Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1394333 times)

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #4440 on: February 4, 2019, 08:33:48 am »
The mindset is a bit mental.

Saw an LFC fan on the BBC comment section (I know), saying that City are looking 'frightening' again. This after a Phil McNulty article which finished with 'the champions are back in the mood to fight to hold on to their crown.'

Imperious, unstoppable, frightening, score for fun.

They lost 2-1 to Newcastle less than a week ago.

But that was the match before last and can be totally disregarded... well I guess that’s what is meant to happen. It’s all pretty much nonsense.
Internet terrorist

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #4441 on: February 4, 2019, 08:34:13 am »
Would be nice for us to keep that 5 point gap for most of the season.

I think it's vitally important that we still have the 5 point gap when they play Chelsea on Sunday. If we don't I fear momentum will swing back in their favour cos after this week they've got a pretty nice run in.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4442 on: February 4, 2019, 08:34:20 am »
to think- we have a game in hand over City AND STILL we're top! ;D
What a great season we're having!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #4443 on: February 4, 2019, 08:36:20 am »
The mindset is a bit mental.

Saw an LFC fan on the BBC comment section (I know), saying that City are looking 'frightening' again. This after a Phil McNulty article which finished with 'the champions are back in the mood to fight to hold on to their crown.'

Imperious, unstoppable, frightening, score for fun.

They lost 2-1 to Newcastle less than a week ago.

its always fun when the ref even lets you score with your arms

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4444 on: February 4, 2019, 08:37:58 am »
Just turned SSN on and immediately turned it off. Presenter was talking about todays footy and how Leicester had dented our title challenge!!! We went from 4 to 5 pts clear, how the fuck is that denting it? City winning and then us drawing is a dent, not them losing and is getting a point in difficult conditions.
Hmmm... wonder what they call City losing to Leicester then- AND City losing the day before while we gained a point the next day?
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4445 on: February 4, 2019, 08:38:48 am »
I think it's vitally important that we still have the 5 point gap when they play Chelsea on Sunday. If we don't I fear momentum will swing back in their favour cos after this week they've got a pretty nice run in.

As City found out to their cost at Newcastle away, there are no easy games in the second half of the season.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #4446 on: February 4, 2019, 08:56:43 am »
I think sometimes a little bit perspective is needed. Liverpool FC are not the favourites to win this league. The clear favourites are Manchester City, champions last season with a record points tally and coached by one of the best managers in the game, if not the best. They have the experience of three title wins in the last 7 years, came second twice in that span and won four domestic cups as well. They have a proven track record of getting over the line when it matters. They have a great mix of experienced players and young skillful players.

Liverpool FC has not challenged for the league in five years and when they did those five years ago, it was more the case of a perfect storm than gradual development of a team over years. Under new manager Jürgen Klopp, Liverpool have gradually improved, but have yet to show that they are a team which can win the biggest prizes. So far, Liverpool have finished 8th, 4th and again 4th in the League, while reaching one domestic cup final (lost on penalties against ManCity) and two European Cup Finals (both lost 3-1 against Spanish serial winners Sevilla FC and Real Madrid CF). While we undoubtedly have a really exciting mix of young, aspiring players, we do not have the trophy-winning experience in our ranks that ManCity possesses.

The clear favourite for the league is Manchester City. Don't let that 2 or 5-point-gap fool you, we are facing an uphill battle and have been battling it incredibly well all season. Our points-per-game average is a staggering 2.54. We have one single loss in the league all season, coming in the toughest away match possible at ManCity. Both teams are going to drop points until the end of the season. We have six games against top half opposition left this season (4 at home). ManCity have four games against top half opposition left (2 at home). This could well be enough for them to make up the gap. So keep yourself strapped-in, because this is going to the wire and we will have to use that points-gap.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4447 on: February 4, 2019, 08:57:47 am »
Our supporters have developed a most unfortunate mindset- wanting to chase the league instead of leading it... *smh*

They're happy and content when we're 2nd or 3rd and full of gusto.... but when we're leading, they see failure and loss around every corner. Little do they know- they contribute to the nervousness.

Me- I keep my eyes on the prize and look forward to every match- whether we're out of form or it's a banana-skin or a top team next, 'cause that's what Football/Life is about. Enjoying where your are CURRENTLY- not tomorrow or yesterday. As Dale Carnegie once said: "The load of Yesterday, added to that of Tomorrow- carried Today, makes the strongest stumble."
"My head doesn't work that way". Well yeah- you think it is easy?
I also have my doubts- the only thing is that since I was a very young lad, I learned the principle of "togetherness", cause-and-effect so I know my actions affect those who hear/see me. That's why I shift my focus and "forget" about the negatives and the potential negatives insofar as it's harmless. Usually- that's the "I say what I feel" types who can only focus on satisfying their immediate need to vent.
Simple maths- I refrain from infecting others with doubts and negativity by withholding mine("subtraction" from the total) and not posting it. I try to keep the saying in mind: If you can't say something worthwhile, it's better to stay quiet.

When we were chasing City- most had no fear and only looked ahead ie: forward because there was something to focus on, BUT as soon as we took the lead, they started fretting about losing because now they had the luxury of taking their eyes OFF what's in front of them- The League and looking back- squarely putting it on City(and now Spurs).
That is our problem.. we're so used to the top-4 mindset that we can only look behind us ie: backwards- when we're ahead.

There is no desire to look forward. That is what our league-winning sides had going for them- looking towards the League title- not at whoever is front of them and that's why when they lead- they had an ever present goal AHEAD of them. Keep your eyes on the League and enjoy the journey.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 09:56:41 am by the_red_pill »

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #4448 on: February 4, 2019, 09:14:22 am »
Some advice for people who can't handle the race:

We gained a point on City in the previous match day. Even if City gain a point or two against us on a match-day, that's not the be-all and end-all because you're looking at one match day only. If you look at a two match context it could be like this:

Week 1: City reduce gap by 2 points
Week 2: Liverpool win and City lose
Total affect after 2 weeks: Liverpool increase gap by 1 point = 6 point lead.

So, no fret. You got to look at the bigger picture. Sometimes that gap is going to get smaller before it grows again... just look at how Spurs are now down to 7 and sometimes it goes back to 9. There's no reason to panic either way. I'd even be optimistic if it was City who had a 4 point lead on us, cos there's a long way to go.

Isn't it amazing that it's us with the lead? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #4449 on: February 4, 2019, 09:18:15 am »
I think sometimes a little bit perspective is needed. Liverpool FC are not the favourites to win this league. The clear favourites are Manchester City, champions last season with a record points tally and coached by one of the best managers in the game, if not the best.

Sorry but I do not think that is true right now.

We are the favourites because we are ahead and we are rightfully leading the pack this season. Whether that's 2 points or 5 points by the end of the night.
We have proven to be worthy of our place at the top of the pack and I think it's dis-respectful to our lads to say that we aren't the best team in the league and favourites to win it right now....

None of what you said is not true don't  get me wrong. City ARE fantastic. So is their coach. They have experience in winning the league and have an aura about them it seems some cannot look past to see their frailties......you don't lose to Palace, Leicester, Chelsea and Newcastle without having weaknesses.

At the beginning of the season or in October or November, I would absolutely agree with you. But with 14 games left and having been in this season long enough to still be at the top of the pack I don't think we have to be scared to say we are the best in the league and are best-placed to win it given our showings THIS season.

If we fail we fail but we take it on the chin knowing that for a good part of the season we were the best and we were looking most likely to go on and win it like we are now.

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4450 on: February 4, 2019, 09:44:58 am »
Nobody wants to be top of the league for a fair chunk of the season and then see their team wither away, or hard done by through injuries and lousy referees.  To be nervous is to be human.  Personally, I'm very human right now.

And I'll be gutted if we miss out, regardless of whether it's been a great season or not.  Too many want us to fail, and too many will gleefully scream "losers!" at us if we come up short.  I've had enough of that bullshit, and I bet Klopp has too. 

I agree with Carra-ton - we need to be angry now.  I want to see the league shit itself all over again in this final third of the season.  I want fresh silverware in our trophy room.  We're not up against a rival; we're not even up against a football club.  We're up against a gang of despicable, self entitled tossers who the entire media has quickly fallen in line behind to crown as their new darlings.  I want to make them all suffer and cry their little hearts out as we lift that fucking title.

Second just isn't an option for me this season.  I'm going to spend the next four months sick with nerves.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4451 on: February 4, 2019, 10:02:50 am »
Nobody wants to be top of the league for a fair chunk of the season and then see their team wither away, or hard done by through injuries and lousy referees.  To be nervous is to be human.  Personally, I'm very human right now.

And I'll be gutted if we miss out, regardless of whether it's been a great season or not.  Too many want us to fail, and too many will gleefully scream "losers!" at us if we come up short.  I've had enough of that bullshit, and I bet Klopp has too. 

I agree with Carra-ton - we need to be angry now.  I want to see the league shit itself all over again in this final third of the season.  I want fresh silverware in our trophy room.  We're not up against a rival; we're not even up against a football club.  We're up against a gang of despicable, self entitled tossers who the entire media has quickly fallen in line behind to crown as their new darlings.  I want to make them all suffer and cry their little hearts out as we lift that fucking title.

Second just isn't an option for me this season.  I'm going to spend the next four months sick with nerves.
That is no problem at all. Really it isn't. We're human. I'm also going to be nervy- I'm just going to keep myself composed and feel nervy- privately and mention it here and there.

The issue comes in when- and I'm not saying you do this- it is screamed from the proverbial rooftops everytime someone in this predicament posts or phones, staunchly defended(since emotions are involved) and this gets worse when there's a hiccup. Bad emotions rot. That's what they do; and "rot" isn't good, cause it spreads.
It really has a bad effect, cause this "brings everyone else down" and pretty soon some are arguing over nothing- opposites are attracted to each other and it's just bad.
Yes we're human, but some have no concept of, or interest in the effect this has outside of themselves. They think it's just "an opinion"- like they exist in a vacuum.
It just does not do anyone any good- except the person who can release some pressure.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 10:11:52 am by the_red_pill »

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4452 on: February 4, 2019, 10:11:10 am »

If they get to the semis of the FA Cup and CL, they could have 9 games in April

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #4453 on: February 4, 2019, 10:20:34 am »
It is Feb 3rd, we've got 14 games left. Certainly not the time to be worrying about winning the title or not.

This is pretty much what everyone should be telling themselves.

The people who are stressing about a draw at Leicester need to calm down. There's more than a third of the season still left to play.

The people who thought we could win the league after City got beat by Newcastle need to calm down too. There's more than a third of the season still left to play.

A draw at home to Leicester is not fatal to our title chances. Conversely a 7 point lead wouldn't have meant that the league was almost ours.

The same type of logic applies to tonight's game. A win would be good. But even a loss wouldn't rule us out of the title race.

I understand that people want this league win more than anything from a footballing perspective. I do too. But we need to remember that there's a long way to go in this season yet. There'll be twists and turns during these last 14 games. Wanting us to win the league so much may not be a great thing. Eventually that pressure and tension has got to transmit itself to the players and manager. Whether that's through people at the ground, interactions with people the players see on a day to day basis or people on social media.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4454 on: February 4, 2019, 10:45:46 am »
I'm not sure what all this talk of man city's run-in being easy came from.

Crystal Palace
Tottenham
Burnley
Leicester
Brighton

I know that if we had that type of run-in I'd be concerned. Tottenham will tough enough. But it's the other four that should concern them. They are exactly the type of teams that raise their game against the big teams regardless of their league position or even if they've been relegated.

Crystal Palace, Burnley and Brighton all away and Leicester home, throw in possible CL semi final games. If man city aren't at least 7 or 8 points clear going into their last 5 games they're going to fuck it up.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4455 on: February 4, 2019, 10:49:02 am »
I don't get this whole "media is against us" vibe.  The media want a title race so if we drop points, even when City drop more, they want to put the pressure on.  I think the views would be the other way round if the positions were the other way round.  It's the reason they keep wanting to add Spurs to the title race.  The more teams involved, the better it is for the media.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4456 on: February 4, 2019, 10:59:59 am »
You know what I'm not buying this everyone wants us to lose thing. Its more the fact that we are top and have been for a while, and its more of a story, more drama for the idea if we fall away, or City catch us. If it was us in 2nd, it would be the same. If you think back 12 months, City were running away with the league, the transfer window was shut, and you have 24 hour media coverage - what was there to talk about or hype up ?
I heard people say the referees want City to win the league too. Do people honestly believe that is the case ?  really. Every team thinks ref's have it in for them,  you hear City fans when they draw or lose moaning about refs. You hear the smaller teams say refs favour the big sides. No one talks about fortunate decisions that go their way, just the bad ones and the belief its all a big conspiracy. Whoever wins this thing will deserve to win it.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4457 on: February 4, 2019, 11:01:48 am »
Our supporters have developed a most unfortunate mindset- wanting to chase the league instead of leading it... *smh*

They're happy and content when we're 2nd or 3rd and full of gusto.... but when we're leading, they see failure and loss around every corner. Little do they know- they contribute to the nervousness.

Me- I keep my eyes on the prize and look forward to every match- whether we're out of form or it's a banana-skin or a top team next, 'cause that's what Football/Life is about. Enjoying where your are CURRENTLY- not tomorrow or yesterday. As Dale Carnegie once said: "The load of Yesterday, added to that of Tomorrow- carried Today, makes the strongest stumble."
"My head doesn't work that way". Well yeah- you think it is easy?
I also have my doubts- the only thing is that since I was a very young lad, I learned the principle of "togetherness", cause-and-effect so I know my actions affect those who hear/see me. That's why I shift my focus and "forget" about the negatives and the potential negatives insofar as it's harmless. Usually- that's the "I say what I feel" types who can only focus on satisfying their immediate need to vent.
Simple maths- I refrain from infecting others with doubts and negativity by withholding mine("subtraction" from the total) and not posting it. I try to keep the saying in mind: If you can't say something worthwhile, it's better to stay quiet.

When we were chasing City- most had no fear and only looked ahead ie: forward because there was something to focus on, BUT as soon as we took the lead, they started fretting about losing because now they had the luxury of taking their eyes OFF what's in front of them- The League and looking back- squarely putting it on City(and now Spurs).
That is our problem.. we're so used to the top-4 mindset that we can only look behind us ie: backwards- when we're ahead.

There is no desire to look forward. That is what our league-winning sides had going for them- looking towards the League title- not at whoever is front of them and that's why when they lead- they had an ever present goal AHEAD of them. Keep your eyes on the League and enjoy the journey.

Worry about tomorrow and you will miss out on today's ride. Live for the moment.
I know- easier said than done but really is one game at time. Just enjoy the games regardless of the result since it is only February.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4458 on: February 4, 2019, 11:07:42 am »

Could be important but they have the squad to cope with it. Last night they had Sane, Mahrez, Jesus, Stones and Danilo on the bench.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4459 on: February 4, 2019, 11:14:58 am »
Could be important but they have the squad to cope with it. Last night they had Sane, Mahrez, Jesus, Stones and Danilo on the bench.

Which one of them is replacing Fernandinho who seems to be their most important player? He's 33 and basically played two positions yesterday. I hope he plays 90 minutes at Goodison on Wednesday and then again against Chelsea on Sunday. Chelsea could definitely cause him problems off the back of three fairly intense games in a week.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4460 on: February 4, 2019, 11:16:43 am »

If they have 9 games in April then they wont win all their league games. They have lost 4 and we have just left January. Clearly their squad can only cope to a point.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4461 on: February 4, 2019, 11:16:52 am »
Which one of them is replacing Fernandinho who seems to be their most important player? He's 33 and basically played two positions yesterday. I hope he plays 90 minutes at Goodison on Wednesday and then again against Chelsea on Sunday. Chelsea could definitely cause him problems off the back of three fairly intense games in a week.

Agree with all of that. Hes probably the one player they'd sturggle to replace but we also have a number of irreplaceable players who've played alot of football for us this season and still have a lot of football to come.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #4462 on: February 4, 2019, 11:17:55 am »

Crystal Palace
Tottenham
Burnley
Leicester
Brighton

I know that if we had that type of run-in I'd be concerned. Tottenham will tough enough. But it's the other four that should concern them. They are exactly the type of teams that raise their game against the big teams regardless of their league position or even if they've been relegated.

Crystal Palace, Burnley and Brighton all away and Leicester home, throw in possible CL semi final games. If man city aren't at least 7 or 8 points clear going into their last 5 games they're going to fuck it up.

What I don't like about the league (other than the Christmas-New Year fixture schedules) is if you got to play safe mid-table clubs in the last 3 games, they are already on holiday and victory is easy. There's a few exceptions where some players raise their game for pride but its difficult for them to ask that of all 11 players, and with just 2 or 3 players relaxing, it can swing the game.

The other related big factor is if you facing the relegation candidates in the last month, those games are suddenly tremendously difficult compared to a few months back.

So, for example if they play a more difficult team like Watford and if Watford got nothing to play for then City win easy. While if we play someone like Cardiff who are normally easy, but they're now playing for their lives, a shit team throwing everything at us like Everton, and we may need a scrappy last minute goal from Origi to settle the title.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #4463 on: February 4, 2019, 11:18:21 am »
So, no fret. You got to look at the bigger picture. Sometimes that gap is going to get smaller before it grows again... just look at how Spurs are now down to 7 and sometimes it goes back to 9. There's no reason to panic either way. I'd even be optimistic if it was City who had a 4 point lead on us, cos there's a long way to go.

Isn't it amazing that it's us with the lead? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh.

Is right, my frustration about not beating Leic was simply about that single game plus the context of giving another jab to City after their loss. It was never about the points - 2 points here and there are not going to make a big difference. Will we go mad if we only draw against Utd?

Today the narrative is "City have their mojo back", after just one game? Again its just all about hyping the Prem to the max, making fans think that every game matters so they keep watching/reading/tweeting etc.

The lead will increase and decrease every game but as long as we are still net positive it's all good.

The points will be handy tonight if only to keep the babies happy.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4464 on: February 4, 2019, 11:19:58 am »
If they have 9 games in April then they wont win all their league games. They have lost 4 and we have just left January. Clearly their squad can only cope to a point.

They'll be able to rotate heavily for Cardiff and Burnley and still win comfortably. Only tough league game is Spurs and that's at home.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4465 on: February 4, 2019, 11:21:28 am »
They'll be able to rotate heavily for Cardiff and Burnley and still win comfortably. Only tough league game is Spurs and that's at home.

Nothings a given. Again, they have lost 4 games. Clearly they can be beat and you dont even need to be amazing to do so.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4466 on: February 4, 2019, 11:21:30 am »

Crystal Palace
Tottenham
Burnley
Leicester
Brighton

There's a good chance everyone of those teams will be on the beach by the time those games come around. They're exactly the kind of games you want in a run in.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4467 on: February 4, 2019, 11:24:32 am »
Nothings a given. Again, they have lost 4 games. Clearly they can be beat and you dont even need to be amazing to do so.

They've lost 4 in the last ten but went four months undefeated before that. They're quite capable of doing the latter again. They've only just got their best player back fully fit as well.

Point is, we need to keep winning to maintain this 5 point gap to keep the pressure on them and not take it as a given that they'll drop points as well. They could easily win 11/12 of their last 13 in my opinion, we've seen them go on runs like that before.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4468 on: February 4, 2019, 11:25:46 am »
Every time City get wanked over on here for a pending huge winning run they fuck up so let's keep these posts coming!

Offline DaveyLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #4469 on: February 4, 2019, 11:51:56 am »

I think these sort of things will be really important come the end of the season. It is a fair point that City have a big squad and it is possible they could rotate individual players to avoid them being able to physically tired individually but there is more to football than that now its much more technical. Having a week or 5/6 days between games means you can spend 3 or 4 days working on a game plan, tactics and coaching for the match against that specific team. With games every 3 days this simple isn't possible. Especially if the opposition is having a week before their games and is fully prepared. Will be impossible for City to be able to fully prepare tactically for every match if they have 9 games in a month which leaves the door more open for upsets and surprise results.
Form is temporary, Class is for life... Liverpool FC - All others forever in our shadow

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4470 on: February 4, 2019, 12:11:15 pm »
How about we smash the doom and gloom worth a cracking win. Fucking hope it happens so it gives the more nervous among us the chance to gather their nerves. Up the fucking Reds!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #4471 on: February 4, 2019, 12:30:53 pm »
How about we smash the doom and gloom worth a cracking win. Fucking hope it happens so it gives the more nervous among us the chance to gather their nerves. Up the fucking Reds!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Hammers are certainly shitting it on Twitter haha ;D
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4472 on: February 4, 2019, 12:44:55 pm »
We're in a Title Race which usually means the other team out to win it are bloody good.

Just have to concentrate on ourselves and bin-off any thoughts on how good City are.

As Klopp said, we've had high pressure on us to qualify in 4th before and the run to the Champions League final was hardly a cake walk.

Do our jobs, beat West Ham.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4473 on: February 4, 2019, 12:48:51 pm »
Apologies if this has already been posted.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/feb/04/manchester-city-pep-guardiola-arsenal-overthinking-pressure

There remains a sense that when the pressure is on, Guardiola overthinks the problem. An immediate warning sign is Fernandinho, Ilkay Gündogan, Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva in the same side. They played together in four league games in 2016-17, and won only one. They played together in the scratchy League Cup final win over Arsenal last season and in the Champions League quarter-final first leg defeat by Liverpool. This was the first time they had started together this season and the result was that underwhelming first half.

Yet in the end City won with ease. They did what they’ve been asked to do and overcame the uncertainty. They look no more nervous than Liverpool. And yet it’s hard to avoid the feeling that if they can make that much of a meal of beating Arsenal at home, even if the concerns lasted only half an hour, there will be greater wobbles ahead.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4474 on: February 4, 2019, 12:53:43 pm »
I try not to look ahead to the next game, but in this instance I look at tonight and Bournemouth before a 10 day break until we play Bayern. Only thing in the world we need to do as far as the next 7 days are concerned is win both of them. If we do that then City are going into that game against Chelsea with a bit of pressure on them. It might feel like wishful thinking, but if they were to draw that match say, and the reds win these next two, we'll be in a hell of a position. Really, we already are. It just depends on how you look at it and what makes you at ease with the situation.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4475 on: February 4, 2019, 01:13:31 pm »
We're gonna fuck up can feel it. Leicester game showed pressure was on us and we didn't find a way to win.  :(

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4476 on: February 4, 2019, 01:15:33 pm »
We're gonna fuck up can feel it. Leicester game showed pressure was on us and we didn't find a way to win.  :(

So what about the other times when City dropped points and the pressure was on us to capitalize? You make it sound like this is the first time we've been under pressure, which with all due respect Samie is completely bollocks.

We may still not win the title, but it's baffling how anyone can suggesting that we crumbled under pressure, where we've been in pressure situations for the entirety of the season.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4477 on: February 4, 2019, 01:17:53 pm »
Yeah well...pfft.  :wave

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4478 on: February 4, 2019, 01:20:14 pm »
I feel like the difference between us and City squad-wise is that they have one player who everyone agrees would be a massive loss for them if unavailable - Fernandinho.

In our case I think we have 5 - Allison, VVD and the front three. I think we are just as weakened if any of those got a long term injury as City would be if they lost Fernandinho. City have already shown they can be without one of their best outfield players for most of the season (KdeB) and do well. Likewise I would suggest the same if Sane, Aguero or Sterling was missing.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4479 on: February 4, 2019, 01:26:02 pm »

Luckily you are usually wrong  :D