Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1014659 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Alcohol Issues
« Reply #11600 on: November 18, 2017, 08:12:26 pm »
As an alcoholic there’s no other way. It’s unfortunate but the truth.
it might be one alcoholic's way, but not every alcoholic's way.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #11601 on: November 18, 2017, 08:25:25 pm »
It is a bitter pill to swallow when you consider that my beloved Grandling with everything to live for is dead, whereas I, his Nana who has nothing to live for save my beloved cat, is still alive.   Carl was a failed conversion to feline love, but he always understood cat-wise, and we bantered with a light and loving heart - "If you say so Nana".   My Grandling always understood my booze demons, and I hope that the best of the best which I was able to give to him in support of his were good enough.  He had the gift to me of quietly listening and never forcing advice, which I always returned.  We kept each others booze related confidences and never broke a single word of trust - which is a gift more precious than all the gold in the world.   Oh my dearest Grandling.  I will miss you so much.  Love from your broken hearted Nana.   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:37:51 pm by Maggie May »
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11602 on: November 18, 2017, 08:32:23 pm »
As an alcoholic there’s no other way. It’s unfortunate but the truth.

Not necessarily on either count.  And this is neither the time nor the place for such debate, so may I respectfully request you wind your neck in.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11603 on: November 18, 2017, 09:43:37 pm »
Not necessarily on either count.  And this is neither the time nor the place for such debate, so may I respectfully request you wind your neck in.
ok.

You have the answer? Wind my neck in? You purposely winding me up?

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #11604 on: November 18, 2017, 09:47:38 pm »
ok.

You have the answer? Wind my neck in? You purposely winding me up?
Maggie is winding you up?
She's 'respectfully' asking you to wind your neck in in a sensitive time for a lot of us in here.
Thank god she didn't ask you in her usual manner.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11605 on: November 18, 2017, 09:50:58 pm »
Maggie is winding you up?
She's 'respectfully' asking you to wind your neck in in a sensitive time for a lot of us in here.
Thank god she didn't ask you in her usual manner.

I’m not in the click. People need advice today.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #11606 on: November 18, 2017, 09:53:35 pm »

I'm not in the clique either mate... There isn't one when it comes to problems such as this.
But anyway, now's not the time to be bickering when emotions are so raw  :wave
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11607 on: November 18, 2017, 10:04:09 pm »

The best way to proffer advice is when it is sought. I see nobody asking for advice today. It is nothing to do with cliques either. So please. Understand this place a little better before coming on strong. This is not advice. It's an instruction. This is definitely not the time to be contrary. And that goes for all sides. Thanks.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11608 on: November 18, 2017, 10:10:37 pm »
The best way to proffer advice is when it is sought. I see nobody asking for advice today. It is nothing to do with cliques either. So please. Understand this place a little better before coming on strong. This is not advice. It's an instruction. This is definitely not the time to be contrary. And that goes for all sides. Thanks.

I’m sorry, but unless you suffer this what i class as a disease. What?

You have no idea what your talking about

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11609 on: November 18, 2017, 10:13:32 pm »
You don't own the monopoly on this issue. Neither do I. But I act in the best interests of this site and I do know first hand the effects of this disease so wind yer neck in now. I've just lost a friend and have very nearly lost my father.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11610 on: November 18, 2017, 10:18:37 pm »
You don't own the monopoly on this issue. Neither do I. But I act in the best interests of this site and I do know first hand the effects of this disease so wind yer neck in now. I've just lost a friend and have very nearly lost my father.

Oh dear we might get serious discussion

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11611 on: November 18, 2017, 10:22:13 pm »
I've reviewed your post history and concluded that you are incapable of serious discussion. Not here anyway. I'd take a million Carls over you. Your presence in this thread sullies his name. Now fuck off.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11612 on: November 18, 2017, 10:32:12 pm »

Jesus fucking Christ. I'm literallly sitting here shaking my head.  :knob :tosser
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11613 on: November 18, 2017, 10:44:19 pm »
Jesus fucking Christ. I'm literallly sitting here shaking my head.  :knob :tosser
I know. Of all days. Well, he's permanently banned, so.......

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #11614 on: November 19, 2017, 10:28:28 am »
It is a bitter pill to swallow when you consider that my beloved Grandling with everything to live for is dead, whereas I, his Nana who has nothing to live for save my beloved cat, is still alive.   Carl was a failed conversion to feline love, but he always understood cat-wise, and we bantered with a light and loving heart - "If you say so Nana".   My Grandling always understood my booze demons, and I hope that the best of the best which I was able to give to him in support of his were good enough.  He had the gift to me of quietly listening and never forcing advice, which I always returned.  We kept each others booze related confidences and never broke a single word of trust - which is a gift more precious than all the gold in the world.   Oh my dearest Grandling.  I will miss you so much.  Love from your broken hearted Nana.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Mags, and to everyone who knew Carl, especially his family.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11615 on: November 19, 2017, 10:46:37 am »
Carl was family to us all. He was a pain in the ass, a witty funny lovely twat and had no more doubts and fears as any of us when we're being really honest.

He was no different to any of us and brilliantly unique.

I never met him, but an online acquaintance for over a decade. Billy put it best. "You felt like you knew him".

He was and always will be part of RAWK and just like the other members who have passed onto the great Boot Room in the sky, he will be remembered and missed.

If the best and only thing RAWK ever does is bring us together as humans, then it still has a vital purpose.

He was and is still family.
Yep.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11616 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:04 am »
I've been in touch with Paul this morning. He told me to "pass on my best to Jim and the lads".

I guess Paul's a testament to that it is in fact possible to knock the drink on the head and move on. It takes a helluva lot of will power, very good friends and family but it certainly can be done!

Send him my best too if you speak to him again mate. :wave

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #11617 on: November 19, 2017, 11:46:44 am »
Send him my best too if you speak to him again mate. :wave

I will, mate! :thumbup

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11618 on: November 19, 2017, 03:56:05 pm »
Carl's passing has come as quite a shock to some. To others here it might be less surprising but no less upsetting. I've been giving some thought as to his legacy.

When Shanklyboy left us unexpectedly and altogether too quickly, we renamed the Arl Arse thread after him.

It seems only fitting that we dedicate this thread to Carl, although I am aware too that some might find that either awkward or uncomfortable or otherwise inappropriate.

So, before I do anything, I just wanted to sound youse out - do you think 'The Sir Harvest Field Thread on Alcohol Issues - 300 pages of help' is suitable? I'm open to suggestions. If Carl's legacy is going to consist of anything it must surely be connected somehow to the help and support he used to offer others who were suffering similarly.......

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #11619 on: November 19, 2017, 04:04:12 pm »
Carl's passing has come as quite a shock to some. To others here it might be less surprising but no less upsetting. I've been giving some thought as to his legacy.

When Shanklyboy left us unexpectedly and altogether too quickly, we renamed the Arl Arse thread after him.

It seems only fitting that we dedicate this thread to Carl, although I am aware too that some might find that either awkward or uncomfortable or otherwise inappropriate.

So, before I do anything, I just wanted to sound youse out - do you think 'The Sir Harvest Field Thread on Alcohol Issues - 300 pages of help and wit' is suitable? I'm open to suggestions. If Carl's legacy is going to consist of anything it must surely be connected somehow to the help and support he used to offer others who were suffering similarly.......

Just to appreciate some of his more droll interventions?

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11620 on: November 19, 2017, 04:39:56 pm »

So, before I do anything, I just wanted to sound youse out - do you think 'The Sir Harvest Field Thread on Alcohol Issues - 300 pages of help' is suitable? I'm open to suggestions. If Carl's legacy is going to consist of anything it must surely be connected somehow to the help and support he used to offer others who were suffering similarly.......
Great idea that Jim [emoji1303] and well in for banning that cheeky fucker.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #11621 on: November 19, 2017, 04:50:53 pm »

:thumbup

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11622 on: November 19, 2017, 04:58:30 pm »
I will, mate! :thumbup

Glad to hear Paul is winning again, shout him a hello from me n all mate (Alex)

Offline GrandOldAuntieHelenVanriel

• Kings Lynn? More like Vera Lynn! :) Norfolk Granny 2018 Award.
  • Main Stander
  • no one is free. Even birds are chained to the sky
« Reply #11623 on: November 19, 2017, 05:39:09 pm »
It has taken a while to sink in, but it just hit home. Carl has been a great support to this thread, and likewise has received great support in here.

It's very easy for me to not connect that behind these usernames are actual people. I know they are, but sometimes it almost feels everyone is just anonymous. I never felt that way with Carl. I don't know why. Maybe it's because him (and a few others) are always here throughout the good and the bad. I can't say the same for myself. When I was sloppy drunk asking for help, Carl would be one of the first to respond. When I chimed in that I just received my eighteen month sobriety chip, he was one of the first to respond. When I fell off the wagon again and came in here distraught, take a guess.

And I wish I could say the same. That I had given the same amount of support he has given myself and others. The disease won, and nothing I can say or do will change that. My chance is lost, and Carl is gone. I know just as well as many in here that sometimes no amount of advice, words of encouragement, or support will change someone's reaction to this disease, but they simultaneously have little chance without it, whatever the source.

Carl, I'm sorry I wasn't here for you as often you were for me. I'm going to miss you. Thank you for everything, and I'll never forget you.
❤️
The trouble is, you think you have time....

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11624 on: November 19, 2017, 05:50:51 pm »

My personal input is I think the thread title should be changed and the one you suggest sounds good to me.
choose Life.

Offline GrandOldAuntieHelenVanriel

• Kings Lynn? More like Vera Lynn! :) Norfolk Granny 2018 Award.
  • Main Stander
  • no one is free. Even birds are chained to the sky
« Reply #11625 on: November 19, 2017, 05:53:40 pm »
I’m having a day of blonde moments ( no offence to blondes) it’s a thing Carl used to say to me. I tried to post a response against the quote rather than add to it 🙄🔫
BRdispatch05 I wanted to say how your post grabbed at me. Thank you so much for sharing this.... ❤️
The trouble is, you think you have time....

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11626 on: November 19, 2017, 07:10:29 pm »
I just want to thank you Carl for sharing your experiences with us over the years. This thread alone has probably helped more people on RAWK than any other. It's no overstatement to say this thread changed my life for the better. I hope it can stay alive in your memory even without it's brutally honest and sincere author. Sometimes it has been the only place to turn to after a rough patch.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11627 on: November 19, 2017, 07:15:01 pm »

I think its a lovely idea. He started this thread after all as much as to help others as himself, so what could be more appropriate.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11628 on: November 19, 2017, 07:59:04 pm »
Agree with the others. I didn't know Carl, but I think this thread would make a fitting tribute to him.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #11629 on: November 19, 2017, 09:11:05 pm »
Absolutely spot on for me. Even thought the boozer might have the Sir Harvest Fields snug which was this thread as a Sticky or some such.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11630 on: November 19, 2017, 09:32:37 pm »

I'm 100% in support of this Jim. I was thinking along similar lines earlier today. The thread should definitely be renamed in his honour.

Just to chuck in my tuppence worth, I think it should be called "The Carl Vanriel Thread On Alcohol Issues"

I know his username was Sir Harvest Fields, but he was Carl to most of us

Whatever you decide is A-ok with me though
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11631 on: November 19, 2017, 09:39:34 pm »
A sister of a friend of my mum's died in similar circumstances. The organs just shut down because she stopped drinking. It's a sobering thought. I've always been a heavy drinker myself, but am probably just on the right side of alcohol abuse. I certainly drink over the recommended weekly limits. I do wonder how easy it would be to be in the same position that Carl found himself in, my guess is that it's a fine line.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11632 on: November 19, 2017, 09:40:55 pm »
Excellent Jim.  It should be named exactly as you say.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11633 on: November 19, 2017, 09:45:03 pm »
Carl’s cattery...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #11634 on: November 19, 2017, 10:05:57 pm »
With just reading in the main thread about the terribly sad news about Carl it hopefully will in some small way give people on here who have alcohol issues [like myself] a kick up the arse to try sort themselves out.  Regardless of that we have sadly lost another to young to this horrible disease.

Rest In Peace Carl.  YNWA.

Just reading this now.

Carl and I gave up the first time at the same time and he was a great sounding board for me on this very thread that he started.

I'm gutted.

He leaves a positive legacy in this thread.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #11635 on: November 19, 2017, 10:08:01 pm »
R.I.P Carl. You'll be sorely missed lad   :(

I never met Carl in person, but in a strange kind of way, I always felt like I "knew him", if that makes sense? It's hard to describe or put in words why I felt that. I guess when you openly confide in someone about an issue as serious as alcoholism then an underlying bond and respect naturally develops between the persons involved. Lord knows, Carl and I had our disagreements and failed to see eye to eye on many occasions. Sometimes it got heated and we told each other where to go. Carl was good at that. He had quite a knack for telling people to go fuck themselves in a round-about polite sort of way  :)

But it never got personal. As much as we squabbled, and as much as we clashed heads, I think both of us knew, that beneath it all, we just wanted what was best for each other. I remember on one occasion, having had quite a heated debate with him in this thread, he popped up in the main forum 2 minutes later, spotted a post of mine, quoted it, and replied with "  Well said you c*nt  ;) " And that was it. A couple of PM's later all was cool. And that was Carl. He was a good hearted soul. I'm just sorry that my efforts to save him from his demons didn't materialize in the end  :-\

There were times when I literally wanted to reach into my computer screen and grab him, such was my wish to help him, and to try avert what I always feared would be an imminent end for him. Then again, that being said, had I managed to grab him, I honestly don't know if I would have strangled him, or just hugged him and sobbed uncontrollably with him - such was my understanding of the turmoil he was going through. It's a bastard cunting disease this. It really is

So long Carl! You certainly wont be forgotten. Adios mate  :(

Well put Billy
(AndyinVA)

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #11636 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:43 pm »
I just want to thank you Carl for sharing your experiences with us over the years. This thread alone has probably helped more people on RAWK than any other. It's no overstatement to say this thread changed my life for the better. I hope it can stay alive in your memory even without it's brutally honest and sincere author. Sometimes it has been the only place to turn to after a rough patch.

Billy is usually the word smith but this really sums up how I feel exactly.

It is very true that certainly for me this has been the only place to turn. People we know but don't know. People without a real connection who can give quite brutal honestly but also an empathetic understanding.

I'll be forever grateful to Carl for starting this and for all the great contributors in here and for the MODS letting the conversation get out of control once in a while but not taking permanent actions against good people who are in a bad place.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 'Carl Van Riel' Legacy Thread on Alcohol Issues: c300 pages of help.
« Reply #11637 on: November 20, 2017, 08:21:34 am »
Excellent Jim.  It should be named exactly as you say.
I went with Billy's suggestion and used Carl's real instead of RAWK name, given it's so well known anyway. I've rejected Tepid's "Carl's Cattery" suggestion - don't wanna annoy Carl like ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:24:03 am by 24/7 »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: The 'Carl Van Riel' Legacy Thread on Alcohol Issues: c300 pages of help.
« Reply #11638 on: November 20, 2017, 08:50:36 am »
Without wanting to sound insensitive (and hopefully most people on here who know me, know I'm not) but given what caused Carl's passing into the great Iron Maiden Social Club in the sky, isn't 'legacy' a slightly clunky turn of phrase?

Also, just on a technical point, the thread title is now very long. It's primary goal is to get people in here to talk about their alcohol issues and depending on how you're viewing the thread (what device / screen size / etc) - the alcohol issues part could easily get cut off completely. May I suggest something along the lines of "Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread"?

As much as we all miss Carl, I think it's vital that the importance of the intent of the thread is preserved.

Think that's a good idea
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread
« Reply #11639 on: November 20, 2017, 08:52:00 am »
Yep, think that's spot on Dan.

Nice idea all round mind :wave