Author Topic: 2019 in Music  (Read 39529 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Re: 2019 in Music
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2019, 09:22:04 am »
Any value in moving the recent discussion to the Adams thread https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=188387.msg13245143#msg13245143 and locking it until further news - get this one back to music?

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2019, 10:14:27 am »
Any value in moving the recent discussion to the Adams thread https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=188387.msg13245143#msg13245143 and locking it until further news - get this one back to music?

Good idea, mate (gutted as you are to be honest).

-----

"Not feeling hoooppleeeeessss, thirty dozen rooooosssessssss."

Yes, the new Bob Mould album, Sunshine Rock, is winning on all fronts.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2019, 06:58:49 am »

I think it belongs in here because as much as this is a music recommendation thread, I think the real value comes in from having a wider discussion regarding music. Currently, I can't think of a more pertinent issue than the Ryan Adams one, which again isn't just to do with one grumpy and power-hungry artist but with a wider industry that has enabled bad behaviour.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2019, 09:21:44 am »
I think it belongs in here because as much as this is a music recommendation thread, I think the real value comes in from having a wider discussion regarding music. Currently, I can't think of a more pertinent issue than the Ryan Adams one, which again isn't just to do with one grumpy and power-hungry artist but with a wider industry that has enabled bad behaviour.

Needs a seperate thread. It’s a big issue and will pollute this.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2019, 10:33:52 am »
Jessica Pratt is good.

Given the new Panda Bear a few goes. Intriguing.

Tim Presley's White Fence also sneaking into rotation.

Jesus I've liked a lot already this year. Bumper package of stuff in this first sixth of the year.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2019, 03:51:31 pm »
What are White Lies like?...doing a small sesh at Concerto tommorow..might go along if someone sells them to me.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2019, 05:01:00 pm »
What are White Lies like?...doing a small sesh at Concerto tommorow..might go along if someone sells them to me.
Excellent live band. I went to their gig on Friday night.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2019, 05:07:04 pm »
Not from Friday night, but should give you an idea.

https://youtu.be/mT7CCsLVfko

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2019, 08:58:42 am »
I'm loving the new Sharon Van Etten album 'Remind Me Tomorrow' thanks once again to those on here for the heads up. Seventeen is such a good tune as is Comeback Kid and Jupiter4.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2019, 01:04:51 pm »
After the grim news during the last week or so, I think I'm ready to look forward to something new.

I've been looking forward to Julia Jacklin's upcoming release for a few months now and haven't downloaded/streamed the digitally-released 'debut' by Better Oblivion Community Centre yet - both are released properly on Friday.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2019, 08:21:25 am »
After the grim news during the last week or so, I think I'm ready to look forward to something new.

I've been looking forward to Julia Jacklin's upcoming release for a few months now and haven't downloaded/streamed the digitally-released 'debut' by Better Oblivion Community Centre yet - both are released properly on Friday.

Looking forward to Jacklin's album, too. That Better Oblivion Community Centre album is decent. Best thing Conor Oberst has done in years.

New Sleaford Mods tomorrow!!!

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2019, 08:48:02 am »
Thoroughly enjoying the Michael Chapman record True North. Just as good as his previous album.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2019, 01:09:24 pm »
Very enjoyable first listen of Gum Takes Tooth: 'Arrow' album. Will require another go sometime soon. Had to listen to the last track again to work out who it reminded me in parts of it - and yes, am sure it's Aphex Twin from Selected Ambient Works. Felt like a gentle ode or a doffed cap or summat.

Will have to give an immediate 2nd listen to 'Borrowed Lies' in the middle of the album mind. Louder this time.

edit: Hadn't spotted it at first, but 3rd track, 'No Walls, No Air' has a distinct Shit & Shine beat and groove which is no bad thing at all.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:31:53 pm by Filler. »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2019, 04:08:43 pm »
New Sleaford Mods appealing on first listen.

Had a go at Sunwatchers, very intense. Good though not sure how often I will air it.

Cass McCombs still dominating my own personal airwaves. The William Tyler LP is excellent too.

Looking forward to new Hand Habits now.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2019, 05:24:38 pm »
Although it took me a couple of listens to get into, the new Perfect Son album is a good listen. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2019, 06:25:14 pm »
Not from Friday night, but should give you an idea.

https://youtu.be/mT7CCsLVfko

They're playing here in a couple of weeks, bought tickets and now can't wait, should be a great show.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2019, 06:29:17 pm »
They're playing here in a couple of weeks, bought tickets and now can't wait, should be a great show.
I have seen them in the last 3 tours now and they never disappoint. Great if you like an uptempo gig! Enjoy! [emoji106]

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2019, 07:33:07 pm »
Thoroughly enjoying the Michael Chapman record True North. Just as good as his previous album.

It really is. Some fantastic musicianship on it. Produced by Steve Gunn.

Absolutely obsessed with the Julia Jacklin album on first listen. Love her voice.

Cass is also magnificent - Sam and I might need a personal chat about that though as could be a long running thing.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/21/695923867/first-listen-hand-habits-placeholder

New Hand Habits above - on first listen. Meg Duffy really is very talented and this is her most rounded work.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2019, 09:30:46 pm »
Had a go at Sunwatchers, very intense. Good though not sure how often I will air it.

Did Chip Evans give that a heads up? Hope you're all well ;D :( ;D

Am midway thru tell him :thumbup

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2019, 10:53:02 pm »

Yeah I might have mentioned it. The new album is a relentless banger. 

They're a band that feels essential in music now. They live in that joyous place where being worldly, political and being sound goes 99% of the way.  What separates them is they have the chops.

The new album - if you love kraut, of you love skronk, if you love grooves, if you love jazz - it's a loveable rogue.  It's got the lot.  Massive moods, subtlety, a bludgeon, everything.

But to make the case for their album that came out last year - which is a stunner, and the more listen to it, is a top 3 album from last year - if you appreciate space and dynamics, man, Sunwatchers II is a bonafide classic. Listen to the new one, but the last one is a masterpiece.

Hope you are cool, .Filler.

Will give you a holla.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:39:48 am by Chip Evans »

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2019, 08:31:39 am »

Cass McCombs still dominating my own personal airwaves. The William Tyler LP is excellent too.

1-2 punch from 7am and it's been lovely. Tyler is back to his best (thought he missed the mark with Modern Country, but many with disagree with that - fair play).

Cass = stunning. "Tyyin' up looooooose ends, befooore I gotta gooooo..." tune right there.

About to open up Eton Alive and throw it on the platter, but think it's a bit too early...

Hope you're keeping well, mate.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2019, 08:33:29 am »
Another absolute gem despite it being a very foggy terrain...

King Midas Sound - Solitude

It's sounds just like that love letter you never sent to your ex-girlfriend. Heavy weather but a work of art none the less.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2019, 08:46:26 pm »
Yeah I might have mentioned it. The new album is a relentless banger. 

They're a band that feels essential in music now. They live in that joyous place where being worldly, political and being sound goes 99% of the way.  What separates them is they have the chops.

The new album - if you love kraut, of you love skronk, if you love grooves, if you love jazz - it's a loveable rogue.  It's got the lot.  Massive moods, subtlety, a bludgeon, everything.

But to make the case for their album that came out last year - which is a stunner, and the more listen to it, is a top 3 album from last year - if you appreciate space and dynamics, man, Sunwatchers II is a bonafide classic. Listen to the new one, but the last one is a masterpiece.

Hope you are cool, .Filler.

Will give you a holla.

May need to buy Sunwatchers II. Wanted it, but couldn't find a copy in UK till the other day. May need to buy the new one plus the Minutemen love in LP which is glorious tooThink I agree with them feeling essential... they certainly wear a few hats I find attractive, and musically, they kick ass, and still got loads to offer. Hoping they get themselves to UK sometime. Should be a blast.

Am good cheers. Cheers Simon too (will check King Midas). Hopefully getting phone sorted next week. I miss it!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2019, 08:53:52 am »
This mornings gospel listening:

https://fromthestacks.bandcamp.com/album/passages-from-the-cuca-gospel

Lovely gospel recordings, not much info about it around though.

Now on the Jessica Pratt LP. It's lovely. What a strange beguiling voice. Very close to being too whimsical but keeps just the right side for me. Ideal for a Sunday morning.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2019, 09:00:28 am »

Now on the Jessica Pratt LP. It's lovely. What a strange beguiling voice. Very close to being too whimsical but keeps just the right side for me. Ideal for a Sunday morning.

Agree on this.

It is also a perfect length.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2019, 12:01:47 pm »

Finally cottoned on. Knew there was something here but just needed the right place to listen and consume which has been found - the source? A nice walk through Sefton Park.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2019, 12:38:43 pm »
So the BBC 6 Music Festival is coming to Liverpool this year, 29-31st March: https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status/1100322199209238530?s=09

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:43:02 pm by jackh »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2019, 12:10:20 am »
Given the new Panda Bear a few goes. Intriguing.

Yep. A real change of approach for him in some respects. Really enjoying it

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: March 1, 2019, 11:47:15 pm »
May need to buy Sunwatchers II.

Done. (I think)

Before the game yesterday, I whispered in my ear that I had to buy the same number of records as goals scored. It was literally the smallest whisper, but nevertheless, have celebrated by buying that same number tonight. Was tense. Would like us to keep it down to 2 on Sunday.

edit (duh, 2019)... yes, bought the NEW Sunwatchers LP too.

edit 2: this one: https://sunwatchers.bandcamp.com/ (Gatefold aswell... see? Also opens with a song called New Dad Blues.)
« Last Edit: March 1, 2019, 11:56:11 pm by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 5, 2019, 10:48:46 am »
Really enjoyed this just now... Gonçalo Penas: Ego De Espinhos

https://goncalopenas.bandcamp.com/album/ego-de-espinhos

'Continuing Subtext’s exploratory electronics and devastating sonics is the expansive Ego De Espinhos, the debut full-length from twenty-two year old Porto, Portugal-based artist Gonçalo Penas.

Described by Penas as a series of “self-exorcisms,” Ego De Espinhos is the cathartic outcome of a highly introspective process. Shaped by opposing forces and instincts, the LP touches on themes that are at once intimate, yet omnipresent. Splendor confronts destruction; id confronts super-ego.

Created solely with digital instruments designed and built by the artist, Ego De Espinhos is the result of Penas’ improvisations. Tracks such as “Introdução, Umbigo” and “Tecto Falso” were recorded in one take, and evidence a stark, dramatic emotional palette.

The release begins as Penas chooses to reject rigidities, customs and conventions of experimental electronic music. Of his process, Penas says: “Personally, I feel that creation should come from a completely free act of will. It is a place where there should be no rules, no expectations, no rights and no wrongs.”'

Offline Thehunter1978

• Anny Roader
« Reply #150 on: March 5, 2019, 05:17:47 pm »
New The National album being released on the 17th May!

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #151 on: March 5, 2019, 07:17:29 pm »
New song from The National. Not a huge fan immediately. This band can do no wrong in my eyes though, so I'm going to listen to it until I love it, which shouldn't take long. Can't wait for the new album.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lBcVrb-snPk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lBcVrb-snPk</a>

They're also releasing a short film, starring Alicia Vikander, which looks beautiful.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/M2Uow9aNCRU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/M2Uow9aNCRU</a>

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #152 on: March 6, 2019, 06:44:29 pm »
I like The National when the music is sad and depressing. They are brilliant at that. That`s too joyful for me.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #153 on: March 7, 2019, 12:01:03 pm »
I know Cassiel no longer posts on here but thought of him after giving Robert Forster's new album, Inferno, a spin. Didn't like his last one but this is absolutely gorgeous. Up your street, Nick.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #154 on: March 7, 2019, 02:38:11 pm »
http://otwradio.blogspot.com/2019/03/playlist-2nd-march-2019.html?m=1

Once again lads I'm here to promote OTW... a brilliant programme from last Saturday...with an Hour mix from New Yoiks FRKWY records (RVNG.int)..ambient/electronic/ acoustic ..all sorts..brilliant...plus show has some mad Greek and Mexican tunes..Norwegian Ballet soundtrack...and French Psyche pop....something for everyone!! ..ok not everyone. Also talk of Beatherder which I regret never attending.

Got a couple of hours of pottering around put this on.

I could easily listen to this programme and no other music for rest of the month...in fact I might

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 7, 2019, 03:34:39 pm »
I know Cassiel no longer posts on here but thought of him after giving Robert Forster's new album, Inferno, a spin. Didn't like his last one but this is absolutely gorgeous. Up your street, Nick.

That's a shame, I enjoyed his recommendations.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #156 on: March 7, 2019, 05:59:13 pm »
I know a little late but the new Steve Gunn album is a good listen. [emoji106]

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 7, 2019, 07:19:44 pm »
Was reading an interview with Cass McCombs, and he's combined my two favourite things:

"Do you have a lot of guitars?"

"Kind of. They’re spread all over the country. Yeah. I love guitars. Each one has 100 songs in them, for each person who touches them. We should all just share our guitars. There should be lending libraries for guitars. Everyone should have them."

Libraries. Guitars. I would work in a guitar library for sure. Hit me up anytime you want to open one, McCombs.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #158 on: March 8, 2019, 10:52:35 am »
Was reading an interview with Cass McCombs, and he's combined my two favourite things:

"Do you have a lot of guitars?"

"Kind of. They’re spread all over the country. Yeah. I love guitars. Each one has 100 songs in them, for each person who touches them. We should all just share our guitars. There should be lending libraries for guitars. Everyone should have them."

Libraries. Guitars. I would work in a guitar library for sure. Hit me up anytime you want to open one, McCombs.

Brilliant that. What interview was that, Sam? He doesn't do that many and I know he got a four page spread in last month's Mojo.

The new album is so good. Really coming on strong.

So, too, Julia Jacklin's. Big winner right there.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #159 on: March 8, 2019, 10:56:00 am »
Brilliant that. What interview was that, Sam? He doesn't do that many and I know he got a four page spread in last month's Mojo.

The new album is so good. Really coming on strong.

So, too, Julia Jacklin's. Big winner right there.

I've got this, but haven't yet had the free hour to dedicate myself to it - it'll probably be this weekend.  Same with Better Oblivion Community Center - who's album, after physical release on 21/02, took an absolute age to arrive  ;D

Good start to the year for me though, when you add Sharon van Etten and The Twilight Sad's records to that.  Might even tentatively see what Weezer have done  :-X