Author Topic: Road Rage  (Read 37910 times)

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
Re: Road Rage
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2007, 09:55:12 am »
Going the match the other day.

Was in a bit of a rush due to playing ourselves Saturday afternoon and needed to nip across country for a couple of miles to join the East Lancs.

40 mph speed limit but a woman in front of me doing less than 30......clear late afternoon, weather conditions great, not much on the roads....take your fucking foot off the brake lady for fuck sake.  :no
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline HIF Red

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2007, 10:05:02 am »
Now, that I don't understand. I sit in the middle lane often, otherwise I'm in and out of the left lane overtaking trucks every 60 seconds. I don't see the problem if I'm travelling at the speed limit. Yet people seem to think that I should have to change lanes all the time so that they don't have to?
Check the highway code - you're breaking the law by sitting in the middle lane even if you are diving at the speed limit.  OK so the people speeding that you are blocking off are also breaking the law but it doesn't make what you're doing right does it?

If I go and murder someone does that mean it's OK for you to go out and commit rape?

Get out of the fucking way!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:08:32 am by HIF Red »

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2007, 10:06:16 am »
Now, that I don't understand. I sit in the middle lane often, otherwise I'm in and out of the left lane overtaking trucks every 60 seconds. I don't see the problem if I'm travelling at the speed limit. Yet people seem to think that I should have to change lanes all the time so that they don't have to?

At last, someone has explained this "logic" to me (although I did once hear someone try and "justify" this awful, awful driving by claiming he thought it was 50 for the "slow" lane, 60 for the middle and 70 for the "fast"!) 

It's the law, mate, and a very useful one as well.  Do you ever see the congestion you cause by being a middle-lane-Malcolm?  By sitting in the middle lane, you have effectively reduced the capacity of the motorway to two lanes as no-one can undertake you on the near side. 

It's also much more dangerous as people have to bunch up in the oputside lane (often losing patience) while they overtake you using the one lane open to them while you are effectively hogging two.  It's selfish, bad driving, irresponsible, lazy and inconsiderate.  Use good lane discipline and don't be a moron. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2007, 10:14:10 am »

Unless you are using a sat nav to get your speed reading, an indicated 70 is nowhere near 70, if you are unable to use your mirrors and pull out as and when required to overtake, perhaps motorway driving isn't for you.

People sat in the middle lane vastly reduce the capacity of the road network, if you are really overtaking stuff every 60 seconds then it's not so bad, if the inside lane is clear then use it, or expect a driving without due care and attention ticket, which is what you should be done for.

Another thing I can't stand is dickheads (normally women) turning right sat in the middle of the road so those turning left can't fit past.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:18:26 am by Ben S »

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2007, 10:41:42 am »
Unless you are using a sat nav to get your speed reading, an indicated 70 is nowhere near 70, if you are unable to use your mirrors and pull out as and when required to overtake, perhaps motorway driving isn't for you.

People sat in the middle lane vastly reduce the capacity of the road network, if you are really overtaking stuff every 60 seconds then it's not so bad, if the inside lane is clear then use it, or expect a driving without due care and attention ticket, which is what you should be done for.

Another thing I can't stand is dickheads (normally women) turning right sat in the middle of the road so those turning left can't fit past.

Is correct. Using the middle lane un-necessarily is illegal, it's there for overtaking slower moving vehicles in the inside lane. End of.

And I agree that turning right from the middle of a T-junction is so inconsiderate.

My personal favourite is round-a-bouts. Lane discipline at round-a-bouts is generally appalling. Allow me to expand... often there are two lanes as you approach, the left hand lane being for turning left & going straight on, the right hand land for turning right. You always get pricks (normally several of them) who refuse to join the (longer) queue in the left hand lane and go straight on from the right hand lane. Fucking wankers. Are their journeys more important than mine or something? Are they more important than me? Anyone who does that is a fucking grade one wanker.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2007, 10:49:06 am »
My personal favourite is round-a-bouts. Lane discipline at round-a-bouts is generally appalling. Allow me to expand... often there are two lanes as you approach, the left hand lane being for turning left & going straight on, the right hand land for turning right.

I assume you mean where the exit is a single lane, if there are two lanes at the exit then it is permissible to use the right hand lane as well unless signage or road markings dictate otherwise.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2007, 11:02:14 am »
I assume you mean where the exit is a single lane, if there are two lanes at the exit then it is permissible to use the right hand lane as well unless signage or road markings dictate otherwise.

Correct. Apologies for not making it clear. They do my fucking nut in.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Gilly La

• shite speller, secure wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2007, 11:05:14 am »
Too may driving bugbears to mention. The middle lane one being top of the list though. I have flipped a few times in the past, but never got out the car to front someone, I'd never take it that far.
FOLLER ME ON TWITTER YER WOOLS

@gillythinks

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2007, 11:19:55 am »
I´m in the fast lane, overtaking a row of trucks, doing about 140 kph, a bloke behind starts to flash me, drive right up my arse and show all sorts of handsigns that I´m a dick and to hurry up!

I show him the middle finger so he overtakes me on the right hand side, cutting up cars on the middle lane, then pulls back out in front of me and slams his anchors on and eventually stops on the fast lane!

We both got out of our cars and I walk up to him, obviously raging, my face in his and I was seriously contemplating sticking the nut on him, but thoughts of a massive tailback due to an unconscious dickhead lying in the fast lane ran through my mind. When he braked there were cars behind me zigzagging all over the place, and about 50 people were ready to kill the fucker. I just told him to get back in his car or get a kicking.

Got a bollocking of the Mrs and my Dad for getting out the car as well!
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2007, 11:21:43 am »
i'm sure we've all been there,even as a backseat driver! :o

whats you worst you've done/witnessed or been a victim of?

by the way-i know you are the perfect driver....we all are!  :wave

Take a big chilled leaf out of the Indian book. Many times I have seen crashes in India and it's usually solved by a shrug of the shoulders, a shake of the head and a smile.

Relax my dear children.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2007, 11:27:46 am »
Fuck that, I´ve seen Indian panel beaters, bring them a top of the range motor and they turn it into a Renault Clio!
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2007, 11:41:38 am »

Fuck that, I´ve seen Indian panel beaters, bring them a top of the range motor and they turn it into a Renault Clio!

;D

The ones I seen where in the northern mountains were opium is rife. Maybe that's the secret.     ;D

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline slimshady

• Stupidista
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2007, 11:58:55 am »
not much bothers me really as radio 2 sorts that out...

But tail gaters 1st thing in the morning  :no

Padestrians who just "stroll across the road" (move it ffs,roads are for cars!!) :no

st Albans road in watford...........road to hell!! :no

Offline pistol

• ot of the time
  • Legacy Fan
  • My cat's name is mittens
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2007, 12:03:38 pm »

And depending on how far round the second exit is, the right hand lane should be used in some circumstances.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2007, 12:04:51 pm »
playing with ourselves Saturday afternoon

I'd keep that to yourselves...

People who drive in the middle lane on motorways do my fruit in.  It's even worse when there are more than 3 lanes and they still insist on sticking to the lane next to the outside one regardless of how much or how little traffic there is!  Drives me mental, that. 

Stick to the inside lane AT ALL TIMES unless you are overtaking! 

They do my nut in! Move over you idiots. I wish they would have adverts on TV like they did for "Dip don't Dazzle" - that seemed to have worked.

I saw a sort of road rage last season walking out of Anfield after the match. Was walking past Sam Dodds and this car pulled out of a side street on the oppo side. Some bloke starts screaming at the car saying it could have run him over and he starts smashing his hand into the window and kicking the drivers door (I'm having a dejavu I've mentioned this before?!). How the window never smased I'll never know. Felt really sorry for them as I thought he was making an example of them and there were 2 small kids in the back seat that must have been absolutely terrified.

Some bloke tried to get round me the other day on the approach to a motorway roundabout. He was giving me all the hand signals etc, but I just started laughing at him and winding him up more by pulling faces. He was going livid!!

I'll probably get slated for this, but women, please use your fucking mirrors, especially on motorways!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:06:30 pm by El Phes »

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2007, 12:17:08 pm »
There's a frightening amount of barely repressed rage out there in society and anyone who uses the roads very much will witness it sooner or later. I used to drive in London as part of my job and roadrage was a daily occurrence.

Some of the major frustrations have already been mentioned above. I'll add people not using their indicators, especially on roundabouts. Another which annoys me is people breaking lane markings in order to steal a couple of car places when coming up to a junction. A road I regularly turn out of has this all the time and several times they've nearly taken my front end off.

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2007, 12:24:50 pm »
It's the law, mate, and a very useful one as well.  Do you ever see the congestion you cause by being a middle-lane-Malcolm?  By sitting in the middle lane, you have effectively reduced the capacity of the motorway to two lanes as no-one can undertake you on the near side. 

It's also much more dangerous as people have to bunch up in the oputside lane (often losing patience) while they overtake you using the one lane open to them while you are effectively hogging two.  It's selfish, bad driving, irresponsible, lazy and inconsiderate.  Use good lane discipline and don't be a moron. 

Nope, I don't agree. If there are trucks in the left lane, I am overtaking continually, and I'm going the speed limit. If I'm blocking anyone, then it is someone who is speeding, so they can suck my balls if they expect that I should move over so that they don't have to. If there is no traffic in the left lane, I sit there. If there is traffic in the left lane doing less than the speed limit, I sit in the middle lane.

Check the highway code - you're breaking the law by sitting in the middle lane even if you are diving at the speed limit.

I'm not breaking the law if I'm overtaking.

if you are unable to use your mirrors and pull out as and when required to overtake, perhaps motorway driving isn't for you.

I could say the same for the people who seem unable to overtake me in the right hand lane though.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2007, 12:32:12 pm »
Some bloke bummed me the other day on the approach to a motorway roundabout.

I'd keep that to myself as well if I was you :)

I'll probably get slated for this, but women, please use your fucking mirrors, especially on motorways!

They do........to put their make-up on :)

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2007, 12:37:21 pm »
I don't think people have an issue with you mate if you're sat in the middle lane overtaking things. It's when people sit there and there's no traffic in the slow lane, that's the issue.

I overtake people sat in the middle lane and then once I'm past, I fly over to the slow lane to make a point. Sometimes I can be in the slow lane for another mile or 2 before I have to overtake again, but believe me when I say the car before is STILL in the middle lane. They really don't pay attention to the traffic around them and they are very dangerous.

I overtook someone in the slow lane the other day, went past them and pulled into the slow lane myself. No sooner had I overtaken them, they then moved out to the middle lane. There was nothing else for me to overtake in the slow lane, so why did they do this? Mental!!

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2007, 12:38:46 pm »
I'd keep that to myself as well if I was you :)

They do........to put their make-up on :)

::)

;D ;)

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2007, 12:43:07 pm »
I don't think people have an issue with you mate if you're sat in the middle lane overtaking things.

From my experience, they do! ;D  I understand the issue you are discussing, and it is a matter of people not understanding the road rules. But I had a guy flashing and beeping at me on the M6 a few weeks ago WHILE I was overtaking a truck that had just come onto the motorway, and I was doing 70mph. The right lane was empty! This happens to me rarely, but often enough that it is clear that some people think the middle and right lanes are for speeding, and people wanting to do 70 should stick to the left.

Offline HIF Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2007, 12:45:22 pm »
If I'm blocking anyone, then it is someone who is speeding, so they can suck my balls if they expect that I should move over so that they don't have to.
How about ambulances and other emergency vehicles delayed because of the congestion caused by your ignorance? 

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2007, 12:46:51 pm »
I just can't help it, I'm sorry  :D

That's exactly what I do approaching a junction where cars are geting on the motorway. I wouldn't worry about it then.

Offline Gilly La

• Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2007, 12:50:53 pm »
Nope, I don't agree. If there are trucks in the left lane, I am overtaking continually, and I'm going the speed limit. If I'm blocking anyone, then it is someone who is speeding, so they can suck my balls if they expect that I should move over so that they don't have to. If there is no traffic in the left lane, I sit there. If there is traffic in the left lane doing less than the speed limit, I sit in the middle lane.

I could say the same for the people who seem unable to overtake me in the right hand lane though.

You sound liek an arrogant tosser to be fair. Who the fuck made you traffic police? It's not your duty nor your obligation to limit the traffic of cars behind you. If you are sitting in the middle lane for no reason then you are helping cause congestion, breaking the law, and being a tit. FACT.

@gillythinks

Offline BristolRed

• Kopite
  • The 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2007, 12:51:15 pm »
I have three major complaints about fellow drivers;

1. Nobody has mentioned the pricks who drive with their fog lights on when there is no fog! Driving in the dark is not an excuse to use your fog lights.

2. Also people who don't use their fucking indicators, especially at roundabouts.

3. If I let you into traffic, or wait for you to pass in a tight situation, is it so hard for you to acknowledge me? Ignorant bastards.
Planner by Day - Part Time Internet Terrorist by Night!

Offline HIF Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2007, 12:53:28 pm »
Are you serious or are you fishing?

Why does this seem to be such a tricky concept for you to grasp? We all agree if you are overtaking then it is fine to be in the middle lane. If you aren't overtaking then it is illegal for you to be using the middle lane regardless of whether or not you are driving at the speed limit or whether or not you think it is OK.

Are there any other laws you think we should be able to pick and choose whether we obey or not?

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2007, 12:55:42 pm »
How about ambulances and other emergency vehicles delayed because of the congestion caused by your ignorance? 

I'm not an idiot... I move over for an ambulance that is rushing to the scene of an accident caused by the person who overtook me 10 minutes ago at 120mph.

The way I see it, if I have to move into the left lane for 30 seconds, then get stuck behind a truck doing 55-60 because I can't get back into the middle lane for another 30 seconds, then I should sit in the middle lane. Speeding and following too close to the car in front are the biggest factors contributing to congestion, so I can safely say that if I'm doing the speed limit, the person flashing their lights behind me is contributing more to congestion than I am. Like I said, I sit in the left lane when I'm not overtaking, but on a typical day on the M6 between here and Brum, if I moved into the left lane every time there was not a car directly next to me, I would never get to my destination.

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2007, 01:01:33 pm »
You sound liek an arrogant tosser to be fair. Who the fuck made you traffic police? It's not your duty nor your obligation to limit the traffic of cars behind you. If you are sitting in the middle lane for no reason then you are helping cause congestion, breaking the law, and being a tit. FACT.

Why does this seem to be such a tricky concept for you to grasp? We all agree if you are overtaking then it is fine to be in the middle lane. If you aren't overtaking then it is illegal for you to be using the middle lane regardless of whether or not you are driving at the speed limit or whether or not you think it is OK.

I'm not breaking the law though -- I'm overtaking. The complaint was people driving in the middle lane. The original poster probably meant people driving in the middle lane when the left lane is clear, which is fair enough, but to me, he was complaining about people driving in the middle lane, full stop. There really are people out there who seem to think the middle lane is for speeding, and Sunday drivers like me who don't want speeding fines should stick to the left lane only.

Offline Gilly La

• Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2007, 01:05:38 pm »
If you're overtaking, or moving over at a slip road to allow traffic to join, then thats obviously fine. I think everybody can see that. It's the way you put it across you're making it sound like you're preventing others from using the middle lane, just because you're doing 70, and they're doing more.

@gillythinks

Offline NickoH

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2007, 01:26:48 pm »
Speeding and following too close to the car in front are the biggest factors contributing to congestion

I would say the number of cars is the biggest factor  :wave

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2007, 01:28:49 pm »
Seem's that truck drivers now have a new habit or code that they can pull out on a roundabout whenever they like. Had this too much in the last few weeks, this morning if I wasnt paying attention like a lot of people dont then I would of been under the trailer.

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2007, 01:29:41 pm »
If you're overtaking, or moving over at a slip road to allow traffic to join, then thats obviously fine. I think everybody can see that. It's the way you put it across you're making it sound like you're preventing others from using the middle lane, just because you're doing 70, and they're doing more.

Yes, I misunderstood what MBE said, and I thought he was implying something different. But like I said, I was flashed recently just for being in the middle lane while overtaking a truck the was coming off a slip road. The only reason I could see why was because I was going fast enough for him/her, and though that I shouldn't be in the middle lane..... actually, maybe my tail lights are broken and the driver was trying to warn me... I should check ;)

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2007, 01:30:34 pm »
I would say the number of cars is the biggest factor  :wave

You and your crazy ideas!

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2007, 01:34:34 pm »
Speeding and following too close to the car in front are the biggest factors contributing to congestion,

Actually the biggest issue is poor lane discipline which is why adding lanes to motorways rarely helps because people still sit in the wrong lane.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/newsroom.aspx?pressreleaseid=150238

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2007, 01:34:43 pm »
I remember readint that from the New Year the Driving Standards Agency are introducing a series of new adverts about moterway driving. Hopefully people will take notice. What really needs to happen is more motorway patrols by the police to look out for dangerous or naive driving. And an introduction that makes it illegal for large vans to overtake on hills,. and stay in the two lanes only,. not 3/4 lanes like over the Thellwall or around Preston creating a rolling roadblock. I would even go further to impose a time restriction between 6am-9am and 4pm-6pm for large HGV's on the motorways.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2007, 01:36:53 pm »
Most French motorways I've driven on have only two lanes and they seem to work better than our three lane ones.
Legacy fan

Offline HIF Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2007, 01:49:59 pm »
The original poster probably meant people driving in the middle lane when the left lane is clear, which is fair enough, but to me, he was complaining about people driving in the middle lane, full stop.
Did you seriously think he meant that no one should ever be allowed to drive in the middle lane? 

Would be interesting to see. Maybe they could introduce angled ramps so that cars wishing to overtake could jump Dukes of Hazard style from the inside to the outside lane without letting their tyres touch the middle lane.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2007, 01:50:54 pm »
Most French motorways I've driven on have only two lanes and they seem to work better than our three lane ones.

Is that not something to do with the size of their country compared to ours and the population in each?

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2007, 01:53:20 pm »
Actually the biggest issue is poor lane discipline which is why adding lanes to motorways rarely helps because people still sit in the wrong lane.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/newsroom.aspx?pressreleaseid=150238

Interesting article, but tailgating is the biggest cause. Middle-lane driving is "one of" the biggest causes, as that article puts it, but tailgating and speeding both cause people to brake much earlier than they would if driving properly, and starts chain reactions along a road, slowing the traffic. That article makes a good point that driving in the wrong lane encourages tailgating.

Oh, that's something that is annoying: tailgating!

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2007, 01:55:04 pm »
Is that not something to do with the size of their country compared to ours and the population in each?

Out in the rural areas or on long routes maybe, but they have some very busy motorways carrying a lot of commuter traffic and they seem to do just fine with two lanes.

They also seem to be better at changing lanes as well, probably better drivers. A lot of UK drivers seem terrified of the manouvre.

Legacy fan