfit around here too.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #104 on: June 7, 2021, 05:56:08 pm »
You’re not a true lorry spotter unless you’re into McBurney’s.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 7, 2021, 08:30:31 pm »
haha mad as fuck that's cropped up on here.  I always used to try and spy Norbet's trucks.  Dentressangle is such a cool name :)

I remember spotting Eddies trucks mid to late 90's. 

Jack Richards has his yard down the road from me.  They are everywhere.  Also went to a wedding at James Irlam's place a while back.  Irlam's are a big trucking outfit around here too.

Are Irlams trading again? Stobart bought them out years ago and turned the yard in Stoke into a Stobart depot. I remember dragging a few Irlam trailers around before the livery went.

You’re not a true lorry spotter unless you’re into McBurney’s.

:D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: June 7, 2021, 11:52:46 pm »
My Mum dying when she was only 61 killed off my enthusiasm for going to Kendo and then with moving to Manc I could no longer be arsed driving to the IM Marsh Campus in Allerton where we had the Dojo and back to Manchester. Regret that still.

Anyway, enjoy your day, cracking day for it.
Cheers Rob.

We've found this very quiet spot on the banks of the Dee Marshes and the picnic was lovely. The weather was nice. Saw a Kestrel hunting and a number of white Egrets flying by. No owls today though. Fish and chips on West Kirby prom for supper again. It's helped motivate me to do more of the things I enjoy. Life's short, isn't it, so best make the most of it. 😄

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 8, 2021, 11:18:34 am »
Are Irlams trading again? Stobart bought them out years ago and turned the yard in Stoke into a Stobart depot. I remember dragging a few Irlam trailers around before the livery went.

:D

Actually Rob you are right mate.  Irlam did sell out to Eddie but kept their livery for a while (now completely moved to Stobart colours).  Also, I meant David Irlam who was one of the 4 grandsons and was CEO.  The brothers have moved into the hospitality sector now. Fancy weddings and stuff at the property's they own.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 8, 2021, 01:25:32 pm »
Cheers Rob.

We've found this very quiet spot on the banks of the Dee Marshes and the picnic was lovely. The weather was nice. Saw a Kestrel hunting and a number of white Egrets flying by. No owls today though. Fish and chips on West Kirby prom for supper again. It's helped motivate me to do more of the things I enjoy. Life's short, isn't it, so best make the most of it. 😄

Amen to that mate 👍

Sounds like you had an enjoyable, relaxed and reflective day, something we all need more of.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 8, 2021, 02:19:19 pm »
I used to play a lot of cricket back in the day.  It's mostly just watching on the box these days though.

I started writing quizzes a few years back, so I research and write a handful of those each year.  I try and do something a bit more than just straightforward question and answer though, so it's been editing/manipulating/synchronising videos and music, a bit of photoshopping and generally trying to make it a bit more interesting to put together and to take part in.

I've been trying to learn/teach myself Piano over the last 10 or 11 months.  I couldn't get a teacher due to lockdown restrictions so I've been muddling along with books, instructional videos and that kind of thing.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #110 on: June 8, 2021, 02:34:34 pm »
I used to play a lot of cricket back in the day.  It's mostly just watching on the box these days though.

I started writing quizzes a few years back, so I research and write a handful of those each year.  I try and do something a bit more than just straightforward question and answer though, so it's been editing/manipulating/synchronising videos and music, a bit of photoshopping and generally trying to make it a bit more interesting to put together and to take part in.

I've been trying to learn/teach myself Piano over the last 10 or 11 months.  I couldn't get a teacher due to lockdown restrictions so I've been muddling along with books, instructional videos and that kind of thing.

Do you keep playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order?

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 8, 2021, 02:48:55 pm »
Do you keep playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order?

:)

That’s about the size of it. Tune and timing are vastly overrated if you ask me.

Offline Thoros Of Myr

• Anny Roader
« Reply #112 on: July 7, 2021, 07:25:58 pm »
I picked up brazilian jiu jitsu in my 30's.

Amazing sport. Lucky to be in a club with loads of like minded lads and ladies.

Rewarding as fuck. Improvements are inevitable if slow.

Cant recommend it enough as a hobby. Understand its daunting to rock up to a gym and jump in between someones legs and try get out.

Most gyms have beginners/fundamental classes so you're not swarmed every class.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 8, 2021, 02:03:02 am »
Got a few hobbies, with gaming being the main one, pretty much game every night with two friends.

We’ve also recently decided to get back into YuGiOh, after not playing it for 15 years, a lot has changed!
We’ve decided to stick to the old format and then work our way upto the new format eventually.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2023, 08:48:25 am »
I got the kids a couple of train sets about 11 years ago, but don't really have the space to set them up, so they just sit in the loft. The eldest has mentioned us setting them up at some point.

Hornby are re-introducing TT (Table top) scale, 1:120 rather than 1:76 and I'm tempted to get a set, but the Digital sets are bloody expensive, £270  :o
https://uk.hornby.com/products/scotsman-digital-train-set-tt1001txsm?_br_psugg_q=tt1001txsm

Offline Rymildet

• Boys Pen
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2023, 09:22:31 pm »
Sports and work are my main hobbies. Hope to have more spare time this year.