Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1394438 times)

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #4120 on: February 1, 2019, 09:25:02 am »
Fully expect Arsenal to roll over and have their belly's tickled this weekend :-(.

While we'd be amazed at a win for them they can nick a draw

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4121 on: February 1, 2019, 09:27:14 am »
Vomit on your sweater already?

Ye maaaaaaaaaa's spaghetti

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4122 on: February 1, 2019, 09:35:36 am »

Arsenal and Everton are exceptionally unlikely to take anything from their games with city. Arsenal because their defence is paper thin, Everton because they're absolutely shite.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #4123 on: February 1, 2019, 09:37:31 am »
Don't think their defence is up to that, sadly...
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline rafathegaffa

• Legacy Fan
  • Bang bang Rosie
    • A few songs...
« Reply #4124 on: February 1, 2019, 09:44:59 am »
Arsenal and Everton are exceptionally unlikely to take anything from their games with city. Arsenal because their defence is paper thin, Everton because they're absolutely shite.
Yup.
I'd rather play Arsenal every week than Palace or Leicester. City would too.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4125 on: February 1, 2019, 09:51:35 am »

I feel like it needs repeating that their dropped points have all been in games that people thought they’d walk. I don’t think we should expect them to drop points but I’m honestly not going to be surprised at any points they drop from here.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #4126 on: February 1, 2019, 09:52:59 am »
Fully expect Arsenal to roll over and have their belly's tickled this weekend :-(.

Not so sure about that, I think it just all depends on how disorganised their defence is. If they have learned anything from the game against us, then they should put on a better show. They have every chance to do something because they have the ability to score and cause problems and City are vulnerable at the moment. Of late, City haven't coped well going behind hence the 4 defeats.

If City score a couple early, then most likely they will win at a canter but if not, I can see them becoming tense (like us) like they were on Tuesday and that gives every team with attacking quality a chance.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4127 on: February 1, 2019, 10:09:27 am »
I was watching on TV and I actually felt more nervous looking at faces and expressions in the crowd. The tension was just unbearable. It’s impossible for that not to transmit on the pitch. I am already dreading what the atmosphere is going to be like in the Bournemouth game. I think the fans in the ground just need believe in the team a little bit more. I mean we’re not on this position by fluke. We must have done something right to be where we are.

This is probably going to sound strange but it might actually be better for us to play away right now after that game, than at home. There will be no tension away at West Ham and the away end will be bouncing. I think we’ll play far better than yesterday and West Ham are not going to defend in 2 banks of 4. They will give it a go which always plays in to our hands on the road.

While it may be taken out of context as Im sure the TV cameras can be selective but to see fans with heads in hands, chewing finger nails or sitting there as if their dog died you do have to wonder what we will be like in three months time. We are big boys and if the worse happens (in terms of a game we watch once or twice a week) and we dont win the title is that going to be the end of the world? Feck no so why not enjoy the moment as we are having a great season. Support with vigour, get your heads up and shout with passion to egg on the lads and at least we can enjoy the piss ups from here on until the hangover kicks in. I really wish the club had a 1000 young lads in a section somewhere just constant;y pushing on the team and other fans to get off their fat asses as the 12th man has been found wanting way too often since the last title was won.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4128 on: February 1, 2019, 10:10:00 am »

It could well be that the Everton players will be motivated for this as they know that their own fans are desperate for them to loose but the Everton players hate their own fans, so might try their hardest and try to piss them off. However I take your point, they are shite.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 10:13:52 am by Yosser0_0 »
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4129 on: February 1, 2019, 10:13:11 am »
Not so sure about that, I think it just all depends on how disorganised their defence is. If they have learned anything from the game against us, then they should put on a better show. They have every chance to do something because they have the ability to score and cause problems and City are vulnerable at the moment. Of late, City haven't coped well going behind hence the 4 defeats.

If City score a couple early, then most likely they will win at a canter but if not, I can see them becoming tense (like us) like they were on Tuesday and that gives every team with attacking quality a chance.

If they press high up the pitch onto the City defence like Newcastle did, they might have success. Arsenal did it to us and Chelsea early in those games and scored goals.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4130 on: February 1, 2019, 10:18:22 am »
I feel like it needs repeating that their dropped points have all been in games that people thought they’d walk. I don’t think we should expect them to drop points but I’m honestly not going to be surprised at any points they drop from here.

If they dropped points to everton I'd have to reconsider everything I thought I knew about the world I'd be that surprised. Is up down? Is black white? The entire universe would feel entirely inverse to me it would be so unlikely to happen.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #4131 on: February 1, 2019, 12:13:45 pm »
I am glad we play on Monday already and for once I am glad we play away. West Ham are no pushovers though and we have to prove once again our resiliency to bounce-back after a disappointing result -  even though I am not that unhappy about this draw vs Leicester, as we have won 4/6 points against them. ManCity can only win 3/6 against them this season and still have to play them again. So we outperformed City in that duel :)

Resilience will be key in the coming weeks. For us it's all about reaching the performance levels that we know will make us extremely hard to beat, knowing that a single goal might be enough for three points once our backline is settled again. For ManCity, it's something they have yet to prove this season. In December they lost three in four games in short succession, now they have lost one they didn't expect and face three good teams within a week. Even though I expect them to win against Arsenal (but only just!), I think they will find the away game at Everton in midweek under the lights much harder than the home match against a Chelsea team in crisis.

Anyway, we as fans can watch them face these challenges pretty relaxed, as we still have a good 5-point cushion and injured players coming back.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4132 on: February 1, 2019, 12:58:25 pm »
Arsenal will need a miracle, Everton will roll over to get their tummies tickled and I can only see Chelsea giving City a fight if they bother to turn up.

We on the other hand need to do our job regardless of what they do.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4133 on: February 1, 2019, 01:02:23 pm »

City have dropped points to teams with reasonable defenses. Arsenal on the other hand are wide open.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 01:05:30 pm by spider-neil »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4134 on: February 1, 2019, 01:03:55 pm »
I dont think they'll WIN it. We didn't win the title the 13/14 season but we were damn sure in the race, they can compete without ending top

Ok I see where you're coming from now, don't think they're in it though, whenever they get a sniff they drop points.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4135 on: February 1, 2019, 01:11:36 pm »
It's felt for over a month that we are one game heads going. On reflection, the point on Wed will turn out decent if we beat West Ham. I would probably have settled for 4 points from those two fixtures. West Ham are tough to gauge too, hopefully Arnautovic will be out.

After losing to City then going out of the cup, the Palace game was of similar importance - a draw or loss there would have been disastrous in the context of the week before.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #4136 on: February 1, 2019, 01:34:29 pm »
Ye maaaaaaaaaa's spaghetti

He's nervous
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #4137 on: February 1, 2019, 01:38:25 pm »
He's nervous

butonthesurfacehelookscalmandreadytodropbombsandAGHHHHHHHHHH

loved Milly's recent tweet  ;D

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4138 on: February 1, 2019, 01:44:25 pm »
Ribena on his sweater already
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4139 on: February 1, 2019, 02:02:47 pm »
City have dropped points to teams with reasonable defenses. Arsenal on the other hand are wide open.

They’re more than capable of being well drilled if they’re going to do a little bus parking
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #4140 on: February 1, 2019, 02:07:33 pm »
They’re more than capable of being well drilled if they’re going to do a little bus parking

They also have more than enough going forward to cause City problems.

It's worth remembering this is another week where City are playing 3 games in 7 days knowing that they basically can't afford any slip ups. I'm expecting them to get 9 points but it won't be easy for them and the sheer volume of fixtures could take it's toll.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4141 on: February 1, 2019, 03:15:26 pm »
Its going to be frustrating if Arsenal defend like they did against us.  ;D

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4142 on: February 1, 2019, 03:28:01 pm »
Again its being a human being, the fans aren't robots.

You can look at yesterdays game as 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. We saw City lose (no the ignore City stuff isn't realistic) We conceded at a shit time in an arguably unjust manner, we played worse than we have been over the course of the season, looked shaky at the back and moved the ball very slowly which is the opposite of what you need to do to open up these deep defensive line sides, all of that feeds into anxiety from fans, at the same time, hearing fans groan or display frustration will naturally get to the fans and make them feel pressure. It goes both ways, the thing is this 'stay calm' stuff is delightfully optimistic but is it realistic? How many of you can say you sat and watched the game without showing any signs of frustration or anxiety? Why is it different if you are in the stadium, you feel the exact same things and to be honest, there were a good number of times where fans were cheering us on and encouraging when we had them penned in, when we were looking to create chances, when the ref clearly got things wrong, it wasn't all moans and groans.

EVERY side has anxiety around the stadium in big games, its always been the case and to be honest it always will be

People could hide their nervousness/anxiety for 90 odd minutes, just as we do on many occasions in our lives. Players are nervous before they go on the pitch, but then they perform. We, the supporters, need to put on a performance too. Sing, cheer, act positive through the anxiety and tension. Be a nervous wreck before and after the game.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4143 on: February 1, 2019, 03:30:59 pm »
I can understand the nervousness, but this is not a do or die game. Napoli was a do or die game. If anything fans would have been more anxious then, yet here fans seem to be more anxious and antsy? why?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4144 on: February 1, 2019, 03:43:59 pm »
I can understand the nervousness, but this is not a do or die game. Napoli was a do or die game. If anything fans would have been more anxious then, yet here fans seem to be more anxious and antsy? why?

I think after Mane’s early goal, the crowd just expected the win and a 7 point lead. Then the failure of the ref to send off Slabhead, who then equalised, and the lack of chances as time edged on in the second half, lead the crowd’s expectations and anxiety to become exasperation and moaning. Against Napoli, there wasn’t that same expectation, so we weren’t taking the win for granted.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4145 on: February 1, 2019, 03:47:09 pm »
I think after Mane’s early goal, the crowd just expected the win and a 7 point lead. Then the failure of the ref to send off Slabhead, who then equalised, and the lack of chances as time edged on in the second half, lead the crowd’s expectations and anxiety to become exasperation and moaning. Against Napoli, there wasn’t that same expectation, so we weren’t taking the win for granted.

Could be. I was certainly more anxious against Napoli.

Here it just did not look like we were going to score.... But given the Man City result I was just meh, just get at least a point. Of course 3 points would have been good, but if we don't won the title, drawing this would not be the main reason.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4146 on: February 1, 2019, 03:48:17 pm »
People could hide their nervousness/anxiety for 90 odd minutes, just as we do on many occasions in our lives. Players are nervous before they go on the pitch, but then they perform. We, the supporters, need to put on a performance too. Sing, cheer, act positive through the anxiety and tension. Be a nervous wreck before and after the game.

Some people seem to get it some people don't. People have every right to be nervous, that's fine, the simple message is don't moan and get on the teams back when things aren't going perfect, instead cheer on any mistakes and get behind the team. I don't know how much simpler it can be said. Nervousness or anxiety isn't an excuse for moaning, spitting your dummy out or getting in a huff, it's more important than ever people get behind the team and calm the fuck down. VVD has said it Klopp repeatedly says it, so either listen to them who know best or go against them.

Think it's a good point as said above though, maybe a game away will do people some good.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4147 on: February 1, 2019, 03:50:35 pm »
I think that bears saying too. Klopp knows how to win titles. He's been in this position before.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #4148 on: February 1, 2019, 04:37:36 pm »
Its going to be frustrating if Arsenal defend like they did against us.  ;D

Suarez has finally got his move there so they'll be sound ;)
YWNA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4149 on: February 1, 2019, 04:47:40 pm »
I think that bears saying too. Klopp knows how to win titles. He's been in this position before.

So do most of the players, it has to be said
Better looking than Samie.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4150 on: February 1, 2019, 05:39:56 pm »
So do most of the players, it has to be said

I thought only Sturridge, Milner, and Shaq have won titles.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #4151 on: February 1, 2019, 05:48:51 pm »

VVD won with Celtic

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4152 on: February 1, 2019, 05:57:03 pm »
VVD won with Celtic

Almost doesn’t count. :D

Good that he has won some but doubt he had to keep his nerve during the run in too many times!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #4153 on: February 1, 2019, 06:08:08 pm »
Almost doesn’t count. :D

Good that he has won some but doubt he had to keep his nerve during the run in too many times!

Haha true! Let's not count Mo at Chelsea :)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4154 on: February 1, 2019, 06:10:49 pm »

Sturridge, Milner, Shaq, Keita, Lovren, Becker, Mane, Gini, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Salah all have at least one league title to their name.

--------------------Becker
Fabinho----Lovren----VVD----Milner
----------------------Gini
----------Shaqiri------------Keita
------Salah----Sturridge----Mane

That's our league-winning 11 right there ;D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4155 on: February 1, 2019, 07:41:57 pm »
That right there dismisses people saying our players lack title winning experience.
I would like to see our intensity turned up a couple of notches and to bully teams more. A few comfortable games would be nice aswell
We still have to play spurs, man united and Chelsea, those 3 alone could go anyway never mind the others we have to play.
I really see West Ham causing us problems aswell if they are up for it, which is likely under the lights etc
Could easily be 2 points come 10pm on Monday night
Long way to go yet for our first prem.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4156 on: February 1, 2019, 07:44:15 pm »
Cheers for all the responses guys, interesting to see peoples different viewpoints

I know that I watched it with zero anxiety and whilst it was a missed opportunity,we stretched our lead and that's all I care about.

Call bullshit all you like,fact is,you're wrong.

I couldn't care less if i'm right or wrong, its a forum and we're talking about football, its hardly overly important in the grand scheme of things and my post was to another poster I was having a discussion with. I simply gave my opinion on the matter and i've not once even suggested it was a bad result because it wasn't and i've said that since the game on numerous occasions.

If i'm wrong i'm wrong, its means fuck all to anything fact or not

Having been there ok Wednesday I think there's a lot of sense in here. There were a lot of weird circumstances at work, the atmosphere should have been a lot lot better of course but I do think there's a lot of mitigation in here. If you compare it to the previous game against palace when we were behind, and pegged back, the atmosphere was pretty good throughout. I think a lot played into Wednesday, and that Ultimately the same won't happen again.

Precisely my point mate, it wasn't just a normal game in normal conditions and people being spoilt little brats expecting way too much for no good reason, a lot played into the atmosphere AND the performance which I think kind of became a vicious cycle when you factor in everything. Obviously I would have preferred a better atmosphere and obviously performance but I think it was kind of understandable when you factor in the conditions, type of game, approach, officials performance and a large number of decisions. I wasn't claiming the fans should be absolved completely, nor was I claiming the players need a bollocking, simply that the conditions played into the performance and the atmosphere and the atmosphere played into the performance. Its unfortunate but from my position, I can understand to be honest.

Likewise I can understand what Klopp and Van Dijk were saying at the same time, its not a with them or against them kind of thing, you can understand from both viewpoints which you seem to feel as well. Cheers for posting that

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4157 on: February 1, 2019, 08:13:43 pm »
It could well be that the Everton players will be motivated for this as they know that their own fans are desperate for them to loose but the Everton players hate their own fans, so might try their hardest and try to piss them off. However I take your point, they are shite.
Don't do it to yourself mate. I've been doing it since 2001 and it's not worth it. I stopped takig notice of their matches vs rivals in our last title challenge.

No rival will ever drop points against Everton in a game where it will benefit us- even if Everton tried. City can drop points against anyone else they face from here on out, but not Everton. The BS MAY someday win when it's not important.

Everton are just not up to it. That's a nothing match. There's more chance of City dropping points against Sheffield United.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 08:24:07 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4158 on: February 1, 2019, 08:29:13 pm »
Everton are shite.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative, A smile would crack your face.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #4159 on: February 1, 2019, 08:59:10 pm »
Silva seems a bit of a c*nt and would want to endear himself to the fans because they've more or less figured him out so if they were any good they'd still play that game at a snail's pace and hope to lose. But it doesn't matter. They're fucking shit and are losing to City anyway even if they decide to turn up.