Author Topic: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest  (Read 181809 times)

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest
« Reply #1240 on: May 2, 2019, 08:41:27 am »
The price difference given the offer I got was not much between the 1GB and 100mb speeds, so just opted for the faster one.

Fair enough, I was under the impression it was like £50+ per month but I hadn’t checked
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #1241 on: May 3, 2019, 02:41:30 pm »
Who would you guys recommend as a provider?

Currently with EE and getting a download speed of 76mbs. That's more than enough for what I use the internet for. Unfortunately I can't get Virgin in the area and EE are usually a bit up and down. Works great for about 3 weeks then my speed will drop right down to about 5mbs and sometimes restarting the router fixes it but other times I need to wait a day or so for it to get back up to speed.

Think I'll move away from them. Options are Sky or BT, also have plusnet and talktalk who can offer around 70mbs.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1242 on: May 3, 2019, 02:47:44 pm »
You had them check that there isn’t a fault on the line?

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #1243 on: May 3, 2019, 02:53:09 pm »
You had them check that there isn’t a fault on the line?

Yeah they ran all the checks and sent me out a new router at one point which temporarily fixed the problem but it started happening again after receiving the new router.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1244 on: May 3, 2019, 09:10:34 pm »
Who would you guys recommend as a provider?

Currently with EE and getting a download speed of 76mbs. That's more than enough for what I use the internet for. Unfortunately I can't get Virgin in the area and EE are usually a bit up and down. Works great for about 3 weeks then my speed will drop right down to about 5mbs and sometimes restarting the router fixes it but other times I need to wait a day or so for it to get back up to speed.

Think I'll move away from them. Options are Sky or BT, also have plusnet and talktalk who can offer around 70mbs.

I've been using talktalk for the past year and it has been just as good/reliable as BT was,at a loss as to why it always comes out bottom in the satisfaction tables.You can get unlimited 63mb for just £25 a month and if you call them they will often throw extra phone packages in for free.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1245 on: May 16, 2019, 07:59:46 pm »
Mines: Virgin Media

Ping: 11ms

Download: 220.84 Mbps

Upload: 12.19 Mbps
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1246 on: May 20, 2019, 02:19:17 pm »
How much is it per month if you don’t mind me asking?  Is it unlimited download?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1247 on: May 20, 2019, 05:08:17 pm »
Good value that.

Might look at it for my mum and dad.  They can’t get anything above 3mb but do now have 4G
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #1248 on: August 8, 2019, 12:47:04 pm »
Moving house next month and my current provider isn't available in my new property! So options I have are BT or Sky Fibre broadband. Only really use it for torrent downloads and streaming. Is there any major difference between them? Ta.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1249 on: August 8, 2019, 03:09:19 pm »
Moving house next month and my current provider isn't available in my new property! So options I have are BT or Sky Fibre broadband. Only really use it for torrent downloads and streaming. Is there any major difference between them? Ta.

As far as I know BT have horrendous contract conditions (18 month contracts, data limits and speed throttling)

I had SKY's regular Broadband service and even though speeds were crap (7mb/s), they didn't slow me down or have limits.

Neither will be anywhere near as fast as proper fibre (Virgin) but depending where you live you should be getting >30mb/s as a minimum.

Online Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1250 on: August 8, 2019, 03:36:55 pm »
As far as I know BT have horrendous contract conditions (18 month contracts, data limits and speed throttling)

I had SKY's regular Broadband service and even though speeds were crap (7mb/s), they didn't slow me down or have limits.

Neither will be anywhere near as fast as proper fibre (Virgin) but depending where you live you should be getting >30mb/s as a minimum.

As I'm going from a 1G download and 1G upload with Hyperoptic this is going to be a real shock  :-\

I can't get Virgin and on what broadband they state I will get speeds of about 30meg which will have to do but I don't want the throttling really.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: August 8, 2019, 03:54:53 pm »
BT don't throttle speeds or have data limits,they've not done any of that for at least 10yrs.

I switched from BT to talktalk Henry and it has been spot on,you should be able to get them if you can get the other 2.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2019, 03:56:52 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Online Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1252 on: August 8, 2019, 04:33:27 pm »
Cheers lads appreciate the help! Just found out the property doesn't even have a phone line so need to pay £60 for an installation whoever I choose! paying more than I currently do and getting a much slower internet  :butt

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1253 on: August 8, 2019, 06:56:18 pm »
Prey you're not too far away from the exchange.

Online Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: August 14, 2019, 01:04:49 pm »
Anyone on Vodafone broadband? seems quite cheap and have some good offers currently.

Any feedback on them?  :wave

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #1255 on: August 14, 2019, 02:14:19 pm »
Anyone on Vodafone broadband? seems quite cheap and have some good offers currently.

Any feedback on them?  :wave

Literally just changed to them. Was paying about £40 with EE but got the same speed of 67mbs download for about £27. Also got a free amazon echo plus and £100 gift voucher for M&S. Only had the broadband since Friday but so far it's been perfect. Usually have my PS4 connected to it, 2 phones, 2 Ipads and a firestick and it's been excellent.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1256 on: August 14, 2019, 02:43:00 pm »
That a 4G connection? Any download limit?

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #1257 on: August 14, 2019, 03:15:16 pm »
That a 4G connection? Any download limit?

Yep 4G connection and no download limit. Seems like it's only £23 now as well. Was a bit dubious about going with them after reading reviews online but I was told I could leave within 28 days if I wasn't happy and so far so good. Can't complain with that price.

Online Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: August 14, 2019, 03:23:58 pm »
Literally just changed to them. Was paying about £40 with EE but got the same speed of 67mbs download for about £27. Also got a free amazon echo plus and £100 gift voucher for M&S. Only had the broadband since Friday but so far it's been perfect. Usually have my PS4 connected to it, 2 phones, 2 Ipads and a firestick and it's been excellent.

Oh brilliant, thanks for that mate. It's heartbreaking leaving Hyperoptic but least it's still fibre I guess. It is £23 now but no echo plus I don't think but still get a £100 gift voucher but I can choose M&S or Amazon.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: August 29, 2019, 09:00:41 am »
Oh brilliant, thanks for that mate. It's heartbreaking leaving Hyperoptic

I'm in exactly the same boat. Moving from town where we have Hyperoptic so somewhere that only offers Virgin or BT. Was very impressed with the Hyperoptic service, i'm concerned about speeds and reliability of these other 2 as i work from home and so does the missus - its critical for us.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1260 on: August 29, 2019, 09:35:31 am »
I've worked from home using virgin media broadband since 2013, can't say I would question their reliability. Can only think of one occasion it's dropped out for more than an hour, and the small drop outs are few and far between.

They can be pricks like, but the service is good. I'm on the 350mb, speed is consistent.

The hub however is usually the source of arseache. I would recommend using wired connections depending on how many wifi connections there are near you.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:38:00 am by Claire. »

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1261 on: August 29, 2019, 10:28:49 am »
I've worked from home using virgin media broadband since 2013, can't say I would question their reliability. Can only think of one occasion it's dropped out for more than an hour, and the small drop outs are few and far between.

They can be pricks like, but the service is good. I'm on the 350mb, speed is consistent.

The hub however is usually the source of arseache. I would recommend using wired connections depending on how many wifi connections there are near you.

Thanks Claire.

I currently have a very good Netgear router (Nighthawk i think it is) so was planning on routing all wireless traffic from that.

Its a new estate, and i believe the only options are BT or Virgin. We had a nightmare with BT a few years back which has put my right off them.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1262 on: September 4, 2019, 10:53:38 am »
Looks like virgin it is then! Going with the 'M350' package.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1263 on: September 4, 2019, 04:23:27 pm »

Try and get yourself a friend and family recommendations

£50 off their your bill and £50 of theirs as well. Don't mind giving you one if you want

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1264 on: September 4, 2019, 05:02:24 pm »
Try and get yourself a friend and family recommendations

£50 off their your bill and £50 of theirs as well. Don't mind giving you one if you want

Does he still get the friend and family recommendation? ;D

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1265 on: January 26, 2020, 08:47:52 am »
How's this working out? I work from home and have similar experience to Claire. Only had to switch to mobile for a bit a handful of times in three years. Worth knowing where you might be able to go and work for an afternoon in an emergency fire peace of mind too!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1266 on: February 1, 2020, 10:39:54 am »
We've decided that the £60p/m virgin are taking when new subscribers pay half that and get more is taking the piss, so we're looking at moving.
I'm quite keen to try and use a router with Smarty (£20pm unlimited) or go for a three 4g broadband package. Does anyone have experience of 4G only in the house?  We tend to use a couple of tablets on youtube with the kids and maybe iplayer , rarely all three together.  Don't even really stream HD.  lack of ability to record programs may be an issue (but I don't think it will be really).

Having Sky coming to try and feed a wire into our house a few years back was a horrible experience. One we might endure with another provider if 4g doesn't work out, but as I get a free month for recommending a friend it seems worth at least a bash
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1267 on: March 24, 2020, 01:07:03 pm »
Any router recommendations?  I have a townhouse so 3 floors but not massive or anything. The router is located on the middle floor.

We had an old Netgear one for years and it was reliable and had great coverage (barring one room). We splurged on a Nest Mesh setup with router and 3 points last November. It made the problem much worse - the range was terrible; points located a room apart regularly went offline having previously offered a 'great connection.'  Even a point with line of sight with the router would often go down. A total car crash of a system which I've just boxed for return.

I'm considering the Amplifi HD mesh system but open to other suggestions (not necessarily mesh).

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1268 on: March 26, 2020, 09:24:32 am »
Actually, screw the amplifi mesh system. Since I posted it’s gone from £335 to £460 on amazon. Jesus.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #1269 on: March 28, 2020, 07:57:58 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread ...

I'm Looking to get broadband set up and I have a phone line coming into the house in what was previously a bedroom but that was turned into the bathroom before we moved in, I can't see a master socket anywhere else in the house would I have to pay to get one installed or does that come as part of the deal when signing up?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1270 on: March 28, 2020, 08:17:29 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread ...

I'm Looking to get broadband set up and I have a phone line coming into the house in what was previously a bedroom but that was turned into the bathroom before we moved in, I can't see a master socket anywhere else in the house would I have to pay to get one installed or does that come as part of the deal when signing up?

Not sure but probably,you would need to give openreach a call.

https://www.openreach.com/network-services/altering-our-network/

Reading a bit more there's no reason to stop you from moving it yourself or getting a mate to do it if you're not confident enough,it'd save you £150 - the kit you need to do the job.

https://www.btengineerlondon.co.uk/can-i-move-my-master-bt-socket/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:22:38 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: March 31, 2020, 03:45:17 pm »
Any router recommendations?  I have a townhouse so 3 floors but not massive or anything. The router is located on the middle floor.

We had an old Netgear one for years and it was reliable and had great coverage (barring one room). We splurged on a Nest Mesh setup with router and 3 points last November. It made the problem much worse - the range was terrible; points located a room apart regularly went offline having previously offered a 'great connection.'  Even a point with line of sight with the router would often go down. A total car crash of a system which I've just boxed for return.

I'm considering the Amplifi HD mesh system but open to other suggestions (not necessarily mesh).

I've got a Google Wifi router. Really can't fault it - signal is excellent and the app means settings are much easier to change compared to a standard router.

If you have a big house they can be used in a mesh network set-up.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1272 on: March 31, 2020, 08:09:09 pm »
Posted in the Ask a question thread but here might be better. My WiFi is painfully slow at the moment. Can’t even get my tv connected. Is that just demand with everyone being at home and using multiple devices? Ran a speed test and download speed was 1.75 which I think is very poor?

Weirdly the router is in a cupboard under the stairs as somehow that’s where the main phone point is.

It’s generally been decent enough in the last few years but trying to stream things is painful and working from home is slow too. Don’t know if something has happened with my router or whether it’s just the extra demand, plus all the neighbours being in at the same time too etc.

Any thoughts gratefully received! Thanks

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1273 on: March 31, 2020, 08:16:38 pm »
Hi nick

I'm sure Craig gonna help you better than me but for time being, download Netgear Wifi Analytics app on your mobile

Craig said about changing your channel, this app will show you what channels available and best but also will tel you performance in each room etc

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1274 on: March 31, 2020, 08:18:04 pm »
Also what router you have, on back will have model number

mine is sr101 (with sky too), just note what it is

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1275 on: March 31, 2020, 08:19:03 pm »
Also what router you have, on back will have model number

mine is sr101 (with sky too), just note what it is

sr102

Sorry for the duplicate threads!

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1276 on: March 31, 2020, 08:28:21 pm »
sr102

Sorry for the duplicate threads!
That's ok, that means your stuck with 2.4ghz, that's ok though as the 5ghz would only boost in one room potentially

it would be good to know what your suggested speed should be though Nick, if everyone near you gets 1.7mb it probably means your miles from exchange and all you can get

so find out what you pay for first and we'll look into what others near you get

the app above will help but one step at a time

- find out what yur package is
- lets see what others get in your area
- lets see what app says speed is in your home, room by room (and the cupboard)
- then change channel etc if need be

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: March 31, 2020, 08:37:56 pm »
I have tried this with my own wifi and two friends and its fairly accurate

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband-speed-in-my-area.html

put your postcode in and see what results say, i.e. below im looking at virgin and talktalk figures and they correspond with mine

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1278 on: March 31, 2020, 08:39:25 pm »
Ok, tried the speed thing again and it ranged from 5.8 to 7.6 (including the room I was in earlier when it said 7.5).

It was actually better in my living room than under the stairs right next to the router. Ran the test on my Sky account page and it claimed the speed is 12.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1279 on: March 31, 2020, 08:59:35 pm »
Ok, tried the speed thing again and it ranged from 5.8 to 7.6 (including the room I was in earlier when it said 7.5).

It was actually better in my living room than under the stairs right next to the router. Ran the test on my Sky account page and it claimed the speed is 12.
It was 1.75 earlier though?

The sky one is meaningless, ignore that

even if you're getting 6mb it's still enough to do what you want to do, as long it's not hovering around 1-2mb just as often though.....

im not sure changing your wifi channel will do much, not unless your in a densley populated area and there are many on that channel, the app will show you that

Lets see what Craig says, i think the telly/smarthub is perhaps a separate issue to do with no updates and tv perhaps over 3 years old?