Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4550689 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Re: Ill Douche - Fungal Dick
« Reply #58440 on: October 15, 2019, 06:17:21 pm »
FOX News
Trump’s attempt to hire Trey Gowdy for legal team unravels over lobbying rules
 Mike Emanuel
3 hrs ago

President Trump’s attempt to hire former South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy for his legal team as he battles House Democrats over impeachment has unraveled over concerns about lobbying rules restricting his activities, Fox News has confirmed.

Last week, it was announced that Gowdy would be joining the president’s legal team. But a source familiar with the situation told Fox News there was concern about a statute that says former lawmakers cannot communicate with or appear before their former colleagues for a year after leaving Congress.

Gowdy retired from Congress earlier this year, meaning his one-year restriction would be up in January 2020.

As part of his role with Trump’s legal team, Gowdy was expected to appear on television news programs — and there were concerns about whether that could be considered communicating with former colleagues in violation of the statute. A source said the president’s legal team needed Gowdy on television making the case now, and not in several months.

On Sept. 25, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi initiated an impeachment inquiry against President Trump, following a whistleblower complaint over his dealings with Ukraine. Select Congressional committees returned to the Capitol to continue impeachment proceedings throughout the week as Congress remains on recess.

The US President's former top Russia adviser, Fiona Hill (C) leaves after a deposition for the House Intelligence committee regarding an impeachment inquiry Oct. 14 in Washington, DC. Hill, who was subpoenaed by the House Intelligence, Foreign Affairs and Oversight committees for closed door depositions, is among the handful of current and former Trump administration members being interviewed this week by House panels.
SLIDESHOW BY PHOTO SERVICES

Violations of these post-Congress restrictions, intended to prevent lawmakers from lobbying immediately after leaving Congress, are considered a “felony.”

Just last week, Trump attorney Jay Sekulow had welcomed Gowdy to the team. “I am pleased to announce that former Congressman Trey Gowdy is joining our team as counsel to the president,” he said.

Sekulow added: “I have known Trey for years and worked with him when he served in Congress. His legal skills and his advocacy will serve the president well. Trey’s command of the law is well known and his service on Capitol Hill will be a great asset as a member of our team.”

But Gowdy, who formerly chaired the House Oversight and Reform Committee, is not expected to join the team after all, The New York Times reported.

Gowdy had been a Fox News contributor. A company spokesperson said Gowdy was terminated last week and is no longer serving in that capacity.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trumps-attempt-to-hire-trey-gowdy-for-legal-team-unravels-over-lobbying-rules/ar-AAIKZON?ocid=spartandhp

Only the best illegal people.
Kill the humourless

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58441 on: October 15, 2019, 06:22:59 pm »
So it was a bubble economy under Obama. Now it's the best ever? Low unemploymemt, yet no inflation and a desperate need to cut interest rates...
If everyone has a job then there will be a shortage of workers. In order to hire new people you will need to offer a better salary to attract the skills you need. That should make prices go up. We should have inflation and that should cause interest rates to go up. That's not the case. Instead we have a debt problem. The low interest rates makes it cheap to borrow money. It caused a problem ten years ago and now Trump wants to ’improve’ things by doing exactly what he thought was a mistake when Obama was in the Oval Office. That's how good the economy is.

Itll be the next Presidents problem and fault by then

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58442 on: October 15, 2019, 06:24:49 pm »
FOX News
Giuliani ‘disappointed’ in Bolton amid claim he told aide to alert lawyer to Ukraine probe
 Adam Shaw
2 hrs ago

President Trump’s attorney Rudy Giuliani on Tuesday said he was “disappointed” in former National Security Adviser John Bolton, after reports emerged that he had called Giuliani a “hand grenade” over his Ukraine investigations — and told a top aide to alert a lawyer in the National Security Council.

“I am disappointed in John,” Giuliani said in a statement to Fox News. “I’m not sure he realizes I received all this evidence as part of my representation of the president. It was all part of the evidence, and suppression of evidence, involving Ukrainian collusion and the origin of some of the false information against the president.”

Giuliani’s comments come after it emerged that Fiona Hill, a former senior director to Russian and Eurasian affairs, told lawmakers Monday that a meeting between Ukrainian and U.S. officials left her and Bolton so concerned that he told her to alert John Eisenberg, a lawyer at the NSC.

According to the New York Times, Hill said Bolton told her to notify Eisenberg about the effort by Giuliani, acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and E.U. Ambassador Gordon Sondland to press Ukraine to investigate Democrats.

“I am not part of whatever drug deal Sondland and Mulvaney are cooking up,” Bolton allegedly told Hill, according to the Times.

Hill said Bolton had previously called Giuliani a “hand grenade who’s going to blow everyone up.”

On Sept. 25, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi initiated an impeachment inquiry against President Trump, following a whistleblower complaint over his dealings with Ukraine. Select Congressional committees returned to the Capitol to continue impeachment proceedings throughout the week as Congress remains on recess.

The US President's former top Russia adviser, Fiona Hill (C) leaves after a deposition for the House Intelligence committee regarding an impeachment inquiry Oct. 14 in Washington, DC. Hill, who was subpoenaed by the House Intelligence, Foreign Affairs and Oversight committees for closed door depositions, is among the handful of current and former Trump administration members being interviewed this week by House panels.

The dramatic testimony gave an insight into how divisive Giuliani and others’ efforts to investigate activity, particularly that of former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter in Ukraine, was inside the White House.

House Democrats launched an impeachment inquiry last month after the emergence of a whistleblower complaint that alerted officials to a July 25 phone call between President Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. In that call, of which the transcript was later released by the White House, Trump urges Zelensky to “look into” Biden’s family’s conduct and allegations of Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election.

Democrats allege that Trump withheld U.S. military aid to the country to force the Ukrainians into investigating his political opponent — specifically Biden’s role in the firing of a top prosecutor who had been investigating a Ukrainian gas company, where Hunter Biden sat on the board.

Trump has denied any quid pro quo, and claimed instead that he was only looking to crack down on corruption. He has instead attempted to direct attention to Hunter Biden’s activities in both Ukraine and China.

As the impeachment inquiry has heated up, it has also brought more scrutiny to Giuliani’s role in spearheading a separate investigation into Ukraine. The New York Times reported Friday that prosecutors in Manhattan are investigating whether the former New York City mayor broke lobbying laws in his own dealings with Ukraine. On Monday, Reuters first reported that Giuliani's firm had been paid $500,000 in 2018 by one of the two Ukrainian-American businessmen arrested last week on campaign finance charges.

"Although this has already been publicly discussed in the past, Giuliani Partners was retained by Fraud Guarantee in or about August, 2018," he said in a statement to Fox News. "We were referred by a prominent attorney as our firm is particularly suited for this engagement because of its 17 years of experience in this area of work and our past experience with this type of business."

He said that most of the work was completed in 2018, and payment was received as a retainer paid in two installments, "but there is a continuing obligation to advise with regard to follow-up questions." He also said that the source of the payments was domestic.

Trump gave his backing to Giuliani on Saturday, tweeting that he was a “great guy and wonderful lawyer.”

“So now they are after the legendary 'crime buster' and greatest Mayor in the history of NYC, Rudy Giuliani. He may seem a little rough around the edges sometimes, but he is also a great guy and wonderful lawyer,” he tweeted. “Such a one sided Witch Hunt going on in USA. Deep State. Shameful!”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/giuliani-disappointed-in-bolton-amid-claim-he-told-aide-to-alert-lawyer-to-ukraine-probe/ar-AAIOomc
Kill the humourless

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58443 on: October 15, 2019, 06:30:43 pm »
Sounds like Gowdy is/was being lined up to replace Giuliani on TV. Suggests that Trump or someone close to him guessed what was coming and wanted to get someone in for when Rudy ended up under the bus.

But then when the likes of John Bolton is calling Giuliani a hand grenade you know this are tipping off the vertical.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #58444 on: October 15, 2019, 06:49:18 pm »
So it was a bubble economy under Obama. Now it's the best ever? Low unemploymemt, yet no inflation and a desperate need to cut interest rates...
If everyone has a job then there will be a shortage of workers. In order to hire new people you will need to offer a better salary to attract the skills you need. That should make prices go up. We should have inflation and that should cause interest rates to go up. That's not the case. Instead we have a debt problem. The low interest rates makes it cheap to borrow money. It caused a problem ten years ago and now Trump wants to ’improve’ things by doing exactly what he thought was a mistake when Obama was in the Oval Office. That's how good the economy is.

Record numbers of baby boomers retiring. The unemployment rate is getting juiced...like the economy on a cheap money sugar high.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58445 on: October 15, 2019, 08:30:26 pm »
Trump Ultra Matt Gaetz tried to engage in another round of witness intimidation today.  Tried to force his way into the Fiona Hill testimony hearing, even though he's not on any of the committees involved in the impeachment hearing.  Tried to claim he was allowed to sit in because there are no set rules when it comes to impeachment.  Got thrown out, then claimed Schiff was withholding evidence and the Democrats were attempting a coup.

I think this guy needs to take a cold shower with Nunes.  Add him to the list of people I want to see taken down over all of this.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58446 on: October 15, 2019, 10:38:53 pm »
Washington Examiner
Presidential election model that got it wrong once in 40 years predicts Trump 2020 win
 Tim Pearce
2 hrs ago

A presidential election model that incorrectly predicted just one election outcome since 1980 shows President Trump winning reelection in 2020.

Moody’s Analytics released the results of its 2020 prediction model on Tuesday showing Trump winning with 332 electoral votes, an increase over his 2016 win of 306, if voter turnout remains relatively close to the historical average.

The Moody's Analytics model takes into account political dynamics but weighs heavily on economic factors. If the economy remains strong and voter turnout meets the historical average or is low, the model shows Trump winning handily. In the event that voter turnout hits its historical high, the Democratic candidate is expected to win a close race with 279 electoral votes, just over the 270 vote threshold.

Moody's Analytics chief economist Mark Zandi, public finance research director Dan White, and assistant director Bernard Yaros coauthored the study.

"If the economy a year from now is the same as it is today, or roughly so, then the power of incumbency is strong and Trump's election odds are very good, particularly if Democrats aren't enthusiastic and don't get out to vote," the authors said. "It's about turnout."

The model accurately predicted every presidential election since 1980 except for the most recent one in 2016. Afterward, the authors retooled the single model and broke it into three that, averaged together, would have accurately predicted every election. The model is broken up into "the pocketbook model," "the stock market model," and "the unemployment model."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/presidential-election-model-that-got-it-wrong-once-in-40-years-predicts-trump-2020-win/ar-AAIP6Md

:shite:
Kill the humourless

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58447 on: October 15, 2019, 10:44:19 pm »
You can't predict an election outcome 12 months in advance.  Fuck you can't even predict the weather effectively more than 10 days in advance.

There's no telling what the impeachment might bring out; public opinion on the matter is still in flux but gradually solidifying.  The arse could fall out of the economy and strand Trump high and dry - especially the way he's dicking around with it.  The situation with Syria and Turkey is hitting the government's credibility hard.

Horseshit prediction.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58448 on: October 15, 2019, 10:50:51 pm »
Record numbers of baby boomers retiring. The unemployment rate is getting juiced...like the economy on a cheap money sugar high.

Something like that. I expect Trump to do everything he can to prop up the economy until election day.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58449 on: October 15, 2019, 11:03:14 pm »
Something like that. I expect Trump to do everything he can to prop up the economy until election day.

Except he's the one who's been wrecking it.

Bottom line is Trump's barely holding on as it is.  If anything else goes wrong he's in big trouble - and something else will go wrong because it's fucking Trump.  It's been going wrong for him since his inauguration.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58450 on: October 15, 2019, 11:14:45 pm »
Except he's the one who's been wrecking it.

Bottom line is Trump's barely holding on as it is.  If anything else goes wrong he's in big trouble - and something else will go wrong because it's fucking Trump.  It's been going wrong for him since his inauguration.

In fairness, I think the problems with the economy go back to at least 08/09. Trump has basically kept doing the same Obama did. But in Trump's view, what was wrong then is now a great approach. Because he is doing it.

Agree something is bound to go wrong. Trump is annoying everyone. Eventually it comes back to haunt him. The only problem is he is good at dictating the agenda. k

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58451 on: October 15, 2019, 11:19:15 pm »

Is that why he is sending thousands of troops to Saudi Arabia? How is that friggin consistent?

Troop deployment in the Middle East has increased by 14000 since May alone.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58452 on: October 16, 2019, 12:12:40 am »
In fairness, I think the problems with the economy go back to at least 08/09. Trump has basically kept doing the same Obama did. But in Trump's view, what was wrong then is now a great approach. Because he is doing it.

Agree something is bound to go wrong. Trump is annoying everyone. Eventually it comes back to haunt him. The only problem is he is good at dictating the agenda. k

Wait, Trumps carried on doing what Obama did? I must have missed the bit where Obama gave away a $3trn tax cut to the richest 80%, tweeted angrily at the federal reserve to cut interest rates, and got into a multi front trade war by abusing presidential power to unilaterally slap on tariffs under the guise of national security, before bailing out the farmers to the tune of billions because their markets are teetering on collapse because of said needless trade war.

Trump has put a pillow over the face of the economy Obama painstakingly nursed back to health. They're absolutely nothing alike.

Trump wont survive a year without something else going wrong because most of what has gone wrong has been self inflicted.  He can't help himself. He dicks around with the economy because executive power gives him an old man boner.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #58453 on: October 16, 2019, 02:31:43 am »
It would be more amusing if he wasn't a key advisor to Trump

Ron Vara has strong opinions. He thinks you’ve “got to be nuts to eat Chinese food.” He doles out little scraps of wisdom, like “Don’t play checkers in a chess world.” Vara is a military veteran and Harvard-trained economist who made seven figures in the stock market by investing in companies that do well during international crises. His contrarian savvy earned him an ominous-sounding nickname: Dark Prince of Disaster.

Vara makes frequent cameos in the books of Peter Navarro, a White House adviser who is often referred to as Trump’s “China muse.” Before joining the White House, Navarro was a professor of economics and public policy at the University of California at Irvine and the author of books like Death by China: Confronting the Dragon — A Global Call to Action and The Coming China Wars: Where They Will Be Fought and How They Can Be Won (FT Press). He’s since become one of Trump’s most dogged defenders, telling CNN recently that “I am never disappointed in my president.”

[...]

China scholars and fellow economists tend to be less enthused. Navarro doesn’t have a background in Chinese studies, doesn’t speak the language, and reportedly made his first trip to the country only last year. Justin Wolfers, a professor of public policy and economics at the University of Michigan, once wrote that Navarro “stands so far outside the mainstream that he endorses few of the key tenets of the profession.”

[...]

So who is Ron Vara? He didn’t seem to exist except in the work of Peter Navarro. The most information Morris-Suzuki could find came from Navarro’s 2001 book, If It’s Raining in Brazil, Buy Starbucks (McGraw-Hill). In that book, which lays out Navarro’s plan for how to profit by paying attention to bad news, the reader learns that Vara was a “struggling doctoral student in economics” at Harvard in the mid-1980s, slogging away on a thesis about utilities regulation.

Morris-Suzuki, now in full detective mode, sent emails to some colleagues at Harvard, but no one could turn up any record of Vara.

While Ron Vara appears not to have attended Harvard in the 1980s, Navarro did. He was a doctoral student in economics who published research on, as it happens, utilities regulation. Not all of Vara’s biography lines up with Navarro’s (Ron Vara, for example, was a military reservist during the first Gulf War, back when Navarro was a 40-something economics professor), but there was enough overlap to arouse suspicion.

And there was another tip-off: “Ron Vara” is an anagram of “Navarro.”

[...]

You’re not going to find Ron Vara,” he said. He described Vara as one of a “number of Easter eggs” in the book meant to lighten the tone. “We do try to have a little bit of fun,” he said. “If anybody wants to not enjoy that, they’re welcome to.”

Those who know Navarro well, Autry says, were fully aware that Ron Vara was a phony source who often popped up in his books. He said Vara was Navarro’s “alter ego,” an “everyman character” who dispenses cutesy business aphorisms as well as dire warnings about Chinese food.

Another of Navarro’s co-authors, however, was unaware of Ron Vara’s fictional status. Vara is quoted in Seeds of Destruction: Why the Path to Economic Ruin Runs Through Washington, and How to Reclaim American Prosperity (FT Press, 2010), written by Navarro and Glenn Hubbard, a professor of finance and economics at Columbia University and dean emeritus of the business school. Asked via email whether he knew that Navarro had inserted a fictional character, and whether doing so was OK with him, Hubbard replied “No and no.”

[...]

I emailed the White House press office and received a phone call from Navarro. While he declined to speak on the record, he did send a statement in which he called Ron Vara a “whimsical device and pen name I’ve used throughout the years for opinions and purely entertainment value, not as a source of fact.”

He compared the Ron Vara character to “Alfred Hitchcock appearing briefly in cameo in his movies" and wrote that it's "refreshing that somebody finally figured out an inside joke that has been hiding in plain sight for years."

The inside joke doesn't strike Morris-Suzuki as particularly funny. Maybe, she said, Vara began as a whimsical device — though even that’s questionable in books that purport to be nonfiction. But “once he started to be used as a source of fear and loathing about China, and of messages which readers are likely to believe about the dangers of various Chinese products, the joke wore very thin,” she said. She was left  “wondering whether there might be other invented sources in Navarro's work.”

https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/20191015-navarro?key=mi0Bff1vaLHL09_no2Emg3BNpV0dUW8oz4uPCYaaJHO3I3RVhzs_l4nI4k1KBr7xdzJFUjVCUmhtT2ZXTk9odmZORFdDaEh2VzJhV1ZVcjVGMUI2TEI4cXVIOAZ

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #58454 on: October 16, 2019, 09:04:17 am »
You can't predict an election outcome 12 months in advance.  Fuck you can't even predict the weather effectively more than 10 days in advance.

There's no telling what the impeachment might bring out; public opinion on the matter is still in flux but gradually solidifying.  The arse could fall out of the economy and strand Trump high and dry - especially the way he's dicking around with it.  The situation with Syria and Turkey is hitting the government's credibility hard.

Horseshit prediction.

Particularly as the opponent is still unknown ffs
Believer

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58455 on: October 16, 2019, 12:04:37 pm »
See he met with the parents of Harry Dunn in the Whitehouse and tried to ambush them into meeting with Anne Sacoolas next door, with photographers in tow, most probably for PR purposes.

How could someone have diplomatic immunity from killing someone? Seems bizarre

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58456 on: October 16, 2019, 12:07:27 pm »
See he met with the parents of Harry Dunn in the Whitehouse and tried to ambush them into meeting with Anne Sacoolas next door, with photographers in tow, most probably for PR purposes.

Yup, seems he wanted to use them as a PR stunt. Doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58457 on: October 16, 2019, 12:34:24 pm »

Horseshit prediction.

Agre. Plus....Moody's rated bonds in 2008...and had to pay a 1 billion penalty after the crash because their analysis was so corrupt. Who cares what kind of predictions they make when they are so bad at their core job?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58458 on: October 16, 2019, 12:49:53 pm »

Yup, seems he wanted to use them as a PR stunt. Doesn’t surprise me one bit.

He'll be mining their quotes to the media to find anything positive they said about him so he can tweet it.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #58459 on: October 16, 2019, 02:04:24 pm »
So Erdogan has basically told Pence to fuck off. Remember how long it took Obama to rebuild goodwill? It's going to take ten times that to rebuild soft power and diplomacy
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/turkey-syria-offensive-kurds-to-continue-as-erdogan-dismisses-us-pressure-from-donald-trump-admin/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 02:06:28 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58460 on: October 16, 2019, 02:04:46 pm »
Wait, Trumps carried on doing what Obama did? I must have missed the bit where Obama gave away a $3trn tax cut to the richest 80%, tweeted angrily at the federal reserve to cut interest rates, and got into a multi front trade war by abusing presidential power to unilaterally slap on tariffs under the guise of national security, before bailing out the farmers to the tune of billions because their markets are teetering on collapse because of said needless trade war.

Trump has put a pillow over the face of the economy Obama painstakingly nursed back to health. They're absolutely nothing alike.

Trump wont survive a year without something else going wrong because most of what has gone wrong has been self inflicted.  He can't help himself. He dicks around with the economy because executive power gives him an old man boner.

Obama was perhaps forced to do the rescue mission. It's what started the big wealth transfer. IMO it's a huge failure and it happened on Obama's watch. I believe Trump was right when he said it was a bubble economy. My problem with Trump is that he's said that and then he's done the exact same thing and wants even more of it. What was wrong before is what he claims is right now. It's a lie when he says it's the greatest economy ever. He's made the problem worse during his time in office.

The tariffs and tax cuts however, both are all on Trump.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58461 on: October 16, 2019, 02:38:03 pm »
Obama was perhaps forced to do the rescue mission. It's what started the big wealth transfer. IMO it's a huge failure and it happened on Obama's watch. I believe Trump was right when he said it was a bubble economy. My problem with Trump is that he's said that and then he's done the exact same thing and wants even more of it. What was wrong before is what he claims is right now. It's a lie when he says it's the greatest economy ever. He's made the problem worse during his time in office.

The tariffs and tax cuts however, both are all on Trump.

First off, to my knowledge the blow out didn't start on Obama's watch - it started under GWB, because modern Republicans are routinely fiscally irresponsible and generally incompetent. 

Second,  Trump has been systematically scrapping the Obama era regulations put in place to prevent a repeat of the crash and abandoning modern, economy boosting industries like renewable energy.

If you want to believe Trump's bubble economy assertion that is your choice; but if you kick the ladder out from under any economy you're going to collapse it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58462 on: October 16, 2019, 02:50:46 pm »
First off, to my knowledge the blow out didn't start on Obama's watch - it started under GWB, because modern Republicans are routinely fiscally irresponsible and generally incompetent. 

Second,  Trump has been systematically scrapping the Obama era regulations put in place to prevent a repeat of the crash and abandoning modern, economy boosting industries like renewable energy.

If you want to believe Trump's bubble economy assertion that is your choice; but if you kick the ladder out from under any economy you're going to collapse it.

They are fiscally terrible since Nixon. It is brokerage politics at its peak. They give unpopular social concessions to buy their evangelical/rural base and then buy enough other votes in the suburbs with tax breaks. Reagan increased the deficit with supply side economics. And that has been continued for 40 years.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58463 on: October 16, 2019, 08:00:06 pm »
Obama was perhaps forced to do the rescue mission. It's what started the big wealth transfer. IMO it's a huge failure and it happened on Obama's watch.

Fake news.

Bill Clinton left a solid economy with no deficit.

Bush Jr. and his cronies were on watch when the financial debacle loomed causing Obama to engineer the bailout, which was paid back with interest.

Fungus' huge tax cut (the only mechanism in the Republican toolbox) for the rich has caused the monster deficit the US currently 'enjoys'.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58464 on: October 16, 2019, 08:09:58 pm »
ProPublica
Newly released Trump tax documents show major inconsistencies
 Heather Vogell
5 hrs ago

Documents obtained by ProPublica show stark differences in how Donald Trump’s businesses reported some expenses, profits and occupancy figures for two Manhattan buildings, giving a lender different figures than they provided to New York City tax authorities. The discrepancies made the buildings appear more profitable to the lender — and less profitable to the officials who set the buildings’ property tax.

For instance, Trump told the lender that he took in twice as much rent from one building as he reported to tax authorities during the same year, 2017. He also gave conflicting occupancy figures for one of his signature skyscrapers, located at 40 Wall Street.

Lenders like to see a rising occupancy level as a sign of what they call “leasing momentum.” Sure enough, the company told a lender that 40 Wall Street had been 58.9% leased on Dec. 31, 2012, and then rose to 95% a few years later. The company told tax officials the building was 81% rented as of Jan. 5, 2013.

A dozen real estate professionals told ProPublica they saw no clear explanation for multiple inconsistencies in the documents. The discrepancies are “versions of fraud,” said Nancy Wallace, a professor of finance and real estate at the Haas School of Business at the University of California-Berkeley. “This kind of stuff is not OK.”

New York City’s property tax forms state that the person signing them “affirms the truth of the statements made” and that “false filings are subject to all applicable civil and criminal penalties.”

The punishments for lying to tax officials, or to lenders, can be significant, ranging from fines to criminal fraud charges. Two former Trump associates, Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort, are serving prison time for offenses that include falsifying tax and bank records, some of them related to real estate.

“Certainly, if I were sitting in a prosecutor’s office, I would want to ask a lot more questions,” said Anne Milgram, a former attorney general for New Jersey who is now a professor at New York University School of Law.

Trump has previously been accused of manipulating numbers on his tax and loan documents, including by his former lawyer, Cohen. But Trump’s business is notoriously opaque, with records rarely surfacing, and up till now there’s been little documentary evidence supporting those claims.

That’s one reason that multiple governmental entities, including two congressional committees and the office of the Manhattan district attorney, have subpoenaed Donald Trump’s tax returns. Trump has resisted, taking his battles to federal courts in Washington and New York. And so the question of whether different parts of the government can see the president’s financial information is now playing out in two appeals courts and seems destined to make it to the U.S. Supreme Court. Add to that a Washington Post account of an IRS whistleblower claiming political interference in the handling of the president’s audit, and the result is what amounts to frenetic interest in one person’s tax returns.

ProPublica obtained the property tax documents using New York’s Freedom of Information Law. The documents were public because Trump appealed his property tax bill for the buildings every year for nine years in a row, the extent of the available records. We compared the tax records with loan records that became public when Trump’s lender, Ladder Capital, sold the debt on his properties as part of mortgage-backed securities.

ProPublica reviewed records for four properties: 40 Wall Street, the Trump International Hotel and Tower, 1290 Avenue of the Americas and Trump Tower. Discrepancies involving two of them — 40 Wall Street and the Trump International Hotel and Tower — stood out.

There can be legitimate reasons for numbers to diverge between tax and loan documents, the experts noted, but some of the gaps seemed to have no reasonable justification. “It really feels like there’s two sets of books — it feels like a set of books for the tax guy and a set for the lender,” said Kevin Riordan, a financing expert and real estate professor at Montclair State University who reviewed the records. “It’s hard to argue numbers. That’s black and white.”

The Trump Organization did not respond on the record to detailed questions provided by ProPublica. Robert Pollack, a lawyer whose firm, Marcus & Pollack, handles Trump’s property tax appeal filings with the city, said he was not authorized to discuss the documents. A spokeswoman for Mazars USA, the accounting firm that signed off on the two properties’ expense and income statements, said the firm does not comment on its work for clients. Executives with Trump’s lender, Ladder Capital, declined to be quoted for the story.

In response to ProPublica’s questions about the disparities, Laura Feyer, deputy press secretary for New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, said of the Trump International Hotel and Tower, “The city is looking into this property, and if there has been any underreporting, we will take appropriate action.”

Taxes have long been a third rail for Trump. Long before he famously declined to make his personal returns public, a New York Times investigation concluded, Trump participated in tax schemes that involved “outright fraud,” and that he had formulated “a strategy to undervalue his parents’ real estate holdings by hundreds of millions of dollars on tax returns.” Trump’s former partners in Panama claimed in a lawsuit, which is ongoing, that Trump’s hotel management company failed to pay taxes on millions in fees it received. Spokespeople for Trump and his company have denied any tax improprieties in the past.

In February, Cohen told Congress that Trump had adjusted figures up or down, as necessary, to obtain loans and avoid taxes. “It was my experience that Mr. Trump inflated his total assets when it served his purposes,” Cohen testified, “and deflated his assets to reduce his real estate taxes.”

The two Trump buildings with the most notable discrepancies shared a financial trait: Both were refinanced in 2015 and 2016 while Trump was campaigning for president. The loan for 40 Wall Street — $160 million — was then the Trump Organization’s biggest debt.

The fortunes of 40 Wall Street have risen and fallen repeatedly since it was constructed in 1930. Once briefly in the running to become the world’s tallest skyscraper (before being eclipsed by the Chrysler Building and then others), the 71-story landmark had an illustrious history before falling into disrepair as it changed hands multiple times.

Trump says in his book “Never Give Up” that he took over 40 Wall Street for $1 million during a down market in 1995. Others have reported the price as $10 million. Trump gave the property his signature treatment, decking out the lobby in Italian marble and bronze and christening it “The Trump Building.” Tenants such as American Express moved in.

But the rent rolls suffered when big-name tenants fled to Midtown in the years after the Sept. 11 attacks. Less blue-chip operations replaced them. In recent years, there were more setbacks. About two years ago, for example, high-end food purveyor Dean & Deluca canceled plans to locate an 18,500-square-foot emporium on the higher-priced first floor. The space remains empty.

The building at 40 Wall was underperforming, charging below-market rents, according to credit-rating agency Moody’s. Its profits were lagging.

Trump’s company, which has sometimes struggled to obtain credit because of his history of bankruptcies and defaults, turned for relief to a financial institution where Donald Trump had a connection: Ladder Capital, which employs Jack Weisselberg, the son of the Trump Organization’s longtime CFO, Allen Weisselberg. Ladder is a publicly traded commercial real estate investment trust that reports more than $6 billion in assets. In 2015, and still today, Jack Weisselberg was an executive director whose job was to make loans.

Trump and Jack Weisselberg had history together. Jack was at UBS, in its loan origination department, in 2006, when the Swiss bank loaned Trump $7 million for his piece of the Trump International Hotel and Tower. Allen Weisselberg had bought a condo from Trump in one of his buildings for a below-market price of $152,500 in 2000. He deeded it to Jack three years later for about $148,000. Jack sold the unit for more than three times as much in 2006. (Jack Weisselberg declined to comment on Ladder’s loans or his relationship with the Trump Organization.)

Even with a sympathetic lender, the struggles at 40 Wall Street would normally raise questions. Trump’s representatives needed to demonstrate signs of the building’s financial health if they wanted a new loan with a lower interest rate.

They had a compelling piece of data, it seemed. Trump’s team told Ladder that occupancy was rebounding after registering a lackluster 58.9% on Dec. 31, 2012. Since then, Trump representatives reported, the building had signed new tenants. Income from them hadn’t fully been realized yet, largely because of free-rent deals, they said. But after 2015, they predicted, revenues would surge.

“That’s a selling point for people in the business,” said Riordan, who was previously the executive director of the Rutgers Center for Real Estate. Borrowers “want to show tremendous leasing momentum.” The steepness of such a rise in occupancy at the Trump building was unusual, Riordan and other experts said.

Documents submitted to city property tax officials show no such run-up. Trump representatives reported to the tax authorities that the building was already 81% leased in 2012.

“What is bizarre is that you have these tax filings that are totally different,” Riordan said. A gap of at least 10 percentage points between the two occupancy reports persisted for the next two years, before the figures in the tax and loan reports synced in January 2016.

The portrayal of a rapid rise in occupancy, and the explanation that income would soon follow, were critical for the refinancing. Indeed, Ladder’s underwriters were predicting that 40 Wall Street’s profits would more than double after 2015. Having reviewed Trump’s financial statements and rent roll, they estimated the building would clear $22.6 million a year in net operating income.

Ladder needed credit ratings agencies like Moody’s and Fitch to endorse its income expectations and give the loan a favorable rating, which would in turn make it easier for the next step of the plan: to package the loan as part of a bond, a so-called commercial mortgage-backed security, and sell it to investors. Without the expected rise in income, Riordan said, the loan size or terms would likely have needed to be renegotiated to satisfy the ratings agencies and investors, which would mean less favorable terms for Trump and Ladder. “There was a story crafted here,” Riordan said. “It’s contradicted by what we see in the tax filings.”

Wallace, the University of California professor, added: “Especially in underwriting loans, you are supposed to truthfully report.” Both the lender and the borrower are required to supply accurate information, she said.

Moody’s and Fitch analysts found the underwriter’s projections slightly too rosy, but Fitch conferred an investment-grade rating on the loan, allowing it to proceed as planned. Trump ultimately received a 10-year loan with a lower interest rate than the building previously had as well as terms that would allow him to defer paying off much of the principal until the end of the loan.

Once granted, the loan to 40 Wall Street ran into trouble: The year after it went through, the loan servicer put it on a “watch list” because of concerns that the building wasn’t making sufficient profit to pay the debt service with enough of a margin. It stayed on the list for three months. (Trump’s company has continued making payments.)

As of 2018, the most recent year available, the building had never met the underwriters’ profit expectations, trailing by more than 8%, according to data from commercial real estate research service Trepp. Experts say that, given the amount of research underwriters do, a property typically meets their expectations fairly quickly.

The 40 Wall Street documents contain discrepancies related to costs as well as to occupancy. Generally, there are “more opportunities to play games on the expense side,” said Ron Shapiro, an assistant professor at Rutgers Business School and a former bank senior vice president, “particularly because there are many more kinds of expenses.”

Comparing specific expense items in both sets of records is challenging, because accountants may group categories differently in reports to tax and loan officials. But some differences on 40 Wall Street documents elicit head-scratching.

For example, insurance costs in 2017 were listed as $744,521 in tax documents and $457,414 in loan records.

Then there was the underlying lease. Trump technically doesn’t own 40 Wall Street. He pays the wealthy German family that owns the property for the right to rent the building to tenants. In 2015, both Trump’s report to tax authorities and a key loan disclosure document asserted that Trump’s company paid $1.65 million for these rights that year. But a line-by-line income and expense statement, which Trepp gathered from what the company reported to the loan servicer, reported the company paid about $1.24 million that year.

“I don’t know why that would be off,” said Jason Hoffman, who is chair of the real estate committee for a professional association of certified public accountants in New York state. Like other experts, he said there are legitimate reasons why tax and loan filings might not line up perfectly. But Hoffman said the firm where he works makes sure the numbers match when it prepares both tax and loan documents for a client — or that it can explain why if they don’t.

Financial information for the Trump International Hotel and Tower raises similar questions. Trump owns only a small portion of the building, which is located on Columbus Circle: two commercial spaces, which he rents out to a restaurant and a parking garage. Trump’s company told New York City tax officials it made about $822,000 renting space to commercial tenants there in 2017, records show. The company told loan officials it took in $1.67 million that year — more than twice as much. In eight years of data ProPublica examined for the Columbus Circle property, Trump’s company reported gross income to tax authorities that was typically only about 81% of what it reported to the lender.

Trump appeared to omit from tax documents income his company received from leasing space on the roof for television antennas, a ProPublica review found. The line on tax appeal forms for income from such communications equipment is blank on nine years of tax filings, even as loan documents listed the antennas as major sources of income.

Trump has an easement to lease the roof space; he doesn’t own it. But three tax experts, including Melanie Brock, an appraiser and paralegal who has worked on hundreds of New York City tax cases, told ProPublica that the income should still be reported on the tax appeals forms.

It’s hard to guess what might explain every inconsistency, said David Wilkes, a New York City tax lawyer who is chair of the National Association of Property Tax Attorneys. But, he added, “My gut reaction is it seems like there’s something amiss there.”

Tax records for Trump personally and for his business continue to be subjects of contention in multiple investigations. The Justice Department has intervened in the investigation by the Manhattan district attorney, whose office has sought Trump’s personal tax returns. Congressional lawmakers investigating his business dealings have sought documents from his longtime accountant, Donald Bender, a partner at Mazars. Trump is fighting the subpoenas in court. (Bender did not respond to requests for comment.)

Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., chairman of the House Oversight Committee, has said the committee is seeking to determine if Cohen’s testimony about Trump inflating and deflating his assets was accurate. Cummings asked for Mazars’ records related to Trump entities, as well as communications between Bender and Trump or Trump employees since 2009.

Such communications, the subpoena stated, should include any related to potential concerns that information Trump or his representatives provided his accountants was “incomplete, inaccurate, or otherwise unsatisfactory.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/newly-released-trump-tax-documents-show-major-inconsistencies/ar-AAIRhGi

Shyster, con man, liar, crook.

Walk proud Trumpsters!
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58465 on: October 16, 2019, 08:16:50 pm »
NBC News
Cuomo signs law aimed at weakening Trump's pardon power, closes 'double jeopardy' loophole
 Allan Smith and Dareh Gregorian
1 hr ago

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a measure Wednesday that would allow the state to pursue charges against people who have received a presidential pardon — a law seen as a direct shot at President Donald Trump.

The president, whose business and campaign are both headquartered in New York, also is facing numerous federal, state and congressional investigations related to his administration, campaign and business dealings.

"No one is above the law and New York will not turn a blind eye to criminality, no matter who seeks to protect them," Cuomo said in a statement. "The closure of this egregious loophole gives prosecutors the ability to stand up against any abuse of power, and helps ensure that no politically motivated, self-serving action is sanctioned under law."

The change takes effect immediately.

"With the President all but pledging to corruptly abuse his pardon power to allow friends and associates off the hook, it is crucial that we have closed the Double Jeopardy loophole and preserved the rule of law in New York," Democratic state Sen. Todd Kaminsky, who sponsored the legislation, said in a statement.

The New York Assembly and Senate passed the bill to end the so-called "double jeopardy loophole" in May. The newly signed law creates a narrow exception in the state's double jeopardy law, which prohibits the prosecution of a person who's been tried for the same crime by the federal government.

Democratic state Assemblyman Joseph Lentol, another sponsor, said the legislation "takes the incentive out of any scheme to thwart prosecution."

The new exception allows state prosecutors to pursue investigations into any pardoned individual who served in a president's administration, worked directly or indirectly to advance a presidential campaign or transition, or worked at a nonprofit or business controlled by a president, and whose alleged criminal activity took place in New York. The law also allows for investigations to be opened or continued into anyone who was pardoned for the president's benefit.

The measure was proposed after reports that Trump was weighing a pardon for his former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, who's serving a 7½-year prison term on federal bank fraud, tax evasion and conspiracy charges stemming from former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

In addition to the federal conviction, Manafort was indicted on state mortgage fraud charges in March by the Manhattan district attorney's office. That office has also launched a criminal investigation into the Trump Organization over two hush money payments during the 2016 campaign to women who claim they had affairs with Trump.

Mueller's 400-plus-page report scrutinized Trump's comments on possibly pardoning Manafort, as well as ex-longtime attorney Michael Cohen, who was involved in the hush payments, and former national security adviser Michael Flynn.

While presidents can pardon federal crimes, they cannot pardon state offenses.

The New York measure was backed by state Attorney General Letitia James, who began investigating the finances of the president and the Trump Organization earlier this year. That probe came after Cohen told Congress that Trump had inflated the worth of his assets in financial statements to secure bank loans.

James has said the law was necessary because double jeopardy "exists to prevent someone from being charged twice for the same crime, not to allow them to evade justice altogether."

"We have a responsibility to ensure that individuals who commit crimes under New York state law are held accountable for those crimes," James said in a statement Tuesday.

"This critical new law closes a gaping loophole that could have allowed any president to abuse the presidential pardon power by unfairly granting a pardon to a family member or close associate and possibly allow that individual to evade justice altogether. No one is above the law, and this commonsense measure will provide a reasonable and necessary check on presidential power today and for all presidents to come."

Trump has dismissed her efforts as "presidential harassment." The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cuomo-signs-law-aimed-at-weakening-trumps-pardon-power-closes-double-jeopardy-loophole/ar-AAISjwd

My man Andy Cuomo!

Take the bastard and his entire corrupt family to the cleaners once he's out of office.
Kill the humourless

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58466 on: October 16, 2019, 08:46:39 pm »
Trump and his family are going to jail at some point.  The only question is which crimes and at what level they go down for.

I see he's still mercilessly pursuing the identity of the whistleblower, even though the whole Ukraine/Impeachment situation has spiralled far beyond that initial report.  Think it's less about attacking their credibility now and just a mission of personal vengeance.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58467 on: October 16, 2019, 08:47:52 pm »
Turkey-Syria offensive: Not our problem, says Donald Trump

President Donald Trump has said it is "not our problem" if Turkey enters Syria, calling the former US allies the Kurds "no angels".

The US is facing intense criticism for withdrawing its forces from Syria, which some say gave Turkey the green light to launch a cross-border offensive against Kurdish-led forces.

Mr Trump told reporters at the White House the US is "not a policing agent".

"It is time for us to go home," he said.

Mr Trump said he saw the situation on the Turkey-Syria border as "strategically brilliant" for the US.

"Our soldiers are out of there. Our soldiers are totally safe. They've got to work it out. Maybe they can do it without fighting," he said.

"We're watching and we're negotiating and we're trying to get Turkey to do the right thing, because we'd like to stop wars regardless."

The president also said that the Kurds are "not angels".

"They fought with us. We made a lot of money for them to fight with us, and that's okay," he said. "They did well when they fought with us. They didn't do so well when they didn't fight with us."

Mr Trump added that the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) - a rebel group that fights for Kurdish autonomy in Turkey - "is probably worse at terror and more of a terrorist threat in many ways than" Islamic State.

Ankara sees the YPG militia as an extension of the PKK.

The US has designated the PKK as a foreign terrorist organisation and Specially Designated Global Terrorist Entity. The US has previously acknowledged links between the PKK and YPG, but it has rejected Turkey's assertion that the YPG is an extension of the PKK.

The YPG dominates an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias called the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which has driven the Islamic State (IS) group out of a quarter of Syria over the past four years with the help of air strikes by a US-led multinational coalition.

On Sunday, after US troops began withdrawing from the region and Turkish-led forces made gains, the Kurds agreed a deal with the Syrian government for the Syrian army to be deployed on the border to help repel the Turkish assault.

Vice President Mike Pence and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo are heading to Turkish capital, Ankara, to meet Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The US announced sanctions against Turkey on Monday.

On Wednesday, a spokesman for Turkey's President Erdogan said the country's foreign ministry was preparing retaliatory sanctions against the US.

Ankara has vowed to continue its offensive, and has refused to negotiate with Kurdish fighters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50075703

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58468 on: October 16, 2019, 09:14:07 pm »
POLITICO
House condemns Trump’s Syria withdrawal
 By Connor O’Brien
1 hr ago

In a stinging bipartisan rebuke, the House on Wednesday condemned President Donald Trump's withdrawal of U.S. troops from northern Syria.

Voting 354 to 60, lawmakers approved a non-binding resolution opposing the move, which set the stage for Turkey's military assault against Kurdish forces in Syria that the U.S. partnered with to beat back Islamic State terrorists.

The withdrawal last week drew scorn from both parties, who contend the U.S. is abandoning its Kurdish allies, undermining the fight against ISIS and spurring a humanitarian catastrophe.

"What kind of message does this send to the world? How can America be trusted to keep its word when we betray one of our close partners?" House Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) asked on the House floor. "Congress must speak out against this disgrace."

The top Republican on the Foreign Affairs Committee, Rep. Michael McCaul of Texas, said he understood Trump's "legitimate concerns" about committing troops overseas, but said the president's Syria pullout had damaged U.S. interests in the region.

"I, too, want to wind down our overseas conflicts and bring our troops home," McCaul said. "But leaving [northeast] Syria now does not resolve the problem that brought us there in the first place. It only creates more."

"We need a residual force in place," he added. "The consequences of this decision have already unfolded before our very eyes."

The resolution is non-binding and doesn't condemn Trump by name. It calls on Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to halt Turkey's military campaign in Syria and urges humanitarian support to displaced Syrian Kurds and calls on the U.S. to ensure Turkey "acts with restraint and respects existing agreements related to Syria."

The resolution also urges the Trump administration to outline "a clear and specific plan for the enduring defeat of ISIS."

Amid bipartisan pressure, the president announced sanctions against Turkey on Monday and is slated to meet with congressional leaders later Wednesday. Trump has also dispatched Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to meet with Erdoğan to help broker a ceasefire.

Still, Trump staunchly defended his decision to withdraw troops and slammed the Kurds as "not angels" in remarks Wednesday in the Oval Office.

"The Kurds know how to fight, and as I said, they're not angels,” Trump told reporters.

Both the House and Senate are also weighing sanctions of their own against Turkey amid chaos in the region.

Engel and McCaul are offering legislation that would sanction senior Turkish officials involved in the invasion, bar weapons transfers to Turkish forces in Syria and require Trump to impose sanctions on Turkey for its acquisition of a Russian missile system.

Additionally, House Republicans, led by Conference Chair Liz Cheney of Wyoming, have introduced legislation that would bar U.S. arms sales to Turkey as well as impose sanctions against Erdoğan and other key Turkish leaders.

Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) and Trump ally Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) also plan to roll out a sanctions package on Thursday.

Syrian Kurdish militias have now aligned with the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to fend off the Turkish invasion.

The military offensive is also the latest in an increasingly fraught U.S. partnership with Turkey, which is a NATO ally.

The U.S. removed Turkey from its F-35 fighter program after Ankara accepted delivery of the Russian-made S-400 missile system after both lawmakers and administration officials had warned against the acquisition.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-condemns-trumps-syria-withdrawal/ar-AAISMud?ocid=spartanntp
Kill the humourless

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #58469 on: October 16, 2019, 10:25:47 pm »
Amazingly this letter from Trump to Erdogan is real
https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1184570682757337089

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #58470 on: October 16, 2019, 10:33:31 pm »
Pelosi says “I pray for the president all the time” but says now “I think we have to pray for his health. Because this was a very serious meltdown on the part of the president."

He apparently lost it completely when she told him that 350 members of Congress voted against his Syria policy.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58471 on: October 16, 2019, 10:38:55 pm »

Agree the financial problems began before Obama was President. There's no doubt about that. Iit was Clinton who removed regulations which some people believe is what caused the crisis in 08/09. Bush had the dotcom crash and what followed helped create the crash in 08/09.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass–Steagall_legislation

The rescue operation was perhaps necessary, but they kept interest rates low for years. It was supposed to ne temporary. The problem is it was cheap borrowing that caused the crisis in 08/09. So they did more of what caused the crisis in the first place. Trump (IMO rightly) protested against that when he was a candidate. Only to welcome the exact approach he critisized as soon as he was elected. He made a complete U-turn which should put his credibility to around zero. Now he's shouting all the time that he wants to boost the economy with the approach that has typically been saved for when the economy is in trouble. It doesn't add up and a blind man can see it. But maybe not the die hard Trump supporters...

I don't know what Trump has done to cut regulations and it is not of great interest to me. I don't trust anything he does. Now and then he does something I think is alright, but quite frankly I don't think he has a clue what he is doing. If I go back to the low interest rates that he so desperately wants, what he fails to understand is it's a disaster for pension funds. So to prop up the economy (= stock market for Trump), he punishes people's retirement funds. His tariffs are basically an extra tax on the American people, but he thinks China are sending him money. All in all normal people are getting robbed and the money goes to the richest. Trump is at fault, but he is not the only one. Obama sure played his part in that wealth transfer too.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #58472 on: October 16, 2019, 10:39:07 pm »
He apparently claimed America's ties to Italy go back to Ancient Rome

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58473 on: October 16, 2019, 10:49:07 pm »

Surely not. It’s not written in crayon.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58474 on: October 16, 2019, 10:50:53 pm »
I wonder what color crayons he used before Mommy typed it for him?

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58475 on: October 16, 2019, 11:04:31 pm »
Fake news.

Bill Clinton left a solid economy with no deficit.

Bush Jr. and his cronies were on watch when the financial debacle loomed causing Obama to engineer the bailout, which was paid back with interest.

Fungus' huge tax cut (the only mechanism in the Republican toolbox) for the rich has caused the monster deficit the US currently 'enjoys'.

The economy was absolutely in a better shape before GWB took office than when he left. But in my link above you can read that Clinton removed that law, which if we look back was probably a terrible idea. They all have their flaws.

As much as we like him, Obama helped create the wealth transfer. The crisis was in 08/09. Have a look at the interest rates graph

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/31/heres-how-the-fed-sets-interest-rates-and-how-that-rate-has-changed-over-the-last-four-decades.html

It was cheap money for years under Obama. It wasn't just a temporary fix. You can't do much more to encourage more borrowing than was done when he was in charge. Low interest rates will push asset prices up and it will hurt pension funds. As much as I dislike Trump, his critisism was legit. It doesn't mean I like him and hate Obama, let's just see it for what it is. Interest rates in the US have never been as low as they were under Obama. He kicked the can down the road. That's it.

The big issue I have with Trump on this topic is he made that U-turn. He has added to the budget deficit and he has definitely helped the rich. He has certainly not drained any swamp. If anything he has made it deeper. One can only hope the American voters can see it.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58476 on: October 16, 2019, 11:05:05 pm »
He apparently claimed America's ties to Italy go back to Ancient Rome

:lmao

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #58477 on: October 16, 2019, 11:07:56 pm »

Well to be fair I think he went a bit European and left the crayon signing of "AndMummy" in the letter to pass along the message as to who was to type it up.

In other news WTF was that letter, with WH official stamp on it  :o

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #58478 on: October 16, 2019, 11:09:41 pm »

We joke about crayons...  but that really could have been written in crayon.

This letter is unfathomably poor.  I can’t imagine any other leader at any other time writing such utter crap.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #58479 on: October 16, 2019, 11:20:31 pm »
Calling the former US allies the Kurds "no angels".

I bet if they had oil fields, he would be saying they are his bestest mates.