Author Topic: Manic Street Preachers - NEWS  (Read 25437 times)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Manic Street Preachers 21st anniversary...
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 01:19:31 pm »
Manic Street Preachers at the O2 Arena (London) 17th December 2011

This song keeps going round in my head.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/41H8rmPIQ54" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/41H8rmPIQ54</a>

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Convectuoso

• Kopite
  • RUM HAM!!!! I'm Sorry!!!!
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 07:29:44 pm »
Would have loved to be at that gig. A few of my favs are

PCP/Faster/Sepia/Love Torn Us Under

Later dudes, S you in your A's Don't wear a C and J all over your B's

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 07:16:43 pm »
Got the book Death of a Polaroid as a present today , really good for any Manics fans.Superbly put together.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2011, 09:28:10 am »
Incredible band. Just getting back into them after neglecting them for a couple of years .
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2011, 09:28:05 pm »
Got the book Death of a Polaroid as a present today , really good for any Manics fans.Superbly put together.

Got a couple of good reviews on Amazon that. I saw Nicky Wire talking about it when he was on "Something for the Weekend" and James was laughing about how passionate Nicky gets when talking about Polaroid photography.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 10:02:05 am »
I've started my week by listening to 'Holy Bible' all the way through, and I'm feeling possessed.

Greatest Rock Band since The Clash?

Discuss.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 10:06:40 am »
I've started my week by listening to 'Holy Bible' all the way through, and I'm feeling possessed.

Discuss.

I'd agree Mike, others wouldn't hear of it mind. Certainly one of the very best live rock acts since if anything.

Is it sad knowing all the lyrics to 'IfwhiteAmerica..." ?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 10:09:18 am »
Epic band, enormous output of high quality songs.

Saw them at the O2 gig in December where they were absolutely superb.

Saw them again in April/May in Amsterdam at the Paradiso where they were absolutely superb.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:27 am »
Epic band, enormous output of high quality songs.

Saw them at the O2 gig in December where they were absolutely superb.

Saw them again in April/May in Amsterdam at the Paradiso where they were absolutely superb.

Think I've seen them 5 times over the years on different tours and never felt let down. Always put on a show. One of the most mermorable was the recent JFPL tour when they played every song on the album in track order, something I've never heard any band do, followed by a greatest hits setlist. Immense.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 08:49:34 pm »
Great band, so many brilliant numbers. Still say A Design for Life was the greatest song from the 1990's era.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2012, 09:44:11 pm »
Only started listening to them when they released If You Tolerate This - I had heard songs from them before when in my mates car as he was a big fan of theirs but never really caught on at the time. I started listening to them more though and ended up with all of their albums.

Favourite song I think is either If You Tolerate This or The Everlasting, though I like almost all of their songs. I was actually quite surprised when I was driving along with my Dad in the car one day (he was probably about 65 at the time), The Everlasting came on and he asked who it was singing it - I ended up having to buy him the album :)
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »
Generation Terrorists
Gold Against The Soul
Everything Must Go
The Holy Bible
This Is My Truth

Went to the Manics Leaving The 20th Century gig at the Millenium Stadium, with a few mates, & that was boss night, love to see them at the Echo Arena one day.
#Sausages

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »
Generation Terrorists
Gold Against The Soul
Everything Must Go
The Holy Bible
This Is My Truth

Went to the Manics Leaving The 20th Century gig at the Millenium Stadium, with a few mates, & that was boss night, love to see them at the Echo Arena one day.

I'd have to include JFPL and I'd have THB much higher in the list.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2012, 12:32:28 pm »
Great band, so many brilliant numbers. Still say A Design for Life was the greatest song from the 1990's era.

It's up there.  But in my opinion another Manics song, Little Baby Nothing, takes that title.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2012, 01:24:43 pm »
It's up there.  But in my opinion another Manics song, Little Baby Nothing, takes that title.

+1

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2012, 06:02:12 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6NN6wfkTqR4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6NN6wfkTqR4</a>

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 10:26:10 pm »
I've an 8Gb USB stick in my car stereo and I would say that about 2Gb must be Manic Street Preachers songs - I could listen to them all day! The problem is I keep going around in circles as to which one is my favouite, a few months ago it was "Your Love is not enough" and "Autumn Song" from the "Send away the Tigers" album. Then it was "Motorcycle Emptiness" and "Tsunami", "Design for Life" and "If you Tolerate this" are always there or there abouts. But at the moment its "Door to the River" and the epic "Jackie Collins Existential Question Time", such a great guitar riff. Perhaps its the Celtic blood but I really connect with these guys.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8AcAoAX4RSo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8AcAoAX4RSo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v9XkZ7y76wI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/v9XkZ7y76wI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 02:10:37 am »

Discuss.

Think it depends how you define it really. Off the top of my head think Radiohead and Joy Division are streets ahead of them but dunno if you would count them as rock. Then there are one off albums like Surfer Rosa/Definitely Maybe/Downward Spiral that I would put ahead of any of the albums they put out. Can't say I really agree with you on the whole.

They are definitely under-rated though and deserve massive credit for maintaining such a high quality of output over such a long period despite what they must have gone through personally with the whole Richey situation. JDB has got to be up there as well as one of the best technical lead guitarist/singers of the last couple of decades.

Offline YNWAdam

• Main Stander
  • Goddamn this noise inside my head.
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 03:22:37 am »
Think it depends how you define it really. Off the top of my head think Radiohead and Joy Division are streets ahead of them but dunno if you would count them as rock. Then there are one off albums like Surfer Rosa/Definitely Maybe/Downward Spiral that I would put ahead of any of the albums they put out. Can't say I really agree with you on the whole.

They are definitely under-rated though and deserve massive credit for maintaining such a high quality of output over such a long period despite what they must have gone through personally with the whole Richey situation. JDB has got to be up there as well as one of the best technical lead guitarist/singers of the last couple of decades.

Completely agree with this, (even the albums listed, The Downward Spiral being my favourite album ever, and Surfa Rosa being one of my favourite).
'Rock' is massively vague.  Hard, punk, metal, experimental, alternative, art, industrial, garage, blues; to name a few. But the Manics, especially in the Holy Bible, definitely has that punk vibe. Massively underated band, and The Holy Bible is a massively underated album. 'Yes' is one of my favourite songs.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 09:20:29 am »
and The Holy Bible is a massively underated album. 'Yes' is one of my favourite songs.

Dunno why you think that mate, it's usually lauded by critics as one of the very best albums of it's era and always pops up in those
mainstream media lists of the 'the best 20/50/most important albums of the last decade/90's/rock etc.
I have a feeling that JFPL might be talked about as one that went under the radar a bit in a few years, superb album.

Offline YNWAdam

• Main Stander
  • Goddamn this noise inside my head.
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 02:45:59 pm »
Dunno why you think that mate, it's usually lauded by critics as one of the very best albums of it's era and always pops up in those
mainstream media lists of the 'the best 20/50/most important albums of the last decade/90's/rock etc.
I have a feeling that JFPL might be talked about as one that went under the radar a bit in a few years, superb album.

Yeah, maybe underrated was the wrong word. I just feel they're massively under appreciated among most day to day people - I think a lot don't think of the Manics. Maybe that's just my stupid mates ;D
Agree with you on JFPL though. Great album.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2012, 02:13:20 am »
Been re-listening to a lot of their stuff lately. There By The Grace Of God is a fantastic late-career single.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 01:41:18 pm »

Discuss.

I started my week by listening to 'Generation Terrorists' all the way through, and I'm feeling possessed.

Discuss.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2012, 01:44:42 pm »
Been re-listening to a lot of their stuff lately. There By The Grace Of God is a fantastic late-career single.

I despair! :butt

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »
Love 'em.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2012, 03:14:46 pm »
Dreadful. Up there in the over rated stakes, along with U2 and Coldplay
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2012, 03:27:56 pm »

:lmao

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2012, 03:28:25 pm »

Okay.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2012, 07:43:47 am »

What about Kasabian?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2012, 10:53:09 am »
Discuss.

Nowhere near.

Not even a tenth of the musical diversity of The Clash, who took in punk, reggae, trad rock and roll, garage (the 60s sense, not UK Craig David stylee obviously), hip-hop, dub, probably even a disco beat or two from Topper.

Decent band, nothing more. right place at the right time with Everything Must Go, which last time I listened to, I was shocked by how poor it was - Kevin Carter, other than highlighting the work of the titular person, is woeful, Australia, horrible clunky tune, overblown string arrangements everywhere, etc. etc.

Holy Bible is pretty good, and there's great tracks off the first two as well, but since then...their best musical moment was their namecheck in Half Man Half Biscuit's 'Lock Up Your Mountain Bikes'.

Fair play to them for carrying on so long. Fair play for going to Cuba and being all anti-capitalist, and then doing a Sainsbury's ad. Righteous.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2012, 11:11:12 am »
Nowhere near.

Not even a tenth of the musical diversity of The Clash, who took in punk, reggae, trad rock and roll, garage (the 60s sense, not UK Craig David stylee obviously), hip-hop, dub, probably even a disco beat or two from Topper.

Decent band, nothing more. right place at the right time with Everything Must Go, which last time I listened to, I was shocked by how poor it was - Kevin Carter, other than highlighting the work of the titular person, is woeful, Australia, horrible clunky tune, overblown string arrangements everywhere, etc. etc.

Holy Bible is pretty good, and there's great tracks off the first two as well, but since then...their best musical moment was their namecheck in Half Man Half Biscuit's 'Lock Up Your Mountain Bikes'.

Fair play to them for carrying on so long. Fair play for going to Cuba and being all anti-capitalist, and then doing a Sainsbury's ad. Righteous.

I think the question said 'since The Clash' and all you've done is confirm the wondrous and untouchable majesty of The Clash, without offering any better successor than the Manics. Back of the class for you - you didn't read the question properly.  ;)

As for the Sainsburys ad; well it was actually a Paralympic thing and here's what they did and why they did it:wave

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

I think the question said 'since The Clash' and all you've done is confirm the wondrous and untouchable majesty of The Clash, without offering any better successor than the Manics. Back of the class for you - you didn't read the question properly.  ;)

As for the Sainsburys ad; well it was actually a Paralympic thing and here's what they did and why they did it:wave

Ok, fair do's, back of the class for me. I'll throw paper aeroplanes with Nicky Wire's lyrics on at the teacher...

I did think they'd probably done the Sainsbury's ad because it was linked to the Paralympics and if they've given the money away fair enough.

I think there's probably lots of bands between the Clash and the Manics that I like more as a band, not all of them could lay claim to 'greatest rock band' though, as they don't have that kind of sweeping ambition, which seems unique to a few bands. It takes a certain type of arrogance to have that political edge and grandoise ambition, reconciling the mainstream music with left wing politics.

At least I didn't say U2 :)

On the plus side for the MSP, they do have the tunes for a cracking best of...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2012, 01:22:38 pm »
Just found this gem from '96, Manics live on "Later Jools Holland" - complete with string section!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YyKwkM5OXyw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YyKwkM5OXyw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2012, 04:49:41 pm »
Nowhere near.

Completely disagree with almost everything you've written there, EMG was a fantastic album considering they had lost their main songwriter aswell as the trauma that ensued from his disappearance. Some of the arrangements and lyrical quality is far above anything else that was around at the time in mainstream rock / indie music.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #74 on: July 9, 2013, 11:57:55 am »
Is this the best Manic Street Preachers thread to be using?

New album, Rewing the Film, to be released on September 26th - a short tour will support this release.  The first single, Show Me the Wonder, will be released on September 9th.  For now, the title track (ft. Richard Hawley):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PwwtOd3pMlk&amp;sns=tw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PwwtOd3pMlk&amp;sns=tw</a>

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 9, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »
Is this the best Manic Street Preachers thread to be using?

New album, Rewing the Film, to be released on September 26th - a short tour will support this release.  The first single, Show Me the Wonder, will be released on September 9th.  For now, the title track (ft. Richard Hawley):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PwwtOd3pMlk&amp;sns=tw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PwwtOd3pMlk&amp;sns=tw</a>

Good stuff, hadn't heard anything about a new album.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 9, 2013, 01:05:41 pm »
What a beautiful song and poignant video that is also.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #77 on: July 9, 2013, 03:44:09 pm »
Good stuff, hadn't heard anything about a new album.

It sounds as though there's two records in the pipeline - something acoustic and stripped back and somthing 'rockier'.  Thatsaid, it might not be a huge surprised if they decide to combine the best bits of both into one conventional-length album.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2013, 11:55:30 pm »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 12:13:07 am »
The single, Show Me the Wonder:

https://soundcloud.com/columbia-records-uk/manic-street-preachers-show-me

Nice one. Not sure about that, a bit so-so. Maybe it'll grow on me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:14:39 am by Phil M »