Author Topic: Digital Camera: Which one?  (Read 56940 times)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
Re: Digital Camera: Which one?
« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:11 am »
bought me missus a compact Casio Exilim 10mp for xmas, very light and takes excellent pictures, sadly it's pink, but can be got in other colours

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #321 on: September 7, 2022, 03:00:09 am »
Hi guys

So I was wanting to book a professional photo shoot for my new born and the prices are ridiculous (£500 for a full package!) and it got me thinking, what if I invested in a camera and took them myself? Only thing is I have no clue about Cameras and their megapixels/resolutions etc

Is there anything decent to buy around £300? If,not what price range do I need to be looking at to take and print good quality photographs out?

Thanks in advance  :wave

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #322 on: September 7, 2022, 10:11:17 am »
I wouldn't get too hung up on the megapixel/resolution because the higher the megapixel doesn't always mean the better photograph.  If you have a high megapixel camera with a small sensor then you will find that lower light photos can be grainy.  A lot also depends on the sensor and lens.

It all depends what you want.  Do you want a camera that you can just put away in your pocket (small point and shoot), or is it something that you're interest in and want to get into photography as you could go down the DSLR route, but that can then become expensive with buying different lenses.

A professional photoshoot will get you high quality images and they'll have a proper setup with all the right lighting etc.  Or you could spend £200-300 on a point and shoot and you'll get decent pics, but you'll know that they're not professionally done.  My cameras never come out of the drawer now as I just use my iphone!

Personally I'd shop about as £500 seems expensive.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: September 7, 2022, 10:16:38 am »
If you are spending 300 anyway email a photographer they will do a deal, it wont matter if you have a 5 grand camera if you don't know how to use it and a lot of the work is done in post shoot anyway. If its something you want to learn the sigma dp3 is simple to use and likely in that price range.

If you want super cheap option borrow a good camera, or use/ borrow a friends i phone 11 pro and upwards are excellent cameras.

If you go down the cheap option dm me and i could edit a few.   
No time for caution.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #324 on: September 7, 2022, 07:23:05 pm »
I wouldn't get too hung up on the megapixel/resolution because the higher the megapixel doesn't always mean the better photograph.  If you have a high megapixel camera with a small sensor then you will find that lower light photos can be grainy.  A lot also depends on the sensor and lens.

It all depends what you want.  Do you want a camera that you can just put away in your pocket (small point and shoot), or is it something that you're interest in and want to get into photography as you could go down the DSLR route, but that can then become expensive with buying different lenses.

A professional photoshoot will get you high quality images and they'll have a proper setup with all the right lighting etc.  Or you could spend £200-300 on a point and shoot and you'll get decent pics, but you'll know that they're not professionally done.  My cameras never come out of the drawer now as I just use my iphone!

Personally I'd shop about as £500 seems expensive.

i'm thinking of buying a camera for family events and to take memories of the kids growing up, my cousin had a Nikon that i used a few years back which i quite liked, the quality was pretty good no idea what model it was.

also, i am buying the Iphone 14 Pro Max this week when it gets released, my wife is telling me to leave the camera as the iphone quality should be good enough, but i'm not sure. what do you think? I just feel you can do more and get better quality photographs with an actual camera instead of a phone.. or am i being stupid?  ;D

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #325 on: September 7, 2022, 07:25:00 pm »
If you are spending 300 anyway email a photographer they will do a deal, it wont matter if you have a 5 grand camera if you don't know how to use it and a lot of the work is done in post shoot anyway. If its something you want to learn the sigma dp3 is simple to use and likely in that price range.

If you want super cheap option borrow a good camera, or use/ borrow a friends i phone 11 pro and upwards are excellent cameras.

If you go down the cheap option dm me and i could edit a few.

I think we're going to get a professional photo shoot done and i'm going to buy a camera, as i want one for future memories etc

i'm getting the iphone 14 pro max soon, would you say that would be just as good as getting a DSLR camera, say a Nikon or a Canon?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #326 on: September 7, 2022, 07:40:31 pm »
I think we're going to get a professional photo shoot done and i'm going to buy a camera, as i want one for future memories etc

i'm getting the iphone 14 pro max soon, would you say that would be just as good as getting a DSLR camera, say a Nikon or a Canon?

So she told you what you're doing  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: September 7, 2022, 11:00:40 pm »
i'm thinking of buying a camera for family events and to take memories of the kids growing up, my cousin had a Nikon that i used a few years back which i quite liked, the quality was pretty good no idea what model it was.

also, i am buying the Iphone 14 Pro Max this week when it gets released, my wife is telling me to leave the camera as the iphone quality should be good enough, but i'm not sure. what do you think? I just feel you can do more and get better quality photographs with an actual camera instead of a phone.. or am i being stupid?  ;D

If you want to learn a new hobby buy a camera , your new i phone will do an outstanding job, a dslr camera is better only if you have the knowledge on how to use it well, as your first outings will not be as good as a new i phone.
No time for caution.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #328 on: September 7, 2022, 11:07:53 pm »

Hold off buying a camera until you get your iPhone, you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how good the camera is on the iPhone.

Plus buying an expensive camera doesn’t automatically mean you’ll get good or better photos. You could give a good photographer an iPhone 11 to take pictures and give someone an expensive DSLR setup who has no creativity or photography skills and I know which will give you the better photos!

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #329 on: September 8, 2022, 01:41:05 pm »

So she told you what you're doing  ;D

pretty much  ;D

If you want to learn a new hobby buy a camera , your new i phone will do an outstanding job, a dslr camera is better only if you have the knowledge on how to use it well, as your first outings will not be as good as a new i phone.

Hold off buying a camera until you get your iPhone, you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how good the camera is on the iPhone.

Plus buying an expensive camera doesn’t automatically mean you’ll get good or better photos. You could give a good photographer an iPhone 11 to take pictures and give someone an expensive DSLR setup who has no creativity or photography skills and I know which will give you the better photos!

Yeah i'll check out the iphone camera out first and see what it's like, but i am still wanting to get a DSLR for the future, for all family members to use when they go on holiday or have any events etc

what DSLR would you guys recommend? i don't want to be spending too much on the camera, i'm looking at around £200-£300 ish.
Is it just Nikon and Canon i need to be looking or are they any other makes that are equally as good?

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #330 on: September 8, 2022, 08:58:32 pm »
I always had Canon DSLR gear and that was good, Nikon is also good as well. Neither really better than the other, it’s a bit like debating Apple v Android.

If you’re going down the DSLR route then you might want to expand your budget, as you won’t get much for £200-300 unless you’re starting off with second hand kit.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #331 on: September 8, 2022, 09:17:16 pm »
pretty much  ;D

Some battles are just not worth fighting Padawan.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: September 28, 2022, 12:30:30 am »
pretty much  ;D

Yeah i'll check out the iphone camera out first and see what it's like, but i am still wanting to get a DSLR for the future, for all family members to use when they go on holiday or have any events etc

what DSLR would you guys recommend? i don't want to be spending too much on the camera, i'm looking at around £200-£300 ish.
Is it just Nikon and Canon i need to be looking or are they any other makes that are equally as good?

It’s not all Nikon and Canon. I’m a pro and I shoot Sony these days. I’ve also owned some great fujis. My film cameras are still Nikon though.

If your budget is <£300 you’ll not get anything significantly better than what your phone can do. And unless you truly want to learn your camera (shoot manual and edit RAW images), I can see little advantage over shooting with your phone.

My advice, if you’re serious about learning, would be to go secondhand. And don’t bother with a DSLR - get a mirrorless camera. Pick up something like a Fuji XT20 or X100 and learn to use it manually. And practice, practice, practice. The Fuji cameras are a wee bit beautiful too which will make you want to use it.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #333 on: September 28, 2022, 11:05:54 am »
It’s not all Nikon and Canon. I’m a pro and I shoot Sony these days. I’ve also owned some great fujis. My film cameras are still Nikon though.

If your budget is <£300 you’ll not get anything significantly better than what your phone can do. And unless you truly want to learn your camera (shoot manual and edit RAW images), I can see little advantage over shooting with your phone.

My advice, if you’re serious about learning, would be to go secondhand. And don’t bother with a DSLR - get a mirrorless camera. Pick up something like a Fuji XT20 or X100 and learn to use it manually. And practice, practice, practice. The Fuji cameras are a wee bit beautiful too which will make you want to use it.

This is the thing that a lot of people don't realise, buying a decent camera doesn't automatically mean that you're going to get great pictures.  You can spend a lot of money on a DSLR or mirrorless camera and then automatically expect the pictures to be wow, especially when shooting on manual.  If you're wanting anything more than a point and shoot camera then there's quite a big learning curve, something that I discovered when I got into photography many years ago.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #334 on: September 29, 2022, 09:50:57 am »
Hi guys

i still dont have my iphone 14 pro max, it's not in stock anywhere so for now i think i am going to get a decent camera

can up my budget to £500, would that be a decent amount?  :wave

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: October 2, 2022, 12:45:18 pm »
If you want something new, you could do worse than the Panasonic DMC-GX80EB-K.  I've not used it, but it reviews well and costs 350 or so. You could probably find a lens bundle for £500.  I've used other panasonic cameras that have been great.

The Sony a6000 will also get you great shots and can be got for under £500 with a lens included. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ILCE6000LB-Compact-SELP1650-Electronic/dp/B00IE9XHE0/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_3_1/259-7158582-0372938?pd_rd_w=1uv2P&content-id=amzn1.sym.a0b3831c-e4a4-4b9c-9a28-e04b8e3b1f51&pf_rd_p=a0b3831c-e4a4-4b9c-9a28-e04b8e3b1f51&pf_rd_r=70EK7CS8QW7JEF6C1WXS&pd_rd_wg=8Sg1G&pd_rd_r=4e20ca53-89e4-4e43-80df-db187725d4a6&pd_rd_i=B00IE9XHE0&psc=1

The problem with these cameras are that they are designed more to be point and shoot so maybe not the best to learn photography with.  If that's all you want to do (let the camera make the decisions) both options will be fine.  But again, the iphone will do the same thing and is more likely to always be with you.

If it was me, I'd scour ebay to get something like the Fuji XT2 (current gen is the xt4 but the second gen is still a very capable camera).  I think you'd be lucky to find one with a lens for under £500 though.  I bought one 5 years ago for £1200 (body only) so that's the price point the camera used to be at. 

For me, it's all about the lens rather than a body.  I'd rather shoot with a budget camera with a great prime lens than a £5k camera with a rubbish kit lens.

If buying second had, look out for actuations/clicks.  A camera is like a car - the more clicks, the more likely you'll have problems. Some will shoot away for 500k clicks, other shutters will give up the ghost at 100k.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2022, 12:48:30 pm by thejbs »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #336 on: October 4, 2022, 03:50:38 pm »
I currently have a D5200 which I bought around 2013, it still works perfectly but i'd like to upgrade to something new, preferably another Nikon.

Any recommendations?

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: October 4, 2022, 11:55:47 pm »
I currently have a D5200 which I bought around 2013, it still works perfectly but i'd like to upgrade to something new, preferably another Nikon.

Any recommendations?

The latest version of it is the d5600. A good camera but 6 year old tech by this stage.

If you wanted a decent upgrade, I’d look for a second hand d750. Also old tech but, pound for pound, still one of the best Nikon dslrs I’ve used. It’s full frame though, so any dx lenses wouldn’t work well on it.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: October 5, 2022, 11:38:37 am »
The latest version of it is the d5600. A good camera but 6 year old tech by this stage.

If you wanted a decent upgrade, I’d look for a second hand d750. Also old tech but, pound for pound, still one of the best Nikon dslrs I’ve used. It’s full frame though, so any dx lenses wouldn’t work well on it.

Yeah I went to a camera shop yesterday and asked around, they actually recommend just starting from scratch really. Talking about getting the Sony S7IV. They wouldn’t even take my old camera or lenses cause they are too old. Plus if I do take a DSLR camera they said in a couple of years it’s gonna be obsolete again and probably discontinued. Plus parts will be hard to come by.

I’ve used the D5200 for years with no problem and kinda looking to get something I don’t have to upgrade for years. So the Sony S7IV might be a good investment for 5-10 years.

I found another company that buys old camera equipment so it seems I can get around $500 for my old stuff which is pretty decent.

Will have a think on it.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: October 5, 2022, 04:20:19 pm »
Yeah I went to a camera shop yesterday and asked around, they actually recommend just starting from scratch really. Talking about getting the Sony S7IV. They wouldn’t even take my old camera or lenses cause they are too old. Plus if I do take a DSLR camera they said in a couple of years it’s gonna be obsolete again and probably discontinued. Plus parts will be hard to come by.

I’ve used the D5200 for years with no problem and kinda looking to get something I don’t have to upgrade for years. So the Sony S7IV might be a good investment for 5-10 years.

I found another company that buys old camera equipment so it seems I can get around $500 for my old stuff which is pretty decent.

Will have a think on it.

Is that the Sony A7IV?  It's an absolutely brilliant camera, but you could save a whack (and not sacrifice much) by getting the previous generation A7III. I've been using the A7III for 4 years now and absolutely love it.  Had a loan of the A7IV and, although brilliant, there was nothing to make me want to upgrade - and a few things I loathed about it. 

But yeah, if you want a significant improvement on your old Nikon, it would probably take a system change.  In terms of editing, the images from the A7III are pretty similar to Nikon, probably because Sony have made a lot of Nikon sensors.  Ergonomically, Nikon and Sony are pretty close too. 

There are some great lenses for the Sony FE system. The Sony 35 f1.8, 55 f1.8 and 85 f1.8 are fantastic prime lenses for the relatively modest price.  Tamron (part owned by sony) do some brilliant zooms.  They have a (pretty expensive and large) 35-150mm lens which could pretty much cover anything! 

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: October 5, 2022, 04:48:00 pm »
Is that the Sony A7IV?  It's an absolutely brilliant camera, but you could save a whack (and not sacrifice much) by getting the previous generation A7III. I've been using the A7III for 4 years now and absolutely love it.  Had a loan of the A7IV and, although brilliant, there was nothing to make me want to upgrade - and a few things I loathed about it. 

But yeah, if you want a significant improvement on your old Nikon, it would probably take a system change.  In terms of editing, the images from the A7III are pretty similar to Nikon, probably because Sony have made a lot of Nikon sensors.  Ergonomically, Nikon and Sony are pretty close too. 

There are some great lenses for the Sony FE system. The Sony 35 f1.8, 55 f1.8 and 85 f1.8 are fantastic prime lenses for the relatively modest price.  Tamron (part owned by sony) do some brilliant zooms.  They have a (pretty expensive and large) 35-150mm lens which could pretty much cover anything! 

Yeah they were talking about the Sony S7IV, the mirrorless new one. I've been googling it and watching some youtube vids on it and it looks like a brilliant camera. I watched a vid comparing it to the S7III and the difference wasn't too much but there were some differences.

I'll have to decide if the price difference is worth it. Was looking at the sigma lenses, specifically the 150-600m one and that looks like a good telescopic lens that I would probably use. I do need some other lenses if I am going to start from scratch.

Will definitely have a look at the couple you have suggested.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: October 5, 2022, 08:06:02 pm »
Yeah they were talking about the Sony S7IV, the mirrorless new one. I've been googling it and watching some youtube vids on it and it looks like a brilliant camera. I watched a vid comparing it to the S7III and the difference wasn't too much but there were some differences.

I'll have to decide if the price difference is worth it. Was looking at the sigma lenses, specifically the 150-600m one and that looks like a good telescopic lens that I would probably use. I do need some other lenses if I am going to start from scratch.

Will definitely have a look at the couple you have suggested.

I have that lens. Use it very rarely but it’s a great bang for Buck piece of glass.

If money was no object, we’d replace all our a7iii bodies with Sony A1s but I can’t justify >£20k on cameras that’ll be obsolete in 5/6 years.

The things that pissed me off about the mkIV were: too many mp; shitty new tilt screen; no improvement on silent shooting.

The tilt screen thing alone was enough to make me not want it. I did like the new viewfinder and the menu system. It also has lossless compressed raw.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 08:09:18 pm by thejbs »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: October 5, 2022, 08:17:23 pm »
I have that lens. Use it very rarely but it’s a great bang for Buck piece of glass.

If money was no object, we’d replace all our a7iii bodies with Sony A1s but I can’t justify >£20k on cameras that’ll be obsolete in 5/6 years.

The things that pissed me off about the mkIV were: too many mp; shitty new tilt screen; no improvement on silent shooting.

The tilt screen thing alone was enough to make me not want it. I did like the new viewfinder and the menu system. It also has lossless compressed raw.

I used it a lot when I went on safari to SA, and we are planning on going back in around 5 years or so. Plus I have a lot of lakes near me and do a bit of birding here on the greenways so I would probably use it quite a bit.

Yeah i'm not spending 20k on a camera but if i'm gonna make an investment for the next 10 years i'll definitely be able to spend around $4K on a camera and a few lenses.

I've never used a tilt screen before so not sure how I would be with it, but I'm not too sure it would bother me too much.

Been watching quite a few S7III v IV and most people say if you're looking for a new camera and don't have either get the S7IV but if you already have the S7III then there's really no reason to upgrade.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #343 on: November 6, 2022, 01:33:52 pm »
i have sony rx-10 . let's say if i bought canon r7 with 100-500m lens would it be a big leap for bird photography ?
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: November 8, 2022, 09:48:13 am »
On the much more premium end, but recently bought a Fujifilm X100V and it's the most fun i've had with photography in ages. sold my DSLR kit as this nifty lil thing is incredible and has so many useful features beyond your average point-and-shoot and even trumps some of the features of my DSLR. Has basically been with me around my neck like 75% of the time I leave my house the past 6 months or so.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2022, 09:50:58 am by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: November 20, 2022, 11:00:21 pm »
On the much more premium end, but recently bought a Fujifilm X100V and it's the most fun i've had with photography in ages. sold my DSLR kit as this nifty lil thing is incredible and has so many useful features beyond your average point-and-shoot and even trumps some of the features of my DSLR. Has basically been with me around my neck like 75% of the time I leave my house the past 6 months or so.

Those Fujis are just so pleasant and tactile to use. Love them.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: November 20, 2022, 11:08:54 pm »
Still deciding on what to purchase as my next setup.

Right now it's between the Canon R6 Mark II or the Sony a7IV.

My problem is the lenses for Canon, they are super expensive and not open to 3rd party.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: November 21, 2022, 04:12:19 pm »
Still deciding on what to purchase as my next setup.

Right now it's between the Canon R6 Mark II or the Sony a7IV.

My problem is the lenses for Canon, they are super expensive and not open to 3rd party.

Ok so I went to my local camera shop, funny enough they were having a special on the Sony a7IV, $300 cheaper than anywhere I can find, they were doing some sort of Sony trade in deal for the store.

So got that. My setup right now is as follows.

Sony A7IV
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens for Sony E
Tamron 70-300mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III RXD Telephoto Zoom Lens for Sony E-Mount
Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO SLR Black Macro Lens
Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens OB

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: November 25, 2022, 08:52:32 am »
That’s some setup! Happy snapping!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: November 25, 2022, 01:07:16 pm »
That’s some setup! Happy snapping!

Thanks! Took it out the other day, still getting used to it, but so far very happy with it!

The macro lens arrives sometime today, so will see what I can get with that.

Hoping it’s about a 10yr investment, so quite a bit upfront, but not gonna have to upgrade for a long while.