Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1833355 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #34160 on: October 21, 2017, 11:29:25 am »
I get that. I just feel sorry for John ;D
It was his idea to do that route...he's got less sense than I+I. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Online the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34161 on: October 21, 2017, 11:32:53 am »
It was his idea to do that route...he's got less sense than I+I. ;D
Irie ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34162 on: October 21, 2017, 01:53:57 pm »

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34163 on: October 23, 2017, 04:41:01 pm »
Sat on a bench watching the cars.....I'm sure there's something I should be doing.....I'm in Mawdesley....

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34164 on: October 23, 2017, 06:57:12 pm »
Sat on a bench watching the cars.....I'm sure there's something I should be doing.....I'm in Mawdesley....

Bit late now, but did you put the tent up? ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34165 on: October 23, 2017, 06:57:47 pm »
Finally got my gearless bike. :)

The bike is fine, but the bits on in might need...tinkering. ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34166 on: October 24, 2017, 03:27:12 pm »
Bit late now, but did you put the tent up? ;D
Dark when I got back. ;D
Finally got my gearless bike. :)

The bike is fine, but the bits on in might need...tinkering. ;D
;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34167 on: October 26, 2017, 05:33:01 pm »
Had a productive week to this point. 3 rides, managed to do over 300 miles, and yesterday we did a 95 mile ride that had 9700 feet of climbing on it.

Another 100 tomorrow and then Wales for a 120 on Saturday...see what Sunday brings.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34168 on: October 26, 2017, 05:47:55 pm »
Had a productive week to this point. 3 rides, managed to do over 300 miles, and yesterday we did a 95 mile ride that had 9700 feet of climbing on it.

Another 100 tomorrow and then Wales for a 120 on Saturday...see what Sunday brings.

I didn't even have weeks like that in the summer.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34169 on: October 26, 2017, 05:56:18 pm »
I didn't even have weeks like that in the summer.
Coz yer lazy, J,  simple as that. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34170 on: October 26, 2017, 07:48:30 pm »
Coz yer lazy, J,  simple as that. ;D

Very true. Think I've done an hour on the bike this week so far. ;D

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #34171 on: October 27, 2017, 01:07:34 pm »
Getting back into it now after nearly a year of inactivity. My word, struggled to hit 25 miles last night. Felt incredible when I hit the sheets. Hopefully in a month's time I'll have polished my rusty gears. ;D
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #34172 on: October 30, 2017, 11:43:26 am »
Back to walking without crutches but still got a full leg brace on, although its now set at 90° Flex and not 0°.

Two more weeks before I'm allowed anywhere near a bike though...

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34173 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:24 am »
Getting back into it now after nearly a year of inactivity. My word, struggled to hit 25 miles last night. Felt incredible when I hit the sheets. Hopefully in a month's time I'll have polished my rusty gears. ;D
Do you mean you struggled to hit 25mph?

Just go down a steep hill and resist the urge to pull on the "coward levers"    ;D

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34174 on: October 30, 2017, 11:57:24 am »
Back to walking without crutches but still got a full leg brace on, although its now set at 90° Flex and not 0°.

Two more weeks before I'm allowed anywhere near a bike though...
All this time off the bike, are you putting weight on?

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #34175 on: October 30, 2017, 12:00:16 pm »
All this time off the bike, are you putting weight on?
As I hardly drink these days I've kept it to just 3 or 4 kilos.

Been given the go ahead to start some Gym work at the end of the week although only upperbody so no Cardio stuff.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34176 on: October 30, 2017, 01:23:41 pm »
I can dig your pain la. Thing is, any miles is good miles.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34177 on: October 30, 2017, 01:24:39 pm »
Fuckin king out here la, still got me wool gloves on. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34178 on: October 30, 2017, 03:57:42 pm »
It was deffo chillier today than the norm we've had. Still though, it's not close to tights, overshoes, coats and gloves weather...someone should tell that to the cyclists I've seen in the last week...fuckin nesh!! I'm still in shorts sleeves and shorts mode.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34179 on: October 31, 2017, 09:50:26 pm »
Saw this earlier http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/riding-the-1928-tour-de-france-on-vintage-bikes-le-ride-film-released-on-november-9-356909 looks good, but wtf is that about on one viewing?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-aAqR_0te2Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-aAqR_0te2Y</a>

Hm, looks like it was actually released last year. Maybe that's why the CW story vanished from the front page...they have a habit of fucking up and then trying to hide it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:53:32 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34180 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:36 pm »
While watching that, I saw this on youtube...a documentary about the 1953 TdF. Its in Dutch, but we're well used to that right now ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV0wzG3KEgY

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #34181 on: November 10, 2017, 08:48:17 am »
Is there a more useless gang of wet wipes than weather forecasters?  :no

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34182 on: November 10, 2017, 11:06:53 am »
Is there a more useless gang of wet wipes than weather forecasters?  :no

Where's Dave and his voodoo pics?

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #34183 on: November 12, 2017, 01:21:17 pm »
I’d like to get a cheap computer to use while I’m on my turbo, I only really want speed, distance and possibly cadence measured. What would people recommend? Do I literally need a cheap £10 one?

Going to wait till after Christmas and hopefully upgrade my turbo so it’s a Zwift compatible one but I want something cheap and cheerful until then.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34184 on: November 12, 2017, 02:54:23 pm »
I’d like to get a cheap computer to use while I’m on my turbo, I only really want speed, distance and possibly cadence measured. What would people recommend? Do I literally need a cheap £10 one?

Going to wait till after Christmas and hopefully upgrade my turbo so it’s a Zwift compatible one but I want something cheap and cheerful until then.

Speed and distance is easy, for cadence you need an extra sensor.

Speed and distance - a cheap wired computer with a magnet on your wheel will do that. For cadence you need a cadence sensor (essentially the same thing, but it sits behind your cranks and measured when the crank comes past). I don't know if the cheap computers can work with the cadence sensor.

Alternatively you could get a speed and a cadence sensor (Ant+ ones), and Ant+ dongle and use your phone (assuming you have an ok smartphone) or a tablet/laptop as the computer on your turbo.

I don't use Zwift but I think it might work with your current turbo anyway. If you can tell it your speed, it has something they call 'virtual power'. They know how different turbos react under load (the power curve), so as long as Zwift knows your speed, it can also tell you your power. If your turbo is not on the list, try a couple of different ones, one might be similar. Obviously that doesn't allow Zwift to control the turbo, eg the resistance won't increase when the road goes up etc. For that you need a 'two-way smart' turbo.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34185 on: November 14, 2017, 02:26:22 pm »
I'm in work, and I'm counting down the hours until I get to ride my bike. And i'm only riding it to the station. ;D

Why is cycling so addictive?

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #34186 on: November 14, 2017, 09:33:03 pm »
I'm in work, and I'm counting down the hours until I get to ride my bike. And i'm only riding it to the station. ;D

Why is cycling so addictive?

For me its the escape from reality. Riding in the middle of no where without a care in the world!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34187 on: November 15, 2017, 10:17:50 am »
I get on my bike, earphones are in with sexy tunes caressing my lug holes and all my troubles are forgotten.

I did go off cycling for a few months, it's hard to explain really, it's like I lost my MOJO or something.  Maybe I sickened myself because I was out 5 or 6 times per week, on days off from work I could be out twice in a day . . . but I'm back, have been a month or so, only out 2 times a week and really enjoying it.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #34188 on: November 15, 2017, 05:39:06 pm »
Wiggins life a living hell under investigation. Ok. So don't lose tracking information of a special package.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #34189 on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:22 pm »
Wiggins life a living hell under investigation. Ok. So don't lose tracking information of a special package.
Decongestant? Special delivery?

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34190 on: November 18, 2017, 01:55:50 pm »
Hello Billy
Good to see you back mate :wave
+6 ticket exchange

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34191 on: December 20, 2017, 09:01:47 am »
Smells dusty in here.

Can't wait to be off next week and get some decent riding in! :)

Online the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34192 on: December 26, 2017, 11:45:46 pm »
Smells dusty in here.

Can't wait to be off next week and get some decent riding in! :)
Same J haven't been on the bike in a month
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #34193 on: December 27, 2017, 12:59:08 am »
Same J haven't been on the bike in a month
Likewise. I miss the road. It doesn't judge me.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34194 on: December 27, 2017, 06:29:47 pm »

Oh, it does judge me. Was out today, it was laughing at me!

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34195 on: December 28, 2017, 09:49:49 am »

Are you in Slovenia now? How is cycling there?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34196 on: December 30, 2017, 10:19:48 am »
There is always one boliix....sorry cyclist out no matter what the weather is like. I will be rejoining the local crew over the coming weeks as need a wee charity cycle goal for March / April. As I said though I was getting texts for a cycle St Stephens Day when it was 2C and there was a storm on the way. Im definitely a fair weather cyclist and was happy enough to get a few runs in as no way am I going on a bike for 2 plus hours when its 2 fecking celsius :)
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34197 on: December 30, 2017, 08:54:24 pm »
There is always one boliix....sorry cyclist out no matter what the weather is like. I will be rejoining the local crew over the coming weeks as need a wee charity cycle goal for March / April. As I said though I was getting texts for a cycle St Stephens Day when it was 2C and there was a storm on the way. Im definitely a fair weather cyclist and was happy enough to get a few runs in as no way am I going on a bike for 2 plus hours when its 2 fecking celsius :)

Am still riding in shorts. ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34198 on: December 30, 2017, 10:59:48 pm »
2 Degrees, almost tropical.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34199 on: December 31, 2017, 04:18:50 pm »
7 degrees today with 30 mph gusts and sleety rain. Thought I was in the Caribbean but held back on wearing shorts as didnt want the local ladies getting an eyeful of my Dec tan. Just two hours on the bike but held my own as another local club joined us two idiots for a bit. Both left our shoe covers at home as takes me 20 mins to get them on but boy that was a mistake as toes were still blue after I got out of the shower.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I