Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1394394 times)

Offline NewfoundRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Come from Away
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #4240 on: February 2, 2019, 11:25:08 am »
I know some of will completely disagree ....

Correct

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4241 on: February 2, 2019, 11:30:36 am »
I know some of will completely disagree but the league will be won or lost or Monday! Win to stay 5 points clear or lose and find ourselves a point behind after Everton - city game on Wednesday night!!  :no :wave :butt
We have to win what ever it takes against West ham.

Spoiler alert - it won’t.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4242 on: February 2, 2019, 11:34:25 am »
There waa 5 or 6 matches last year where City won by the score of 1-0,several of which were decided in stoppage time. Not every win of theis was routine. Not every title winning side wins every match routinely in a season consisting of 38 matches. 

Ita incredibly naive to believe that any side is going to win every match routinely.

Online jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4243 on: February 2, 2019, 11:39:09 am »
I know some of will completely disagree but the league will be won or lost or Monday! Win to stay 5 points clear or lose and find ourselves a point behind after Everton - city game on Wednesday night!!  :no :wave :butt

Post of the year! 🤨

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4244 on: February 2, 2019, 11:48:56 am »
With 13 matches to go after West Ham how in the bloody hell would the league be decided on Monday considering its only a 5 point gap?

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #4245 on: February 2, 2019, 11:53:17 am »
Yeah but we must take maximum opportunities when they come about.

Agreed. Hence the disappointment we all share after the Leicester game
« Last Edit: February 2, 2019, 11:55:28 am by StormyDog »
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4246 on: February 2, 2019, 11:54:12 am »

Nothing will be decided on Monday night.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #4247 on: February 2, 2019, 11:58:03 am »
We're not going to win every game from here on in, then again neither are City.

We just need to keep our nerve starting with a win v West Ham on Monday night. I'd love a good performance too, but at this stage any scruffy win will do -ticking them off now.

Just realised if Spurs beat Newcastle they go above City - wonder if Kyle Walker will have anything to tweet about then  ;D
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline toe punt

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4248 on: February 2, 2019, 12:14:53 pm »
Lots of cry arses on here. We drew to go further ahead not fall further behind. We've scraped a fair few wins this season so we were due bad result. I do agree the performance was bad and we can't afford too many of those again. And if we go into March level on points do we just concede the title at that point? Our title challenge in 2014 only got going in February whereas this time we start the month from a position of strength.
Also, we might only have 4 points to play with assuming City win all their games and their goal difference is better but they know they're one defeat and a draw or a couple of draws from being in a difficult position.
I've felt at the beginning of the season we just need to keep within a few points of City all season until the run in and see what happens. The fact is we've outperformed that and we're now slight favourites. We just have to get back to winning.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4249 on: February 2, 2019, 12:15:20 pm »
Anyone talking about this team lacking bottle, based on what they've done in key fixtures has some serious memory issues, an agenda, or a lack of bottle themselves.

Middlesbrough to secure CL football. City away in the second leg of CL and Napoli to win the group this year. Three stellar examples. There are more.

We've occasionally seen complacency - Swansea Post City league win last season. Poor performances - Sevilla EL final. I don't think I can cite one example of lack of bottle though.

Just utter nonsense. It's in people's heads. Not on the pitch.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4250 on: February 2, 2019, 01:05:38 pm »
It's far too early for title deciders.

There will be a good few twists and turns before this gets decided one way or the other.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #4251 on: February 2, 2019, 01:22:23 pm »
Nobody including Spurs in this race? The only downside to the midweek results is that Tottenham's back into a reasonable distance at 7 points adrift. With their injury issues and being a goal down while we were a goal up, they seemed to be dead and buried in the race, but it turned around later and they're right back in. If Man City do fall away as we hope, and if we also stutter, then surely they'd have a sniff later? I've ruled them out many times, and they've just kept coming back. The question is how much longer can they keep up? Surely, both City and us will start dropping more points than the first half of the season, and that will make it easier for Spurs to keep up.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4252 on: February 2, 2019, 01:29:53 pm »
Nobody including Spurs in this race? The only downside to the midweek results is that Tottenham's back into a reasonable distance at 7 points adrift. With their injury issues and being a goal down while we were a goal up, they seemed to be dead and buried in the race, but it turned around later and they're right back in. If Man City do fall away as we hope, and if we also stutter, then surely they'd have a sniff later? I've ruled them out many times, and they've just kept coming back. The question is how much longer can they keep up? Surely, both City and us will start dropping more points than the first half of the season, and that will make it easier for Spurs to keep up.

I wouldn’t worry about Spurs, as soon as they get close to threatening they always manage to blow it somehow.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4253 on: February 2, 2019, 01:41:54 pm »

Hard to include them when they've already lost 6 matches with 14 matches left to play with Ali and Kane out until March.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4254 on: February 2, 2019, 01:44:05 pm »
I wouldn’t worry about Spurs, as soon as they get close to threatening they always manage to blow it somehow.

You do know that's what they say about Liverpool too.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4255 on: February 2, 2019, 02:25:35 pm »
Well the unflushable turd won again. Amazing gaffe by Newcastle’s keeper after 83 mins.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4256 on: February 2, 2019, 02:27:04 pm »
Their upcoming fixtures

Leicester [H]
Burnley [A]
Chelsea [A]
Arsenal [H]
Soton [A]
Palace [H]
Liverpool[A]

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4257 on: February 2, 2019, 02:33:03 pm »
Their upcoming fixtures

Leicester [H]
Burnley [A]
Chelsea [A]
Arsenal [H]
Soton [A]
Palace [H]
Liverpool[A]

They will drop point there for sure - but it’s annoying they are hanging around.

In any case we must get back to winning on Monday.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4258 on: February 2, 2019, 02:58:00 pm »
Their upcoming fixtures

Leicester [H]
Burnley [A]
Chelsea [A]
Arsenal [H]
Soton [A]
Palace [H]
Liverpool[A]

With the combination of the poor way they play in right now and the luck they have, everything between 5-21 points is possible. I can't believe how the hell they've won every damn game since the United loss in the manner they've done. Can't stand them  :no
Linudden.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4259 on: February 2, 2019, 03:06:57 pm »

Win against West Ham, and we don't have to worry.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4260 on: February 2, 2019, 03:32:55 pm »
Well the unflushable turd won again. Amazing gaffe by Newcastle’s keeper after 83 mins.
Annoying tw#t's, if the games lasted 80 minutes they would be fighting relegation.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #4261 on: February 2, 2019, 03:36:34 pm »
I said it on the post match thread and will post it again here - fans should all focus on the fact that we even got ourselves into the position to be 10 or 7 points clear.

Focusing on us not taking those opportunities overlooks the 11 wins in 12 leagues matches prior to Leicester (i.e. that period when we didn't 'bottle it', and racked up a ton of points whilst whilst others faltered), and the colossal achievement of this team so far this season in winning every single game against teams outside the top six - with Leicester being the only exception in over 5 months of football.

The respect for City is way too high considering all the factors that are playing out for them this season - their injury issues, massive fixture congestion looming, Pep getting more rattled each week, and 4 defeats in their last 9. Yet some on here cry into their keyboards as if City are going to get 14 straight wins and we will throw it all away. Where's the evidence? 2013/14? 2008/9? Those aren't even the same players, managers, or backroom staff, and we're a completely different club now, run in a completely different way.

It's the difference between 'Liverpool drop points at home against Leicester', and 'Liverpool extend their lead over City'. Both are true, but in the overall scheme of things, and considering injuries, conditions, and refereeing, I'm focusing on the latter.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2019, 03:41:58 pm by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4262 on: February 2, 2019, 03:41:19 pm »
You do know that's what they say about Liverpool too.

It has nothing to do with it, different teams under different managers. This present team hasn't been in a title chase before.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4263 on: February 2, 2019, 04:17:24 pm »

Load of bollocks.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4264 on: February 2, 2019, 04:20:51 pm »

Fucking hell,I would say give your head a wobble but I fear it might fall off.

Ah fuck it,give your head a wobble and then wobble it some more.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4265 on: February 2, 2019, 04:21:23 pm »
Did an Anfield experience today with the kids, Aldo and Phil Neal were the ex-players. Both said do not even discuss winning the league at this point in time. Neal especially said that the title winning sides just concentrated on the next game and just ticked each one off until they had the points required.

Aldo said the players do feel the anxiety and worry coming from the crowd, so those in the ground just need get behind the lads and make Anfield a cauldron at every game.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4266 on: February 2, 2019, 04:25:36 pm »

Can’t make out if this is supposed to be a parody of some of the overreacting, nervous fans adding pressure at the liecester game that VVD was going on about or just outright trolling.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4267 on: February 2, 2019, 04:28:10 pm »
There was a time the management, team and fans barely look at the league table before Jan and even then it was a case of time to roll up the sleeves and push on by either clinching the title by April or catch up time. Slightly different now as we ebb n flow like a float in the waves, Up one second fecked the next. Bottling it should not even be whispered within 10 miles of Anfield as the lads are too good to throw anything away and considering how close City are you cant bottle anything when all it takes is a couple of poor games for us. Bottling it is when you are 10 points ahead with 5 games left and not winning. Honestly this is the time the best in anything crave for as they want to be pushed, they want to see how good they are....they want the adrenaline so us fans should be the same as we are on our second title charge in 5 years and that does not happen too often these days. Probably the third time for me in three decades so enjoy it as life is bloody short.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4268 on: February 2, 2019, 05:11:34 pm »
Now the dust has settled (or snow) after Wednesday, let's not jump ship saying the performance was poor. Those conditions in the first half suited a team defending deep, not a team trying to pass the ball around. We like to play at pace and the ball wouldnt "play ball" because of the pitch. Who else expected a pass to go short and it be intercepted? We couldn't play a game we wanted to, Maguire was a thug who should have been sent off, and therefore wouldn't have been on the pitch to score the equaliser. Add that to the fact Mane clear thro wasn't offside, and to cap it all, blind Atkinson was probably the only person inside that ground who didn't think it was a clear foul on Keita. You only had to look at the face on Ricardo which gave it away as well!

Let's get back to what we do the best, get down to London and beat West Ham, and another ticked off on th road to glory. We are Liverpool, we never ever do things the easy way!
"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4269 on: February 2, 2019, 05:38:41 pm »
Take each game as it comes, forget about the league table and just get behind the lads, it's as simple as that.

Fuck what every other team in the league is doing, what matters is what Liverpool are doing. 1 game at a time and see where we are come May.

Bring on the Hammers!

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4270 on: February 2, 2019, 05:45:23 pm »
Match or better City's results and theres fuck all they can do about it.

Doesn't matter if we play well, indifferently, have all the luck in the world with deflections, missed offsides, penalties that weren't or own goals.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4271 on: February 2, 2019, 06:21:37 pm »
Hope Spurs being ahead of them puts even more pressure on City with their 3 games coming up.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline SteveZissou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4272 on: February 2, 2019, 07:01:56 pm »
Obviously nerves from the crowd plays its role but I strongly believe that former players and the media are overplaying it... as far as I see it we did enough to win the game with Keita deserving a penalty and Sadio Mane clearly onside when through. It was a tight game due to conditions and the way Puel sets up so the small details count and we did it, but the calls went against us.

We are also famous for the nerves under Rodgers that year, but we actually won 12 of the last 14, and I wouldn't call that buckling under pressure either. If anything we rode the wave from the crowd and not winning the title so long seems to have gotten everyone excited and I believe the mood worked in our favour, contrary to what the media and pundits say.

You can't expect us to win all 14, and the games we didn't such as the Palace draw was down to Rodgers poor tactical management after we went 3 goals up. While the Chelsea game, basing it on Gerrard's interview was based on Stevie's fear from even before the game. The nerves did seem to impact him more than the others... and why not... he knew that was his last chance for the title.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4273 on: February 2, 2019, 07:23:19 pm »
For me the goal is simple - be close enough to win the title with three games to go - ie fucking challenge for the thing. This in itself is a huge step up from Liverpool - especially considering the opposition we're facing. We are on route to get there, once we do it'll be a different set of expectations, hopes and overall pressure. But piling up the pressure at this moment can only result in one thing - us fucking up and cracking under it. So bite that tongue down and cover those fears with song and hope.

Offline Fernando_Torres_Was_Good

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #4274 on: February 2, 2019, 07:26:24 pm »
With Gomez having already missed (and probably due to miss more) a very large portion of the season - and Trent having missed a fair few games as well - and both players being first choice starters...Can anyone think of any premier league title winners that managed to do it with at least 2 positions in their first 11 being regularly populated by players being played out of position or 3rd choice starters etc?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4275 on: February 2, 2019, 07:31:35 pm »
Yes, City did it last year. They had Delph playing as fullback and Zinchenko as well. Theyve had injuries to their centerhalves as well so a variation of Kompany Stones Otamendi and Laporte were used.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4276 on: February 2, 2019, 07:34:28 pm »
With Gomez having already missed (and probably due to miss more) a very large portion of the season - and Trent having missed a fair few games as well - and both players being first choice starters...Can anyone think of any premier league title winners that managed to do it with at least 2 positions in their first 11 being regularly populated by players being played out of position or 3rd choice starters etc?
Who gives a fuck!!!  And why even burden yourself with negative shite?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4277 on: February 2, 2019, 07:51:31 pm »

De bruyne and mendy 18/19. Is that the answer to your bedwetting quiz.
No time for caution.

Online TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #4278 on: February 2, 2019, 08:21:20 pm »
Spurs have quietly weathered their injury crisis well so far. Not sure what there run is like over the next 3-5 games but it’ll be interesting (if a little hard to dissect) what impact that’ll have on City, and us. Gut feel is that we both win the next few and Spurs fall away again but that feels less certain than the other few recent occasions when they got involved. Arsenal / City will be an interesting game, shame it’s not at the Emirates though. We need to focus on putting out as strong a defence as possible against West Ham, hopefully Trent is back as that would make a big difference (though Milner will be a better/more natural back up than Hendo). If I were Klopp I’d be seriously considering Fabinho at CB. We will have our moments in attack so it’s all about defending and keeping the pressure off with a clean sheet.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4279 on: February 2, 2019, 08:35:09 pm »
Spurs have quietly weathered their injury crisis well so far. Not sure what there run is like over the next 3-5 games but it’ll be interesting (if a little hard to dissect) what impact that’ll have on City, and us. Gut feel is that we both win the next few and Spurs fall away again but that feels less certain than the other few recent occasions when they got involved. Arsenal / City will be an interesting game, shame it’s not at the Emirates though. We need to focus on putting out as strong a defence as possible against West Ham, hopefully Trent is back as that would make a big difference (though Milner will be a better/more natural back up than Hendo). If I were Klopp I’d be seriously considering Fabinho at CB. We will have our moments in attack so it’s all about defending and keeping the pressure off with a clean sheet.

Leicester home next Sunday, Burnley away, Chelsea away, Arsenal home, Southampton away with Dortmund home and away in the middle of all that.