Author Topic: Brazil Protests  (Read 2607 times)

Online Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
Re: Brazil Protests
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 04:37:11 pm »
Epic moment. It had been over 20 years since that many people occupied the streets to protest. It all started because of the raise in fees of public transports, but (and because) the police abused the protesters it gained another vein and it spread throughout the whole country.

This was just yesterday:

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1017477_436571913107986_772640048_n.jpg

The National Congress was invaded in Brasilia. 150k people gathered in Rio de Janeiro alone.

Over 20 european cities are also to host or already hosted protests supporting the brazilian protests.

The abuse of force protagonised by the police has exceeded every limit. A very indualistic people that is the brazilians are now united and the movement has just begun.

Do NOT be manipulated by the media. Though a minority of protests got violent, all the blame is on the unprepared and fascist Polícia Militar

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:42:15 pm by Johnny B. Goode »
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:37:32 pm »
Lucas Levia tweet: Congratulations to all the brazilians that are protesting for a better country. I hope we keep fighting without violence...... I think this is the only way to be heard and to have a better place to live.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:39:14 am »
Heard (not through the media, from my friend on the streets in Brazil) some looting of shops marred some of the protests yesterday. She said it got really violent so she left for home but will be back on the streets asap.

Not good to hear though expected, sadly.

That said regardless if there had been looting or widespread violence or not the media would certainly try and paint the protesters as thugs anyway.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:08:37 pm »
Heard (not through the media, from my friend on the streets in Brazil) some looting of shops marred some of the protests yesterday. She said it got really violent so she left for home but will be back on the streets asap.

Not good to hear though expected, sadly.

That said regardless if there had been looting or widespread violence or not the media would certainly try and paint the protesters as thugs anyway.

Yeah, it's disappointing but expected that brainless idiots will taint the good nature of the protest to throw stones, set things on fire and get their "Che Guevara" "Viva la Revolucion" bullshit across.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:48:08 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZApBgNQgKPU?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZApBgNQgKPU?fs=1</a>

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:02:29 am »
Looks like this could run for a while - the bus fare issue in isolation seems a bit trivial to get people onto the streets, but it appears to be more a case of the straw breaking the camels back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22981809

Government U-turn fails to quell Brazil protests

Alastair Leithead reports on a night of unrest around Brazil

Brazilian authorities have failed to halt nationwide protests, despite reversing the public-transport fare increases that sparked the unrest.

Crowds blocked main roads in Sao Paulo and Brasilia, and protesters confronted police in Rio de Janeiro state shortly after the U-turn was announced.

Earlier, there were clashes before Brazil's football team played Mexico in Fortaleza in the Confederations Cup.

Protesters are angry at corruption and high spending on next year's World Cup.

Activists say they have not changed their intention to hold the biggest demonstrations yet on Thursday.

The BBC's Julia Carneiro, in Sao Paulo, says hundreds of thousands are expected on the streets there before another round of matches in the Confederations Cup.
Continue reading the main story   
“Start Quote

Just as in 1989, when we found that people in East Europe preferred individual freedom to communism, today capitalism is becoming identified with the rule of unaccountable elites”

The continued protests come after the authorities in the two biggest cities, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, said they would reverse the public-transport fare increases.

Sao Paulo mayor Fernando Haddad said the reversal would be a "big sacrifice" and said other investments would have to be cut.

Rio mayor Eduardo Paes made a similar point, saying the lower transport prices would cost the city 500m reals ($225m; £145m) a year.

The mayors of Cuiaba, Recife, Joao Pessoa and other cities have already announced a reduction in bus fares in response to the protests.

But the protesters were unmoved by the gesture.

"It's not really about the price [of transport] any more," said 18-year-old student Camila Sena, at a protest in Rio de Janeiro's sister city of Niteroi.

"People are so disgusted with the system, so fed up that now we're demanding change."

One demonstration in the city of Belo Horizonte continued for more than 10 hours.

Police fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse protesters in the north-eastern city of Fortaleza on Wednesday after at least 30,000 people rallied there.

Clashes erupted when a protest march was stopped by police. Several people were injured, including police officers.Access to the stadium was blocked for at least 30 minutes, but police later allowed people to get in ahead of the game which started at 16:00 local time (19:00 GMT).

The BBC's Ben Smith in Fortaleza says that during the protest some demonstrators carried banners reading: "A teacher is worth more than Neymar", in a reference to Brazil's star footballer who played and scored against Mexico.

Before the match, Neymar spoke in favour of the protesters, saying in a message on Facebook: "I'm Brazilian and I love my country. I have a family and friends who live in Brazil. For that reason, I want a Brazil which is more just, safer, healthier and more honest.

"The only way I can represent and defend Brazil is on the pitch, playing football. From now on, I will enter the field inspired by this movement."

Football legend Pele urged demonstrators to end the protests. "Let's forget all this commotion happening in Brazil, and let's remember how the Brazilian squad is our country and our blood," he said.

The current unrest is the biggest since 1992, when people took to the streets to demand the impeachment of then-President Fernando Collor de Mello.

Vice-President Michel Temer cut short a visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories on Wednesday to return to Brazil.

President Dilma Rousseff has said she was proud that so many people were fighting for a better country.

Many of the demonstrators have complained of the huge sums spent on construction for the World Cup and the 2016 Olympics, which will be hosted by Rio de Janeiro.

The dilemma for the political leadership is how to answer so many different concerns among a vast group of people with momentum and social media on their side, correspondents say.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 06:57:49 pm »
sounds like crazy stuff going on over there, with no-one really knowing how things could pan out.

here's an interesting audio interview here with Tim Vickery about it.
the interview starts at about 1m15s:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

Vickery also mentions the Brazilian crowd booing Blatter and the Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff.
at one point Blatter starts asking the crowd for some respect and 'fair play'.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HRjqBVVi6Y?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1HRjqBVVi6Y?fs=1</a>

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 02:15:08 pm »
An estimated 2 million people on the streets protesting...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/21/brazil-protests-president-emergency-meeting
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Anwer

• off
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »

Anyone know what this says exactly though?
this is not a signature, go away

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 04:04:13 pm »
I'm not really a Portuguese speaker but I understand a bit:

How was the World Cup logo created?

Tourist arrives in Rio
Delays at the airport and with transportation
High prices, exploitation, trickery
Prostitution, trafficking, assault police

Pollution, misery, corruption and lack of investment in education! This is the land of football and the sixth largest economy in the world!
DAMMIT!

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 04:07:43 pm »

Anyone know what this says exactly though?

This is a rough translation since I don't speak portuguese but it's a bit like spanish!

"How was the Cup logo created? 

First Face: Tourist arrives at Rio
Second Face: Long Delay at Airport at transit
Third Face: High Prices, Explotation and "Malandragem" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malandragem)
Fourth Face: Prostitution, Traffic, Assaults
Fifth Face: ----

POLUTION, MISERY, CORRUPTION AND LACK OF INVESTMENT IN EDUCATION!!! THIS IS THE COUNTRY OF FOOTBALL AND THE SIXTH LARGEST ECONOMY OF THE WORLD!!!"

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 07:37:29 pm »

Vickery also mentions the Brazilian crowd booing Blatter and the Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff.
at one point Blatter starts asking the crowd for some respect and 'fair play'.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HRjqBVVi6Y?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1HRjqBVVi6Y?fs=1</a>

Well Blatter can go and do one.

what I get from these Brasilian protests is that people is tired of all the bullshit from politicians in general, corruption and not actually getting what you invest in your own country (via taxes). Blatter just want to fills his pockets with the event being held in Brasil, because even though a legacy project is a priority, what are you going to do with such a big stadia? play the league? and who actually is benefited with that? where do the revenues go? is not for the brasilian people, but TV, Club owners, Etc...

The IOC is not that far away from it either.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 05:02:37 am »
I'm good friends with a couple of Brazilians from what you would call the middle class and they are both vehemently supporting the protesters and are going to a local congregation of Brazilians to show their support. From what I've heard from them, there are many things wrong with the country.  The more extreme among them may be indulging in violence but my friends say that much of the violence is sparked by police and reports in Brazilian media are controlled by the government. Simply put, I have not met a single Brazilian person that does not support this movement. Such an overwhelming majority ought to mean at the very least that a LOT of people are pissed off.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline rednationals

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 12:39:05 am »
seems like the time for protest would have been when the bidding process was going on. Seems a bit late now, the money is already spent.  This is also why I think the US should host every other world cup or close to it.  There would be almost no need for any additional investment; every game could be played in 80,000 + stadiums.  If you think about it, the states of Florida, California, and Texas would each all be capable of hosting a World Cup. New York too if you include New Jersey.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:41:16 am by rednationals »

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 02:21:23 am »
Hope the protests continue and the World Cup gets abandoned.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 08:17:04 am »
FIFA's Brazil 2014 website has been hacked, with the addition of a dancing Sepp Blatter and the message "WE WANT A FAIR WORLD CUP".

http://www.fifa-brazil-2014.com/

Fantastic.  ;D

Love this :D
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #17 on: July 1, 2013, 03:53:13 pm »
https://twitter.com/changeFIFA

^ some interesting pieces and facts on there.

Some disturbing ones too...

- Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris 14h
FIFA not commenting on the worst disorder outside a FIFA final in memory. FIFA workers & volunteers affected by tear gas.

Jonny Hallam ‏@Jonny_Hallam 15h
#Riot Police firing 3 rounds from pump action #shotgun via #BBC Cameraman Steve Lammiman #Brazil pic.twitter.com/3hju41fTR7

Paul Kennedy ‏@pkedit 15h
Maracana security: 10,600 police, 7,400 soldiers, 1,300 private guards. And still there's chaos outside the stadium ...

changeFIFA ‏@changeFIFA 15h
AP Earlier: "smell of tear gas is drifting over the Maracana Stadium, making many rub their eyes with discomfort."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/confed-cup-live-ap-follows-final-day-action-1
« Last Edit: July 1, 2013, 03:55:28 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #18 on: September 9, 2018, 07:56:12 am »

What is the current craic?

Just read that Jair Bolsonaro has been stabbed.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 04:32:06 pm »
What is the current craic?

Just read that Jair Bolsonaro has been stabbed.

*fingers crossed*