Author Topic: Maggie May's Recipe A Day  (Read 151802 times)

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
Re: Maggie May's Recipe A Day
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2008, 03:13:07 pm »

My ex-girlfriends French toast recipe

Get your sliced white bread and cut the crust cut off. Toast bread lightly. Remove from toaster. Crack eggs into bowl.

Add a touch of soft butter, pinch of salt, chives, pinch of white pepper, dash of Worcestershire sauce. Cut toasted bread slices diagonally into triangles, coat in the egg mixture. Melt butter in frying pan until sizzling, then do the business and fry the toast. When finished, cut a couple of tomatoes in half and just quickly sauté the tomatoes in the remaining butter in the frying pan.

Serve with French toast with butter sautéed tomatoes and lashings of TABASCO sauce and cold fresh orange juice.

Perfect Sunday morning post-coital breakfast.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2008, 03:16:23 pm »
I'll try it with a bit more garlic and chilli.

With the Chai, we serve it as an alternative to soy lattes which people seem to drink a lot around here. Definitely tastes better in my opinion. Either with honey or chocolate, gives the whole thing a nice flavour.

Key to dhal is to be generous with the onions, masala and tomatoes, and to use fresh coriander just before serving. Chai is delicious, to be honest, I think Indians drink tea as it should be drunk, the way we drink it is a little insipid compared to that.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2008, 03:28:59 pm »

I'd love it if someone had some interesting Chinese recipes. Apart from simple stir fries I can't cook much Chinese stuff.

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2008, 03:38:34 pm »
I'd love it if someone had some interesting Chinese recipes. Apart from simple stir fries I can't cook much Chinese stuff.

Same here, and I'm chinese ;D

The stuff's just a lot messier to cook I reckon. Whereas with pasta, you take like two pots and its done, with Chinese food there's a lot of frying, spicing and marinading. And its a little hard to find the time to do all that. Not only that, the whole kitchen needs a clean after. Thank god we have a housekeeper who's a great cook. I'll ask for a few of her recipes the next time I'm back home. I miss the cooking ;D
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2008, 03:49:10 pm »
Same here, and I'm chinese ;D

The stuff's just a lot messier to cook I reckon. Whereas with pasta, you take like two pots and its done, with Chinese food there's a lot of frying, spicing and marinading. And its a little hard to find the time to do all that. Not only that, the whole kitchen needs a clean after. Thank god we have a housekeeper who's a great cook. I'll ask for a few of her recipes the next time I'm back home. I miss the cooking ;D

Doing a quick stir fry is easy but you're right, doing the proper Chinese food takes a bit of time but it'd still be interesting to get some recipes.

I just bought some teriyaki sauce so I'm going to do some Japanese this weekend.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2008, 04:21:10 pm »
I love Chinese food, and I was going to say I've got lots of recipes.  Which is true, but alas I've not put them on my computer.  I've just checked and was horrified to find out that I haven't put anything in my Chinese "library" for a year.  :-\

I'm doing Scottish recipes until Friday for Scottish Don, but I'll do some favourite Chinese ones next week.  In the meantime, here are the few bits I've already got - the Chinese Roast Pork is lovely, and its equally good served hot or cold.  When I serve it hot I usually just steam some pack choi and drizzle oyster sauce over the choi.  When its cold it just gets munched.

Oh, and Blurred, my Strict Mentor, these recipes can't count towards my 366 tally, because they are already in my library, and I'm certain I've already posted them on RAWK at some time. 

Chinese Roast Pork

3lb piece of belly pork with the rind.
1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons sea salt flakes
2 teaspoons five spice powder
2 teaspoons caster sugar.

Get the butcher to bone the pork but not to score it.  Trim off the excess fat as there is likely to be a slab of flat on the belly, and you want to remove this barrier and get the spices into the flesh.  Discard the fat or give it to the birds (winged variety) for a treat.

Spike the skin as many times as you can, going through into the fat but not so deep that you go into the flesh.  Pour a kettle of boiling water over the pierced skin, leave it to drain and then dry it off well.

Heat a dry frying pan over a high heat.  Add the Sichuan and black peppercorns and shake them round for a few seconds until they darken slightly and start to smell aromatic.  Let them cool.  If you have a spice grinder, grind them into a fine powder.  If not, put them into a sandwich or freezer bag and crush them as fine as you can with a rolling pin or tin or similar.  Tip them into a bowl and add the sea salt, five spice powder and sugar and mix well.

Turn the pork flesh side up, put it into the dish its going to rest in overnight, and rub the mixture gently into the flesh.  Leave overnight.

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.   Turn the pork skin side up, dry off any moisture which might have accumulated on the skin overnight, and place the pork in the oven on a rack over a tin of boiling water.  Roast the pork for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 2 and roast the pork for a further two hours.  Then increase the oven temperature once more to 230C/450F/Gas Mark 8 and roast the pork for 15 minutes.

Check the pork while it is cooking - say every 30 minutes.  Because it is not scored sometimes the fat can pool on the skin, which softens the crackling, so dab it up with a kitchen towel.  You might need to add some more boiling water as well.

Peking Style Caramel Walnuts

The walnuts must be blanched first to rid them of any bitterness.  These little munchies are excellent served hot or cold and are perfect with drinks.  In a sealed container they keep for about two weeks.

Pack of shelled walnuts
Pack sesame seeds
6oz (100g) granulated sugar
Oil for deep frying

Bring a pan of water to the boil.  Drop in the walnuts and simmer for 5 minutes.  Drain and pat them dry.  Spread them out on a baking try.  Sprinkle the sugar all over them and roll them in it until all the sugar has been taken up.  Leave them (preferably overnight) uncovered, in a cool place.

In the meantime toast the sesame seeds in a dry non stick frying pan over a low heat until the seeds are golden.  Set aside.

In a small saucepan (you are going to cook in small batches and the oil can’t be saved after, so its just wasteful to use a whole chip pan full, for example), heat the oil to a moderate heat.  Fry a small batch of the walnuts until they are golden brown (the sugar needs to caramelise).  Remove and shake off excess oil off the walnuts.  Roll them in a bowl with a small amount of the sesame seeds (sprinkle more over if you like).  Don’t put them in a bowl with all the seeds as with all the best will in the world it can get clakky and ruin what toasted sesame seeds you have.

Lay the sprinkled walnuts on a wire tray to cool.  Kitchen paper or foil is no good - the walnuts will stick when cooling.

Peking Toffee Apples

Serves 6 to 8

5 medium sized cooking apples
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

For the batter mixture:

4oz plain flour
4 fl oz cold water
1 egg
Oil for deep frying

For the sugar coating:

8oz sugar
2 tablespoons oil

You will also need to have some ice cubes ready and a pair of tongs.

First, in a dry non stick pan over a low heat toast the sesame seeds until golden.  Set aside.

Mix the flour with the water.  Beat the egg lightly and mix in.  Beat to a smooth batter.  Peel and core the apples.  Cut each apple into 5 - 6 roughly equal pieces. 

Heat the sugar and oil in a small saucepan.  Stir continuously until the sugar has melted and blended with the oil.  Keep hot.   Dip the apple pieces into the batter and then sprinkle with the sesame seeds.

Heat the oil in a wok or deep pan.  Fry the battered apple pieces (in batches) for 2 ½ minutes per batch.  Then drain. 

Now put the ice cubes into a bowl of cold water.

When all the apple pieces are cooked and drained.  Add 2 or three pieces at a time to the hot sugar coating.  Pull them out one at a time with the tongs and plunge them into the iced water.  Retrieve immediately set aside to harden.

Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2008, 04:23:32 pm »
Oh, and Blurred, my Strict Mentor, these recipes can't count towards my 366 tally, because they are already in my library, and I'm certain I've already posted them on RAWK at some time. 

Okey dokes, I'll discount these three from the grand total. I'll do you a tally at the end of the month, although I reckon you're more than on target, despite being waylaid, nay, beset with injury.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2008, 04:25:01 pm »
I used to cook Chinese food a lot, even made my own Sui Mai once, not really worth the effort though. Chinese soups are dead easy and much tastier than the restaurant or takeaway ones.

Haven't got me wok out for ages though  :(
Legacy fan

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2008, 04:25:26 pm »
I love Chinese food, and I was going to say I've got lots of recipes. 

I've never had the second two, but I'll vouch for the first and say its fantastic, if definitely hazardous to your cholesterol level. They serve it in coffee shops around here, and it goes either with siew mai or braised chicken. Done right, its as crispy as cracklin, and still bloody tasty and tender around the pork.

I'd never plan on making any other than maybe for a special Christmas dinner or something though.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2008, 04:34:59 pm »

Thanks Maggie. I'm going to set aside some time next month to do Chinese recipes that you post.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2008, 04:35:20 pm »
Okey dokes, I'll discount these three from the grand total. I'll do you a tally at the end of the month, although I reckon you're more than on target, despite being waylaid, nay, beset with injury.

Excellent.  I'm most grateful to you.  Also, I posted the recipe for Melba Toast for ease of reference under my Parton Bree recipe, (post no. 152), so could you please discount that one as well.  Thanks.   :wave

Haven't got me wok out for ages though  :(

Ooooooh, young man.   :o

I've never had the second two, but I'll vouch for the first and say its fantastic, if definitely hazardous to your cholesterol level.

True.  When chopping it up the flying crackling can also be hazardous to your health - it could have your eye out if you're not careful.   ;D

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2008, 04:41:12 pm »
Done right, its as crispy as cracklin, and still bloody tasty and tender around the pork.

Sorry Valore.  I forgot to mention that the pork is kept tender by the steam rising from the water in the roasting pan, but for some reason the steam doesn't affect the crackling, which is rock.  Strange. 

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2008, 05:27:03 pm »
Any girly low fat, no sugar recipes seeing as I'm on a diet, Maggie?  It's quite difficult to not get bored of some rather tasteless bland low fat food - I'm usually spicing everything up with um, spices...!
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2008, 05:31:20 pm »
Sorry Valore.  I forgot to mention that the pork is kept tender by the steam rising from the water in the roasting pan, but for some reason the steam doesn't affect the crackling, which is rock.  Strange. 

Perhaps the oil coming out keeps the water off? I'm not clear on that myself. Must be magic, it does taste magical ;D

Any girly low fat, no sugar recipes seeing as I'm on a diet, Maggie?  It's quite difficult to not get bored of some rather tasteless bland low fat food - I'm usually spicing everything up with um, spices...!

* 4 skinless cod fillets, (6 to 8 ounces each)
    * 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
    * 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    * 2 tablespoons finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
    * Coarse salt and ground pepper
    * 6 scallions, green parts cut into 3-inch lengths

# n a large skillet, combine 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger.
# Season both sides of 4 skinless cod fillets (6 to 8 ounces each) with coarse salt and ground pepper; place in skillet with vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover; cook until fish is almost opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes.
# Meanwhile, cut green parts of 6 scallions into 3-inch lengths; thinly slice lengthwise. Scatter over fish; cook (covered) until fish is opaque throughout and scallions are just wilted, about 2 minutes more.

Could try the above. The recipe is something I just pulled from the web, but its what I eat when I'm at home and have someone to cook for me ;) Tastes good, pretty healthy to boot. I'll get the recipe for you if you're interested. It'll take a week or so till  get back for Chinese New Year though.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2008, 05:33:08 pm »

Go on a raw food diet .

Advocado, Beetroot, Carrots, Peppers, Kale, Spinach, Broccoli, Peas, Mangoes, Papaya, Apples, Nuts, Seeds,  :wave
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:39:30 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2008, 06:01:13 pm »

As the majority of mine seem to be for cholesterol fiends or alcoholics, I was thinking that the Chinese recipies might suit you.  I've just been looking through some of my Chinese ones, and a surprising amount do require a teaspoonful of sugar.  Are you allowed sugar substitutes? - Silver Spoon Low Calorie Sweetner is good.  Trouble is, I don't know how (say) a teaspoon of sugar equates to the sweetner, and I think you need far less sweetner than you would sugar.  I suppose you could just add a pinch of sweetner, and see how you get on.  Sorry to ramble on.  :-\

Oh, and are you a carnivore or a veggie? 

Anyway.  Try this one.  Its very tasty, but you do need a wok with a tight fitting lid, as the secret is to cover the wok tightly, but if you haven't got a wok, try it in a saucepan.

Stir-fried Broccoli

1lb broccoli
4 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
1½ tbs groundnut oil
1tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
6tbs water
2tsp sesame oil

Cut the stems off the broccoli and separate the heads into small florets.  Peel and slice the stems into small rounds.

Heat a wok over a high heat.  Add the groundnut oil, and when it is hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic and the salt and pepper.  Stir fry for 30 seconds, or until the garlic is lightly browned.

Add the broccoli and stir fry for 2 minutes.  Now add the water, cover the wok tightly and cook over a high heat for 4-5 minutes.

Uncover the wok and test the broccoli by gently piercing it with the tip of a sharp knife.  It should go in easily.  Stir in the seasame oil and stir fry for 30 seconds, then serve.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2008, 12:12:37 pm »
Here's some more offerings for Scottish Don's feast.  Final lots tomorrow in time for Burns Night. 

Herrings in Oatmeal with Mustard Sauce

Serves 4

4 herrings, cleaned
4oz medium oatmeal
2 level teaspoons salt
A good pinch of pepper
Fat for frying

For the sauce

1 ½ oz butter
1 ½ oz plain flour
1 rounded teaspoon made mustard
1 tablespoon vinegar
¾ pint fish stock

Using a sharp knife, continue the cut on the underside of the fish along to the tail.  Lay the herring cut side down, and bang it across the backbone in three places, using the side of your hand or a rolling pin.  Turn the fish over and ease out the backbone and as many small bones as you can. 

Mix the salt and pepper with the oatmeal, put the mixture onto a plate and coat each herring both sides, pressing the seasoned oatmeal firmly into the fish.

Heat a little fat in a frying pan, and put the fish in (say) two at a time, skin side upwards, so that they only need to be turned once.  Fry them over a brisk heat until they are lightly browned on one side, and then turn them over and cook the other side (they should take 5-7 minutes in all to cook).  Keep them warm while you prepare the sauce.

Melt the butter and stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes without browning.  Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the fish stock.  When the sauce is smooth, return the pan to the heat and bring the sauce to the boil to thicken, stirring all the time.  Stir in the mustard and vinegar and check for seasoning.  Serve on the side with the herrings, or poured over them as you prefer.

Cullen Skink

Serves 4-6

A traditional recipe from the shores of the Moray Firth.

1 Finnan haddock
1 large onion, sliced
1 pint milk
About 1lb potatoes, cooked and mashed
½ oz butter
1 level teaspoon chopped parsley

Put the haddock into a shallow pan and add just enough water to cover it.  Bring it to the boil, add the onion and simmer it for about 5 minutes, until it is cooked.  Lift the fish from the pan.  Remove all the skin and bones and put them back into the stock.  Simmer the stock for one hour.

Meanwhile, break the fish into flakes.  When the stock is ready, strain it, add the milk and bring it back to the boil, then stir in the fish, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Then stir in enough mashed potato to make a creamy soup.  Check for seasoning and add the butter, chopped into small pieces, and stir until blended.  Just before serving, scatter the chopped parsley over the soup. 

Cock-a-Leekie

Serves 6-8

1 boiling fowl, with giblets if possible
1 bay leaf - whole
1lb leeks, slit, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
4 pints chicken stock
1oz long grain rice
4oz dried prunes, soaked overnight

Put the fowl and the giblets into a large pan with the stock.  Add the bay leaf, the leeks and plenty of seasoning.  Being the soup to the boil, then skim the surface, reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, or until the fowl is tender.

Remove the fowl, giblets and bay leaf and skin off any fat from the surface.  Add the rice.  Drain the prunes and add them also, and simmer the soup for a further 30 minutes.  Check for seasoning and serve.  Use the chicken, coated with caper sauce, to accompany the soup.

Caper Sauce

2oz margarine
2oz plain flour
½ pint milk
½ pint chicken stock
2oz capers

Melt the margarine.  Add the flour and cook for a couple of minutes until well blended but not browned.  Gradually stir in the milk and stock to make a smooth sauce, then add the capers and check for seasoning.

Feather Fowlie

Serves 6-8

One 2 ½ lb  roasting chicken, jointed
1 stick of celery, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 onion, sliced
2oz ham, chopped
Parsley stalks
1 sprig of thyme
1 blade of mace
3 pints chicken stock
3 egg yolks (individually freeze the whites for use with another recipe)
1 tbs single cream
1 level teaspoon chopped parsley

Soak the chicken joints in cold salted water for half an hour, then drain and rinse them thoroughly.  Place them in a large pan, add the ham, onion, celery, carrot, parsley stalks, thyme and mace and pour in the stock.  Bring the soup to the boil, then skim the surface, cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer the soup for one hour.  Remove the chicken meat and mince it or cut it into small pieces.  Remove the ham and cut that into small pieces.  Set the meat aside.  Return the chicken carcass to the pan and simmer for a further hour.  Strain the soup and discard the carcass and vegetables.  Allow the soup to cool and then place it in the fridge overnight. 

The following day, remove the fat from the surface of the soup.  Then pour it into a pan and bring it slowly to a boil.  Reduce the heat, add the chicken and ham, and simmer for 15 minutes. 

Beat the egg yolks and cream together, stir in a little of the hot soup, blend well and then pour all the mixture into the soup.  Stir it over the heat for a few minutes but do not allow it to boil.  Mix in the parsley, check for seasoning and serve.

Castle Stuart Steak

Serves 1

This recipe is from the Post House Hotel, Aviemore

8 - 10 oz rump steak
1oz butter
1tbs oil
2 tomatoes, peeled and deseeded
1 clove garlic, crushed
2oz onion, finely chopped

For the pate

2oz Castle Stuart Blue Cheese (if you can’t get this, then use Stilton)
2oz butter
½ clove garlic, crushed
2 level teaspoons onion, finely chopped
A few drops of Worcestershire Sauce
A few drops of lemon juice

Make the pate in advance by simply mixing all the ingredients together to form a creamy substance.  Roll into greaseproof paper and chill.

Fry the steak on both sides in the butter and oil until it is done to your liking.  Remove it from the pan and keep it warm.  Add the garlic, onion and tomato to the pan juices, and fry them for a few minutes until they are cooked.  Place the steak on an ovenproof plate, pour the onion mixture over it, then top with the pate.  Place until a hot grill until the pate has melted and serve immediately.

Lowland Lamb

Serves 6-8

This is based on an old Scottish dish called Parson’s or Friar’s Venison.

One 4 - 4 ½ lb shoulder of lamb, boned
½ dripping
¼ pint lamb stock

For the stuffing

4oz ham, chopped
4oz mushrooms, chopped
1oz butter
1 level tablespoon chopped chives

For the marinade

¼ pint red wine
6 juniper berries, chopped
¼ level teaspoon ground allspice
2 tbs oil
2tbs malt vinegar
1 bay leaf, whole
¼ level teaspoon ground nutmeg

Fry the chopped mushrooms in the butter until all the butter has been absorbed.  Then stir in the ham and chives.  Season and leave to cool.

Season the inside of the boned lamb, and when the stuffing is cold, put it inside the and sew up the joint to enclose the stuffing securely.

Mix the wine with the rest of the marinade ingredients, and put the mixture into a shallow dish.  Add the lamb joint, turn it in the marinade to coat it, then loosely cover the meat and leave it at room temperature for 12 hours while the flavours penetrate.  Turn the meat several times during this time.

When the marinating period is complete, pre heat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4.  Melt the dripping in a roasting tin on the hob.  Add the drained joint and brown it well on all sides.  Pour in the marinade and bring it to the boil, then cover the tin with foil, place it in the oven and cook it for about 1 ¾ to 2 hours or until the meat is tender.  Baste it a few times during the cooking. 

When the meat is cooked, remove it from the tin and keep it warm.  Put the tin on the hob, skim off the fat from the surface of the liquid in the tin, then pour in the stock.  Bring the sauce to the boil, and then strain it into a warm gravy boat for serving.

Cranachan

Serves 4

3oz pinhead oatmeal
½ pint double cream
2tbs Drambuie
6oz raspberries

Toast the oatmeal in a dry frying pan over a fairly high heat until it is lightly browned.  Sift out any dust.  Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks, then mix in the Drambuie, toasted oatmeal and raspberries.  Serve in tall glasses. 

A Burnt Cream

Serves 6

Although this famous recipe is now associated with Trinity College, Cambridge, it originated in a country house in Scotland during the nineteenth century.

1 pint double cream
4 egg yolks (individually freeze the whites for another recipe)
3 level tablespoons of caster sugar
A drop of vanilla essence
Extra caster sugar for the top
Raspberries to serve

Heat the double cream until just below boiling point.  Beat the eggs yolks and 3 tablespoons of the sugar together, then slowly beat in the cream with the vanilla essence.

Heat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4.  Strain the liquid into a shallow 1½ pint ovenproof dish.  Stand it in a roasting tin with hot water coming half way up its sides, then cover the surface of the dish with a sheet of baking parchment.  Cook the custard for 40 minutes or until it is lightly set.  Leave to cool overnight.

To complete the dessert, sprinkle the surface thickly with the caster sugar and place the dish under a very hot grill until the sugar melts and caramelises.  Leave to cool and harden before serving with fresh raspberries.

Typsy Laird

Serves 6-8

6 small sponge cakes
½ lb raspberry jam
The finely grated rind of one lemon
2oz ratafia biscuits
¼ pint medium sweet sherry
4 tbs Drambuie
4 egg yolks (individually freeze the whites for another recipe)
1 pint milk
1oz caster sugar
A little vanilla essence
¼ pint double cream
Flaked browned almonds, glace cherries and angelica
A little extra Drambuie

Split the sponges in half horizontally.  Spread them with the jam and place them in a glass dish.  Roughly crush the ratafia biscuits and scatter them on the top with the lemon rind.  Mix together the sherry and Drambuie, pour the liquid over the sponges and leave to soak.

Beat the egg yolks and sugar together.  Heat the milk to just below boiling and stir it into the egg yolks.  When it is well blended, return the liquid to the pan and, stirring all the time over a low heat, cook the custard until it thickens.  Pour it into the dish over the soaked sponges and leave it to cool and set.  Place clingfilm on the surface so that a skin does not form on the top.

The next day, whisk the cream to a soft peak consistency, and whisk in a little Drambuie.  Turn the cream onto the trifle, ease it to the sides and decorate with the nuts, cherries and angelica.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2008, 12:27:19 pm »
Spicy Lentil Soup

2 Red peppers
2 Onions
1 tin of tomatos
50g Lentils
1 teaspoon chili powder
1pt veg stock

Bung it all in a pan
Bring to boil
Simmer till soft

Easy peasy  ;D

Offline MattLFC08

• Forgetful nose poker-inner - Who Must Try Harder!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2008, 02:06:33 pm »
Maggie, I love you.  ;D   :-*

Some real good recipies in there. Some of them are challenging even, which is good. You learn more when challenged.

I love the Burnt Cream recipie, quite similar to Creme Carmel or Brullee.... Too much of it though can make you fat, be warned  ;D
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Bill Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981)

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2008, 02:17:25 pm »
Maggie, I love you.  ;D   :-*

Some real good recipies in there. Some of them are challenging even, which is good. You learn more when challenged.

I love the Burnt Cream recipie, quite similar to Creme Carmel or Brullee.... Too much of it though can make you fat, be warned  ;D

Well thank you young man.   :-*

I've cooked them all, and I have to admit I've been a Nervous Nerys over some - thinking "Oooh I dunno", but I've found that once I get into them and take my time, everything works out fine in the end. 

The Burnt Cream one is lovely, and you are right about its similarities, but my Scottish books reckon that it was the original - but I suppose they would say that, wouldn't they (to slightly quote Mandy Rice-Davies)  ;D

And since this Nanny Government is launching its health initiative, I reckon that it won't be long before the thought and compliance police come to take me away on account I'm an evil influence.   :D

Offline MattLFC08

• Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2008, 02:27:14 pm »
Well thank you young man.   :-*

I've cooked them all, and I have to admit I've been a Nervous Nerys over some - thinking "Oooh I dunno", but I've found that once I get into them and take my time, everything works out fine in the end. 

The Burnt Cream one is lovely, and you are right about its similarities, but my Scottish books reckon that it was the original - but I suppose they would say that, wouldn't they (to slightly quote Mandy Rice-Davies)  ;D

And since this Nanny Government is launching its health initiative, I reckon that it won't be long before the thought and compliance police come to take me away on account I'm an evil influence.   :D

By the way Maggie, something i meant to tell you, there is a Bar/Restaurant not far from where i live named after you....  ;D I always smile when i go by there :)
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2008, 02:37:12 pm »
By the way Maggie, something i meant to tell you, there is a Bar/Restaurant not far from where i live named after you....  ;D I always smile when i go by there :)

Oh that's great.  Tell me where it is and I'll go in and pretend I own the place, and demand a free meal.  Better still - we'll both go in together and eat all the profits.   ;D

Offline MattLFC08

• Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2008, 02:53:55 pm »
Oh that's great.  Tell me where it is and I'll go in and pretend I own the place, and demand a free meal.  Better still - we'll both go in together and eat all the profits.   ;D

Haha....  ;D

It is a small town named Youghal by the sea in Co. Cork, i wouldnt describe it as a fishing town nor a port anymore, but quite clearly it was at some stage.  It has many bars/Restaurants named after various different maritime themes, such as Maggie May, Moby Dick. One of the main hotels in the town is called Walter Raleigh, as that was where the man himself first arrived in Ireland with the potato and tobacco, many many years ago.

Small bit of useless info for you  ;)

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2008, 11:18:10 am »
Haha....  ;D

It is a small town named Youghal by the sea in Co. Cork, i wouldnt describe it as a fishing town nor a port anymore, but quite clearly it was at some stage.  It has many bars/Restaurants named after various different maritime themes, such as Maggie May, Moby Dick. One of the main hotels in the town is called Walter Raleigh, as that was where the man himself first arrived in Ireland with the potato and tobacco, many many years ago.

Not useless info at all.  I love stuff like that, and find it very interesting.

Here are the last of the Scottish recipes.  I'll start the Chinese ones next week, and also have a look for some others which will be suitable for James.

Crowdie Potato Cakes

1lb hot mashed potatoes
1 egg yolk, beaten (individually freeze the white for another recipe)
2oz Crowdie cheese
2oz butter
1tbsp snipped chives
Butter for frying

Mix the egg yolk and cheese into the hot potatoes with the butter and the chives.  Season to taste.  Take up a portion of the mixture and roll it into a ball, then flatten it into a round about ¾ inch thick - repeat until all the mixture is used up.  Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the cakes in batches in the hot butter until they are golden brown on both sides. 

Buttered Oranges

This was a favourite pudding of King James VI of Scotland.

6 small oranges
2 large juicy oranges
2oz castor sugar
5 egg yolks, beaten (individually freeze the whites for another recipe)
1tsp rosewater
4oz soft unsalted butter cut into 1 inch cubes
¼ pint double cream
1 large piece soft candied orange

Remove a “lid” from the top of each small orange and remove the pith.  Carefully hollow out the flesh from each orange, taking care not to pierce the skin.  Eat the removed flesh or blend into a smoothie.

Grate the rind from the two large oranges and squeeze out their juice.  Mix the rind, juice, beaten egg yolks and sugar in a small basin and place over a pan of boiling water.  Do not let the bottom of the basin touch the water.  Stir gently and continuously with a balloon whisk until the mixture is as thick as a good custard.  (Do not whisk too briskly, and take care to scrape the sides of the bowl from time to time). 

When the orange mixture starts to leave a thick trail or “ribbon” when you lift it with the whisk, remove the basin from the pan and stand it in cold water to cool it slightly.  Keep stirring it and add the rosewater.  Remove the basin from the cold water. 

Whisk the butter pieces into the mixture one at a time, making sure each one is incorporated before adding the next.  Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks and fold it into the mixture.  Cut the candied orange into small pieces, and as the mixture starts to set, fold the pieces in, so that they stay suspended and do not sink to the bottom.  Fill the orange shells with the mixture and replace the lids. 

Kipper Cream

Serves 8

1lb kipper fillets, cooked
½ pint milk
1oz butter
1oz plain flour
¼ pint mayonnaise
2 large eggs, separated, the yolks beaten
2tsp lemon juice
A pinch of nutmeg
½ oz powdered gelatine
3tbs warm water

Remove the skins from the kippers and flake the flesh. 

Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook gently for a minute or two until well mixed but not browned.  Remove the pan and blend in the milk.  When blended in well, put the pan back on the heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly, then stir in the beaten egg yolks, the nutmeg and the lemon juice.

Dissolve the gelatine in the water.  If it proves stubborn, put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds on high, checking it each 10 seconds.  The stir the dissolved gelatine into the sauce, stir in the kippers, take the mixture off the heat and leave it on one side until it is starting to set.

Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, then fold them into the sauce.  The fold in the mayonnaise.  Turn the mixture into a shallow, lightly oiled 2 pint dish.  (If you prefer to make this into individual servings, lightly oil ramekins and turn the sauce into those).  Smooth over the surface and leave overnight to set. 

If you are using ramekins, you might want to consider wrapping the ramekins in a double layer of baking parchment, taped where the paper joins, and secured around each ramekin with string, so as to make a “collar” which will stand above the rim of the ramekin.  You then spoon the mixture above the rim of the ramekin, where the “collar” will hold it until it is set.

The following day, either turn the whole Kipper Cream onto a serving plate and garnish with (say) cucumber slices and green stuffed olives, cut in half, or cut the string and tape surrounding the ramekins, and carefully unwrap the “collar”, leaving the cream standing above the rim, and perhaps garnish the tops with a very thin slice of cucumber, cut half way through and twisted into a twirl, and a couple of cut green stuffed olives either side of it. 

This eats very well with Melba Toast.  And here's the recipe to save anyone looking it up.

Melba Toast

One small white sliced loaf

Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2/Fan 135C.

Cut the crusts off the slices.  Give crusts to the birdies.

Roll the slices one at a time with a rolling pin to flatten them.  Either leave the slices whole or cut them in half, as you please.  Place the slices on baking trays and bake for about 30 minutes or until pale golden and curling at the edges.

Cool the slices on a wire rack.  Store the cooled slices in an airtight container or tin.

Potted Beef

6oz cold cooked beef
4oz cream cheese
2 tsp tomato puree
2tsp mayonnaise
¼ level teaspoon French mustard
A good pinch of mace
1oz melted butter

Mince the beef (or blitz it in a food processor).  Mix in the cream cheese.  Then stir in the tomato puree, mayonnaise, mustard and ground mace.  Taste and add salt if desired.  Pack the potted meat into a small dish.  Melt the butter and pour it over the surface.  Store in the fridge until required.

Drambuie Spiced Peaches

Serves 6

10 fresh peaches
4tbs Drambuie
½ pint cold water
8oz caster sugar
¼ level teaspoon nutmeg
A 2 inch piece of cinnamon stick

Put the water, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon stick in a pan, and over a very low heat dissolve the sugar, being careful to brush down any grains which stick to the sides of the pan.  The bring the syrup to the boil and boil it rapidly for one minute.  Remove the pan from the heat.

Plunge the peaches into a bowl of boiling water, and leave them there while you slowly count to ten, then transfer them to a bowl of cold water, and peel off their skins.  Cut each peach in half lengthwise, twist them to separate and then remove the stones.  Put the peach halves into the syrup and poach them over a medium heat for 5 minutes.

Leave the peaches in the syrup to cool, and then stir in the Drambuie.  Chill the peaches for at least four hours before serving with single cream.

Bonnie Prince Charlie’s Pears

Serves 6

6 firm ripe pears
½ pint water
1 orange
4oz soft brown sugar
2 level teaspoons arrowroot
4tbs Drambuie

Using a potato peeler, remove the skin from the pears, but leave the stalks in place.  The cut off a small slice from the bottom of the pears to make a level base, and try to remove as much of the core as possible.

Put the water and sugar into a shallow pan, and over a low heat dissolve the sugar, brushing down any grains which stick to the sides of the pan, and stirring occasionally, until it has melted.  Pare the rind from the orange, again using the potato peeler, making sure the rind is free of pith, then squeeze the juice from the orange, and add it to the pan with the rind.  Bring the syrup to the boil, then reduce the heat, add the pears, cover the pan and poach the pears gently for about 40 minutes, or until they are tender but still whole. 

Transfer the pears to a serving dish.  Remove the orange rind and cut about half of it (or more if you like) into very fine strips to use for decoration.

Blend the arrowroot to a smooth consistency with the Drambuie, then pour it into the syrup, then over a low heat and stirring all the time, bring the sauce to the boil to thicken and clear.

Spoon the sauce over the pears and scatter the orange shreds over them.  Serve with single cream. 

Raspberry Souffle

Serves 6

3 large eggs, separated
3oz caster sugar
½ oz powdered gelatine
The juice of a half lemon made up to 3 fl oz with water
8oz fresh or frozen raspberries
¼ pint double cream
1oz chopped browned almonds
A few extra fresh raspberries for decoration

Encircle a 1¾ pint souffle dish with a doubled sheet of foil that stands about 2 inches above the rim of the dish.  Fasten the side join with tape, and secure the foil around the dish with string.

Put the raspberries into a food processor and blitz until pureed.  Then rub the puree through a metal sieve to remove the pips.  Measure the quantity of puree.  You will need ½ pint of puree for this recipe.  You can freeze the remainder as a sauce to pour over ice cream.

Put the egg yolks into a bowl.  Suspend the bowl over a pan of hot water, not allowing the base of the bowl to touch the water.  Whisk the mixture until it is thick and creamy in consistency.  Remove the bowl from the heat.

Dissolve the gelatine in the lemon juice and water over a low heat, then beat it into the creamy mixture and continue beating until the mixture cools.

Whisk the cream to a soft peak consistency.  Reserve a little for decoration, and fold the rest into the mixture.  The fold in the raspberry puree.

Stirring occasionally, leave the souffle mixture until it is on the point of setting.  The whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, and then fold them into the souffle mixture, and pour the mixture into the souffle dish.  Leave in the fridge overnight to set.

To serve, remove the foil collar carefully with the help of a palette knife.  Press the nuts into the side of the soufflé mixture standing above the rim of the dish so that they adhere, then decorate the top of the souffle with the remaining cream and the extra raspberries. 

Drambuie Souffle with Melba Sauce

Serves 4

4 large eggs, separated, yolks beaten
1oz butter
1oz plain four
¼ pint milk
3oz caster sugar
4tbs Drambuie
A few drops of vanilla essence

For the Melba Sauce

1lb fresh or frozen raspberries
4oz sifted icing sugar

Lightly butter a 2 pint souffle dish and sprinkle it with caster sugar.  Shake out any surplus.

Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook gently for about 1 minute without browning.  Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the milk.  When the sauce is smooth, return the pan to the heat and bring the sauce to the boil to thicken it, stirring it all the time.  Stir in the beaten egg yolks a little at a time, then beat in the caster sugar with the Drambuie and the vanilla essence.

Whisk the egg whites until they stand in soft peaks, and then using a metal spoon, lightly and quickly fold them into the sauce mixture.  Turn the mixture into the souffle dish, and cook in the middle of a preheated oven 375F/190C/Gas 5 for about 40 minutes or until it is well risen and golden brown.

Scatter a little icing sugar over the top and serve immediately with the Melba Sauce in a jug to pour over the individual portions.

To make the Melba Sauce, all you do is blitz the raspberries in a food processor and then rub the puree through a metal sieve to remove the pips.  Then sweeten with icing sugar to your taste.

Scottish Royal Pancakes

Serves 4

4oz plain flour
A pinch of salt
2 eggs, beaten
½ pint milk
Lard for frying

For the sauce

3 large oranges
2 large lemons
3oz butter
4oz caster sugar
3tbs Drambuie

Place all the batter ingredients with half the milk into a food processor and blitz thoroughly unto smooth, then add the rest of the milk through the feeder tube.

Melt a little lard in an 8 inch frying pan and pour into enough batter to thinly coat the base of the pan.  Fry until the underside of the pancake is brown, flip over and brown the other side.  Turn the pancake onto a tea towel and keep them warm.  Make 7 more pancakes.

Grate the rinds from the oranges and lemons and squeeze out their juice.  Melt the butter in a frying pan, stir in the sugar and cook for one minute.  Add the grated rinds, strain in the orange and lemon juice and bring to the boil.  Add the Drambuie.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.

Fold each pancake into quarters and place in the sauce.  Simmer gently for 3 minutes, spooning the sauce over the pancakes.  Serve two pancakes for each person with a little of the sauce.

Atholl Brose Pudding

Serves 4

½ pint double cream
3 fl oz whisky
3tbs runny heather honey
2oz pinhead oatmeal, toasted

Whip the cream until it just holds its shape.  Stir in the oatmeal with the honey.  Chill, then just before serving, mix in the whisky.  Serve in small stemmed glasses.

A couple of things.

Dear Strict Mentor - I've put the Melba Toast recipe up again with the Kipper Cream to save people searching for it, so if you could please discount that from my tally I'd be grateful.   :wave

Rox.  I thought the Potted Beef recipe might be suitable for you to eat with salad for your diet.  You don't need to pour the melted butter over, as that's only really to act as a seal if you're not intending to use the beef for a few days, and not necessary if you're going to eat the beef straight away. 

The Potted Beef makes a great sandwich filling, and if you do decide to use it as that, then do pour the melted butter over and let it set, and then you don't need to butter the bread.   ;D

Offline voronin_is_ghod

• Officially very annoying and doesn't know what he's doing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • makes me wanna grow a ponytail
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2008, 11:23:55 am »
Haha....  ;D

Been to youghal mate yeah it does have a m,aritime feel to the place

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2008, 09:32:10 pm »
Chorizo Pasta

Half a chorizo ring finely chopped
Can of Chopped Tomatos, as good quality as possible.
Marscapone Cheese
Finely chopped Onion
Finely Chopped Garlic Clove
Bag of Fresh Spaghetti

Put the chorizo, garlic and onion in a pan, fry it off until slightly browned. Add the tomatoes and reduce down until the watery liquid has been cooked off. Turn the heat down on the sauce while cooking the Spaghetti. At the last minute add a dessert spoon of Marscapone cheese and stir well. Add to the pasta and season.  MMMMMmmmmmmmmm

Made this today, beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top recipe mate  :wave
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2008, 04:04:16 pm »
I’m going to start posting Chinese recipes today, but before I do, I thought it might help those who aren’t really into Chinese cooking to post pointers which I’ve learned along the way, and which hopefully will encourage them to have a try at it.

The first thing is to find a Chinese supermarket or Cash and Carry.  They will have a massive range of all the ingredients you will need, far cheaper than non-Chinese supermarkets, and lots of other goodies as well.  For example:

I won’t be posting any recipes for Peking Duck, because you can buy the whole ducks frozen (they look like road kill) - I prefer Cherry Valley Ducks, but they are all good.  They also do the pancakes in a largish pack, but inside the packs the pancakes are in cello bags of about 10, and they also do the Hoi Sin Sauce and Peking Duck Sauce, along with a huge range of other sauces.

They do a large range of Dim Sum, so I won’t be posting any recipes for spring rolls, dumplings or won tons.  They are all labour intensive to make yourself, and the ones from the cash and carry are excellent.

Frozen prawns.  They sell poly bags of individually frozen headless prawns.  The beauty of this is that you only need take out as many as you want, and aren’t lumbered with defrosting a whole pack.  The trading name is “Black Brotherhood” or “White Brotherhood” (which just refers to the colour of the shells) - of the two I prefer the Black Brotherhood.  The bags are priced according to the size of the prawns.  I’ve used these frozen prawns for years, and have always found them as good as (and frequently better than) fresh.

Unless you already have one, don’t buy a metal steamer.  The cash and carry do a large range of bamboo ones, and they sell the lids and bases separately.  No matter how well you soak the base, in the end they’ll char, and you only need buy another base, not the whole thing.  Buy a perforated metal spoon there as well.  I use mine for all sorts, and it is one of the most useful kitchen utensils I have. 

The recipes and getting organised. 

Preparation is key to Chinese cooking.  The actual cooking time is very brief - usually 5 to 10 minutes and the dish is done, so you don’t have time to start mixing, chopping, starting to look for stuff and generally getting frazzled.  Just because there are a number of ingredients doesn’t mean you need all kinds of jars and bowls all over the place.  For instance, if the recipe says that three similar ingredients are added to the wok at the same time, put them into one bowl - you don’t need them sitting separately in three bowls - that just causes mess and confusion.  And don’t be daunted by a long list of ingredients for the sauce and think “No way”.  That becomes “Yes way” when you realise that all you need do is before you start cooking, put your stock base into a jug, add whatever ingredients are listed to it, and pour the lot into your wok when the recipe says.  So all you’ll end up with is about 3 bowls and a jug, and you’ll be in control of the situation and feel a lot more confident.

I’ll suggest these instructions when I first post the recipes until you get the hang of it.

The wok and the wok lid.

Also both available from the cash and carry.  Buy a heavier wok, preferably made of carbon steel, which is better than the lighter stainless steel or aluminium type, as they cannot take very high heat and tend to blacken, as well as scorch the food. 

Make sure that the wok lid you buy fits tightly onto the wok, as this is essential for some recipes.

Seasoning your wok.

Most woks are oiled to protect them in transit, so you need to scrub your wok first to remove the oil.  Scrub it with a cream cleanser and warm water to remove as much oil as possible, then dry it out on a low heat.  Add 2 tablespoons of ordinary cooking oil and, using a wad of kitchen paper, rub the oil over the inside of the wok until the whole surface is lightly coated.  Heat the wok slowly for about 10 to 15 minutes, and then rub it thoroughly with kitchen paper.  The paper will become blackened.  Repeat this process of oiling, heating and rubbing until the kitchen paper becomes clean. 

Cleaning your wok

Once your wok is seasoned, you should never scrub it with soap and water.  Just rinse it in warm, plain, clean water and dry it thoroughly after each use - putting the cleaned wok over a low heat for a minute or two should do the trick.  If your wok does become rusty, scrub it with cream cleanser and re-season it.

Right.  That’s all I can think of for the moment.  Now for a few recipes. 

Perfect Steamed Rice

Enough long grain rice to fill a glass measuring jug to 400ml/14 fl oz
600ml/1 pint cold water

Put the rice in a large bowl and wash it in several changes of water until the water becomes clear.  Drain the rice.

Put the drained rice into a pan with the water and bring to the boil.  Boil for about 5 minutes until most of the surface liquid has evaporated.  The surface should have small indentations like a pitted crater.

Cover the pan with a very tight fitting lid, turn the heat as low as possible and let the rice cook, undisturbed, for 15 minutes.  There is no need to “fluff” the rice, just let it rest for 5 minutes off the heat before serving. 

Egg Fried Rice

Serves 4

1 quantity of completely cold Perfect Steamed Rice
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2tsp sesame oil
1 teaspoon salt
2tbs groundnut oil
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2tbs finely chopped spring onions

No prep necessary

Put the eggs, sesame oil and half the salt in a small jug, mix with a fork and set aside.

Heat the wok over a high heat.  Add the groundnut oil and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the cold cooked rice.  Stir fry for 3 minutes, or until the rice is thoroughly heated through.

Then drizzle in the egg and oil mixture, and continue to stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until the eggs have set and the mixture is dry.

Add the remaining salt and the pepper and stir fry for 2 minutes longer, then toss in the spring onions.  Stir several times, turn onto a platter and serve at once.

Stir-fried Pork with Spring Onions

Serves 3-4

450g/1lb lean boneless pork
1tbs groundnut oil
8 spring onions, cut on the diagonal into 2 inch lengths
1tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1tsp sugar

For the marinade

1tbs Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1tbs light soy sauce
2tsp sesame oil
1tsp cornflour

Prep

Mix all the marinade ingredients together and set aside.  Chop the spring onions and put them in a bowl with the salt, pepper and sugar.

Cut the pork into thin slices 2 inches long.

Put the sliced pork into a bowl and tip in the marinade ingredients.  Mix them well into the pork and set the bowl aside for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the pork to absorb the flavours.

Heat a wok to a very high heat, then add the groundnut oil.  When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the pork slices and stir fry for about 2 minutes, or until the pork is brown.  Remove the pork with a slotted spoon and leave it to drain in a colander.

Reheat the wok and tip in the spring onion mix.  Stir fry for 2 minutes or until the spring onions are wilted.  Return the pork to the wok and stir fry for another 2 minutes or until heated through.  Serve at once.

Steamed Cantonese-Style Fish

Serves 4

450g/1lb firm white fish fillets
1tsp salt
1½ tbs finely shredded root ginger
3tbs finely shredded spring onions
2tbs light soy sauce
2tsp dark soy sauce
1tbs groundnut oil
2tsps sesame oil
Fresh coriander springs to garnish if desired

Prep

Combine the soy sauces in a cup.  Combine the oils in a small pan.

Pat the fish dry with kitchen paper and evenly rub the fillets with the salt.  Put the fish on a heatproof plate and scatter the ginger evenly over the top.  Put a wooden steamer into a deep large pan and fill the pan with 2 inches of water.  Bring the water to the boil over a high heat.  Put the plate of fish on top so it sits on the steamer, cover tightly with the pan lid and steam the fish until it is cooked - about 5 minutes.  The fish should turn opaque and flake slightly, but still remain moist.

Put the little pan with the oils in it on a low heat to start to heat through.

Then remove the plate of steamed fish from the pan and pour off any liquid that may have accumulated.  Put the drained fish onto a serving plate.  Turn the heat under the little pan to high.  Scatter the spring onions over the fish, then drizzle over the soy sauces.  The oils should now be smoking hot.  Pour them over the fish, garnish with the coriander sprigs if desired and serve at once.

Cantonese Egg Flower Soup

Serves 4

1 egg, lightly beaten
2tsp sesame oil
2 pints chicken stock
1tsp sugar
1tsp salt
1tbs light soy sauce
3tbs finely shredded spring onions, white part only
3tbs finely shredded green spring onion tops, to garnish

Prep

Mix the egg and sesame oil in a bowl.  Mix together the sugar, salt and soy sauce.

Put the stock into a wok or pan, and bring to a simmer.  Add the sugar, salt and soy mixture, and stir to mix well.  Stir in the white part of the spring onions.  Now add the egg mixture in a very slow, steady stream.

Using chopsticks or a fork, pull the egg slowly into strands.  (Stirring the egg in a figure of eight movement works very well).  Then garnish with the spring onion tops and serve immediately.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 04:08:56 pm by Maggie May »

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2008, 04:08:39 pm »
Keep the chinese recipes coming mags, I love chinky food :lickin

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2008, 04:27:11 pm »
Mags any crispy chili beef recipes please, I'll trade you for another soup one  :P

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »
Mags any crispy chili beef recipes please, I'll trade you for another soup one  :P

I'll have a look and see what I can find.  Thing is mate,  we don't like chillies (except in very small quantities), so they won't be ones which we've eaten but which I've cooked for my mate and her family - and they've devoured them, so they must be OK.  I know it sounds wierd, but she totally refuses to have a go at Chinese cooking - says its much too complicated, when in fact it isn't - so I go over and cook for her if she fancies something special.  Normally, I only post stuff which we've eaten and can recommend, so I hope this is all right with you.   :wave

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2008, 05:12:58 pm »
Sounds good to me mags, I would rather try one that someone has given a seal of approval to rather than one I have pulled from the net  :D

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2008, 06:06:02 pm »
Sounds good to me mags, I would rather try one that someone has given a seal of approval to rather than one I have pulled from the net  :D

Furry nuff.

I've had a root round and found the folder I keep Kathy's recipes in, which had your crispy chilli beef one - I hope its the right one.  There's also a chicken one which is a favourite I thought you might like.  They're mainly spicy, so since you like spicy stuff I'll put them all up from time to time.  I also found a mini-folder with just prawn recipes in (but not my lost favourite - alas), so I'll also post those up when I've finished the Chinese ones. 

So I look forward to one of your delicious soups, please.   :lickin :lickin :lickin

Crispy Shredded Beef (Tiger’s Whiskers)

Serves 4

10-12oz rump or topside
2 eggs, beaten
¼ tsp salt
5tbsp plain flour
Vegetable oil for deep frying
2 medium sized carrots, finely shredded
2 spring onions, finely shredded
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
3 small fresh red or green chillies, seeded and finely shredded
4tbsp sugar
1tbsp light soy sauce
3tbsp chicken stock
1tsp cornflour

Prep

Beat the eggs with the salt and flour to make a batter.  Add a little water if necessary.  Put the spring onions, garlic and chillies together in a bowl.  Mix the stock, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce in a jug.  Mix the cornflour in a cup with sufficient water to make a creamy consistency.

Cut the steak across the grain into very thin strips, put them into a bowl and pour the batter over them.  Mix well until the beef is well coated.

Heat the wok over a high heat and then add the vegetable oil.  When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the beef strips and deep fry them for about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring continually to separate the strips.  Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen towels.

Add the carrots to the wok and deep fry them for about 1 to 1½ minutes, then remove them with a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen towels.

Pour off the excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoonful in the wok, and reheat until slightly smoking.  Put the carrots back into the wok together with the spring onions, garlic and chilli.  Stir fry for 1 minute and then add the stock mixture.  Blend well and bring to the boil.  Stir in the cornflour mixture and simmer for a few minutes to thicken the sauce.  Return the beef to the wok and stir until all the shreds are well coated with the sauce.  Serve immediately.

Spicy Chicken with Peanuts (also known as Gongbao or Kung Pao Chicken)

Serves 4

3tbs groundnut oil
3 dried red chillies, split lengthways in half
1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
3oz roasted (but not salted) peanuts

For the sauce

2tbs chicken stock
2tbs Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1tbs dark soy sauce
2tsp sugar
1tbs coarsely chopped garlic
2tsp finely chopped spring onions
1tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
2tsp cider vinegar
1tsp salt
2tsp sesame oil

Prep

Mix the chopped chicken and peanuts in a bowl.  Mix all the sauce ingredients except the sesame oil in a jug.

Heat a wok over a high heat.  Add the groundnut oil and the chillies and stir fry for a few seconds (you may remove the chillies when they turn black or leave them in).  Assuming you leave the chillies in - then add the chicken and peanuts and stir fry for 1 minute.  Remove the chicken, peanuts and chillies from the wok and drain them in a colander.

Pour all the sauce ingredients, except the sesame oil, into the wok.  Bring to the boil and then turn the heat down.  Return the chicken, peanuts and chillies to the wok and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes in the sauce, mixing well.

Finally, add the sesame oil, give everything a good stir, remove the chillies if you like, and serve immediately.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59:23 pm »
That looks quite simple, thanks mags, a soup recipe you say, hmmmmmm how about

Ham and Asparagus

1 medium onion
1 clove of garlic
1 bunch of fresh asparagus
1 medium potato
A generous helping of finely chopped cooked ham
1 chicken stock cube

Lightly fry the onion and garlic
Add asparagus and potato
cover with water and add chicken stock cube
Simmer until soft
Whizz
Add ham stir it about
Eat, yummy  :lickin

onion fry garlic, tin of asparagus chicken stock cover add spud whizz add cooked ham and vserve

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2008, 09:09:22 pm »
Wow.  Well up to your usual standard of excellence.  I love asparagus and I love ham.  What a great combination.  My only regret is that I'm going to have to wait until next week to make it, as we're going to be away from Thursday to Sunday.    :(

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2008, 12:07:47 pm »
Here's today's recipes.  We're having the Beef and Oyster one tonight.   :D

Sweetcorn and Crabmeat Soup

Serves 4

10oz tinned or frozen Sweetcorn
1 egg white (individually freeze the yolk for use in another recipe)
1tsp sesame oil
2 pints chicken stock
1tbsp light soy sauce
2tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
1tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
1tsp sugar
2tsp cornflour, blended with 2tsp water
8oz fresh or frozen crabmeat
2tbs spring onions, finely chopped, as garnish

Prep

Mix the egg white and sesame oil well together (no need to whisk, just use a fork), in a small jug.  Mix the rice wine or sherry, light soy sauce, ginger, salt, pepper, sugar, and the cornflour mixture together in a jug or small bowl.

Drain the Sweetcorn if tinned.  Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan and add the corn.  Simmer for 5 minutes than add the rice wine mixture.  Bring back to the boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.  Add the crabmeat.

Immediately afterwards, slowly pour in the egg white mixture in a slow and steady stream, stirring all the time.  Transfer the soup to a tureen or individual bowls and garnish with the spring onions.

Sweet and Sour Prawns

Serves 4

1½ tbs groundnut oil
1½ tbs coarsely chopped garlic
2tsp finely chopped root ginger
4 spring onions, cut into 1½ inch pieces on the diagonal
1lb raw prawns, shelled and de-veined
4oz red or green peppers (or 2oz of each if you prefer) cut into 1 inch squares
8oz fresh or tinned water chestnuts, peeled if fresh, sliced.

For the sauce

5 fl oz chicken stock
2tbs Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
3tbs light soy sauce
2tbs dark soy sauce
1½ tbs tomato paste
3tbs cider vinegar
1tbs sugar
1tbs cornflour, blended with 2tbs water

Prep

Put the garlic, ginger and spring onions together in a bowl.  Put the pepper and water chestnuts in a bowl.  Put all the ingredients except the cornflour mixture into a jug.

Heat a wok over a high heat, then add the oil.  When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic mixture, and stir fry for 20 seconds.  Add the prawns and stir fry for 1 minute.  Add the peppers and water chestnuts and stir fry for 30 seconds.  Now add the sauce ingredients from the jug.  Stir well, bring to the boil and then add the cornflour mixture and mix well.  Turn the heat down and simmer for 3 minutes.  Serve immediately. 

Stir-fried Beef with Oyster Sauce

Serves 4

Oyster sauce does not taste at all fishy.  It has a meaty flavour and goes very well with beef or pork.

1lb lean beef steak
1tbs light soy sauce
2tsp sesame oil
2tsp cornflour
3tbs groundnut oil
3tbs oyster sauce
1½ tbs spring onions, finely chopped, to garnish

Prep

Just mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine or sherry, and cornflour together in a large bowl.

Cut the beef against the grain into slices 2 inches long and ¼ inch thick.  Put the slices into the soy sauce mixture and stir until thoroughly coated.  Leave to marinate for at least 20 minutes.

Heat a wok until it is very hot, then add the groundnut oil.  When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the beef slices and stir fry for 5 minutes or until they are lightly browned. 

Tip the contents of the wok into a colander set over a bowl and drain well. Discard the drained oil.

Wipe the wok clean and reheat it over a high heat.  Add the oyster sauce and reduce the heat to a simmer.  Return the drained beef slices to the wok and toss them thoroughly in the oyster sauce until they are thoroughly coated and well warned through.  Turn the mixture onto a serving platter, garnish with the spring onions and serve immediately.

Stir-fried Chicken with Black Bean Sauce

Serves 4

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch chunks
1tbs light soy sauce
1½ tbs Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
½ tsp salt
1tsp sugar
1tsp sesame oil
2tsp cornflour
2tbs groundnut oil
1tbs finely chopped root ginger
1½ tbs coarsely chopped garlic
2tbs finely chopped shallots
4tbs finely chopped spring onions
2½ tbs coarsely chopped black beans
5 fl oz chicken stock

Prep

Mix together the soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, salt, sugar, sesame oil and cornflour in a large bowl.  Mix the ginger, garlic, shallots, 2tbs of the spring onions and the black beans in a small bowl. 

Put the chopped chicken into the mixture in the large bowl and mix thoroughly until the chicken pieces are well coated.  Heat the wok over a high heat, then add the oil.  When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the chicken pieces and stir fry for 2 minutes.

Then add the ginger mixture and stir fry for 2 minutes.  Then add the stock.  Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  Garnish with the remaining spring onions and serve immediately.

Braised Sichuan-style Spicy Beancurd

Serves 4

1lb fresh bean curd
1tbs groundnut oil
1tbs whole yellow bean sauce
1tbs dark soy sauce
½ tsp salt
1tsp red chilli powder or cayenne pepper, or to taste
6 fl oz chicken stock
2tbs coarsely chopped garlic
2tsp cornflour mixed with 1tbs water
1tsp finely ground roasted Sichuan peppercorns

Prep

In a small dry pan, roast the peppercorns for about 1 minute.  Remove them from the heat and allow them to cool completely.  Put them in a small sandwich bag, and crush them thoroughly with a rolling pin or tin until you can no longer hear them popping.  Set them aside on a saucer.  Mix together the groundnut oil and yellow bean sauce.  Mix together with soy sauce and salt.  Mix the garlic into the cornflour mixture.

Gently cut the bean curd into 1½ inch cubes.  Heat the wok to a high heat.  Add the groundnut oil mix and stir fry for 30 seconds.  Add the soy sauce mix and stir fry for 1 minute.  Add the chilli powder and stir fry for 30 seconds.  Pour in the stock, add the bean curd and simmer for 3 minutes.  Finally, add the garlic and cornflour mixture and cook for 1 minute.  Ladle the mixture into a serving bowl, sprinkle over the ground Sichuan peppercorns and serve immediately.

Offline deadlybuzz

• Vuvuzela queen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2008, 03:42:31 pm »
My ex-girlfriends French toast recipe

I had a go at this recipe the other day, I usually have French Toast with cinnamon and lemon juice, never thought of it with tabasco! It went down a treat, thanks for contributing.
Great idea this thread was Maggie, just reading everyone's recipes, I'll definately be trying a few more!

So here's my contribution:  :wave

Jam Tarts

You will need:
~150g Sweet Paste~ (250g plain flour, 125g diced softened butter, 25g icing sugar & c.1/2 egg beaten. Rub butter into flour til it looks like breadcrumbs then use hands to bring it together with the egg. Cover ball in cling film leave to rest in fridge for around 30 mins.)
~jam~ (strawberry, blackberry, apricot.....its up to you)

Preheat the oven to 200C (I think that's Gas Mark 6/400F).[/li][/list]

Roll out pastry to a thickness of about 3mm. Cut out pastry with a round 6cm(21/2 inch) cutter. You may need to reroll pastry to get as many rounds.

Press the pastry rounds into a shallow cupcake tin and drop a teaspoon of jam into each. Cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the pastry is golden and the jam's bubbling. Allow to cool slightly before removing tarts from the tin.

Great with a cup of tea in the evening.
Ahh, pressing refresh and waiting for news... just like the bad old days.

Liverpool porn, this.

anyone who's negative can fuck off

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2008, 03:57:37 pm »
Thank you for the compliment Deadlybuzzing, but the credit for the thread goes to Blurred.  It was his idea to start it to help me with my New Year's Resolution to put a recipe a day on my computer, as my recipe books, papers and Lord knows what else are in such a mess, and I keep losing stuff.  After I realised that it wasn't going to be physically possible to post every day (hols and such), Blurred (who is my Strict Mentor), agreed that as long as I post 366 by this year end that would do.  So when I can I'm posting more than one so I can build up my "credit" for when I'm away.

I'm absolutely delighted you posted that recipe.  I haven't eaten jam tarts for years, and I'm definately going to put that deficiency right next week.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2008, 11:06:25 pm »
I havent had homemade jam tarts for years, shall give them a go over the weekend  :D

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2008, 01:20:55 am »
Anyone know a good bombay potato recipe?
Ive never made them and want to impress my girlfriend as she claims she loves them? :wave

cheers in advance.

If not ill google it ;D
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline MomoIsBoss

• Hope he cancelled the milk.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sappnin Lad
« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2008, 01:33:27 am »
Toast

Get bread out of wrapper, ensure the bread has no green bits anywhere on the slice, if this is the case throw into the bin and get another loaf. If this means driving to the shop for another then so be it. Get the piece of bread out, if it is hard this is known as 'stale' take it back to the shop and get a refund unless they promise you this is a fresh loaf. Finally you are ready to prepare your toast. Take the slice of bread out and place into the toaster, ensure the toaster is on the setting at which you want your bread to be toasted at. Once this is ensured while you are waiting get yourself a blunt butter knife and some butter and if you like anything on top, as in Jam, get it ready. Get yourself prepared for the toast to pop out, make sure you are adequately prepared as you can sometimes soil your underwear through the sheer shock of it popping out. If this happens change your underwear, wash hands and carry on. once it finally pops out and you don't end up with shitty underwear, you can prepare your toast, firstly butter the toast ensuring all corners are buttered and it is adequately covered in cholesterol fuelled goodness. Once this is ensured add anything on top whether its Jam or if like me you enjoy it normal.
We're all laughing at Everton, ha ha ha ha