Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 24225 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Harry Potter
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:12:16 am »
Right. I've seen the films. I've read all the books (lent to me by someone at work) and really its just unmitigated s****.

The books are poorly written. The films are terrible. And not just in a normally terrible way - they are awful.

Most of the actors are miscast. The plotlines and stories are abysmal and the actual films themselves are muddled and confused at best.

Not sure how anyone over the age of 2 could possibly think these films are anything other than pure gash.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:14:18 am »
Can a mod move this to the media forum thingy please.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 01:12:39 pm »
So, apart from your personal opinion of the books/films, do you actually have anything worthwhile to say? Rowling is hardly Voltaire, but then she wasn't trying to be. She has written what have turned out to be a phenomenally successful series of children's books, which have also captured the adult imagination. I have read all of the books several times over and am in the process of reading my way through the series in preparation for the final installment. I assume you're the sort of gentleman who gives me looks of disgust on trains as I sit there reading Harry Potter, a "children's book". How dare I, as an adult, take pleasure in children's literature! What you're not aware of is that after three years of reading naught but legal textbooks, fictional literature in any form is most welcome to my tired brain, and I happen to enjoy the Harry Potter books for their sense of adventure, fun, good versus evil and the very thing that you complain about most: that they are not written in a complicated matter. If I wanted complicated, I'd re-read my Land Law textbook.

You don't like them, that's fine with me, but I see no sense in starting a thread personally abusing those who find pleasure in some light fiction. Apart from which, how you can consider the likes of Maggie Smith as McGonagall and Alan Rickman as Snape "miscast" is beyond me. I'm of the opinion that the casting directors did a sterling job, because the images portrayed for me on screen of the characters bear an immensely close resemblance to the images I have imagined so many times whilst reading the books.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 01:17:31 pm »
I've read all the books

really its just unmitigated s****.

Why would you read them then?

Fair enough if you wanted to see what all the fucc was about, but would you not realise this is your opinion after the first 1000 pages of so (up to book 3 / 4)?

I think you're telling porkies andy. I don't think you've read them at all.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 03:09:52 pm »
So, apart from your personal opinion of the books/films, do you actually have anything worthwhile to say? Rowling is hardly Voltaire, but then she wasn't trying to be. She has written what have turned out to be a phenomenally successful series of children's books, which have also captured the adult imagination. I have read all of the books several times over and am in the process of reading my way through the series in preparation for the final installment. I assume you're the sort of gentleman who gives me looks of disgust on trains as I sit there reading Harry Potter, a "children's book". How dare I, as an adult, take pleasure in children's literature! What you're not aware of is that after three years of reading naught but legal textbooks, fictional literature in any form is most welcome to my tired brain, and I happen to enjoy the Harry Potter books for their sense of adventure, fun, good versus evil and the very thing that you complain about most: that they are not written in a complicated matter. If I wanted complicated, I'd re-read my Land Law textbook.

You don't like them, that's fine with me, but I see no sense in starting a thread personally abusing those who find pleasure in some light fiction. Apart from which, how you can consider the likes of Maggie Smith as McGonagall and Alan Rickman as Snape "miscast" is beyond me. I'm of the opinion that the casting directors did a sterling job, because the images portrayed for me on screen of the characters bear an immensely close resemblance to the images I have imagined so many times whilst reading the books.

Why would anyone give anyone a look of 'disgust' because they choose to read something?!

What you read is obviously entirely up to you - I was just very, very disappointed with them - I'd seen the films and was nonplussed - but people always said "The books are better than the films" - perhaps the expectation that this was actually true was what prevented me from enjoying them.

I slogged through the lot right up to date and in my opinion they are terrible - mind you I've read a lot of fantasy work by a lot of authors - so they did have quite a lot to live up to

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 03:11:28 pm »
Why would you read them then?

Fair enough if you wanted to see what all the fucc was about, but would you not realise this is your opinion after the first 1000 pages of so (up to book 3 / 4)?

I think you're telling porkies andy. I don't think you've read them at all.

I read them because someone in work had them, so I lent him several books and he lent me six Harry Potter books which I've just finished slogging through.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 03:18:51 pm »
I've read all the books (before seeing the films, if that makes any difference). The first couple or three are imaginative but not great story telling, I do think the fourth is a marvelous book in it's own right and installments 5/6 are not far behind. Certainly no worse than when I read the hobbit years ago.

I'm not expert on literature and know far less about it than I do films and film making or art and photography, but I don't think they are horrific.  As a series I've enjoyed the books immensely, although like most books I didn't like the films as much.

* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 03:39:31 pm »
Shock horror, Andy @ Allerton makes outlandish statement with no real purpose in yet another new thread to try and get a rise out of people ::)
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 04:37:32 pm »
Shock horror, Andy @ Allerton makes outlandish statement with no real purpose in yet another new thread to try and get a rise out of people ::)
Agreed. This is right up there with Andy's little gem from a couple of weeks ago  .  .  American football  .  .  is it gay?

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 04:54:18 pm »
Dumbledore is mis-cast. Fact!
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »
So, a boy is chosen to attend a school for wizards, which means leaving his familiar home and family, but while there he makes some unlikely friends as he learns that his destiny is to be a mage of great power and influence, who must battle the ultimate forces of darkness to save the world.
Ursula Le Guin should do her for plagiarism. Hard. Even the scar is a ripoff.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 05:34:50 pm »
She ripped off an awful lot of themes but at the end of the day remember this: IT'S A CHILDREN'S BOOK.
And millions of children love them.
It's not high powered literature but its not meant to be so why bother worrying about it ?
i've enjoyed a lot of them but only for what they are - good stories.
Yep.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 05:39:10 pm »
My personal dislike of them aside, she has, like it or not, got a whole load of non-readers into reading. And as more and more sit slackjawed in front of their XWiis or Playstation 360s, waiting for passersby to drop another pizza slice into their upturned gullets, that's no bad thing.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 05:42:11 pm »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=181503.msg3084758#msg3084758

Quote from: Andy@Allerton
That last Doctor Who
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:45:25 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was fecking superb.

Loved it - there have been some hit and miss ones - but those statue weeping angels were well Eeeek!

Plus great plot.

From the man who thought Harry Potter was pish...
Yep.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 06:35:17 pm »
My personal dislike of them aside, she has, like it or not, got a whole load of non-readers into reading. And as more and more sit slackjawed in front of their XWiis or Playstation 360s, waiting for passersby to drop another pizza slice into their upturned gullets, that's no bad thing.

Fair point. Anything that gets the drooling little Epsilons young people reading has got to be good
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 09:57:27 pm »

We are agree'in again. Stop it.

Ive read the lot, and find them massively enjoyable to read. It doesnt matter if they are not to the standards of Oscar Wild etc.

And if that makes me a gobshite, i do apologise. i'll go and brick your car instead then

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 11:30:24 pm »

Ive read the lot, and find them massively enjoyable to read. It doesnt matter if they are not to the standards of Oscar Wild etc.

And if that makes me a gobshite, i do apologise. i'll go and brick your car instead then

As long as you brick it wearing a pointy hat and yelling "avada kedavra" whilst brandishing a stick, I'll let you off ;)

Why would anyone give anyone a look of 'disgust' because they choose to read something?!

My sentiments exactly, with the obvious exception. But seriously, having spent many a train journey reading HP I've found that some people, obviously not fans of the books, look down upon adults reading children's literature, like it implies some sort of intelligence deficiency. Mind, I can't prove that's why he was giving me dodgy looks but I couldn't think of anything else. What amused me was the battered H G Wells on the table in front of him - I presume that was his. He must have been at least 60 and I was reading H G Wells at 10.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 08:43:08 am »
As long as you brick it wearing a pointy hat and yelling "avada kedavra" whilst brandishing a stick, I'll let you off ;)

My sentiments exactly, with the obvious exception. But seriously, having spent many a train journey reading HP I've found that some people, obviously not fans of the books, look down upon adults reading children's literature, like it implies some sort of intelligence deficiency. Mind, I can't prove that's why he was giving me dodgy looks but I couldn't think of anything else. What amused me was the battered H G Wells on the table in front of him - I presume that was his. He must have been at least 60 and I was reading H G Wells at 10.

I've read and would read plenty of 'childrens books' with no problem (May I remind you I've just read the Harry Potter ones). There are many excellent 'Childrens Books' out there with great imagination and ideas.

Literature is literature - I don't think anyone should limit trying any book once

Just in this case I was disappointed. To be honest, I think that if they hadn't been so hyped by people I know and reviews I've read then I might not have been expecting as much - so the disappointement may have been more to do with over-expectation than with the poor quality of the books.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 08:45:39 am »

I've read several Oscar Wilde books and for the record think they are average at best, although the "Picture of Dorian Gray" is quite decent.

He's a bit up his own arse IMO.

If you like Whimsical books then I think you'd be better off with P.G. Wodehouse - who I think is a charming and funny writer with some great story lines.

For the record if you want to read Wilde or indeed Wodehouse for free - you can get them all at This place http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page in text  or HTML format!

Enjoy

There's a lot of good books on there - plus a fair few fantasy books

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 08:46:26 am »

Is an excellent point - the more kids reading the better. Wholeheartedly agree.

I'm not having a go at others reading and enjoyment of the books - just that I was disappointed with them

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 08:54:34 am »
Right. I've seen the films. I've read all the books and really its just unmitigated s****.
The books are poorly written. The films are terrible.
Most of the actors are miscast. The plotlines and stories are abysmal and the actual films themselves are muddled and confused at best.
Not sure how anyone over the age of 2 could possibly think these films are anything other than pure gash.

;)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 08:57:44 am »

If only he had stopped there. He could have saved himself that stretch in Reading Gaol.

Question for the grownups who read HP- do you buy the standard version, or do you go for the 'adult' copy?

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 09:03:42 am »
Well said, Sister!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 09:37:10 am »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=181503.msg3084758#msg3084758

From the man who thought Harry Potter was pish...

As I said I read a lot of Science Fiction/Fantasy as well as more 'historical' works.

I personally think the standard of writing in the latest Dr. Who series is very, very good.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 09:37:43 am »
If only he had stopped there. He could have saved himself that stretch in Reading Gaol.

Question for the grownups who read HP- do you buy the standard version, or do you go for the 'adult' copy?

I didn't even know there were two versions.

Perhaps I would have been better reading the 'adult' copy

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 09:39:56 am »
I didn't even know there were two versions.

Perhaps I would have been better reading the 'adult' copy
Oh aye.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 11:09:01 am »
I've always bought the books with the children's cover, but as the cover for the final book is so hideous I might make an exception and buy the adult cover version. Does anyone know if it's available for purchase on the same release date, or does it only come out later?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 11:14:19 am »
I've always bought the books with the children's cover, but as the cover for the final book is so hideous I might make an exception and buy the adult cover version. Does anyone know if it's available for purchase on the same release date, or does it only come out later?
July 21st, acording to Amazon. For both, that is.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 11:26:23 am »
Just logged on to Amazon now, cheers. £8.99 seems to be the going pre-order rate everywhere. Just spotted on Amazon they have a picture of the inside flap of the cover and I can just about make out what it says. Anyone want to know?

Offline ozbird

• Boys Pen
  • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 11:51:04 am »
Harry Potter is mad, you dont know what you're talkin about! (im 13, so its a warning if you think im a bit overboard)
The books are brilliant, they're wrtten with pure and amazing imagination, i mean to think of a story about a boy who is a wizard and all that on a train ride,ill like to c u try! but there is one thing i gotta agree with you on, the movies aren't that gr8, but its still brilliant, mis-casting? no way, defintley no way, the casting is brilliant, not so sure about luna lovegood but still they match the descriptions in the book perfectly, i've read the Harry Potter series countless times, more than 30 times ech, and each time i marvel at JK Rowlings ability to write such captivating stories that mostly the whole world loves, besides some people
;D ;) :)
**You'll Never Walk Alone!**

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 12:17:14 pm »
Just logged on to Amazon now, cheers. £8.99 seems to be the going pre-order rate everywhere. Just spotted on Amazon they have a picture of the inside flap of the cover and I can just about make out what it says. Anyone want to know?
Send it to me in a PM please :)

Im in Malia for the release date, so if any c*nt ruins it for me when im on holiday i'll drown them in the pool.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 12:43:35 pm »
Will do, just as soon as I've come down from cloud 9 ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2007, 12:48:23 pm »
Harry Potter is mad, you dont know what you're talkin about! (im 13, so its a warning if you think im a bit overboard)
The books are brilliant, they're wrtten with pure and amazing imagination, i mean to think of a story about a boy who is a wizard and all that on a train ride,ill like to c u try! but there is one thing i gotta agree with you on, the movies aren't that greeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat, but its still brilliant, mis-casting? no way, defintley no way, the casting is brilliant, not so sure about luna lovegood but still they match the descriptions in the book perfectly, i've read the Harry Potter series countless times, more than 30 times ech, and each time i marvel at JK Rowlings ability to write such captivating stories that mostly the whole world loves, besides some people
;D ;) :)

Apart form the style, the thing I have the problem with is that most of the stuff she 'imagined' is copied from somewhere else

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 01:06:10 pm »
I think its shite myself like, never been able to get into that kind of thing.

But what really pisses me off about its "wonderful" creator, she said when she first brought out the books, it was to get children to read and all that, instead of playing video games and watching the tele. Now, a few video games and films later...... ;)
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007, 01:24:49 pm »
I think its shite myself like, never been able to get into that kind of thing.

But what really pisses me off about its "wonderful" creator, she said when she first brought out the books, it was to get children to read and all that, instead of playing video games and watching the tele. Now, a few video games and films later...... ;)

;D

At least reading is somewhere near the agenda now.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2007, 02:44:43 pm »
SO hang on a minute.
These adult / children versions of the books. Are they exactrly the same book with different covers or is the writing slightly more mature for the adult ones??

I was thinkin the exact same thing last week when i was perusing Readers Wives on the back of the 56.

The fuckin looks i was gettin... Cheeky bar stewards
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2007, 03:19:47 pm »
Will do, just as soon as I've come down from cloud 9 ;D
Congratulations. Now hurry up :P

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2007, 03:46:19 pm »
SO hang on a minute.
These adult / children versions of the books. Are they exactrly the same book with different covers or is the writing slightly more mature for the adult ones??
I think it is the same book with different covers.

EDIT: Now that I am thinking about it, I am not sure.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:47:59 pm by Hank Scorpio »

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2007, 04:23:21 pm »
Send it to me in a PM please :)

Me too please :D
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2007, 05:07:18 pm »
SO hang on a minute.

Same book, different covers.