539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1447222 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Re: Brexit Pretty much living the Orwellian future in Airstrip One
« Reply #26081 on: September 3, 2019, 11:12:40 pm »
It won't clear the Lords until next week at best. Think Monday is the intended day for the Commons to try and deal with amendments. Once you're past 10th/11th then the election won't happen until after the European Council meeting (emergency one is possible, I suppose) on 17th October. And unless Parliament isn't shut down then there's no time to legislate to reduce the legally required time for a campaign.

Nice one, cheers for clearing that up.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #26082 on: September 3, 2019, 11:12:55 pm »
@hzeffman
Ken Clarke does not appear at all shaken, or lost, by being booted out of the party he's represented for 49 years in the Commons. "Anyone who says I'm not a Conservative is taking an odd political view. It's the Brexit Party rebadged."
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #26083 on: September 3, 2019, 11:13:18 pm »
Of course, having an election after blocking no deal could also be suicidal.

If Johnson wins the election with a majority (which the pols say is possible) then they could just repeal the bill and it’s no deal here we go with no way of stoping it and all the Tory moderates kicked out...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #26084 on: September 3, 2019, 11:14:07 pm »
Could say the same with Labour, but let's worry about that when we get there. Some weirdos got elected in 2017  ;D

I must’ve missed Labour deselecting 21 MPs 🤷🏻‍♀️

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #26085 on: September 3, 2019, 11:14:29 pm »
https://twitter.com/shippersunbound/status/1169004516840235014?s=21

:lmao

Cat Smith: "As one of several shadow cabinet members stood right next to Jeremy (who was on the phone at the time) I just thought there was some loud bloke who stunk of booze yelling at us."

Guardian journo was saying Cummings had been drinking this evening - apparently wandering round the offices for journalists looking lost and holding a glass of red wine.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #26086 on: September 3, 2019, 11:14:36 pm »
Can someone explain to me the consequence of being de-selected and losing the whip?
Just to add to what others have said, removal of the Whip means that those MPs will not be classed as Conservative MPs for as long as the Whip is withdrawn. They will remain MPs but be classed as Independents. Of course, the Whip can be reinstated at any time and they will become Conservative MPs again, so it's only a temporary disarrangement.

Tonight's removal of the Whip is mainly for show; I imagine said Whip would be reinstated before any General Election. Not even Johnson is so thick as to go into an Election 21 MPs down from where he could be.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #26087 on: September 3, 2019, 11:14:54 pm »
Apparently a number of telephone calls were put through to a number of the rebels to put maximum pressure on them.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #26088 on: September 3, 2019, 11:15:03 pm »
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson started the day with 311 MPs, and a majority of one. He's finishing it with 289 MPs, very much the leader of a minority government.

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1168999111162519552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1168999111162519552&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flive%2Fuk-politics-49557734

Well done Bozo. :lmao
#Sausages

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #26089 on: September 3, 2019, 11:15:05 pm »
But the Commons can vote that amendment down, right?
Sorry, I wrote 'amendment' when I meant 'motion' (all the jargon begins to meld into one).

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26090 on: September 3, 2019, 11:15:18 pm »
Alistair Campbell

Just let this sink in ... @NadineDorries is on the government front bench. Ken Clarke,  @DavidGauke @PhilipHammondUK will shortly be deemed unfit to be Tories let alone ministers. This deserves to be the shortest lived premiership of all time.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26091 on: September 3, 2019, 11:15:50 pm »
There are going to be a lot of new faces at the next election, on both sides of the house.

whilst I despise nearly all the current generation of Westminster MPs greatly, it will be a massive loss of experience to have such a turnover after the upcoming election. At a time when we need to rebuild the government and politics of this country.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #26092 on: September 3, 2019, 11:17:02 pm »
whilst I despise nearly all the current generation of Westminster MPs greatly, it will be a massive loss of experience to have such a turnover after the upcoming election. At a time when we need to rebuild the government and politics of this country.

Tells you something about this current "Government" though.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26093 on: September 3, 2019, 11:17:19 pm »
To think if Unite had selected David instead of Ed to run for Labour in 2010 all we'd have to talk about is a European Cup, fuck all else.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26094 on: September 3, 2019, 11:18:08 pm »
To think if Unite had selected David instead of Ed to run for Labour in 2010 all we'd have to talk about is a European Cup, fuck all else.
There’s the hideous truth...

Save us from the extremists in politics...

Still, atleast we all know what it’s like to be Italian now.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26095 on: September 3, 2019, 11:19:32 pm »
There’s the hideous truth...

Save us from the extremists in politics...

Still, atleast we all know what it’s like to be Italian now.
without the weather or the ladies tho

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26097 on: September 3, 2019, 11:20:13 pm »
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson started the day with 311 MPs, and a majority of one. He's finishing it with 289 MPs, very much the leader of a minority government.

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1168999111162519552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1168999111162519552&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flive%2Fuk-politics-49557734

Well done Bozo. :lmao

these brilliant strategists on the Alt-right don't seem to understand the parliamentary system

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26098 on: September 3, 2019, 11:22:02 pm »
I worry that if the Tories win they’ll have gained some people from UKIP/Brexit Party and then we really are looking at a government on the far right of the spectrum. Those “moderates” will be replaced somehow.

The vast majority of the white/very pale blue marginal 'Leave' seats are Tory (especially the further south). Commuter belt, towns and cities with functioning economies and many relatively socially liberal captured back from LibDems/Labour since the early 2000s by the 'compassionate conservatism' under Cameron.

A hard right Tory party, represented on campaign by Boris "fuck business" Johnson, Mogg, Raab, McVey etc is going to lose seats across southern/middle England.

Polls are weighted by how 'likely to vote' respondents declare themselves (to avoid discrepancies polls used to have without that weighting and thus overestimating 'weak' support = votes). All that should be needed is a half decent Labour campaign with no major fuckups, for Lib Dems in particular to swallow moderate Tory seats in the south.

One thing we (and pundits) haven't considered yet is whether GoNU might come back into play now, particularly if Johnson forces a VoNC (after failing under FTPA). There are 22 fewer Tory MPs than there were yesterday. They're still very unlikely to put Corbyn into No. 10 even for 10 minutes - but someone like Ken Clarke is no longer a Tory grandee. It's easier for Labour to support him as a caretaker Stop No Deal PM than it was last week.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26099 on: September 3, 2019, 11:23:00 pm »
It was my mistake, ignore.
:) Ah well,we are still both right, he knows he's not getting a deal before Oct31st.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #26100 on: September 3, 2019, 11:23:08 pm »
This is inevitable. But it ought to play into Labour’s hands, at least under normal circumstances. The line that Corbyn should use is that the Tory party is turning into a Conservative Militant Tendency - full of dangerous extremists who have entered the party from the margins. He should use the term “Militant Tendency” too.....

😏
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26101 on: September 3, 2019, 11:24:47 pm »
I must’ve missed Labour deselecting 21 MPs 🤷🏻‍♀️
Umm, that might still be on the cards if some get their way...
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26102 on: September 3, 2019, 11:26:05 pm »
but someone like Ken Clarke is no longer a Tory grandee. It's easier for Labour to support him as a caretaker Stop No Deal PM than it was last week.

Excellent point mate.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26103 on: September 3, 2019, 11:26:55 pm »
Just to add to what others have said, removal of the Whip means that those MPs will not be classed as Conservative MPs for as long as the Whip is withdrawn. They will remain MPs but be classed as Independents. Of course, the Whip can be reinstated at any time and they will become Conservative MPs again, so it's only a temporary disarrangement.

Tonight's removal of the Whip is mainly for show; I imagine said Whip would be reinstated before any General Election. Not even Johnson is so thick as to go into an Election 21 MPs down from where he could be.
In safe Tory/Leave seats, he'll want to replace with true Brexit believers. In a seat like Putney (Justine Greening), he probably knows it's a lost cause as the 'Brexit party rebadged'.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26104 on: September 3, 2019, 11:27:58 pm »
That tweet has been removed already. Do you have another link?

Dominic Cummings just bumped into Corbyn in Portcullis House and shouted “Come on Jeremy let’s do this election, don’t be scared.” My spy says Corbyn was bundled away by horrified aides

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #26105 on: September 3, 2019, 11:28:56 pm »

:lmao
#Sausages

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26106 on: September 3, 2019, 11:30:15 pm »
Rory Stewart has now tweeted that he's not stepping down as an MP.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26107 on: September 3, 2019, 11:30:58 pm »
Rory Stewart has now tweeted that he's not stepping down as an MP.

MI5 say no really quickly.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26109 on: September 3, 2019, 11:33:32 pm »
Dominic Cummings just bumped into Corbyn in Portcullis House and shouted “Come on Jeremy let’s do this election, don’t be scared.” My spy says Corbyn was bundled away by horrified aides
Really!? 'Corbyn buddled away' in case he actually succumbed to the juvenile taunt? That was a pretty desperate play by Cummings. I thought he was was supposed to brilliant or something. ::)
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
#Sausages

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #26112 on: September 3, 2019, 11:35:13 pm »
In safe Tory/Leave seats, he'll want to replace with true Brexit believers. In a seat like Putney (Justine Greening), he probably knows it's a lost cause as the 'Brexit party rebadged'.
True, though if the unwhipped MP also stands, that would surely split the vote? And wouldn't the local associations have a say in who they want as their candidate?

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26113 on: September 3, 2019, 11:37:16 pm »
True, though if the unwhipped MP also stands, that would surely split the vote? And wouldn't the local associations have a say in who they want as their candidate?
Yes - Hammond's certainly. But a number of others have already said they're stepping down. Ideally, you'd need to check the rebels majorities versus the remain/leave percentages, but apart from Greening and Stewart's I'd looked up earlier, I can't be arsed :).

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26114 on: September 3, 2019, 11:38:39 pm »
but someone like Ken Clarke is no longer a Tory grandee. It's easier for Labour to support him as a caretaker Stop No Deal PM than it was last week.

I first met Ken Clarke over 20years ago, when I was an A-level student. Even then, and his whole life, he was advocating the benefits of free trade wherever he could. If I had to trust anyone who understood the pros and cons of any trade deal it would be him.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26116 on: September 3, 2019, 11:40:54 pm »
Really!? 'Corbyn buddled away' in case he actually succumbed to the juvenile taunt? That was a pretty desperate play by Cummings. I thought he was was supposed to brilliant or something. ::)
Yeah, what a coincidence. Corbyn bumps into the man who came up with a plan to trap Corbyn into a GE only hours after Corbyn told him to piss off, we know what your up too.
Did he have any sarnies with him, he's probably been standing their waiting for him for ages.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26117 on: September 3, 2019, 11:41:39 pm »
May in particularly good humour leaving parliament  tonight...

There’s many things to be said about her, but it must be an enormous weight off her shoulders... it’s an impossible task
W

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
#Sausages

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26119 on: September 3, 2019, 11:48:33 pm »
May in particularly good humour leaving parliament  tonight...

There’s many things to be said about her, but it must be an enormous weight off her shoulders... it’s an impossible task
Yeah but it's very important to remember what has happened over the last 3 yrs, she made the PMs job impossible when she laid down her red lines, it made any good deal impossible.it also helped rip the country in half.
               Emily Maitlis