Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 633044 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
The GAA Thread
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »
Its that time of year again the darkness is starting to fade and the light of the summer months is not far away. The league is upon us soon as the pointless early provincial competitions come to an end. In Hurling its surely the Killkenny/Tipp show again, Dublin and Galway being the closest pretenders, but still very far away from troubling the two dominate forces . The football is certainly harder to call, in fact every year it becomes more wide open, for starters The Dubs are the current champions (still coming to terms with that)

Football
Munster - Kerry
Leinster - Kildare
Connacht - Mayo
Ulster - Armagh

Hurling
Munster - Tipp
Leinster - Killkenny

All Ireland
Football - Kerry
Hurling - Killkenny

The Big One
Christy Ring Cup
Kerry to make it two in a row
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:10:11 pm by KERRYKOP »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
Re: GAA Thread 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:11:46 pm »
Hotel booked for the second Sunday in September.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:18:53 pm »
Dubs to hold onto Sam, bitches :)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:19:49 pm »
Think Clare will win Munster.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »
I dont care what happens once The Dubs dont win, I thought I could get through the winter months with their inevitable overblown unwarranted hype, but it turned out to be FAR worse than I expected. It was the the fourth Sunday in January two days ago and TV3 had an hour long show dedicated to the gallant champs. Fourth Sunday in January.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:24:01 pm »
I dont care what happens once The Dubs dont win, I thought I could get through the winter months with their inevitable overblown unwarranted hype, but it turned out to be FAR worse than I expected. It was the the fourth Sunday in January two days ago and TV3 had an hour long show dedicated to the gallant champs. Fourth Sunday in January.
Have that recorded. Is it as good as it sounds?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:25:25 pm »
haha wait till its won back to back

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:25:58 pm »
Unless you're watching Xpose or Vincent Browne, watching TV 3 is going to be a harrowing experience.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:30:28 pm »
Have that recorded. Is it as good as it sounds?
Do you honestly think I would watch it.

haha wait till its won back to back
  :puke2

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »
Unless you're watching Xpose or Vincent Browne, watching TV 3 is going to be a harrowing experience.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 08:35:20 pm »
Louth for the lot!!!

Mon' the Wee County.

Ahem

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 08:38:57 pm »

Good quality TV viewing, my friend.

Speaking of TV3, I sincerely hope they sort out their panel of experts for this coming year.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »
Do you honestly think I would watch it.
:)

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »

Speaking of TV3, I sincerely hope they sort out their panel of experts for this coming year.
Your taste in art and culture is highly suspect.

Matt Cooper is a knob, they should sort that out first. 

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:47 pm »

Is that the panel of experts on xpose about the fashionable new spring collection due to hit the high street you're on about? ;)

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 10:46:44 pm »
Thats strange, came into Gen Football and Sport to start this thread only to realised you had started it just a few hours earlier. Anyway.....

Football

Munster-Cork
Leinster-Dublin
Connaught-Mayo
Ulster-Down

Sam - Cork

Hurling

Munster- Tipp
Leinster- Kilkenny

Liam - One of those two, fucking depressing. :(

Surprise me please Cork.

Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:57 pm »
Pity theres no Jeffiner around anymore aswell, was really interesting the way she'd keep us updated on highly important things such as the Down under 13 camogie team's right half back. Really really really interesting and relevant.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 10:52:39 pm »
Football

Munster - Cork
Leinster - Dublin
Connacht - Galway
Ulster - Donegal

Hurling

Munster - Clare
Leinster - Kilkenny

All Ireland
Football - Donegal
Hurling - Kilkenny

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 11:01:53 pm »
Thats strange, came into Gen Football and Sport to start this thread only to realised you had started it just a few hours earlier. Anyway.....
YES!!!!!!! AV IT!!!!!!!!!

Pity theres no Jeffiner around anymore aswell, was really interesting the way she'd keep us updated on highly important things such as the Down under 13 camogie team's right half back. Really really really interesting and relevant.
She enlightened us on the Armagh Down rivalry. The stories of rich cultural cross border differences were riveting. Sorely missed YNWA

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 05:32:43 pm »
Pity theres no Jeffiner around anymore aswell

The girl used to melt my brain

As for the Championship: Cork or Kerry for Sam. Tipp or Kilkenny for Liam McCarthy

Sadly I fear the Cork hurlers will end up like the Dublin footballers, they'll win sweet fuck all
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline PanchDeBurca

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »
Tipp for another surprise football all ireland?  Majority of that minor panel are underage again this year

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 04:23:33 pm »
Tipp for another surprise football all ireland?  Majority of that minor panel are underage again this year
The trick will be to keep those lads in the country, playing football and make sure its not a one off. The Munster championship has a platform to be more competitive.

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 06:51:04 pm »
Hurling.

Munster Tipp
Leinster Killkenny

Liam mc Carthy Tipp.

Dublin,Galway and a resurgent Cork under the guidence of the legend that is Jimmy Barry Murphy to put up the biggest challenge to the big two.

Football

Munster Cork
Leinster Dubs
Connact Mayo
Ulster Tyrone

Sam Maguire Cork
Kerry Dublin to run them close.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 10:32:53 am »

to be honest if they won it again this year, as reinging AI Champions, I don't think you could really call it a surprise.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 11:29:57 am »
I'm trying to think who might be a surprise package this year. Outside of the obvious candidates like Cork & Kerry, I'd like to do a cheeky little bet on one of the "up and comers" so to speak. I'd love to see Kildare win one, as I've good time for McGeeney, but I think their boat has sailed now. Solid team, massive work ethic, just too many miles on the clock IMO. They could well reach the semi's, but I can't see them going all the way.

Mayo at 14/1 is decent, but then again its Mayo. When the shlaps start flying and you need lads to dish out a few tender right hooks, the Mayo boys never seem to be able to handle it mon. Habitual bottlers they are. Donegal at 16/1 might be interesting, but I'd feel dirty for supporting their brand of football in any way shape or form so that's them out. Galway at 25/1? Nah, they'll have their annual derby of the Wesht with Mayo, they might even win it, but that's all you'll see of Galway this year.

Meath? There's too many mulluckers on that team. They're a team full of lads you'd see in Abrakebabra at 2 in the morning, shirt hanging out, telling you about the bouncer they decked down the town. They'd really make you question Darwins theory of evolution those Meath lads. An entire planet that's largely made up of a somewhat civilized human race, yet in the midst of it all, you have this tiny mass of land in the North Atlantic that houses a county full of antisocial tinkers. How the fuck did that happen?

My boys this year are Derry. 33/1 is cracking value IMO. They're a team that has it in them to break through I think. They've got a nice mix youth experience, ability and physicality. They're my number 2 team this year   
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 05:06:58 pm »
Meath? There's too many mulluckers on that team. They're a team full of lads you'd see in Abrakebabra at 2 in the morning, shirt hanging out, telling you about the bouncer they decked down the town. They'd really make you question Darwins theory of evolution those Meath lads. An entire planet that's largely made up of a somewhat civilized human race, yet in the midst of it all, you have this tiny mass of land in the North Atlantic that houses a county full of antisocial tinkers. How the fuck did that happen?

:lmao

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 02:23:07 pm »
PJ Ryan has retired now.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 02:24:40 pm »
Really vexes me the way Gaelic Football is thought more highly of in this country, despite it being the far, far inferior sport.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 02:30:15 pm »
Really vexes me the way Gaelic Football is thought more highly of in this country, despite it being the far, far inferior sport.

Its the more appealing sport in term of its competitiveness at the moment.

I can think of at least 10 counties who could conceivably win themselves an All Ireland without it being much of a "shock"

Lets be honest, the Hurling All Ireland will be a 2 horse race again this year. Not very exciting is it? Pains me to say

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 02:37:50 pm »
Its the more appealing sport in term of its competitiveness at the moment.

I can think of at least 10 counties who could conceivably win themselves an All Ireland without it being much of a "shock"

Lets be honest, the Hurling All Ireland will be a 2 horse race again this year. Not very exciting is it? Pains me to say
Just threw a bit of a wobbler because I couldn't find the score I was looking for, found it now though  ;)

In other news, it appears we will have to watch Eoin Kelly fist pump his way through another campaign with the Deise.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 02:44:53 pm »
In other news, it appears we will have to watch Eoin Kelly fist pump his way through another campaign with the Deise.

Kelly I don't mind, its John Mullane I can't fucking stand. He's a knob of the highest order

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 02:53:16 pm »
Kelly I don't mind, its John Mullane I can't fucking stand. He's a knob of the highest order

Same, hate that ugly bald c*nt. I remember back in probably around 03 playing them in the Munster Championship and the whole Cork crowd singing "Sullys gonna get ya", Mullane looked terrified, next 50/50 ball that came in Diarmuid O'Sullivan definitely having heard the crowd came in and duly obliged,absoloutely creamed him, Was like Mullane had been hit by a train, one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

No denying Mullane has serious talent though, always does that run where it seems hes going nowhere only to hit a shot over his shoulder that always seems to find it's way between the posts. Frustrating dirty talented prick.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 02:58:54 pm »
Take it easy there tiger. The amount of shit gaelic football gets almost weekly over discipline, modern tactics, and the almost constant revision rules is far far far less than Hurling, which is depicted in the press as a game played by mythic warrior poets and every half decent game is amped up to the last. The fact is despite Tipp and Kilkenny hurling has been very poor over the last 5 our 6 years and was declining before that. In any given year you can only look forward to a couple of quality, high skilled competitive games in the 90's they were common place.

Football on the other hand despite the efforts of some coaches to employ ultra negative tactics has been very competitive and we're now at a stage where realistically 5 our 6 teams could win the All Ireland, Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Donegal, Mayo, Kildare and Tyrone that lends to more of an interest at large.

I wouldnt be worried about getting due recognition, Hurling is the better sport I think everyone recognises that, its just not capturing the publics imagination as it should. These things come in cycles, I'm sure once kilkenny enter into decline people will start to care again :P

Another thing, what do you make of Willie O'Dwyer joining the Kerry hurling panel? He's been living and working in Tralee for the last few years. Its a fantastic coup for us that will no doubt push hurling along in the county. If we win the Christy Ring this year again Kerry will enter the Munster championship in 2013, here's hoping. As a kid I loved when the big teams came to Tralee usually on summer evenings, even though we would get hammered there was a great buzz about it.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 03:03:52 pm »
I remember him scoring a cracking goal against us in Thurles

Little scrawny fucker went running along the front of the terrace flipping the finger at us. Probably thought he'd netted the winner

The fact that we came back and ended up beating them was sweet, but knowing that that c*nt was going to miss out on another Munster medal because of us just made it all the more pleasurable. We had some epic games with Waterford around that time. Those games never failed to deliver classics. And I do mean classics

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 03:09:23 pm »
The game in 2004 was that, fast forward to the Munster Final replay of 2010 a lot had change in the quality of both teams because most of the players didnt. Cork were setting themselves up for a fall ever since 2004, it was fairly obvious to see.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 03:11:50 pm »
The game in 2004 was that, fast forward to the Munster Final replay of 2010 a lot had change in the quality of both teams because most of the players didnt. Cork were setting themselves up for a fall ever since 2004, it was fairly obvious to see.

What do you mean we were setting ourselves up for a fall?

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 03:16:59 pm »
What do you mean we were setting ourselves up for a fall?
Not bringing in new talent, sticking with old guard. We're doing the same here, but its not telling as much. Its a natural thing to happen when a county gets a gluten of top players in the one shot.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 03:25:45 pm »

Another thing, what do you make of Willie O'Dwyer joining the Kerry hurling panel? He's been living and working in Tralee for the last few years. Its a fantastic coup for us that will no doubt push hurling along in the county. If we win the Christy Ring this year again Kerry will enter the Munster championship in 2013, here's hoping. As a kid I loved when the big teams came to Tralee usually on summer evenings, even though we would get hammered there was a great buzz about it.
Meyler must have been impressed with his 2-3 in the Leinster final in '07.

Good hurler, pile of medals and still young. Can only be a good thing for Kerry. Good for O' Dwyer himself also, a talented chap that should be playing as much hurling as possible.

Good move all round.

At least Mullane has mellowed a bit in the last few years. Kelly remains an arsehole, on and off the field.

I rejoiced when I heard Ryan had binned him from the panel this year.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 06:10:44 pm »
Football League should be good.

Who fancies who?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 08:00:58 pm »
I'm seriously interested to see how Derry get on in the league. I'm tipping them to do well this year

I think Cork are playing Dublin on the same day that Munster play Ulster in the Heineken cup