Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #5: Kuyt V Sunderland, September 2010  (Read 34046 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #5: Kuyt V Sunderland, September 2010
« on: December 2, 2014, 11:30:49 pm »
Steve Bruce....he’s got a big fat head....he’s got a big fat head...he’s got a big fat head.

Mine may be the only choice from the Hodgson Era of Darkness in this festive series but it was a timing thing. I had turned 40 earlier in the year and my ever loving in laws had clubbed together to send me and my boy to Anfield for a game of our choosing. However, while they were generously coughing up for flights and hotel, the matter of tickets was left to me to sort, a task I delegated with equal generosity to my buddy Steve (toomanysteves on here) who was joining us with his girl Rosie. Steve duly sorted us for a home game vs Sunderland and off we chugged.

So there we are, in the fucking Kop, which was a first for me while the boy was utterly rapt. Nine years old, sitting in among a bunch of foul mouthed Scousers, watching Torres and Gerrard in the flesh. Dreamland.

The first thing he learned was that the Kop gets off its feet with regularity, which meant him hopping up on the seat to get a view. The second thing he learned was that his father is a sensible sort, as said father told him that while we were in the ground, he could swear all he wanted. He let loose at one point and then guiltily looked around, as if someone was going to nab him for it.

So anyway, this goal. Ref gave Sunderland a free deep in their own half and then this happened.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0p08ugDV7G8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0p08ugDV7G8</a>

As you will have noticed, Michael Turner passed the ball in a somewhat lazy fashion back to the Sunderland keeper, chap called Mignolet, and evidently underestimated the distance involved. Or possibly felt that he was merely coaxing the ball back for his keeper to then place and whallop. Who knows? Along comes Torres advancing, somewhat sheepishly, on the poor unmanned keeper and then sulkily crossing to Kuyt who manages to make a simple finish look hard won.

Not much of a goal, all other things being equal but on this occasion, there was more. We in the Kop could all plainly see the then Sunderland manager, Steve Bruce, potatoesque of head and Mancly of heritage, remonstrating with the ref for what he irrationally saw as a questionable decision. At this point, we felt it opportune to remind Mr Bruce of his cranial features. As me and my boy hollered out, I looked at him, eyes shining, head back, aloft his seat and swaying with the Kop and I thought, well, fair play to the in laws. This is a good present.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Tp7Vjprp944" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Tp7Vjprp944</a>
« Last Edit: December 4, 2014, 11:40:00 pm by Corkboy »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #5: Kuyt V Sunderland, September 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 5, 2014, 12:25:05 am »
On the 5th day of Christmas my Corkboy wrote for us

fiiiiiive goal posts....
Yep.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #2 on: December 5, 2014, 07:11:22 am »
Now that  Corky is quite wonderful.  Thank you.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2014, 07:56:26 am »
Very nice, a day I'm sure you and your lad will remember forever.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #4 on: December 5, 2014, 09:14:54 am »
Excellent. Better than the beach ball goal.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #5 on: December 5, 2014, 09:35:31 am »
When I saw the title I must admit I was a little bemused, but remember the goal well.

I bet your boy has been hooked since then! Proves it doesn't have to be the biggest or most emotion of occasions to make memories and new supporters.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #6 on: December 5, 2014, 10:17:43 am »
was at a wedding that day. my mrs was doing bridesmaid for her sister. church wasnt til 1230 and was only a few mins away

was on my own in the house from about 10 so sat around doing sweet FA for an hour. of course typical as soon as i go to put my suit on there was some stupid emergency which meant i was nearly late for the church. the type were you have all morning to do it but no one tells you anything until you are going out the door on time. the said emergency makes you late and its all your fault of course. you know them ones. you have to leave at 12. you hang around from 10 til 1130 with nothing to do then when you go to leave at 12 someone rings you at 1159
"oh by the way you have to do this i forgot to tell you"

meaning to now make it on time you have to drive like lewis hamilton

wedding venue was also where im getting married next year

it was a very bizarre goal that day. but a hilarious one
« Last Edit: December 5, 2014, 10:19:16 am by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7 on: December 5, 2014, 10:38:24 am »
Nice one Corky. That's a first goal your boy will never forget. Mine was a Phil Neal penalty in a losing cause against Leicester. I remember nothing of it!

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 5, 2014, 12:10:54 pm »
Woah, had completely forgotten about that goal to be fair! An example of how the negavity/uncertainty surrounding the club at the time made me forgot almost every single positive bit. Thank you for remembering me this one, great story and I am sure it means a lot to you and your boy!
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: December 5, 2014, 01:33:44 pm »
I've no recollection of that goal at all. I think I've blanked out most of Hodgson's reign
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: December 5, 2014, 01:34:57 pm »
I've no recollection of that goal at all. I think I've blanked out most of Hodgson's reign

You don't remember the famous 2-2 draw at home to Sunderland? Shame on you! It was nice to be controversial for a while, rather than just pitied/mocked.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: December 5, 2014, 01:45:31 pm »
You don't remember the famous 2-2 draw at home to Sunderland? Shame on you! It was nice to be controversial for a while, rather than just pitied/mocked.
Just had a look through our results under Hodgson and actually remember quite a few (not this one though). Was also surprised to see we actually won four games in a row in late October/early November.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: December 5, 2014, 01:47:24 pm »
Just had a look through our results under Hodgson and actually remember quite a few (not this one though). Was also surprised to see we actually won four games in a row in late October/early November.

I remember that - I went to Australia for 2 weeks and missed them all! Before I went we lost to Everton in the Derby and had a dire UEFA game somewhere (Napoli?). Won 4 in a row, I came home and we drew with Wigan and continued being crap again.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #13 on: December 5, 2014, 06:46:20 pm »
was at a wedding that day. my mrs was doing bridesmaid for her sister. church wasnt til 1230 and was only a few mins away

was on my own in the house from about 10 so sat around doing sweet FA for an hour. of course typical as soon as i go to put my suit on there was some stupid emergency which meant i was nearly late for the church. the type were you have all morning to do it but no one tells you anything until you are going out the door on time. the said emergency makes you late and its all your fault of course. you know them ones. you have to leave at 12. you hang around from 10 til 1130 with nothing to do then when you go to leave at 12 someone rings you at 1159
"oh by the way you have to do this i forgot to tell you"

meaning to now make it on time you have to drive like lewis hamilton

wedding venue was also where im getting married next year

it was a very bizarre goal that day. but a hilarious one

Ah yes.  In our case it was lack of delivery of buttonhole flowers for the groom and best man.  My Nan said she'd never seen any panic  and uproar like it since they bombed the docks. 
« Last Edit: December 5, 2014, 06:48:45 pm by Maggie May »
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #14 on: December 5, 2014, 09:00:03 pm »
Ah yes.  In our case it was lack of delivery of buttonhole flowers for the groom and best man.  My Nan said she'd never seen any panic  and uproar like it since they bombed the docks. 
haha brilliant.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 5, 2014, 11:53:21 pm »
Ha ha! Now that I've seen it again, I remember it. Not so great to concede one of those, but a laugh when it goes our way.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #16 on: December 6, 2014, 09:07:06 am »
Another great read, thanks corky. I love the fact that so far we've not really had anything spectacular, it's been moments and memories that have meant something to each of us in different ways.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #17 on: December 6, 2014, 09:54:25 am »
I remember that - I went to Australia for 2 weeks and missed them all! Before I went we lost to Everton in the Derby and had a dire UEFA game somewhere (Napoli?). Won 4 in a row, I came home and we drew with Wigan and continued being crap again.
So, basically, it was all your fault and not Hodgson's at all?

Shame on you for letting that great man carry the can! [emoji13]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #18 on: December 7, 2014, 09:41:07 am »
So, basically, it was all your fault and not Hodgson's at all?

Shame on you for letting that great man carry the can! [emoji13]

I'm sorry. At least he's in a better place now.

I think for the good of the club they should have paid for me to remain in Australia indefinitely too.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #19 on: December 7, 2014, 04:42:08 pm »
I think every Kuyt goal was brilliant ! Good OP though and Steve Bruce still has a big fathead, as for that Mignolet . ;D
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 01:47:29 am »
You're a lucky man, Corky.  My two boys are players, not fans.  I'll never have that thrill.

Smiling for you.  Ta for that.
Kill the humourless