Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1047863 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #17560 on: November 23, 2022, 08:38:46 pm »
Hammerite have paints that do that, I'm pretty sure I've seen them. Alternatively, there's also a solution that'll stabilise rust  so it can be painted over. Maybe also from Hammerite.

Interesting thanks for that I'll check it out 👍

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #17561 on: November 23, 2022, 08:39:29 pm »
Depending on the weight of the steel/iron I imagine what you are seeing is surface rust which will probably not compromise the integrity of the furniture.

The problem with powder coating is that it can crack and blister so you end up with water ingress and things can continue to oxidise underneath the coating. Whatever treatment you opt for it is important to get all the loose material off first.

This can be a pain in the ass (especially if the ironwork is decorative with scrolls and mouldings etc.) and where I have had to restore more expensive/elaborate pieces I have got them finely shot blasted to get back to bare metal.

If you are looking to do a touch up job you might be to find that a decent wire brush is sufficient (maybe try some paint stripper to a small area if you have some, though personally I have not had much luck with it on powder coatings).

Painting over existing powder coat can be problematic as some paints can have trouble with adherence unless the powder coat is old and /or well prepared. A circular wire bush in a cordless drill might help to rough it up if it can't be stripped or sanded easily.

I tend to avoid Hammerite because I find it too viscous which can lead to poor coverage on intricate or pitted surfaces (pinholes can appear if you are not careful). You also need to use special Hammerite thinners to clean brushes or thin the paint.

In my opinion you are always better using a decent primer and topcoat rather than a 'one coat' product. I have always had excellent results with Teamac who produce paints for agricultural and marine applications. I use their zinc phosphate primer with their Metalcote enamel as a top coat - one or two coats of each can last for decades. It can be thinned with ordinary white sprit and even if applied by brush it can give a super smooth finish (almost as good as a spray finish). There are also loads of colours available.

If there isn't a nearby stockist (e.g. Brewers) it can generally be found online in the UK.
https://www.teamacagricultural.co.uk/products/category/plant-machinery-enamel/metalcote-machinery-enamel
https://www.teamacagricultural.co.uk/products/category/primers/zinc-phosphate-metal-primer

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17562 on: November 23, 2022, 08:44:15 pm »
It looks like there's a UK version called rustoleum but I can't find anything for metal yet.

It needs to be something that stops the rust constantly coming back as all these items are only 12mths old.

We use rust-oleum on the exterior handrails,ya have to wire brush,sand paper the rusty areas first.They also have something called rust reformer but not used it.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17563 on: November 23, 2022, 08:48:02 pm »
^^

That's superb info mate thank you.

I've got all the tools and equipment you've suggested as I dabble a bit at furniture restoration but usually wood not metal.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17564 on: November 23, 2022, 08:50:13 pm »

We use rust-oleum on the exterior handrails,ya have to wire brush,sand paper the rusty areas first.They also have something called rust reformer but not used it.

That's good to know too.  Thanks 👍

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17565 on: November 23, 2022, 11:18:39 pm »
You can use some stuff like Rust Remedy or Kurust if the rusty area is not too big, which will chemically react with the rust and stabilise it. Then you can paint over it.

Or you can try removing it with some oxalic acid product or even white vinegar or other acidic product but that might be tricky on a big bit of furniture as you ideally need to soak the rusted part for some hours.

Then paint with Hammerite or similar metal paint

Personally I'd take an angle grinder and remove the main rust buildup, if there's a lot of it, but you may not have that option handy
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17566 on: November 23, 2022, 11:42:30 pm »
You can use some stuff like Rust Remedy or Kurust if the rusty area is not too big, which will chemically react with the rust and stabilise it. Then you can paint over it.

Or you can try removing it with some oxalic acid product or even white vinegar or other acidic product but that might be tricky on a big bit of furniture as you ideally need to soak the rusted part for some hours.

Then paint with Hammerite or similar metal paint

Personally I'd take an angle grinder and remove the main rust buildup, if there's a lot of it, but you may not have that option handy

Thanks for that.  It's mainly lots of small areas round the joints really so I don't think an angle grinder is necessary but I'll have a look for those products as that's the type of thing I was thinking of.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17567 on: November 24, 2022, 12:01:15 am »
Thanks for that.  It's mainly lots of small areas round the joints really so I don't think an angle grinder is necessary but I'll have a look for those products as that's the type of thing I was thinking of.
If you can't find them via Wilko or a DIY store check out a car parts store or Halfords or similar
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17568 on: November 26, 2022, 10:34:27 am »
If you can't find them via Wilko or a DIY store check out a car parts store or Halfords or similar

Thanks again mate 👍

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17569 on: November 26, 2022, 02:04:49 pm »
Is there a governing body or Ombudsman who can answer questions relating to misuse of data,data confidentiality and data protection.
I have found the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) but I dont think they can help.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17570 on: November 26, 2022, 02:19:22 pm »
Is there a governing body or Ombudsman who can answer questions relating to misuse of data,data confidentiality and data protection.
I have found the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) but I dont think they can help.

Is this in relation to hwo you keep data secure or has it been misused already?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17571 on: November 26, 2022, 02:38:35 pm »
Is this in relation to hwo you keep data secure or has it been misused already?

Its to do with me being paranoid and wanting to know if my infomation that I have provided in confidence could be used
to my detriment.

Nothing has happened yet.

When you say keep data secure, do you mean in an IT sense, that not the issue, it would be more along the lines of human interaction, "can I see those files please?"
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17572 on: November 26, 2022, 02:57:39 pm »
Its to do with me being paranoid and wanting to know if my infomation that I have provided in confidence could be used
to my detriment.

Nothing has happened yet.

When you say keep data secure, do you mean in an IT sense, that not the issue, it would be more along the lines of human interaction, "can I see those files please?"

You can put in a request to every company that you have data stored with and request for it to be deleted and they have to do it. Decent companies should have your personal data encrytped and only people who require access to it should see it.

I'm currently doing a piece of work for applications to open an account with our company. I've got to encrypt all personal data and then we are controlling, via passwords/pin no's who can access the data and we monitor who does access the data. We take GDPR and security very seriously as a company, plus our auditors are all over it.

Of course, if you fill in any of those Facebook Quizzes, you may as well just post all your personal info on here ;)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17573 on: November 26, 2022, 03:14:58 pm »
You can put in a request to every company that you have data stored with and request for it to be deleted and they have to do it. Decent companies should have your personal data encrytped and only people who require access to it should see it.

I'm currently doing a piece of work for applications to open an account with our company. I've got to encrypt all personal data and then we are controlling, via passwords/pin no's who can access the data and we monitor who does access the data. We take GDPR and security very seriously as a company, plus our auditors are all over it.

Of course, if you fill in any of those Facebook Quizzes, you may as well just post all your personal info on here ;)

When I said its info I provided, I dont mean social media.  I might post some absolute crap in here, but Im not that daft. :D

people who require access to it should see it.

Thats the crux of it, I need to find out what constitutes required access

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17574 on: November 26, 2022, 03:35:09 pm »
When I said its info I provided, I dont mean social media.  I might post some absolute crap in here, but Im not that daft. :D

Thats the crux of it, I need to find out what constitutes required access

Have a read of this and see if it answers your questions

https://gdpr.eu/what-is-gdpr/

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17575 on: November 26, 2022, 03:46:50 pm »
Has anyone had experience using PayU?

Seems like a PayPal type service.  I recently booked (via booking.com) a stay at a condo in Panama, and got a message from the woman renting it out asking for a deposit to her account to secure the booking, paid via PayU which I've never heard of.

My guess is that it's perfectly safe / valid but booking.com haven't responded to my inquiry on it.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17576 on: November 26, 2022, 03:52:55 pm »
Have a read of this and see if it answers your questions

https://gdpr.eu/what-is-gdpr/

Thanks Rob

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17577 on: December 3, 2022, 03:10:54 pm »
Anyone got any parking recommendations for the Manchester Arena?

Heading there from Liverpool tonight and don't want to be stuck in traffic for 4 hours trying to get out afterwards.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17578 on: December 3, 2022, 03:39:33 pm »
Anyone got any parking recommendations for the Manchester Arena?

Heading there from Liverpool tonight and don't want to be stuck in traffic for 4 hours trying to get out afterwards.

Sorry mate can't help - we always just jump a train into Manc on the rare occasion we go there. Had to pick the missus up from the Bridgewater last week, after picking her up, I made the mistake of going down a one way that took me to Deansgate, took me a fucking hour to get out of the poxy place and onto Chesher Road.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17579 on: December 5, 2022, 08:51:51 am »
If the temperature and pressure of a shower are fucked, is it more likely to be the shower unit or the plumbing behind it? I don't entirely know what the unit does really. All the other plumbing is fine but want to be as sure as I can be that the unit is at fault before I ask the letting agents to replace it.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17580 on: December 5, 2022, 09:41:09 am »
If the temperature and pressure of a shower are fucked, is it more likely to be the shower unit or the plumbing behind it? I don't entirely know what the unit does really. All the other plumbing is fine but want to be as sure as I can be that the unit is at fault before I ask the letting agents to replace it.

If its electric, it'll be whats called the engine inside the shower that has gone. Typical symptoms when ours fails is pressure drops to next to nothing and the water is red hot.

The engine costs as much as the entire unit, so just needs the whole shower replacing.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17581 on: December 5, 2022, 01:25:56 pm »
If its electric, it'll be whats called the engine inside the shower that has gone. Typical symptoms when ours fails is pressure drops to next to nothing and the water is red hot.

The engine costs as much as the entire unit, so just needs the whole shower replacing.
It could be buildup of limescale. If so, easily cleaned out. Certainly worth checking before doing anything else.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17582 on: December 5, 2022, 08:19:32 pm »
How important is the lack of the Golden Rule when contesting a will? Can the will be voided?
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #17583 on: December 5, 2022, 08:30:43 pm »
How important is the lack of the Golden Rule when contesting a will? Can the will be voided?
Which country's legislation is involved here? Under English law, I believe anyone can at least attempt to contest a will if they believe the beneficiaries have somehow manipulated the person whose will is involved.

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17584 on: December 5, 2022, 09:06:58 pm »
Which country's legislation is involved here? Under English law, I believe anyone can at least attempt to contest a will if they believe the beneficiaries have somehow manipulated the person whose will is involved.
UK. How important is the Golden Rule though, I stand to loose 175k but there was no Golden Rule, I'm getting conflicting advice by my solicitors but I need to make a decision in the next day or so. Not dependant on RAWK feedback of course 😀
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17585 on: December 5, 2022, 09:17:00 pm »
UK. How important is the Golden Rule though, I stand to loose 175k but there was no Golden Rule, I'm getting conflicting advice by my solicitors but I need to make a decision in the next day or so. Not dependant on RAWK feedback of course 😀
Give your local Citizens' Advice Bureau a call mate - they should have a clearer answer. Solicitors usually give advice based on their own best interest ;)

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17586 on: December 6, 2022, 12:00:02 am »
Give your local Citizens' Advice Bureau a call mate - they should have a clearer answer. Solicitors usually give advice based on their own best interest ;)
I imagine theyve got more pressing stuff to deal with tbf mate.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17587 on: December 6, 2022, 01:37:58 pm »
UK. How important is the Golden Rule though, I stand to loose 175k but there was no Golden Rule, I'm getting conflicting advice by my solicitors but I need to make a decision in the next day or so. Not dependant on RAWK feedback of course
I don't understand what you wrote there. The Golden Rule, as I understand it, is always there. It means that if the solicitor has reasonable grounds to suspect that the person creating the will is not fully in charge of their faculties, the solicitor must seek some kind of confirmation of their mental state, from the client GP or elsewhere.

https://www.ts-p.co.uk/news/assessment-of-capacity-and-golden-rule
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17588 on: December 10, 2022, 04:05:42 pm »

It's on a keyring. People are looking all over for the logo but cannot find it.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #17589 on: December 10, 2022, 04:53:17 pm »
Can the girls answer too?  :P

I did a Google search but couldn't find it. Somehow, it looks familiar though, but I've no idea where I may have seen it.  :(

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17590 on: December 10, 2022, 04:58:29 pm »
Can the girls answer too?  :P

I did a Google search but couldn't find it. Somehow, it looks familiar though, but I've no idea where I may have seen it.  :(

It's dead annoying!!!

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17591 on: December 10, 2022, 05:13:38 pm »
95% sure it's a fashion/apparel logo and that I own or have owned something with it on, but white on black.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17592 on: December 10, 2022, 07:34:31 pm »
It looks familiar alright and for some reason my mind tells me it's something to do with football in the 80s of perhaps Formula 1? Is the keyring old or new?
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17593 on: December 10, 2022, 08:07:37 pm »
It looks familiar alright and for some reason my mind tells me it's something to do with football in the 80s of perhaps Formula 1? Is the keyring old or new?
it's not actually mine, came up on twitter this morning. Immediately thought I know that, 8 hours later  :)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17594 on: December 10, 2022, 09:52:40 pm »
Probably wrong but reminds me of the Peugeot 205 T16 Group B rally car decals

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #17595 on: December 11, 2022, 02:40:46 pm »
Could someone please just fucking find out what that fucking logo is? ;D
Makes me go crazy not knowing what it actually is. It's giving me tennis vibes, but not sure it's a fashion brand, but more like some sponsor type deal. My initial thought was some bank or financial company, but none of my searches have brought up anything.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17596 on: December 11, 2022, 02:53:40 pm »
Could someone please just fucking find out what that fucking logo is? ;D
Makes me go crazy not knowing what it actually is. It's giving me tennis vibes, but not sure it's a fashion brand, but more like some sponsor type deal. My initial thought was some bank or financial company, but none of my searches have brought up anything.

I just used TinEye to search it. 57.5 billion images scanned. No hits. Seriously, it could be for anything. A 16 yr old art student might have made it for their GSCE project. It could be for literally any product anywhere......To me it looks like a brake pedal :P

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #17597 on: December 11, 2022, 08:44:47 pm »
Any advice for getting PH-neutral/acid-free/conservation tape off wood and plastic? I'm told it's permanent but is there a solvent to get rid?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17598 on: December 11, 2022, 11:42:41 pm »

It's on a keyring. People are looking all over for the logo but cannot find it.

Thanks for looking.

My first thought was something to do with F1,maybe a tyre manufacturer.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17599 on: December 12, 2022, 10:06:43 am »
My first thought was something to do with F1,maybe a tyre manufacturer.
One of my friends thought it was Bridgestone but I found a YT video that traced all their brand logos from origin to today and this doesn't feature anywhere in it. Certainly has that automotive feel to it though.