Author Topic: Taskmaster  (Read 27207 times)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Taskmaster
« Reply #240 on: December 2, 2022, 09:04:23 pm »
Really enjoyed that series - Fern and John my favourites. Even Sarah Millican had her moments.

Not sure about that lineup for the next series, don't know Kiell Smith-Bynoe or Mae Martin. Frankie Boyle is a big coup I guess but not sure how his style will fit the show.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #241 on: December 5, 2022, 09:00:10 pm »
Really enjoyed that series - Fern and John my favourites. Even Sarah Millican had her moments.

Not sure about that lineup for the next series, don't know Kiell Smith-Bynoe or Mae Martin. Frankie Boyle is a big coup I guess but not sure how his style will fit the show.

Mae Martin is ace ;D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #242 on: December 6, 2022, 12:33:25 am »
Might be controversial but I fucking hate Frankie Boyle, he's a snidey shite, even if he can be funny
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 7, 2023, 02:21:59 pm »

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: January 7, 2023, 04:50:51 pm »
Did no one watch this? Rebecca was brilliant. Good episode.

I only knew 2 of the contestants but liked it as always. I thought the three ladies were excellent. Not that enamoured with the 2 blokes.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #245 on: March 16, 2023, 09:50:37 am »
Back on 30th March...

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2023, 12:43:52 pm »
Back on 30th March...

And renewed for 6 more series!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2023, 02:26:44 pm »

Alex will be richer than Musk.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2023, 03:04:40 pm »

You have to wonder at what point it will become stale, or they run out of task ideas or suitable guests. Linked to that, I question if they should leave it longer between series' as they're only having 2-3 months breaks now.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2023, 03:15:54 pm »
Great stuff!

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2023, 03:54:43 pm »
Did anyone ever see the American version? Greg wasnt in it but little Alex Horne was. Just wondered how it stood up. Im guessing not that good as it only lasted 8 episodes.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2023, 05:57:20 pm »
Did anyone ever see the American version? Greg wasnt in it but little Alex Horne was. Just wondered how it stood up. Im guessing not that good as it only lasted 8 episodes.

They were only 20 minute episodes - I think 2 filmed tasks and the studio task (no prize task). I think they only actually aired the first episode!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2023, 06:35:20 pm »
You have to wonder at what point it will become stale, or they run out of task ideas or suitable guests. Linked to that, I question if they should leave it longer between series' as they're only having 2-3 months breaks now.
Alex Horn says he’s finding it easier to come up with ideas for tasks as time goes on…

It’s not really about the tasks though, it’s giving people a chance to shine as themselves.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2023, 07:45:11 pm »
They were only 20 minute episodes - I think 2 filmed tasks and the studio task (no prize task). I think they only actually aired the first episode!

Thanks. Always wondered, as I couldn't see it working without Greg.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2023, 10:44:32 pm »

The format can run as long as they can deliver with guests I think, and there's still a long list of UK/Irish comedians who've not done it yet and would be great. Jennifer Saunders, Bill Bailey, Adam Buxton, Chris Addison, Josie Long, Richard Ayoade, Marcus Brigstocke, Rob Brydon, Robert Webb, Jack Dee, Rufus Hound, Lee Mack, Milton Jones, Miles Jupp, Dianne Morgan, Lucy Beaumont, Ross Noble, Mo Gilligan, Russel Kane, John Robins, Issy Suttie, Matt Lucas...

I mean it's a pretty endless list really. I can't see them ever running out of willing, funny people.

It's almost a blank canvas because the tasks allow a huge range of creativity and the contestants all bring something different. The element of competition keeps it interesting even though it doesn't really matter who wins.

Frankly I hope they get to 25 series so that they can do a Champion of Champion of Champions. Will already have three of the contestants in the next 12 months or so. That person will have won Taskmaster ;D

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2023, 06:33:28 am »
Thanks. Always wondered, as I couldn't see it working without Greg.

The US version was terrible, but the New Zealand one is amazing. The 2nd series of that is one of my favourite Taskmaster series. If you can find it online, watch the first series to get used to their version (Alex Horne isn't in it, it's doe by Jeremy Wells (TM) and Paul Williams (Assistant))

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2023, 06:36:04 am »
The format can run as long as they can deliver with guests I think, and there's still a long list of UK/Irish comedians who've not done it yet and would be great. Jennifer Saunders, Bill Bailey, Adam Buxton, Chris Addison, Josie Long, Richard Ayoade, Marcus Brigstocke, Rob Brydon, Robert Webb, Jack Dee, Rufus Hound, Lee Mack, Milton Jones, Miles Jupp, Dianne Morgan, Lucy Beaumont, Ross Noble, Mo Gilligan, Russel Kane, John Robins, Issy Suttie, Matt Lucas...

I mean it's a pretty endless list really. I can't see them ever running out of willing, funny people.

It's almost a blank canvas because the tasks allow a huge range of creativity and the contestants all bring something different. The element of competition keeps it interesting even though it doesn't really matter who wins.

Frankly I hope they get to 25 series so that they can do a Champion of Champion of Champions. Will already have three of the contestants in the next 12 months or so. That person will have won Taskmaster ;D

To add to that, there is no loss in it going stale either. With a great series, they risk ruining lots of work making a great story. With something like Taskmaster, if it goes a bit off, viewing figures drop etc it's not really an issue in terms of they can just stop making it and the rest of the series still stand on their own as funny television.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2023, 08:30:03 am »

Plus it's not even reliant on people I know of to be good

I'd never heard of any of the three women on the series before last (gonna watch the newest series next week), and I really liked Sophie and thought Judi was one of the best contestants they've had. Think that series had the right balance of two competitors, two oddballs and one exasperated bullshitter.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 08:31:35 am by rowan_d »

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2023, 08:56:23 am »
The US version was terrible, but the New Zealand one is amazing. The 2nd series of that is one of my favourite Taskmaster series. If you can find it online, watch the first series to get used to their version (Alex Horne isn't in it, it's doe by Jeremy Wells (TM) and Paul Williams (Assistant))

Cheers, will have a look at it.

Yes, no end of possible guests. Even ones who aren't strictly comics sometimes shine like in the New Years specials.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: April 5, 2023, 04:49:44 pm »
Promising start last week. Boyle not completing task 6 months+ later ;D

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #260 on: April 5, 2023, 11:21:43 pm »
Watched S14 last week

Think 13 and 14 are the best series since 7. New Years' Treat wasn't very good, reckon the vibe doesn't really work for one-off episodes.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 16, 2023, 10:29:57 pm »
No one watching the new season?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2023, 08:48:01 am »
No one watching the new season?

Yep. Think it's had a really strong start! Good dynamic between the 5 of them.. I think the show is at its best when the contestants complain about how the points are awarded and go in on each other.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2023, 08:54:00 am »
Jenny Eclair is really enjoying herself. Frankie Boyle is probably giving more of a fuck about it than I thought he would. The show was probably beneath him a few years ago but not now.

Kiell Smith-Bynoe is funnier than I thought he would be. Ivo is just comically awkward like a white Richard Ayoade.

Mae Martin is probably the least funny but they do well at the team tasks.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 10:57:46 am by gazzalfc »

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #264 on: April 17, 2023, 10:00:06 am »
Jenny Eclair is really enjoying herself. Frankie Boyle is probably giving more of a fuck about it than I thought he would. The show was probably above him a few years ago but not now.

Kiell Smith-Bynoe is funnier than I thought he would be. Ivo is just comically awkward like a white Richard Ayoade.

Mae Martin is probably the least funny but they do well at the team tasks.

Mae brings a 'Taskmaster superfan' vibe to the show. Always looking for the hidden tricks.

Jenny has been much better than I thought, loving her so far.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2023, 09:32:15 pm »
Spoons task with Frankie & Ivo had me in tears.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2023, 08:23:39 am »
Spoons task with Frankie & Ivo had me in tears.

That and Ivo's but not Ivo's fake mummy.

Also appreciated the shout out for Steve Bruce the novelist.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2023, 01:16:03 pm »
Apparently theres going to be a junior taskmaster with Rose Matafeo as the Taskmaster and Mike Wosniak in the little Alex Horne roll.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: May 21, 2023, 09:34:27 pm »
Apparently theres going to be a junior taskmaster with Rose Matafeo as the Taskmaster and Mike Wosniak in the little Alex Horne roll.
Sounds good but not with celebrities then?

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: May 22, 2023, 07:09:57 am »
Sounds good but not with celebrities then?

I'm not sure, it didnt say. Either way I wont know who they are, will probably give it a miss.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #270 on: May 22, 2023, 08:17:31 am »

I like this idea, as it means they can maintain the level of the normal show. Taskmaster is such a fun show that it has become a favourite for kids, there was a bit of fear they would try and tone it down to ensure it was appropriate.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #271 on: May 22, 2023, 01:04:26 pm »
I suspect that it’s come from the task master schools competition that Alex Horne started running online during the first lockdown.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: May 22, 2023, 06:29:40 pm »

Going back to this, the model of who they can get on is not dissimilar to Richard Osman's House of Games in that you'll recognise all four one week then you might have heard of one of them the next, but you usually develop an attachment to whoever shows up.  And you get a feel for some talent you mightn't otherwise see.  Like I'd seen Rebecca Lucy Taylor on ROHOG and knew she was a very funny person so was good to see her smash it on the New Year's TM show.

I probably wouldn't have heard of the likes of Rose Matafeo, Mike Wozniak, Lou Sanders, Sarah Kendall, Jamali Maddix, Fern Brady and a few others I'm definitely missing.

In fact, might go and see if there's a Sporcle quiz on all the contestants!  EDIT: https://www.sporcle.com/games/Dragonslayer07/taskmaster-contestants nice
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: May 23, 2023, 06:20:28 pm »
I’m loving this season. Frankie can’t decide if he should show he’s enjoying it or pretending to be a cynical arsehole who is wearing the same suit to each show. And I love him for that. Long live the Taskmaster!

Has anybody been in the audience for a filming?
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #274 on: June 2, 2023, 08:30:38 pm »
Good series that, and a worthy winner!

I like the look of the new lineup too.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: June 3, 2023, 09:45:17 am »
Good series that, and a worthy winner!

I like the look of the new lineup too.
Yep! Mae was clear winner from early on.

Clary, Perkins & Beaumont should be great!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: June 3, 2023, 01:25:50 pm »
Mae Martin was one of the few people on the show who you could tell really wanted to win, which I appreciate because with my competitiveness I'd be exactly the same.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2023, 09:28:57 am »
New Zealand version is now available over here on C4.

Follows the exact same format as the UK version (unlike the US one) although all the tasks have been different from what I've seen so far. It's good, despite obviously having no clue who any of them are.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2023, 09:33:37 am »
New Zealand version is now available over here on C4.

Follows the exact same format as the UK version (unlike the US one) although all the tasks have been different from what I've seen so far. It's good, despite obviously having no clue who any of them are.

Jeremy and Paul are great Greg and Alex replacements, but have their own characters.

Series one is a good warm up, and gets you used to the house and Jeremy/Paul. Then not to hype it up, but Series 2 is the greatest television ever.

You'll notice a few tasks that have since been in the UK version too!

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #279 on: September 6, 2023, 03:18:05 pm »
Returns 21st September!