Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
In the words of the Angelic Upstarts,"Student power what a shower".
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Last post by us_col on Today at 06:20:48 pm »
People may want to look at where he was for the first goal as well.
Is there any particular reason why so many are pro-Amorim but anti-Slot? I only have rudimentary knowledge on both, but the parallels between the two are quite striking. Both managing in 2 European league outside the top 5, taking the 3rd biggest club of their respective divisions, ending a title drought, winning a domestic club and playing attractive football whilst doing it.

Without the requisite tactical insight which I'm almost certain very few people on his forum actually have, I'm seeing no reason why one represents more of a risk than the other.

Yeah I don't see any difference here at all.

Both managers had similar levels of achievement, both managers seem pretty exciting, who knows where their ceiling is. It will be cool to have some Dutch coaching influences here at Anfield. It was the Ajax game in the European Cup that prompted Shankly to implement the pass and move style here in the 1960s, and there's been no greater influence on post-war European football than the Dutch.

I'm really looking forward to it. No that doesn't mean I think he will be Klopp Part II, but if I can enjoy the football and support the man - which I think is realistic given his track record - that's what's important to me. First and foremost, it should be a joy to support Liverpool FC and I don't want to sell our soul for trophies by hiring a Simeone.

Supporting Liverpool is not about winning trophies, it goes beyond that. First and foremost, the ideals, values and style has to be there. Winning without such principles is pointless and shallow and I have no interest in today's depersonalised, globalised game if we were to go down the 'win at any cost' route.

This is why somebody like Slot can excite the fanbase, because it very possibly fits the ideals of this club. These are the ingredients that should lead to success. To criticise those who are backing the Slot appointment is to not understand this.
Worth it if he brings the guy who sang at the fall of the Berlin Wall with him.

Scorpions?
Dont agree, the biggest amount of money needs always to be spent at the top end of the field.

Without knowing who the new manager is, what system he wants to play, or who’s leaving, I’m not sure where the biggest amount of money needs to be spent this summer.

But I do know we need a CB with Matip leaving. Not a 4th choice one like Sepp, a top drawer one who hopefully becomes Virgil.2
General Football and Sport / Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Last post by Crosby Nick on Today at 06:18:49 pm »
Yes, our fixtures are tough. To win, we need Abu Dhabi to slip up twice, not once.

Do you? Aren’t you two points behind if both teams keep winning and get to level games? And you have a better GD.

I’m scared to look at the table so apologies if I’m wrong.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by Mister Flip Flop on Today at 06:18:38 pm »
I’d be inclined to do the same.

I doubt we have a player who was playing at a high level before injury, has a long lay off and is poor post injury but age is the determining factor in decline.

Might eventually be true but the most logical explanation is probably around rhythm post injury and struggles across the team.

I’d keep him next season even if it means running down his contract. Senior players could be really helpful transitioning to a new manager. Would be understanding if we sold him and re-invested so it’s not like I’m locked in on keeping him being the only sensible solution. Just my preferred one is to keep.

Unfortunately we aren't in a position as a club to keep an asset like Mo another season to help a new manager. If selling him now means that's the difference between the manager bringing in one or two new strikers or not it's a no brainer. It's possible he doesn't even get the minutes next season and the media turns it into the "grumpy Salah on the subs bench" circus, that won't help anyone especially a new manager with those pricks at Sky asking him about it every week.

It's shit but sometimes it's best to do the hard thing and move on.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Last post by red mongoose on Today at 06:18:14 pm »
Beck is, I thought Chambers was more a left center back come full back.

Cheers, mate. We'd save an assload of money if Beck turns into a Bradley regen.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Last post by Sammy5IsAlive on Today at 06:16:41 pm »
He's always been defensively vulnerable in those kinds of situations. He ends ball watching and doesn't check for a player making that run behind him.

To be fair I think the open play back post situation is one that most 'natural' fullbacks (i.e. the ones that aren't converted CBs) struggle with. It used to be pretty much the only time that Ashley Cole used to look vulnerable.

That set piece is really poor though. By the time the ball gets over to him it is too late and he probably isn't winning a header against Calvert Lewin however good his body language. But there seems to be a complete lack of awareness and communication from him to try and prevent that from happening.

I've never had a problem with his physical commitment or his competitiveness. But his concentration defensively is a massive issue and it feels like it is not something he is even trying to improve.

Maybe he has decided that he is now a central midfielder (whether that be from an inverted RB position or a conventional midfield position) and not a defender. I'm not actually sure if he can hack it as a top level CM - he gets played around way to easily out of possession and whilst he is exceptional once he gets his head up on the ball he never looks completely comfortable in the confined spaces when he is hurried. In a funny kind of way it feels a bit like how Gerrard always wanted to play as a box to box CM in the middle of everything but was much more productive playing in other positions where he had the space to make his talent count.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10